Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Just tried it now. The nation is a beast with infantry and paths available, but atrocious with research and priests. Very well looked into.

Also holy hell Dominions 3 UI is terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012
What are people's thoughts on using revenants (9 d gems, 1D, ench 3) as a research summon when you're running M3 scales (7 + 3 = 10 rp for each one)?

Obviously the gem:rp efficiency is less than skulls, but having a bunch of 1D mages might have some emergency uses. I've been looking at these guys since early on I usually can't find things to throw D gems at besides ud elephants (situational, but good) and banes (usually capped by your item forging, and otherwise they're pretty gem efficient).

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Which D nation did you take M3 on.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
lemuria :twisted:

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

TheresNoThyme posted:

What are people's thoughts on using revenants (9 d gems, 1D, ench 3) as a research summon when you're running M3 scales (7 + 3 = 10 rp for each one)?

Obviously the gem:rp efficiency is less than skulls, but having a bunch of 1D mages might have some emergency uses. I've been looking at these guys since early on I usually can't find things to throw D gems at besides ud elephants (situational, but good) and banes (usually capped by your item forging, and otherwise they're pretty gem efficient).

You need to throw those gems in combat with Darkness. 10 more RP is nothing, it is a drop in the bucket. It is like 125 gold for a lot of nations.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me
If, theoretically, I wanted to put the Axes of Rulership and the Harvest Blade onto an SC so I could turn everyone into torsos, who would be the best chassis? (accounting for Copper Arms etc)

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Decrepus posted:

Which D nation did you take M3 on.

Sceleria since it's a big increase for their recruit-everywhere mage. I'm aware of the potential banishment issues.

MrBims posted:

You need to throw those gems in combat with Darkness. 10 more RP is nothing, it is a drop in the bucket. It is like 125 gold for a lot of nations.

I was thinking of it as more of an early game thing. I would stop doing it as soon as I got access to more reliable or efficient ways to spend the gems, but I do think I'd rather have the research than be floating 50 D gems during year 2 like I usually am.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

TheresNoThyme posted:

Sceleria since it's a big increase for their recruit-everywhere mage. I'm aware of the potential banishment issues.

I was thinking of it as more of an early game thing. I would stop doing it as soon as I got access to more reliable or efficient ways to spend the gems, but I do think I'd rather have the research than be floating 50 D gems during year 2 like I usually am.

It's a legit use IMO. Revenants are a very easily accessible research booster with magic scales. They can also lead skellingtons and stuff later if needed.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's a legit use IMO. Revenants are a very easily accessible research booster with magic scales. They can also lead skellingtons and stuff later if needed.

For Sceleria Revenants are also by far their most cost-effective research option because their mages are also priests and cost fucktonnes of death gems to summon.

TheresNoThyme
Nov 23, 2012

Neruz posted:

For Sceleria Revenants are also by far their most cost-effective research option because their mages are also priests and cost fucktonnes of death gems to summon.

Think you have the wrong sceleria - this is the dom4 nation who are MA and have plenty of human mages just using the undead to like clean their houses and stuff. That said, their thaumaturgs are their only non-cap mage option and they have a wooping 9RP so M3 is a nice 33% boost for them.

TheresNoThyme fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 17, 2014

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
As long as I've been asking about magic items, do Growth/Death scales affect the strength of a Vine Shield's entangling effect, and if so, by how much?

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

TheresNoThyme posted:

Think you have the wrong sceleria - this is the dom4 nation who are MA and have plenty of human mages just using the undead to like clean their houses and stuff. That said, their thaumaturgs are their only non-cap mage option and they have a wooping 9RP so M3 is a nice 33% boost for them.

Yes I mean Lemuria not Sceleria :V Typoed the name there.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Is there any way to get this to work in Dominions 4? The Malazan series is easily my favorite fantasy series and I'd love to mess around with this. I've tried before with a Dominions 3 file, but that just makes my game crash. :downs:

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Is there any way to get this to work in Dominions 4?
Yeah it's going to be a matter of changing a couple of things, especially monster numbers, but it's not a huge deal.

I'll give a go if nobody else is up for it.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's going to be a candidate for StR and terrain-specific recruits.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Since I know absolutely gently caress all about Malazan, all I'm doing with it is making the best mages and priests #slowrec, making it MC-compatible, and making sure the commands don't crash the game. I'm not changing gold costs or resource costs, or anything like that. The mechanic where buying commanders gives you some troops has been left in. At a glance, the mages look pretty disgustingly overpowered, especially considering it's an MA nation, but I'm leaving things as is.

The one change I have made is deleting a single mage that was listed as "edited out" and had a #copyspr to a dominions 3 monster number in any case.

If Deathjester wants to have another crack at it, or if there's some kind of "shocking" oversight that Oh Actually Marines Or Something Should Be #forestrec, I'm going to leave that to other people (should be done by tomorrow evening).

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 17, 2014

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

jBrereton posted:

Since I know absolutely gently caress all about Malazan, all I'm doing with it is making the best mages and priests #slowrec, making it MC-compatible, and making sure the commands don't crash the game. I'm not changing gold costs or resource costs, or anything like that. The mechanic where buying commanders gives you some troops has been left in. At a glance, the mages look pretty disgustingly overpowered, especially considering it's an MA nation, but I'm leaving things as is.

The one change I have made is deleting a single mage that was listed as "edited out" and had a #copyspr to a dominions 3 monster number in any case.

If Deathjester wants to have another crack at it, or if there's some kind of "shocking" oversight that Oh Actually Marines Or Something Should Be #forestrec, I'm going to leave that to other people (should be done by tomorrow evening).

Oh my you marvelous person,

jBrereton posted:

Oh my you marvelous person, thank you. I keep telling myself that I can churn through the Dom 3 UI but nope! Way too clunky.

Will you be making the sappers/marines holy troops? I notice the Malazans have no holy.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Malazans shouldn't have any holy units. :colbert:

jBrereton posted:

I didn't expect a response like this, but I really appreciate it. I hope it's not too much trouble.

The Gentleman
Jun 21, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Malazans shouldn't have any holy units. :colbert:

I didn't expect a response like this, but I really appreciate it. I hope it's not too much trouble.

Their Sappers should be sacred, honestly. Perfect representation of Malazan Insanity.

jBrerton posted:

I'm not sure about giving them different variants of high mages. It might just be better to condense them into one, perhaps two with ?-paths

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's always a tough choice between letting people recruit exactly what they want, but forcing them to choose, and letting people just recruit the same mage every turn without wondering if they screwed up. The EA Agartha way or the MA Sceleria way.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Jabarto posted:

As long as I've been asking about magic items, do Growth/Death scales affect the strength of a Vine Shield's entangling effect, and if so, by how much?

It affects how difficult the effect is to break out of, and I don't know by how much. vine shield mechanics

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

The Gentleman posted:

Their Sappers should be sacred, honestly. Perfect representation of Malazan Insanity.

I'd agree with this. It wouldnt change too much, since they are so flippingly high res anyway. I suppose a bless strategy could be interesting but I don't think it would matter too much, besides a strength bless to increase their grenade range.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

It's always a tough choice between letting people recruit exactly what they want, but forcing them to choose, and letting people just recruit the same mage every turn without wondering if they screwed up. The EA Agartha way or the MA Sceleria way.
Plus different paths make the most of different research trees, and maybe more importantly than that, there's been some nice spritework done on this faction which I don't want to just jettison into the dustbin of history.

Anyway, this is all done.

Changelog and facts for fellow modders etc.:

MC-compatible (according to the spreadsheet, from 25/02/2014)
Nation 137
Monsters 3640->3686
Weapons 1280-1294
Nametypes 166 and 173

Changes from Dominions 3 version are:

- Made Malazan its own nation, rather than being dependent upon EA Ermor.
- Removed dependencies on Dom 3 CBM weapons.
- Took out entries that were not actually used in the 0.84 version of the mod.
- Updated fort mechanics. Nation has standard MA Fortress/Castle choice.
- Slightly different non-national Pretender selection due to #homerealm system
- High Mages made Slow to Recruit.
- Removed Hamstring from Cattle Dogs (as Dog units in general do not possess this ability in vanilla Dom 4)
- Updated the Standard mechanics on:

Emperor (replaced Standard 30 with Inspirational +1)
High Fist (removed Standard 15)
Marine Sergeant commander (removed Standard 4)
Infantry Sergeant (replaced Standard 4 with Standard (1))
Coltaine (replaced Standard 30 with Inspirational +1)

- Updated Healing mechanics on:

Cadre Healer (healer 30 replaced with Autohealer (1))
High Mage of Denul (healer 100 replaced with Autohealer (2))
Quick Ben (healer 25 replaced with Autohealer (1))

- Updated research bonus/penalty upgrades on:

Claw Assassin (doubled research penalty to account for new research calculation)
Tayschrenn (doubled research bonus to account for new research calculation)

Link

e: oh and Donkringel, the nation had pretty good research even in Dominions 3 - research capability of 3 or 4 before scales was pretty much the baseline for a cheap researcher, not 7 or 9 like it is today.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 17, 2014

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo, thank you. I've already started messing around with the mod and this caught my eye:

It has a throwing range of 5. :getin:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Safety Factor posted:

Holy poo poo, thank you. I've already started messing around with the mod and this caught my eye:

If I read that right, though, given it's area of effect and Precision modifier, it's possible to accidentally drop it at your own feet. This is a good thing.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Is that designed as a suicide unit?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Ynglaur posted:

If I read that right, though, given it's area of effect and Precision modifier, it's possible to accidentally drop it at your own feet. This is a good thing.

I think it deviating away from you would be the only likely chance of survival.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Ynglaur posted:

I'm actually not sure of how precision works exactly, but what the weapon info means is that it reduces the unit's "base" Precision by 5 when calculating how it hits, not that the weapon's precision is set to -5. I'm not even sure if that's a thing that's possible.

That weapon can totally hit your own guys, though, yeah.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If I recall correctly, you need to roll at or under your Precision to hit your target. I don't remember the dispersion formula.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

In the books, sapper accidental suicides are a usual thing. Either through idiocy or heroic self sacrifice.

I forgot that research rates were upped for characters in Dom 4!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Donkringel posted:

In the books, sapper accidental suicides are a usual thing. Either through idiocy or heroic self sacrifice.

Yeah, a cusser isn't usually used as a throwing weapon except for in dire circumstances. They're typically used in traps or sieges. Naturally, the mod puts them on a regular dude and let's him have at it.

I know Fiddler is included in the mod somewhere. I wonder if he has his cusser crossbow...

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Shouldn't it be sharpers or burners then?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Safety Factor posted:

Yeah, a cusser isn't usually used as a throwing weapon except for in dire circumstances. They're typically used in traps or sieges. Naturally, the mod puts them on a regular dude and let's him have at it.

I know Fiddler is included in the mod somewhere. I wonder if he has his cusser crossbow...
Yeah he has a "cusser launcher".

There are also Sharper and Burner guys. Sharpers are your recruitables, Burners are another summon.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Some of the Bonehunters had cusser launching crossbows.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Hey Jon Joe, I just noticed that your mod makes enlargement spells target enemies and shrinking spells target allies. I'm completely baffled by this change, can you explain your reasoning?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Huge = easier to hit
small = harder to hit

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

Hey Jon Joe, I just noticed that your mod makes enlargement spells target enemies and shrinking spells target allies. I'm completely baffled by this change, can you explain your reasoning?

Being big means less attacks per square. Being small means more attacks per square.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

Jon Joe posted:

Being big means less attacks per square. Being small means more attacks per square.

I guess, but don't they lose a lot of hit points and become really vulnerable to trampling/area spells? Seems like a lateral move at best.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

They lose hp, strength and morale and only gain dudes per square and some defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Jabarto posted:

I guess, but don't they lose a lot of hit points and become really vulnerable to trampling/area spells? Seems like a lateral move at best.

Yeah, I'd say it's lateral, though more attacks per square is typically the more useful buff. I was thinking of copying the spells to re-add the original versions.

• Locked thread