Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
I'm thinking about knitting a skirt for myself. I am considering something like one of these three:
http://www.interweavestore.com/Knitting/Patterns/Diminishing-Gore-Skirt.html?SessionThemeID=7
http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Althea_Skirt___D10459220.html
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter07/PATTbellcurve.html
Any suggestions? All I really want is something I've made with my own hands (and I really like knitting) and something that has a nice flare at the bottom. I like the third one best, but it doesn't flare quite as much as I would like.
Also, this is going to be the first time I will make something big. The biggest thing I've made to date is leg warmers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
I've always liked Miryam.The lacy hem would make it nice and flicky, and it's done with fingering weight so it'll be warm but not heavy.

Speaking of skirts by Sanguine Gryphon I tell myself one day I'll make Scavenger but this would probably end with a self-inflicted needle to the temple out of frustration.

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj
That is nice, but I've never knitted lace, so that worries me. I suppose I'll have to watch some youtube videos now!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I just bought yarn today for this: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/crossing-over

I remember seeing it in the magazine when it came out and not really liking it, but the sample in the shop had a more tone on tone color scheme and it looked really nice. Also bonus, it's reversible although it looks different on the inside.

Of course I've never knit brioche before so the first project I do it in should definitely have cables too, I always have such good ideas.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Haji posted:

That is nice, but I've never knitted lace, so that worries me. I suppose I'll have to watch some youtube videos now!

Lace is a bunch of yarn overs, and a lot of paying attention. You can do it!

Just found this thread, so I'm super-excited to show off the stuff I've done. Unfortunately the last time I tried to take pictures, I could only find two of the six finished items I have, so here are those for now:

2011-10-15 16.04.48.jpg by pucklynn, on Flickr

This one is a Jaeger Merino lace scarf I knit to replace the one I gave to my friend before I left for basic training. It was really easy to knit, actually, though I screwed up grafting the other end of the scarf on, so there's a row of stockinette stitch that should be garter stitch.

2011-10-15 16.04.15.jpg by pucklynn, on Flickr

And this one started out as several different scarves-- I probably tried three or four patterns before I found one I actually liked. The colors pooled really oddly on all the others. I made a hat to go with it, but it seems to have wandered off so I'll post that one another day.

I just finished one Nine to Five sock, and am working on the second right now. I didn't have any shoes that showed off my handknit socks, so I went out to Payless (<3) and bought these gorgeous babies, and now I'm dying to have a finished pair to prance around in. :D

Fake edit: Yes, that is a sidewalk you see in the background of my pictures. Finding decent lighting in this house is ridiculous.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
Finished a thing for the upcoming baby
(This is easier than reloading pictures to show up here, but if you can't see it, let me know and I'll load them here)

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

Amykinz posted:

(This is easier than reloading pictures to show up here, but if you can't see it, let me know and I'll load them here)

That's really cute!

What is the bar-none easiest baby sweater pattern out there? I've only been knitting for a few weeks, but the only way to learn is to try it, right? My daughter is 18 months but wears 12 month size clothes, so something that has different sizes is probably a good idea. Though my niece can wear 0-3 so I could always make it for her...

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Top-down raglan sweaters are pretty easy, plus there's no seaming involved. Tons of free patterns along these lines, but I loved this one because I have tons of leftover sock yarn from making socks, so it's great for using those bits up.

The Baby Surprise Jacket is an old standby for lots of people though I can't speak from experience.

Amykinz
May 6, 2007
The one I posted was really easy, but "easy" depends on if you think picking up stitches is hard, or sewing seams is hard, or whatever. There are several baby sweaters with practically no seaming, or a yolk-style cardigan like I did, where you just have to sew the sleeves, I'd suggest something like that. Elizabeth Zimmerman's February Baby Sweater is a good one that has some lace to it. The Ribbed Baby Jacket is super cute, but you have to sew seams and pick up stitches for the collar.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
So, stitch markers!

I whip up my own fancy stitch markers for personal use because I don't really like the lovely plastic rings and the fancy ones at the yarn store are way too expensive, but it occurred recently that it might be a useful get-rich-slow scheme.

Here are a couple examples of the ones I've done that I use and/or like. The marker on the left is some typical semi-precious stuff, I think sodalite and opalite. And the coloured metal on both of them is anodized aluminum, which I have on hand in all the colours of the rainbow (and black, and brown).

They're hanging on rubber rings, and fit comfortably on needles up to and including a US 10.5. The fact that they're rubber too means that if something terrible happens for whatever reason and you need to get them off in a hurry, a quick snip is all it needs.

So, a) do you think people would buy them if I whipped up some extra batches and put them on Etsy, b) do you think anyone would be interested if I did that and tossed some up on SA-Mart, c) if yes, how many do you think makes a good set of stitch markers? I see them sold in threes, but that never seems like enough to me, I feel like five is a better number, and d) how much do you think is a fair price for them? I feel like ten or twelve bucks for a set of five, before shipping, is relatively reasonable.

I really don't know either how saturated the market is, how much the demand is, or if these things are appealing to people who aren't me, so... hey what do you all think?

neongrey fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Oct 19, 2011

RubySprinkles
Jul 8, 2008

neongrey posted:

So, stitch markers!

I whip up my own fancy stitch markers for personal use because I don't really like the lovely plastic rings and the fancy ones at the yarn store are way too expensive, but it occurred recently that it might be a useful get-rich-slow scheme.

Here are a couple examples of the ones I've done that I use and/or like. The marker on the left is some typical semi-precious stuff, I think sodalite and opalite. And the coloured metal on both of them is anodized aluminum, which I have on hand in all the colours of the rainbow (and black, and brown).

They're hanging on rubber rings, and fit comfortably on needles up to and including a US 10.5. The fact that they're rubber too means that if something terrible happens for whatever reason and you need to get them off in a hurry, a quick snip is all it needs.

So, a) do you think people would buy them if I whipped up some extra batches and put them on Etsy, b) do you think anyone would be interested if I did that and tossed some up on SA-Mart, c) if yes, how many do you think makes a good set of stitch markers? I see them sold in threes, but that never seems like enough to me, I feel like five is a better number, and d) how much do you think is a fair price for them? I feel like ten or twelve bucks for a set of five, before shipping, is relatively reasonable.

I really don't know either how saturated the market is, how much the demand is, or if these things are appealing to people who aren't me, so... hey what do you all think?

I tried selling handmade stitch markers on Etsy with no luck. It seems like there are a good amount for sale on Etsy. Your example on the right might sell better though, as it seems different than what I've seen up for sale. Etsy listings are cheap though, so I'd say try it. If you have no luck, you're out just a few dollars.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Amykinz posted:

Those buttons are adorable!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

RubySprinkles posted:

I tried selling handmade stitch markers on Etsy with no luck. It seems like there are a good amount for sale on Etsy. Your example on the right might sell better though, as it seems different than what I've seen up for sale. Etsy listings are cheap though, so I'd say try it. If you have no luck, you're out just a few dollars.

Hmm, fair enough. I'll maybe do up a few more in my spare time and stick up a listing or two, but probably just keep doing them for personal use.

Thanks!

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Buying yarn turned into a pain in the rear end. Went to Michael's since Caron 1 pound was on sale for $7, so I ended up buying a bunch and an interchangeable circular needle set. The woman at the checkout wouldn't believe that it was all for me. I then had to hit up Hobby Lobby and Jo-Ann's since the local yarn store closes at 6 and is like 30 minutes away. Do you think anyone had bright orange yarn? Bastards are making it hard for me to knit a rainbow scarf.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
I have a bunch of orange yarn, but it's terrible 70s acrylic.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Mizufusion posted:

I have a bunch of orange yarn, but it's terrible 70s acrylic.

I eventually found some. It may be Super Saver but it will do.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

I got this stuff from Joann's a few weeks ago, they have a bunch of neon-type colors.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Roflex posted:

I got this stuff from Joann's a few weeks ago, they have a bunch of neon-type colors.

It's way too early but I just got a ball of that in candycane colour. Guess whose secret santees are all getting dischloths this year!

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Hello knitting thread! I personally am incapable of knitting, but I found something you guys might be interested in:
Penguins caught in an oil spill need sweaters to keep them warm :3:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
So I knit myself a Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation for a contest thread in TVIV:

(With bonus tiny eggs from Teeny Tiny Mini Mochi and some improvised tiny bacon)

Also working on a fair isle sweater for my dog, who in no way deserves such a thing because literally the only things he ever does are sleeping and farting:

The reason he looks insane in the picture is the only way you can get him to look at the camera is say "TREAT?!" while taking the picture.

Scooty Puff Jr.
Oct 2, 2004
Who's ready for safe fun?

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

So I knit myself a Ron Swanson from Parks and Recreation for a contest thread in TVIV:

(With bonus tiny eggs from Teeny Tiny Mini Mochi and some improvised tiny bacon)

Also working on a fair isle sweater for my dog, who in no way deserves such a thing because literally the only things he ever does are sleeping and farting:

The reason he looks insane in the picture is the only way you can get him to look at the camera is say "TREAT?!" while taking the picture.

Oh. My. God. I must knit myself a Ron Swanson! And I must knit him all the bacon and eggs I have.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
What weight yarn doubled would equal chunky/bulky? Knitpicks is out of bare and light brown in the wool of the Andes bulky until after Christmas, so hoping I can double up something instead of looking elsewhere, cuz I really want to add a few balls of the rainbow sock yarn to the order as a present for myself heh.

Drei
Feb 23, 2006

she's incredible math
Generally the formula for the gauge a yarn held doubled is single gauge x .7. So going in reverse, the WotA Bulky gauge of 14/.7 = 20, so a light worsted yarn should do the trick. :)

Drei fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 26, 2011

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Ordered in some yarn for Christmas presents today. A couple of the Recycled Resolution from http://www.darngoodyarn.com/ Should make some nice skinny scarves, I can't wait to get them.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
I have a coworker who went to a garage sale and bought a whole bag of scratchy death-in-a-skein Red Heart yarn in some rather egregious colors (bright orange, dark green, steel grey, and a few others). Is there anything at all I can use this for? I started trying to teach my friends using them, but gave up halfway through and broke out some real wool.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Pucklynn posted:

I have a coworker who went to a garage sale and bought a whole bag of scratchy death-in-a-skein Red Heart yarn in some rather egregious colors (bright orange, dark green, steel grey, and a few others). Is there anything at all I can use this for? I started trying to teach my friends using them, but gave up halfway through and broke out some real wool.

You wouldn't be planning to go through any labyrinths, would you?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop
Unfortunately they just tore the last one in this area down, so that's right out. :( Does this kind of yarn make for decent toys, at least?

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Pucklynn posted:

Unfortunately they just tore the last one in this area down, so that's right out. :( Does this kind of yarn make for decent toys, at least?

I was going to suggest toys if you can stand to knit with it at a nice tight gauge. It's perfect for that because crazy colors, washable, etc. And you're not going to be wearing them.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Made a thing. I think I love madeline tosh now...

Haji
Nov 15, 2005

Haj Paj

Fooley posted:

That's really nice! I love it.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Fooley posted:

Ooh, very pretty! What pattern is that?

I made a hate out of Madelinetosh a while ago and it gets so many compliments from total strangers. Not even fellow yarn store shopper strangers either. That poo poo glows, I swear.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Because it's so saturated with dye that it also bleeds it everywhere :( How do you make it stop?

Also, philosophical question time: why am I willing to spend so much on yarn for a sweater when I wouldn't spend a quarter of that amount to buy a sweater?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

Put a bit of vinegar or lemon juice in the water with it. That will help it stop bleeding a little.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Anne Whateley posted:

Because it's so saturated with dye that it also bleeds it everywhere :( How do you make it stop?

oh noes! I hope it's not too bad... I'm in the middle of knitting Catkin (which uses Madelinetosh light) in a very dark, woodsy green and a light creamy color. I don't want to spend that much time on something and then the green bleeds into everything. :(

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I would take a break and experiment with washing some green-and-cream swatches. :(

I've been knitting a cowl in a deep-blue tosh sock, and my bamboo needles are totally blue. My hands also get kinda blueish (and they're not sweaty or anything). That's not a huge deal to me; I just want to prevent my neck or coat from turning blue, so I'll experiment when I'm done.

The colors are stunning, but more than the yarn can really absorb, I think. Saturated indeed!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Come to think of it I guess a little color did come out in the blocking water but not a ton. It definitely didn't dye my hands or needles. Weird!

Mine was tosh sock, maybe that makes a difference?

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

Anne Whateley posted:

I would take a break and experiment with washing some green-and-cream swatches. :(

Well that's one good thing about having actually swatches for this project, eh? But god, I hope it's ok. I'm halfway through and it's a big-rear end shawl. :(

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, I haven't knitted with any tosh myself but my friend who has says that her hands came away all dyed too, just from knitting. Not sure which weight she was using though.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
I almost died laughing at this I think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4_XNKOuODU&feature=player_embedded

It's a guy teaching you how to "knit".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

I'm knitting a shawl with Tosh Merino Light and I haven't noticed any dye on my hands or needles, although when I blocked some gloves that were also made with it there was dye in the water. So maybe it does just depend on the yarn?