Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I don't like this talent agent woman. She seems bad to me, and is trying to ruin everyone's lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

I don't like this talent agent woman. She seems bad to me, and is trying to ruin everyone's lives.

So a talent agent for Japanese idols then.

Also this game has the best villain of any game in Watase

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Zaggitz posted:

It's ya boy.

Yes! Can't wait.

I am enjoying Yakuza 5: Dancing All Night interlude though.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Basically my one desire for Haruka's chapter (or the finale) is for her to be dancing and singing and carrying on and in the background the guys are just brutalizing some weirdo stalkers or something, ideally switching control between the two.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Ideally, Haruka should be powerbombing and baseball batting her stalkers herself.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Zettace posted:

Ideally, Haruka should be powerbombing and baseball batting her stalkers herself.

https://youtu.be/RV9RrdIUpTI

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

projecthalaxy posted:

Basically my one desire for Haruka's chapter (or the finale) is for her to be dancing and singing and carrying on and in the background the guys are just brutalizing some weirdo stalkers or something, ideally switching control between the two.

This is all I want for the ending too, just let them all settle down and become Haruka's security team who beat stalkers up with bikes and powerbombs.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is all I want for the ending too, just let them all settle down and become Haruka's security team who beat stalkers up with bikes and powerbombs.

Just so long as Saejima can take a break to go balls out when Haruka does a special cover of "Rouge of Love."

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I have a new favorite NPC. I was walking around looking for dancers to battle and found an Easily Impressed Woman. What did she have to add? "Wow! It's a river!!" Thanks, Easily Impressed Woman. You keep doing you.

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011
I don't know. It's a pretty river. I'd probably take a picture of it if I were there.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

I felt that way at first about her, but by the end she was one of my favorite characters.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Samurai Sanders posted:

I felt that way at first about her, but by the end she was one of my favorite characters.

Yeah the places they go with Ms Park make her a pretty rad character. They frontload you with how ruthless she can be but the payoff is worth it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

I want to be able to play as a Joshi wrestler in the next game

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

projecthalaxy posted:

I have a new favorite NPC. I was walking around looking for dancers to battle and found an Easily Impressed Woman. What did she have to add? "Wow! It's a river!!" Thanks, Easily Impressed Woman. You keep doing you.

There's a guy in Soutenburi talking about finally asking a girl out, and his friend responds with "Um..."

And that friend's name was "Guy Who Doesn't Know How To Put This".

It made me literally lol.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Well poo poo, I just lost a bunch of progress in 1-4 because I ended up throwing the fire extinguisher into the fire I needed to put out to proceed to find Yahata and I hadn't saved since finding the second group of tracksuits :suicide:

croutonZA
Jan 5, 2011

Karthe posted:

Well poo poo, I just lost a bunch of progress in 1-4 because I ended up throwing the fire extinguisher into the fire I needed to put out to proceed to find Yahata and I hadn't saved since finding the second group of tracksuits :suicide:

It's of little use now but there's another fire extinguisher in that room on a shelf somewhere.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

I am really liking Haruka's gameplay. Everything has its own little system, and the interviews are interesting, having to tailor your message to the media you are talking to. I'm going to try to do as many free missions as possible before going to Round 1.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
What's the best way to fully resolve "A Knock on the Door"? I paid the money and I still got just "Done".

Shrinkage
Oct 23, 2010

projecthalaxy posted:

I am really liking Haruka's gameplay. Everything has its own little system, and the interviews are interesting, having to tailor your message to the media you are talking to. I'm going to try to do as many free missions as possible before going to Round 1.

I like how after beating down about one thousand men from chapter 1 and 2 we get a break from fighting for one chapter and then its back to more beatdowns.

Good pacing.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Capsaicin posted:

What's the best way to fully resolve "A Knock on the Door"? I paid the money and I still got just "Done".

I told the guy to gently caress off with this stupid newspaper poo poo then beat him up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Gutcruncher posted:

I told the guy to gently caress off with this stupid newspaper poo poo then beat him up.

Does that make it count as "Resolved"?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

precision posted:

Does that make it count as "Resolved"?

that's what did it for me

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Yep, resolved
"That newspaper salesman was about as obnoxious as they come, but I think he'll change his tune now."

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

This game is so loving dense with content, and I haven't even touched the minigames yet. 55 hours just to get to part 4.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Gutcruncher posted:

Yep, resolved
"That newspaper salesman was about as obnoxious as they come, but I think he'll change his tune now."

I got "Done" for that one, but I got some laundry detergent out of it, so what the heck.

Unless you get that for "Resolved" too, but oh well.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!

Nick Biped posted:

I got "Done" for that one, but I got some laundry detergent out of it, so what the heck.

Unless you get that for "Resolved" too, but oh well.

I got a platinum crafting material for kicking his rear end.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Doug Dinsdale posted:

How is the translation quality overall?
I thought that the manzai thing would be a total bitch.

It's pretty easy to choose the right thing, but with the timing aspect it's really hard because you just basically have to be able to speak Japanese or understand the sentence structure and manzai to time it well. The requirements for success are just too high for what it should be. They should have made the pass mark more lenient, basically.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Here's a good guide for the manzai stuff.

That whole site is a great resource for Yak 5 tips.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

I'm seconding the comments about Haruka's gameplay. It's really neat, and a wonderful intermission between all the brutal fighting. The music is also incredibly catchy.

Zaggitz posted:

Here's a good guide for the manzai stuff.

That whole site is a great resource for Yak 5 tips.

That guide is going to be incredibly helpful. I keep failing that minigame by about 5 - 10 points and it's driving me nuts.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I wish there was more than three songs for the concert stuff, the dance songs compensate, I guess.

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's pretty easy to choose the right thing, but with the timing aspect it's really hard because you just basically have to be able to speak Japanese or understand the sentence structure and manzai to time it well. The requirements for success are just too high for what it should be. They should have made the pass mark more lenient, basically.

I didn't have a big problem with it besides sometimes not selecting the right option, and all I really did was wait till he just finished his sentence. Passed me comfortably on all the rounds.

Started on Shinada's chapter now, and in a game full of badass dudes doing badass things, he's coming across as a bit of an odd one out. Even Haruka has more back bone than he does.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Man I knew Japan had a suicide problem, but this game really brings it home when you have people RACING out into the street just to get run over by Kiryu's taxicab.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

EndOfTheWorld posted:

Man I knew Japan had a suicide problem, but this game really brings it home when you have people RACING out into the street just to get run over by Kiryu's taxicab.

To be fair dying to Kiryu, even in taxi cab driver mode, is like an instant gold star for the whole 'dying with honor' thing.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I mean I heard this is a US localization and I apologize if this was mentioned but.......

Nakajima says "you lot", someone else said, "Have a go at me", among other things that I felt would be more in tune with UK English. Not really a complaint, just an observation.

I love how I lost 13 hrs playing this game yesterday.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Funkysauce posted:

I mean I heard this is a US localization and I apologize if this was mentioned but.......

Nakajima says "you lot", someone else said, "Have a go at me", among other things that I felt would be more in tune with UK English. Not really a complaint, just an observation.

I love how I lost 13 hrs playing this game yesterday.

A lot of that could be due to translating dialects, and the way Japanese deals with tone and formality. So, like the Kansai dialect is written out in very casual, almost Southern twang. Likewise, a more upper-class dialect might be translated into a more British vernacular, to get across that Nakajima speaks in a very friendly yet refined tone of voice.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

One thing I've noticed is they use the word "rustic" a lot, as an insult. I've been mentally replacing it with "hick" or "hillbilly" as that seems to be what they mean, but it's interesting. I've never heard rustic with a negative connotation.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It just will never stop being funny to me that Japanese companies keep telling translators to make people from Osaka sound like rednecks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

precision posted:

It just will never stop being funny to me that Japanese companies keep telling translators to make people from Osaka sound like rednecks.

I've been watching anime for years and still can't really tell when someone's speaking with a Kansai accent without being told they're doing so, so I'm probably part of the target demographic that needs something like this.

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

precision posted:

That sucks because both my Japanese teachers were from Osaka. We even tried learning some 関西弁 (kansaiben) ; it's not so bad though frankly I can't really tell the accents. I have a friend from Fukuoka and when I said, "新な靴ばい(instead of desu)!" she was blown away but she said I didn't have the right accent. I guess I'm just not hearing the difference in accents.

The localization of these games have been outstanding for the most part I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
If you can't hear the accents in this game then you just have no ear for them at all. Everyone has a pretty over-the-top accent for whatever region they are from.

projecthalaxy posted:

One thing I've noticed is they use the word "rustic" a lot, as an insult. I've been mentally replacing it with "hick" or "hillbilly" as that seems to be what they mean, but it's interesting. I've never heard rustic with a negative connotation.
Yes, that's one of its meanings.

• Locked thread