Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
i figured they should be direct playing fine, from my Windows 10 computer running Plex Server (serving media from an old Windows 7 computer) to the Shield, connected to a Denon DD/DTS 7.1 receiver. the rips are just old internal releases from HDBits (HDC/CtrlHD). next time it happens i'll check to see if it's transcoding or not, but it shouldn't. i'm just replacing them with newer rips as i come across them, but was just curious more than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
HDBits has always vigorously policed the quality of their uploads, so I dunno. That's a weird one.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Shield like requesting transcodes. Check your playback quality settings in the Plex app on the Shield.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Speaking of the Shield:

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1030320148970795008

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009

teagone posted:

Shield like requesting transcodes. Check your playback quality settings in the Plex app on the Shield.

it said it was direct playing for both A&V. not a big deal but it's annoying when i sit down to watch something and it doesn't work.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

teagone posted:

Nope, something is hosed with your Plex set up. Is your server transcoding? Are you accessing your content remotely? Or local network?

I figured out what was hosed with my Plex app... apparently putting the Library config dir in the container on to an nfs mount wasn't giving it the love it needed. I moved the Plex config / library directory to a virtio-backed disk and it is working fine now. Lesson learned.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Hed posted:

I figured out what was hosed with my Plex app... apparently putting the Library config dir in the container on to an nfs mount wasn't giving it the love it needed. I moved the Plex config / library directory to a virtio-backed disk and it is working fine now. Lesson learned.

I have no idea what any of that means, but glad you sorted out your playback issues :)

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

teagone posted:

I have no idea what any of that means, but glad you sorted out your playback issues :)

It couldn't find the device-specific playback settings (which are stored in xml files on the server on a per client basis and used to determine when and how to transcode, etc.) so PMS likely defaulted to lowest-common denominator settings for streaming to clients. At least that is how I read it.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Anyone know why the TV grid view is no longer there in my Shield Plex app? At some point it reverted back to the crap old version

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
OP is four years old. Is there any recommeneded server to use? Or would any of the mid to high end NUCs with Ubuntu work?

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Bonzo posted:

OP is four years old. Is there any recommeneded server to use? Or would any of the mid to high end NUCs with Ubuntu work?

Yes, they would. If you have an intel GPU that is supported by linux vaapi (anything that's quick sync, basically), CPU usage is minimal if you turn on hardware acceleration.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

There's a Xeon based Lenovo TS140 or Dell T30 that goes on sale for <$300 every few weeks that seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance.
Comes with 4 HDD bays and no OS.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Aug 22, 2018

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Bonzo posted:

I regularly update the OP. The budget ones I've recommended there are still fine.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Bonzo posted:

You could run Plex server on a core i5 2nd or 3rd gen computer with win10 that you buy off eBay for $130 (buy it now price). If you look really hard, you might find a core i7 for $130-$150.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

If your clients don’t need to transcode much, you can run Plex on pretty much anything. My old rear end c2d had no problem running Plex client and server to other machines in the house.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yup, after moving into my new place in the city that has 100Mbps up/down internet, I turned my HTPC into another server. It's an embedded Celeron J1900 and is able to serve content back to my house and parents in the burbs via Direct Play/Stream no problem.

derk
Sep 24, 2004

FCKGW posted:

There's a Xeon based Lenovo TS140 or Dell T30 that goes on sale for <$300 every few weeks that seems to be the sweet spot for price/performance.
Comes with 4 HDD bays and no OS.

this is my exact server. Lenovo TS140. it is a beautiful thing

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Internet Savant posted:

You could run Plex server on a core i5 2nd or 3rd gen computer with win10 that you buy off eBay for $130 (buy it now price). If you look really hard, you might find a core i7 for $130-$150.

why buy windows 10 to run plex server, the software that runs perfectly and install simply on free linux OSes

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There might be prepackaged PlexOS images too, like they do for the raspberry pi etc.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Dren posted:

why buy windows 10 to run plex server, the software that runs perfectly and install simply on free linux OSes

Refurbs usually come with a genuine Windows 10 license. I got a Dell Optiplex with an i5 2500, 8GB of RAM, and a 250GB HDD with Windows 10 from Amazon for my dad to use as a gaming PC. Only $179 at the time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

If you're scared of linux, you can also pick up a windows 7 key off ebay for pennies, and it won't keep rebooting itself and breaking everything like win 10 does.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Don't install Windows 7 on anything, it will be end of life in ~18 months.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Also, the Windows 10 installer, which you can download directly from Microsoft, still accepts Windows 7 and 8 keys as valid and will activate successfully. Though once you do this, the key will no longer activate in Windows 7 or 8.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Nettle Soup posted:

If you're scared of linux, you can also pick up a windows 7 key off ebay for pennies

Do this, but use the Windows 7 key to register a Windows 10 install.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have Plex running on Windows 10 and haven't had any trouble with it at all.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Nettle Soup posted:

If you're scared of linux, you can also pick up a windows 7 key off ebay for pennies, and it won't keep rebooting itself and breaking everything like win 10 does.

Win10 has done nothing like this for me on any of the dozens of PCs I've been using for the past ~2 years, ever since the free upgrade was a thing. Sounds like you've got a separate hardware or software issue, or perhaps a case of PBKAC.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Most people whose Windows won't stop loving up are doing something dumb. Events like that update that broke intranet video streaming for a few days are rare.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My Win10 installs have never done anything drastically bad, but I'm still not a fan of the OS itself personally. I can imagine bloated retailer installs are behind a lot of peoples issues. It's likely to be less of a headache than using a Linux OS if you're doing anything beyond a really standard install if you have no prior *nix knowledge, but for the moment I'm more than happy sticking with my Mac Mini server which also is my primary machine and runs perfectly fine for 6 year old hardware.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

TheScott2K posted:

Most people whose Windows won't stop loving up are doing something dumb. Events like that update that broke intranet video streaming for a few days are rare.

Windows 10 is still a festering pile of poo poo because of all the telemetry and Candy crush installs that come back with every uspdate. It's a pain in the Enterprise world too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

2018 is the year of linux on the desktop

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Moey posted:

Windows 10 is still a festering pile of poo poo because of all the telemetry and Candy crush installs that come back with every uspdate. It's a pain in the Enterprise world too.

LMAO

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

2018 is the year of linux on the desktop

Windows 10 is a linux

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I like my Shield TV as a Plex server. There were some kinks early on, but these days it runs smoothly. My only concern is that it's going to be difficult/impossible to migrate my library to a new device when the time comes, and there are some plugins that I'd like to run that I can't.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Moey posted:

I keep hearing that, but somehow Candy Crush has never *ever* come back on any of my computers at home. It's almost like it might be...

Atomizer posted:

perhaps a case of PBKAC.

EDIT: If you're running Win10 home or pro in an enterprise, you get what you pay for. Almost everything people complain about in the enterprise world is solved via running Win10 enterprise and configuring your GPOs.

FAKEEDIT: I run Plex on a Server 2012R2 VM. It's rock solid, but it's prolly not for everyone.

The Diddler fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Aug 24, 2018

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

To be fair though, I know exactly what he's talking about with MS installing unwanted programs with major updates; it's just never been a hassle to deal with because it only takes a few clicks to remove and it's part of my post-update procedure including clearing the old update files to save SSD space. I think they may have phased out Candy Crush though; I recall some other game showing up as installed after more recent updates. This also may exclusively be with Home edition, as well.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
Eh. Win10 gets along fine with one of my systems. The other one, however, gets murdered on every major update.

1703 broke something in my Office install, but only when logged into a MS Account. Reinstall of Office fixed that.
1803 somehow blew up DirectX (Bad Image - dxgi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error… and other assorted errors) which rendered a ton of stuff unusable, including browsers and search (apparently Cortana uses DX for something). It also blew up the update cache. Fixing that one was a doozy.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

lurksion posted:

Eh. Win10 gets along fine with one of my systems. The other one, however, gets murdered on every major update.

1703 broke something in my Office install, but only when logged into a MS Account. Reinstall of Office fixed that.
1803 somehow blew up DirectX (Bad Image - dxgi.dll is either not designed to run on Windows or it contains an error… and other assorted errors) which rendered a ton of stuff unusable, including browsers and search (apparently Cortana uses DX for something). It also blew up the update cache. Fixing that one was a doozy.

Sounds like your drive is going, IMO

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I had an issue with playing videos (that previously worked) on my apple tv plex client and removing the Codecs folder on my Plex server Docker install (running on unraid) cleared it up. Just in case anyone runs into something similar. You can just move/rename the folder for the same effect, it reloads it but I guess mine was corrupted or something.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

lurksion posted:

I've never had a system do anything like that, and I was going to add what Scott suggested: it sounds like you've got file corruption due to a bad drive, power outage, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
For anyone running Ubuntu, is it better to start with a new HDD, format it, and then copy over data?

I have a new 8TB that I'm using as a replacement for a few 2TB and 3TB NTFS drives. I've yet to order my new server but should I wait or will I have issues connecting the 8TB drive, formatted with NFTS and all my media, to the new Ubuntu setup?