Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Riatsala posted:

Coming in late to say that Golden Sun had a great soundtrack for a GBA game.

I was thinking about saying that as well. So I booted up YouTube to check and just listened to it in the background instead. Great soundtracks, great games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Really glad Mafia 3 had a demo available on Steam, the driving is loving awful. Couldn't take more than a couple of minutes before giving up.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

Really glad Mafia 3 had a demo available on Steam, the driving is loving awful. Couldn't take more than a couple of minutes before giving up.

The character controls are awkward too.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Agreed. Someone mentioned that it's "satisfyingly heavy" and makes the character feel more like a juggernaut, but all I could feel was annoyed. Open world GTA-likes that aren't Saints Row 4 have crappy movement.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Messenger:

If you're going to die hundreds of times why even have that stupid death-mechanic? Why not just respawn you at the start of the screen instead if your game is platform-hell? Celeste was hard but it never made you re-do already conquered zones before new attempts at a harder part.

If the second half is Metroidvania why are there only 6 fast-travel points when there are 15 levels? Why not let you fast-travel to any checkpoint you unlock in the second-half? Most of the areas are not conductive to backtracking and a major pain to do backwards.

Why do you sometimes have to to grapple on enemies over bottomless pits, except these enemies can move erratically and on their own accord?

Why is the shuriken so lame? Enemies respawn immediately, not when you change screens, which makes the long-range option mostly useless.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 17:41 on Jul 14, 2019

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Messenger:

Why do you sometimes have to to grapple on enemies over bottomless pits, except these enemies can move erratically and on their own accord?

The ghosts in Cloud Temple, right? They loving suck. You basically have to keep dying over and over again until you've memorized the room well enough that you can go into it an immediately rope hook your way through it. It feels loving bad rear end when you finally nail it, but ffs, it's a slog until you've mastered it and I had having to do that for every second room.

Oh and the limited portals are the biggest problem dragging down the game. I've gotten really good at traversing the levels, but it feels like a lot of padding.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Oh jesus, there's a long chase set-piece that's worse than the Diggernaut from Metroid.

I'm starting to think all the old games that had long sequences with no healing or checkpoints where just pissing me off to extend the runtime.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Diablo 3 - Weapons are often cosmetically irrelevant to the actual attacks, especially for wizards and witch doctors.
"Cool, a flaming sword!" *Throws a jar of spiders*

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Eclipse12 posted:

Diablo 3 - Weapons are often cosmetically irrelevant to the actual attacks, especially for wizards and witch doctors.
"Cool, a flaming sword!" *Throws a jar of spiders*

What do you think sets the spiders on fire?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That just sounds like good battle strategy, if you saw a dude running up with a jar of spiders you'd probably just grab a butterfly net or something.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

And the game (or at least the demo) opened with having to slowly drive a heavy van across town without attracting police attention. Excitement!

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I saw a rumour - not necessarily substantiated! - that SE were considering a revamp of the FF14 base game and potentially a SP version (the new expansion seems to set some groundwork for this with the NPC parties?) so I'm hoping to get into it if that turns out to be true. I got the base game on Humble years ago but have never really tried it.

Unlikely. They already overhauled the base game once and while there seems to be some acknowledgement 2.0 is functional at best, they seem to prefer to just sell players a level skip potion and let them skip it if they really don't want to deal with it.

While the trust system (The NPC parties) do seem to be a new standard, it only applies to the required story dungeons and nothing else. They will likely expand it over time but the big wrench in the system is while it can cover dungeons just fine (they're not bad, just often slower than real people), the trials (larger boss battles without any chafe monsters in the middle) still require a party and I don't see that changing. FFXIV is really big on movement and positioning. Reading telegraphed attacks is super important and rather especially the content from the past few years can get pretty ridiculous in how much it expects you to do. The AI of the trusts just isn't quite that good and while I'm sure developing a scripted system could be possible, you make them too good and they obsolete multiplayer entirely, and there goes your market.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I can't for the life of me kill this orange ogre in The Messenger. It has the standard plethora of moves bull-rushing into a wall, the fastball-special, and slapping you in the face with it's dirty loin-cloth. It's weak-spot by getting hit while stunned or being hit from behind. It also has two bullshit moves, a boulder-toss and elbow drop that both home in on the player with their massive hitboxes. The guy below makes it look easy but it's frustrating to contend with a move that's aimed at your exact location in the last half-second.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsk-B7HkBZs

Yes I beat these assholes 45 seconds after making this post bit still, homing-attacks suck.

This is gonna blow your mind since the guy in the video didn't figure it out:

You can cloud-step to jump over the red ogre and hit him the whole way he's walking across the screen, instead of waiting at the edge to wall jump.
Just jump, hit him, you won't do any damage but you're allowed to jump again over his head.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

RagnarokAngel posted:

Unlikely. They already overhauled the base game once and while there seems to be some acknowledgement 2.0 is functional at best, they seem to prefer to just sell players a level skip potion and let them skip it if they really don't want to deal with it.

I think he might be confusing hearing talk about a similar thing for FFXI. I know there's been talk of them making some type of new, probably-mobile game out of its assets, because it's the only game in the series that can't be ported anywhere in its current state and also will definitely die sooner rather than later. I think that project has stalled out (if it ever existed), but it makes sense given how big a footprint FFXI gets in their FF crossover games.

The only thing I could see them doing with XIV in terms of making 2.0 more welcoming is to extend the Trust system down to that level range. But even that wouldn't help in its current form, because even the dev team agrees on the single biggest pain point for the whole of 2.0; Trusts aren't currently at a state where they can alleviate the problems with Caestrum Meridianum and the Praetorium.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really don't like the Godhome DLC for Hollow Knight. And because I'm something of a broken individual, it brings down the rest of the game for me as well.

See, I want the platinum trophy (aforementioned broken person that I am). One of the trophies is to beat the Godhome DLC, a part of which involves fighting every single boss in the game, powered up, in a row. gently caress that. Can't do it.

But because I know I won't be able to do that, the incentive to do other stuff, like the Grimm Troupe DLC, or the Grey Mourner's quest, is greatly diminished.

So basically, this DLC is literally dragging this game down for me.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Morpheus posted:

I really don't like the Godhome DLC for Hollow Knight. And because I'm something of a broken individual, it brings down the rest of the game for me as well.

See, I want the platinum trophy (aforementioned broken person that I am). One of the trophies is to beat the Godhome DLC, a part of which involves fighting every single boss in the game, powered up, in a row. gently caress that. Can't do it.

But because I know I won't be able to do that, the incentive to do other stuff, like the Grimm Troupe DLC, or the Grey Mourner's quest, is greatly diminished.

I feel that. I hadn’t yet tried the speed run or steel soul runs before I had to cheese the hell out of Nightmare Grimm by hammering the pause button to make out what the hell he was doing, so I don’t think Godhome is for me.

The devs of Rogue Legacy ruined my 100% Steam achievements screen by adding some hard mode bosses that you fight as a predetermined character (So you can’t level up if it’s too hard), and later added another achievement to beat the game having only lost a pretty small number of lives.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Yesssss.

I came in way late on SotN. I'd already played all the GBA games, and very soon after played Dawn of Sorrow.

SotN is an important game to the genre. But it shows its age in a lot of ways, and every game of its sort after took on it and built on the formula.

For sure. Sotn was like my fifth igavania and the nostalgia glasses is real with that one for so many people! A dope game all around but the DS ones are way better, along with Aria on gba. I did like sotn better than Harmony and cotm, but Harmony is just poor man's sotn and cotm has a much better difficulty curve than sotn.

I too would have likely had my mind blown by it back in 1985 or whatever. I played it on my Vita in 2012 however and eh, it wasnt a bad time. I wanted to switch over the superior DS games during much of my playthru

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I love SotN, but that was the first real Castlevania game I played. It's still a good game, but they've definitely improved on that formula with the GBA and DS games. Bloodstained is pretty well a spiritual sequel, and well worth playing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I picked up Golf Club 2019 for cheap on the Xbone, and I don't know if I'm complaining about a poor implementation or just modern golf games in general, but I'm feeling really down on analogue stick swinging at the moment. It just feels like the game gives you a total lack of useful feedback for how the swing is translating from the stick to the game. It's hard enough to even get close to straight by feel without just constantly staring at the gamepad, and I've played a number of holes without even feeling like I understand the timing and power in the slightest. It's like a black box, trying to put in a good swing and seeing what combination of upswing speed/downswing speed/power comes out, ignoring whether the shot even goes out straight or not :shrug:

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Well, I remember loving Symphony of the Night, and Bloodstained is practically a shot-for-shot remake of SotN but you play as Soma Cruz instead of Alucard, so it's probably just as good as I remember. The voice acting is just as good, too!

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Morpheus posted:

I haven't even bothered with any of the DLC because I can't finish White Castle. I know I can go back and do those even without having the Kingsoul or Void Heart, but WC burnt me out so hard that I just don't care to do it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Inco posted:

I haven't even bothered with any of the DLC because I can't finish White Castle. I know I can go back and do those even without having the Kingsoul or Void Heart, but WC burnt me out so hard that I just don't care to do it.

I was pretty happy when I finished White Palace (not to be confused with the fast food brand), but didn't find it as hard as people made it out to be, except for one or two particularly irritating places. It definitely helps to have the hive blood on you - I have no idea where you spawn if you die and I'll be damned if I was to find out.

But yeah, there were a surprising number of 'checkpoints' throughout, places where you appeared when getting hit by spikes or blades or whatever.

That said, it's annoying that they put this heavy platforming area in a game that hasn't had anything quite like that (certainly nowhere near that level of frustration) in it before. Should've been more fighty, less jumpy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So the Trust system in Final Fantasy XIV's Shadowbringers is a really good idea, and mostly does great! It gives you the option to do any dungeon in the expansion with a given team of NPC characters that are around at the time instead of other players. It's great if you're like me and play off-peak hours, use a role that there's a lot of people playing making dungeon queues long, or just hate people. But it's got a couple of problems that I've noticed that are bugging me.

1. The first dungeon's only option for a healer is fundamentally non-functional, making that first experience a really bad one for anyone who needs a healer (which is most of the community, healers are understaffed right now). He's set up as a Scholar, which is the pet-based healer, but he doesn't actually have the Scholar's fairy pet to help bolster his heals. Not only that, but he also doesn't have access to the Aetherflow system, which is how healers get access to their strongest heals and damage reduction. He's actually left healing the whole dungeon with only his basic single-target and AoE heal, so most of the difficulty of going through it with the Trust system (which is your introduction to the system, remember) is just hoping that his healing holds up against what's honestly a pretty daunting final boss to heal.

2. I'm just speculating, but I think the Trust system forced them influenced the actual story, and in at least one case probably not positively. Because they now need enough NPCs to do a dungeon around, at least, for when any dungeon actually happens, that means you're not as alone as you were in previous stories, and that'a good, but the fact they understaffed healers and tanks mean that some characters get way more screentime than they need. It's not too bad for the healer, because one of the most neglected characters in the whole game is a healer so it's just an opportunity to give him screentime, and there's also that awful Scholar I mentioned anyway. But there is only one tank for the vast majority of the story, so he has to be there basically the whole time, and his story in this expansion just can't sustain that much screentime. In fact, it gets worse when drawn out like it is. And he actively drives one of the most enjoyable characters away, too. Yet he's gotta stick around, because he's all you've got.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Morpheus posted:

I was pretty happy when I finished White Palace (not to be confused with the fast food brand), but didn't find it as hard as people made it out to be, except for one or two particularly irritating places. It definitely helps to have the hive blood on you - I have no idea where you spawn if you die and I'll be damned if I was to find out.

But yeah, there were a surprising number of 'checkpoints' throughout, places where you appeared when getting hit by spikes or blades or whatever.

That said, it's annoying that they put this heavy platforming area in a game that hasn't had anything quite like that (certainly nowhere near that level of frustration) in it before. Should've been more fighty, less jumpy.

I've tried every trick that everyone's told me about that section and I still can't beat it. I've managed to do a lot of the other challenges (finishing the Colosseum, the flower delivery run) and the difficulty on them was fine, but this challenge feels almost self-contained. There's nothing nearly as demanding before it, and I'm not absolutely sure what's between WP and the final boss, but I can't see there being anything more challenging after it.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

Inco posted:

I've tried every trick that everyone's told me about that section and I still can't beat it. I've managed to do a lot of the other challenges (finishing the Colosseum, the flower delivery run) and the difficulty on them was fine, but this challenge feels almost self-contained. There's nothing nearly as demanding before it, and I'm not absolutely sure what's between WP and the final boss, but I can't see there being anything more challenging after it.

I really enjoyed White Palace personally. Just some real old school brutal platforming. What helped me beat it was realising that there was no time pressure, you can take as long as you need to to get through each stage. Using the Dream Nail on the mothboys to full heal also helped

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

People say to equip the Hiveblood charm but waiting for that regen is horrifyingly slow compared to just equipping Grubsong and Deep Focus. It's the tiniest bit of risk if you somehow gently caress up like 100 times in a row without anything to refresh your soul to full on, but much quicker.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back

Dr Christmas posted:

The devs of Rogue Legacy ruined my 100% Steam achievements screen by adding some hard mode bosses that you fight as a predetermined character (So you can’t level up if it’s too hard), and later added another achievement to beat the game having only lost a pretty small number of lives.

They've added in a method of upgrading these extra boss characters now, not sure how they work since I spent so long doing them

That dying less than 15 times is pretty brutal, but doable. I believe in you, you can do it

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

bewilderment posted:

People say to equip the Hiveblood charm but waiting for that regen is horrifyingly slow compared to just equipping Grubsong and Deep Focus. It's the tiniest bit of risk if you somehow gently caress up like 100 times in a row without anything to refresh your soul to full on, but much quicker.

Throw in Grubberfly's Elegy and you end up with a net gain on Soul and can literally go forever.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

It's not exactly a small thing, but in Dragon Quest Builders 2, the entirety of Moonbrooke can gently caress right off. The game is called Dragon Quest BUILDERS, not Dragon Quest constantly loving fighting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

KingSlime posted:

For sure. Sotn was like my fifth igavania and the nostalgia glasses is real with that one for so many people! A dope game all around but the DS ones are way better, along with Aria on gba. I did like sotn better than Harmony and cotm, but Harmony is just poor man's sotn and cotm has a much better difficulty curve than sotn.

I too would have likely had my mind blown by it back in 1985 or whatever. I played it on my Vita in 2012 however and eh, it wasnt a bad time. I wanted to switch over the superior DS games during much of my playthru

I played SotN after the DS ones and thought it blew them out of the water :shrug:

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
The DS and GBA Castlevania games were the ones I started the Castlevania series with. I actually played through SoTN for the first time last October. I just thought it was better than all the ones that came after it.

e: actual content - Sekiro. I walk into the boss fight with Genichiro completely unaware there'll be a battle so I'm fully unprepared. I expect to die, but somehow I pull off some incredibly tight playing for my first attempt, and I clear his first health bar with a few healing gourd uses left. Every single boss up to this point has had two health bars, so for the remaining health bar, I pull out all the stops, go extra aggressive, and slam all my healing items so that I can, just barely, finish off his last health bar and pull out a win. I relax and I'm patting myself on the back, like wow I can't believe I really won that fight.

Then a cutscene plays, he has a new health bar and different attacks, and he starts shooting loving lightning at me! I even somehow managed to counter the lightning strike on the first go, but the fight ended up being too much and I died. Which was just such a bummer - pulling off the win in the first phase felt like I had finally figured out the game's mechanics and systems, and then the game was just like "no, you idiot." Killed my motivation for a while.

Casey Finnigan has a new favorite as of 21:02 on Jul 16, 2019

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Parrying/Defending that one desperate combo Genichiro throws at you which ends with both Sekiro and him backing away and striking a pose is probably the coolest poo poo in the game

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
It is an awesome fight, definitely better than the two previous "real" boss fights. Sekiro is at its best when you have high-speed fights full of parries and counters like with Genichiro. But yeah, the main problem is just that a desperate, stressful battle where you get within inches of failure, but ultimately succeed, feels great. A desperate, stressful battle where you get within inches of success, but ultimately fail, well, that really sucks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Kruller posted:

It's not exactly a small thing, but in Dragon Quest Builders 2, the entirety of Moonbrooke can gently caress right off. The game is called Dragon Quest BUILDERS, not Dragon Quest constantly loving fighting.

Its weird how the game is "Builders aren't fighters! Anyway, here is a wave of enemies to fight, and your buddy is currently 3 miles away chasing an ant."

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

It is an awesome fight, definitely better than the two previous "real" boss fights. Sekiro is at its best when you have high-speed fights full of parries and counters like with Genichiro. But yeah, the main problem is just that a desperate, stressful battle where you get within inches of failure, but ultimately succeed, feels great. A desperate, stressful battle where you get within inches of success, but ultimately fail, well, that really sucks.

I somehow beat his second form first time in the same situation through sheer frenzied desperation. It felt great and was a really cool moment but I think I'd have been similarly frustrated if I'd failed at that point

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 13:59 on Jul 17, 2019

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I beat his new form on the first try and it was insanely exhilirating

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I beat his new form on the first try and it was insanely exhilirating

It took me a solid week of playing to beat Genichiro. Finally nailing it was very satisfying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Casey Finnigan posted:

Oxxidation posted:

tfw your opponent's Posture meter is near full and flashing red and you've got a sliver of life and no heals left and a wicked little devil in your brain is going "choke, choke, choke, choke, choke, CHOKE, CHOKE, CHOKE"

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Stellaris has an event where the galactic market is formed and you can nominate one of your planets to host it. Thing is it costs influence to nominate it, and its very possible that you would have spent your influence on things like expanding territory or edicts that you wont have the 150 influence on hand to do it. And then by the time you get that influence, it could have already been decided.

E: Also how its decided who wins is complete rng. I've had games where as the borg I won with a planet of weak standing for the market, but have just lost as a megacorporation with a planet of strong standing... to a planet that was being colonized.

Also there are precursor events that you can research about an existing civilization and sometimes you can get all 6 artifacts to finish it off early, sometimes you're going mid game because you never got the anomolies for them to show up.

Leal has a new favorite as of 15:08 on Jul 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I noticed that Moonlighter has an achievement for beating the game with less than 40 deaths so from now on I will consider each death to be a stress inducing failure rather than a minor setback.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 15:16 on Jul 17, 2019