Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Another deck builder that I'm a fan of is Monster train. You pick a combo of two different monster races, a champion and go to town.

Battles are fought on three different floors.

I find the game a lot less mechanically tight then something like slay the spire, but I find it more enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Demon_Corsair posted:

Another deck builder that I'm a fan of is Monster train.

99% of the thread is also fan of it, lol.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
One of my favourite things about roguelikes (mind, I'm pretty new to them) has been finally getting a decent run after something mysterious clicks in my head, and I have my pathetic high scores from before completely eclipsed. Such happened in DCSS tonight. ^^ (Had the same in Jupiter Hell a few days before.)

(A few online weren't scored locally, but they were in the same ballpark.)

Of course I died because I got cocky, but that's part of the fun; was still great feeling to find an amazing little sword perfect for dealing with Hydras. Anyone else familiar with this feeling? Or miss it?

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
DCSS opens up so much once you can hit the branches consistently. For hydras, I seem to recall that axes are the best way to dispatch them for some reason.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Flaming. You want flaming weapons if you're bringing a blade to a hydra fight. Otherwise, smash them with maces, perforate them with stabbing weapons, or better yet, kill them using spells or ranged attacks. The best way to melee a hydra is not to.

e: although everybody should experience the catharsis of absolutely pulping one with a Giant Spiked Club at least once.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011

Maenad posted:

Anyone else familiar with this feeling? Or miss it?

I love this exact feeling, seeing the scoreboard with my new run right on top, not even close in points. In no small part it’s fun because it’s a challenge to prove it wasn’t a fluke & I can do that well.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Turin Turambar posted:

99% of the thread is also fan of it, lol.

The 1% is me. I still haven't figured out exactly why I just don't have much fun with it given how much I like pretty much every other entry in the genre I've played, but I put in less than 20 hours with it compared to the absurd amount of hours I've played StS, Griftlands, and Roguebook.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I may not have spent enough time with it to learn, but I didn't like Monster Train because it felt like every champion had a specific intended build, and the superior strategy was always ignoring 2 of the 3 floors of your tower and making one designated kill-floor. I hate when a game has a unique gimmick (like the 3 floors/play areas in Monster Train) and then makes it inefficient to engage with. I guess I still played it for 53 hours and beat it once as everyone but it felt like I had far less freedom in it than in any other deck builder game I've played. And the boss gimmicks were super incredibly un-fun - they display the last boss's gimmick to you immediately when you start a new run because it's a random selection of a few different ones and some of them hard-counter various builds you might do, so you have to restart or build around it if that build is what your champion does.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Nov 29, 2021

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Are there any good roguelikes/roguelites that play like Dungeon Master/Captive or indeed Grimrock for something less retro? So a realtime first person 3d dungeon crawl but with the kind of step by step and 90 degree turn movement that those games have rather than fully free movement?

Speaking of D&D roguelikes, there is Dungeon Hack from 1993. It's not perfect, but it was fun back in the day. Not sure how it would hold up compared to modern day games and UIs.You can get it in this bundle: https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_three

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
There is The Red Prison for closer to modern D&D Roguelike trappings, which slumbers at the moment for the last while.

https://patjw.itch.io/theredprison

Zorbus for more classical D&D Roguelike trappings, which takes power naps here and there but somehow maintains momentum still.

https://www.zorbus.net/

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I slept on Monster Train for a long time and I regret it because it really is a lot of fun. Where Slay the Spire is a tight, technical game, Monster Train is all about power ramping. The game throws that right in your face after your first win when the first covenant rank grants the (original) final boss a huge HP boost. I put it down while climbing the ranks around covenant 15 but I never really felt very constrained or railroaded (ha) in strategy. I'm getting the urge to play it again though.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

deep dish peat moss posted:

I may not have spent enough time with it to learn, but I didn't like Monster Train because it felt like every champion had a specific intended build, and the superior strategy was always ignoring 2 of the 3 floors of your tower and making one designated kill-floor. I hate when a game has a unique gimmick (like the 3 floors/play areas in Monster Train) and then makes it inefficient to engage with. I guess I still played it for 53 hours and beat it once as everyone but it felt like I had far less freedom in it than in any other deck builder game I've played. And the boss gimmicks were super incredibly un-fun - they display the last boss's gimmick to you immediately when you start a new run because it's a random selection of a few different ones and some of them hard-counter various builds you might do, so you have to restart or build around it if that build is what your champion does.

Gotta disagree here - the factions are highly flexible. There are a bunch of potential floor schemes you can work out for different build types too. I've had fights go totally sideways and force me to rearrange my floor-builds on the fly, only to scrape by with a win and a totally new strategic take on my deck. The designated kill floor thing works better for some setups than others but is a not a functional plan for certain floors. Relics can completely change the way the floors interact.

One of my favorite qualities of MT is the way shop upgrades allow you to gradually refine your deck concept throughout a run, and those upgrades truly define your capabilites. Due to that and some other factors I'd wager that the builds in MT are more varied and loose than Slay the Spire, though I've only made it to Ascension 6 in that so I could wrong.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Decided to drop the <$2 on Starward Rogue's DLC, because even though the game sucks, I want it to be good.

edit: apparently it got a big update last week out of the blue? huh. maybe it's actually better now.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 30, 2021

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i took a couple of separated breaks from gunfire reborn during it's development, but i have to say that now that it's out in 1.0 it just feels like such a polished game now. finally catching up on some of the later characters i never played until now, and those combined with the new weapons/scrolls/etc. all tied up with having more to work towards in the form of a true final zone all make it a really refined experience. the bunny and tiger characters especially are some of my favorites lately.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Johnny Joestar posted:

i took a couple of separated breaks from gunfire reborn during it's development, but i have to say that now that it's out in 1.0 it just feels like such a polished game now. finally catching up on some of the later characters i never played until now, and those combined with the new weapons/scrolls/etc. all tied up with having more to work towards in the form of a true final zone all make it a really refined experience. the bunny and tiger characters especially are some of my favorites lately.

The bunny character looks so incredibly out of place compared to the rest of the characters. That's really my only complaint about the game. It's amazing.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

poemdexter posted:

The bunny character looks so incredibly out of place compared to the rest of the characters. That's really my only complaint about the game. It's amazing.

funny thing about that! her face used to look worse and kinda more humanoid, which i guess played into the game dev coward tactic of making their women characters inherently less monstrous which is rampant in games for whatever reason in particular.

then the players pretty much actively bullied the devs about it enough to where they gave her one that's much better and less overtly weird. but yeah, it's kinda funny to think about. that all said the game is absolutely a blast, especially with others. it's been in dev for a long time and it's really worth checking out since i feel as far as that subgenre (roguelite fps) goes it's one of the best.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

juggalo baby coffin posted:

i really liked the original starcrawlers so i will buy chimera and see how it is

This but i am waiting for it to be out of ea

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

Johnny Joestar posted:

funny thing about that! her face used to look worse and kinda more humanoid, which i guess played into the game dev coward tactic of making their women characters inherently less monstrous which is rampant in games for whatever reason in particular.

then the players pretty much actively bullied the devs about it enough to where they gave her one that's much better and less overtly weird. but yeah, it's kinda funny to think about. that all said the game is absolutely a blast, especially with others. it's been in dev for a long time and it's really worth checking out since i feel as far as that subgenre (roguelite fps) goes it's one of the best.

It and Ziggurat 2 both coming out of EA around the same time make for two of the best.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Johnny Joestar posted:

just quoting this to reinforce that Bunny was incredibly Literal Human with rabbit ears uncanny valley in a game where literally every character, hero or enemy, has done a fantastic job of sticking to the cartoony anthro animal aesthetic they have going. They slowly adjusted over multiple patches how Tao (the bunny) looked until now she finally fit in with the rest of the game.

Gunfire Reborn is real good FPS roguelite with pretty tight design and some of the best intuitive teaching I've seen in such a game to boot. It also being one of the actual co-op roguelites out there really gives it a strong niche. Big recommend, I've got a close to 200 hours in it at this point and can see many more happening.

edit: y'know what? Have a picture comparison

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 30, 2021

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Farquar posted:

Speaking of D&D roguelikes, there is Dungeon Hack from 1993. It's not perfect, but it was fun back in the day. Not sure how it would hold up compared to modern day games and UIs.You can get it in this bundle: https://www.gog.com/game/forgotten_realms_the_archives_collection_three

Dungeon Hack looks great thanks , and I'm in the roguelike thread so a modern UI is clearly surplus to requirements :v:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Gunfire Reborn is very good. If you're not already sold on it consider this: One of the strongest builds is playing as a good boy dog who loves grenades and starts throwing grenades so fast that they can't stop until an endless stream of grenades vomits out of their mouth like a dragon with grenade breath.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Dungeon Hack looks great thanks , and I'm in the roguelike thread so a modern UI is clearly surplus to requirements :v:

Just want to chime in and say that a huge amount of my childhood was spent beating my head against dungeon hack and it is still, 20+ years later, incredibly fun.

Phone edit: spelling is hard.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Evil Kit posted:

just quoting this to reinforce that Bunny was incredibly Literal Human with rabbit ears uncanny valley in a game where literally every character, hero or enemy, has done a fantastic job of sticking to the cartoony anthro animal aesthetic they have going. They slowly adjusted over multiple patches how Tao (the bunny) looked until now she finally fit in with the rest of the game.
I actually remember thinking that when she was new, glad to see it's changed. The difference is more obvious in profile tbh since she's got a more rabbit-like nose now

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Evil Kit posted:

edit: y'know what? Have a picture comparison

yyyyyikes lmao

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

yeah, it was a pretty notable thing because all the other designs in the game are great and it has a really solid aesthetic in general. then that character first released and people basically went 'the gently caress is going on with her face?'

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

IronicDongz posted:

I actually remember thinking that when she was new, glad to see it's changed. The difference is more obvious in profile tbh since she's got a more rabbit-like nose now

the irony of this is that the most rabbit thing about her original release design was her nose, like you could kind of see what they were going for? But put next to all the other characters it was just so surreal how human looking she was. Now it looks much better of course.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally bought Synthetik 2 and I'm sorry I ever doubted it, it's great. It's clearly Early Access and doesn't have as much content variety as Synthetik yet but the pace of updates is already great and the roadmap is solid and it already feels great. There are way too many quality of life improvements over the first game to list them all and it feels so much more comfortable to play. For example, you no longer have to manage hotkeyed items - your class has four active abilities (a dash, a defensive utility skill, an offensive utlity skill, and an offensive skill), and all items trigger passively through things like using your defensive utility skill, dashing, losing armor plating, etc. This encourages you to keep using all of your abilities and makes every item come out naturally during play - my Chrono Trooper can drop a forcefield bubble which triggers my DMR Sentry turret to drop. I found one of the summon items (Elite Bodyguards or something) which summons two troopers as bodyguards any time 4 enemies are nearby. There are several different upgrade systems throughout a run and for the most part they feel pretty exciting to get, there's always more to it than just "do more damage" even if it's cosmetic or whatever. Weapon Upgrade Kits are replaced by Weapon Upgrade Points which you stockpile and use to buy mods on weapons, weapons gain experience and level up (not sure if this persists through runs or not yet), there are stations that let you choose one item to upgrade and each item has multiple upgrade paths available to it, there are already 12 different classes (4 classes each with 3 distinct sub-classes) and it seems like several more are coming... It's clear to see the direction it's headed in and it's a very good one, and I'm having a lot of fun with it in the meantime. It's a nice case of Early Access done right ("Here's a fun game, fully complete and playable to the end, we're going to improve it and pack in way more content over the following months"). My only complaint is no multiplayer yet.

Also:

All of the weapons feel like over the top Robocop weapons so far. ARs that shoot explosive rounds, high powered laser rifles, dual shotgun revolvers, giant rocket launchers, etc. They nailed the weapon feel just as well as in the first game if not better.

And the overhaul of the lore/visual style/art direction really, really nailed it. I don't know how to describe it exactly but it has the same sort of feel that Mirror's Edge did for me - lots of clean, solid colored surfaces, high contrast, liminal spaces full of post-battle carnage like papers flittering in the wind, soft lighting. The new enemy/robot designs are waaaaaay better than the original game and they feel distinctly like, 80s-brand retrofuture maybe? They look like giant modems that adapted turrets into themselves and they chirp at you as they fire, and there are robot dogs

Oh, yeah, also it already has full modding support with an in-game mod browser and dedicated in-game modding tools accesed from the main menu:

I'm very excited to see where all of this leads and the way the whole modding system is structured makes me think of something like Warcraft 3 where the community could create all kinds of creative custom game modes and content that ended up being widely played. There are already about 40 mods up which add new classes, weapons from other games (Binding of Isaac, Titanfall, Destiny, Hyper Light Drifter...) etc.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 2, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

deep dish peat moss posted:

That is my biggest issue with the game as well. You have 3 floors, but the way draw mechanics work you generally don't want more then 2-3 units. Unless you are doing some sort of gimmick build you are generally just playing on the top floor.

And damage scaling seems to be almost entirely based on getting multistrike on at least one guy or you are very unlikely to be able to scale enough to kill the beefcakes in the later fights.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Ciaphas posted:

yyyyyikes lmao

The bird character looks like a bird. The dog character looks like a dog. But the bunny character just... what.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Demon_Corsair posted:

Unless you are doing some sort of gimmick build you are generally just playing on the top floor.

:dafuq:

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
On a separate note, I just ended a fantastic run in Dredgers due to clicking "Apply" on a potion of acid. The only two options are Quaff and Apply and quaff definitely hurts if you're drinking acid. I thought apply would apply acid potion to my weapon, but instead it just applied it to my face I guess because I died almost instantly and way faster than if I quaffed it. WTF.

There's also no end game I don't think yet because I was on dungeon level 25+ or so. I was pretty much on autopilot with my bow that had piercing, enemy seeking, 10k dmg, and guaranteed crit on enemies with full health.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Demon_Corsair posted:

That is my biggest issue with the game as well. You have 3 floors, but the way draw mechanics work you generally don't want more then 2-3 units. Unless you are doing some sort of gimmick build you are generally just playing on the top floor.

And damage scaling seems to be almost entirely based on getting multistrike on at least one guy or you are very unlikely to be able to scale enough to kill the beefcakes in the later fights.

how far did you get into it? i can't imagine just playing on the top floor works past a certain covenant.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Foul Fowl posted:

how far did you get into it? i can't imagine just playing on the top floor works past a certain covenant.

That's when you switch to just playing on the middle floor (or sometimes the bottom floor).

I put a fair few hours into Monster Train and eventually reached a point somewhere around C11 where it just wasn't fun any more. You're trying to get one of an increasingly small number of viable combos. If you get one you romp, if you don't you lose slowly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Jedit posted:

I put a fair few hours into Monster Train and eventually reached a point somewhere around C11 where it just wasn't fun any more. You're trying to get one of an increasingly small number of viable combos. If you get one you romp, if you don't you lose slowly.
If that was something you had to do then people wouldn't be getting stupid win streaks at C20.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/motiontwin/stat...%5Es1_&ref_url=

6M units sold.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
So is that finally it? I've skipped the last few DLC waiting for it all to be done. Will this finally be the end?

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Chin Strap posted:

So is that finally it? I've skipped the last few DLC waiting for it all to be done.

Why?

Smith Comma John
Nov 21, 2007

Human being for president.

Foul Fowl posted:

The only reason to not play top is if you can't snipe curse enemies, basically. The benefits of being able to scale and nuke enemies for an extra turn are huge, especially since deploying your units eats up draws and energy for 1-2 turns.

On a different note, I think including the multi strike upgrade was a big mistake for balance. It may not be strictly necessary to win, but it sure can make a run far easier if you see it.

I've put in 300 hours and I still love the game but I strictly play with RisingDusk's balance mod since it powers up the strangely underpowered units and infusions that are frequent in the base game and lets you do cool stuff like kill-scaling your spell power.

Smith Comma John fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 1, 2021

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
While I don't necessarily agree with some of the other complaints posted, I do completely agree that Multistrike is in a weird place design-wise. Most sources of it seem to follow the same perfectly reasonable ethos - you apply it alongside Fragile, or get it on units that die really fast (low health, Burnout, etc). But then that whole dynamic is turned on its ear by the existence of an upgrade stone that gives Multistrike with no downsides. Why bother drafting one of those flimsy Multistrike units and trying to play around its flimsiness when you can just buy Multistrike for your enormous shitwrecking bulldozer demon? That one upgrade so badly outshines all other buyable upgrades and all other sources of Multistrike that it's actually kind of bizarre.

Anyway, Monster Train still owns imo. The variety, the weirdness, the fun nasty combos you can invent, the aesthetic, the kickass soundtrack, the melty candle people, all of it. Fantastic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Foul Fowl posted:

I think I'm at covenant 14 or 15 right now.

I find if you are trying to play multiple floors you risk getting units in the wrong order and then suddenly half your units are dead because you didn't get that tank you needed.