Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

President Ark posted:

You have modular armor and you haven't switched to electric furnaces yet? :catstare:

I switched back to steel furnaces when I had logistics bots and a plant producing solid fuel for them. Electric furnaces take up too much space and draw too much power. I need that power for my two giant walls of laser turrets that keep the bugs off my continent. I just use the electric furnaces for areas outside the logistics network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My Steam Engines aren't receiving the max water they can. Is anyone else getting this problem? I've got a ridiculous amount of water pumps, but the max I'm managing to get for my Steam Engines is around 8 water. I made a small electricity setup off to the side and the Steam Engines were receiving 10 units of water (6 Steam Engines, 6 Boilers, 1 pump).

I feel like it's negatively affecting my electricity generation, because the generators aren't receiving enough water to boil and produce electricity. Any tips? Am I putting my pumps down wrong?

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Try feeding each array of boilers and engine with a single pump isolated from the rest of your water system. It looks like since you integrated the entire thing that maybe there isn't enough bandwidth in one or more pipe segments to feed everything at once.

Alternatively, remember that you'll only generate the power you need so make sure that's not the issue either.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

RE: Steel vs Electric furnaces, I think the ability to use modules and not having to reroute my coal lines vastly outweighs the disadvantages. I usually rush for electric furnaces, solar power and efficiency modules at about the same time to balance everything out.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

My Steam Engines aren't receiving the max water they can. Is anyone else getting this problem? I've got a ridiculous amount of water pumps, but the max I'm managing to get for my Steam Engines is around 8 water. I made a small electricity setup off to the side and the Steam Engines were receiving 10 units of water (6 Steam Engines, 6 Boilers, 1 pump).

I feel like it's negatively affecting my electricity generation, because the generators aren't receiving enough water to boil and produce electricity. Any tips? Am I putting my pumps down wrong?

Nice clean setup but sadly fluids in factorio don't work like that. 1 offshore pump will feed 14 boilers which can keep 10 engines at max(ish). Add small pumps to the feed prior to the boilers if you want a couple of percent extra performance. I set them up as an offshore into a 5 wide pipe T-junction each of which has a small pump and 7 boilers on it and feeds into 5 engines each. Blueprint and stamp out as required.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
Electric furnaces as soon as you get them are a bum deal. Assuming you're on steam power and not using modules, they are worse in every way but convenience: they burn twice as much fuel per smelt, they fit in less space, and they pollute ever-so-slightly more (though whether this is a negative or positive will vary by player/playthrough).

It is worth noting that burner drills/furnaces *can* benefit from the effect of modules, as beacons will affect them. The feasibility of doing so is a little questionable, but it is A Thing.

Ratzap posted:

Nice clean setup but sadly fluids in factorio don't work like that. 1 offshore pump will feed 14 boilers which can keep 10 engines at max(ish). Add small pumps to the feed prior to the boilers if you want a couple of percent extra performance. I set them up as an offshore into a 5 wide pipe T-junction each of which has a small pump and 7 boilers on it and feeds into 5 engines each. Blueprint and stamp out as required.

Minor quibble: 1 offshore pumps will feed any number of boilers; it's the engines that cause the limit. The pumps make 60 water/sec, the engines consume (at max) 6/sec each. The boilers just input as much heat as they can (up to 390kW) to any water that happens to be inside them as it passes through, flowing into the engines.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'll drop this in here again.

#factgoonio on synirc. We don't have a lot of folks now but if you already idle in some other channels come on by. It'd be nice if we could get it lively.

Edit: PFFFFFT effeciency

Boogalo fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Mar 17, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Boiler advice worked! Hurray for efficiency.

Another problem I'm facing now is the Roboport Repair Pack thing. I can't figure out how to supply all my Roboports with 20 packs each. I can't figure out what I need to do. My construction bots don't seem to use packs unless they're directly in the Roboport.

Also, is there any benefit to having multiple links between Roboports? Right now, my ports are all connected singularly in a line sort of deal. Would it be better to build more ports and have multiple connections between each?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

That is, objectively, the wrong way to set up the boilers. Because inserters will take from one boiler to feed the next, you want this:

One line of fuel feeds an infinite number of boilers, effectively. (I've never found a situation where I ended up with enough demand to need more than one line of blue belt.)

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

I think I'm ruined on most other world gens. Tried to start up some with normal sized deposits but uh... yeah... didn't feel quite right.

Probably should just do the same world, but with loving less enemy bases.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Loopoo posted:

Boiler advice worked! Hurray for efficiency.

Another problem I'm facing now is the Roboport Repair Pack thing. I can't figure out how to supply all my Roboports with 20 packs each. I can't figure out what I need to do. My construction bots don't seem to use packs unless they're directly in the Roboport.

Also, is there any benefit to having multiple links between Roboports? Right now, my ports are all connected singularly in a line sort of deal. Would it be better to build more ports and have multiple connections between each?

Put your packs into an active chest as they come off the assembler, the robots will distribute them to the roboports for you. It's about the only real use for active chests.

More ports mean they have to move less and they have more recharge points. The downside is roboports are a considerable drain on power, personally I set them up in a maximum spaced grid.

Kenlon posted:

That is, objectively, the wrong way to set up the boilers. Because inserters will take from one boiler to feed the next, you want this:

One line of fuel feeds an infinite number of boilers, effectively. (I've never found a situation where I ended up with enough demand to need more than one line of blue belt.)

That's a nice idea, I like that.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Elth posted:

RE: Steel vs Electric furnaces, I think the ability to use modules and not having to reroute my coal lines vastly outweighs the disadvantages. I usually rush for electric furnaces, solar power and efficiency modules at about the same time to balance everything out.

Yeah, not having to run a fuel line is really convenient when you're setting up new furnace stacks. Especially if you're running trains, since now you can smelt stuff right as it comes out of the ground and ship back plates instead of raw ore.

What I don't get are the people who tear down their perfectly fine steel furnaces ASAP just so they ... can occupy more space and get half the efficiency out of burning their coal. That makes no sense to me. If you've already gone to the effort of running a fuel line, there's no reason to replace your furnaces until you're geared up to pack them full of modules.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Once I get electric furnaces, any new furnaces I put down will be electric, but I don't convert my old steel ones until later. I'm usually too busy automating petrochem and blue science to worry about my steel furnaces anyway.

I also design my foundries with the intent of switching to electric from the vary start. An extra space between each furnace and long-arm inserters for one set of furnaces works well. Eliminating the coal belt and shifting the ore belt down gives me enough space for both rows of electric furnaces.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
100% railroad logistics is fun.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Solumin posted:

Once I get electric furnaces, any new furnaces I put down will be electric, but I don't convert my old steel ones until later. I'm usually too busy automating petrochem and blue science to worry about my steel furnaces anyway.

I also design my foundries with the intent of switching to electric from the vary start. An extra space between each furnace and long-arm inserters for one set of furnaces works well. Eliminating the coal belt and shifting the ore belt down gives me enough space for both rows of electric furnaces.

I've been building furnaces with the intent to upgrade them later, but by the time I want to upgrade to electric en masse, I have construction robots. I'd rather just use them to tear down the old furnaces and replace them with a blueprint at that point.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Well sure, that's what I end up doing too. I just don't have to worry about belts, besides removing the coal one.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

My original oil deposits have reached lowest yield, and aren't enough to provide sufficient petroleum production for my factory.

Are my only options: a) to move my entire petroleum industry to a new oil well location or b) set up pumpjacks on an oil-well-rich area and barrel all the oil up and ship it via train to my already established petroleum facility?

I'm thinking of doing b, but it seems like it'll be a logistical bitch to do, especially when I have to repeat the process again when the oil wells dry up.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Loopoo posted:

My original oil deposits have reached lowest yield, and aren't enough to provide sufficient petroleum production for my factory.

Are my only options: a) to move my entire petroleum industry to a new oil well location or b) set up pumpjacks on an oil-well-rich area and barrel all the oil up and ship it via train to my already established petroleum facility?

I'm thinking of doing b, but it seems like it'll be a logistical bitch to do, especially when I have to repeat the process again when the oil wells dry up.

I'm in the same spot, thankfully there's some oil patches in the no-man's-land south of my base so I'll probably just put some wells and turrets out there and pipe it up

Another 'problem' I have is I set up a sick rear end train to mine the gently caress out of a ton of iron and ship it back, but I have nothing to spend that much iron on so I just have a train full of loving iron running back and forth and a mountain of steel sitting around. Of course that will probably change once I finish my robotics researches and start mass producing those, but first I have to set up a real copper mine, since the stuff I've been sitting on since the game started is drying up... *logistics problems intensify*

Also wish there was an upgraded tank at some point, something faster. Yeah I hear the power armor kinda does that (still working on it) but I like driving the tank :v:

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Loopoo posted:

Allow me to give you 2 more options.

c. tanker rail car mod. skip the barrel unbarrel step. It works nice.

d. underground pipe it in. Just make a factory that builds them for you, and you'll have it done in no time, and it doesn't really take that many resources. Like rail, the pipes are mostly ignored by biters. Using underground pipes makes it pretty fast to lay, and barely affects aboveground movement much.

d is probably the most common choice.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Indecisive posted:

I'm in the same spot, thankfully there's some oil patches in the no-man's-land south of my base so I'll probably just put some wells and turrets out there and pipe it up

Another 'problem' I have is I set up a sick rear end train to mine the gently caress out of a ton of iron and ship it back, but I have nothing to spend that much iron on so I just have a train full of loving iron running back and forth and a mountain of steel sitting around. Of course that will probably change once I finish my robotics researches and start mass producing those, but first I have to set up a real copper mine, since the stuff I've been sitting on since the game started is drying up... *logistics problems intensify*

Also wish there was an upgraded tank at some point, something faster. Yeah I hear the power armor kinda does that (still working on it) but I like driving the tank :v:

I'm burning through so much iron, it's ridiculous. I've been on the same big deposit of copper for the 17 hours of gameplay, yet I've gone through 3 equally sized deposits of iron! My trains can barely unload fast enough, and I've become pretty drat good at disassembling and reassembling iron outposts. I love the logistical aspect of trains: laying down new track, deciding the route it goes, placing the signals down and then finally seeing it work perfectly with multiple trains.

Aurium posted:

d. underground pipe it in. Just make a factory that builds them for you, and you'll have it done in no time, and it doesn't really take that many resources. Like rail, the pipes are mostly ignored by biters. Using underground pipes makes it pretty fast to lay, and barely affects aboveground movement much.

I'll download the tanker rail car mod, then. I think it's rather pointless doing the whole barrel / unbarrel step. Will make it so I can also set up outposts that process fuel down to petroleum and then transport that.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Aurium posted:

If you do this youll also want to put in an electric pump after every 2(?) map 'grids'/'chunks' to keep the pressure up, otherwise itll just dribble down the pipe by the end. This post explains pumps and fluid pressure in depth.

Aurium
Oct 10, 2010

Loopoo posted:

I'll download the tanker rail car mod, then. I think it's rather pointless doing the whole barrel / unbarrel step. Will make it so I can also set up outposts that process fuel down to petroleum and then transport that.

And now I'm imagining a remote outpost entirely devoted to boiling water, and then training it in for my boilers to run on.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Why stop there? Pump the water out of the sea at some other remote outpost, and train that over to boilertown first.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Jabor posted:

Why stop there? Pump the water out of the sea at some other remote outpost, and train that over to boilertown first.

Why stop there? Have a remote outpost way out in the middle of nowhere that churns up iron and copper, smelts it in electrical furnaces, assembles it into a pump, transfers it into a train, which rails it over to another outpost way out in the middle of nowhere, where it gets deposited in a storage chest, and then construction bots build it and the storage tanks, which then get put into the tank car...

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

I just discovered this game the other day and finally finished level 2(the one with the train). I never really actually got the train running, just ended up bussing in ore in the trunk of my car. At some point it seemed to just randomly check off the goal that the train station was running, or whatever the wording was. Anyways the whole level took me like 7h45m and i just wanted to say that i'm really bad at video games.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game

Aurium posted:

I've got the whole oil into barrel and train shipment process set up, and i have to say it's quite satisfing. The end goal of this game is covering the words with steel and factories, and rails do work much better than pipes in that sense.
Hopefully those trains spill quite some oil when they move, i would be disappointend if they don't

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
Speed modules will let you squeeze a bit more performance out of nearly dry wells, too. Not enough to supply your factories, probably, but enough to give you plenty of time to set up another couple pumps.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

peepsalot posted:

I just discovered this game the other day and finally finished level 2(the one with the train). I never really actually got the train running, just ended up bussing in ore in the trunk of my car. At some point it seemed to just randomly check off the goal that the train station was running, or whatever the wording was. Anyways the whole level took me like 7h45m and i just wanted to say that i'm really bad at video games.

The objective seems to update when you research the technology for laying down rails and poo poo, so it's not actually required to every mess with trains.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
How to get the most oil from your wells:
  • Don't abandon 'dry' wells. 0.1 oil is 0.1 oil, and 10-20 of them adds up to 'some'. Better than nothing! I hate seeing people tear up/depower their dry fields.
  • Speed mods in wells. Turn that 0.1 to 0.2! Power is basically free so that's free oil. Spread some beacons around to get them to .3 or .4, and 20 of them adds up to sustainable amounts of oil.
  • Production mods in Refineries. If output becomes too slow, build more refineries.
  • Don't tank any oil products (MAYBE lube), and have LOTS more heavy/light cracking plants than you need. If petrol is full, congrats you're not short on oil. If anything else backs up, you don't have enough cracking. Tanking (or barrel-chesting) crude oil is acceptable to forestall peak oil, and give you some indication that you'll need to do steps 2 and/or 3 again.
  • Whenever there is a T-junction in long pipes (usually having Alaskan Pipeline situations from remote oil fields), use an Electric Pump to pull oil towards the main line. This keeps pressure on your refineries high, so they aren't sharing oil with the whole pipe network (which can slow refinement marginally when you're scraping the bottom)

pre:
 Example
O - Oil field   O   O
R - Refinery    |   |
- - Pipe        |>-->--R
> - Pump        O

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
JESUS CHRIST IT'S A TRAIN GET OFF THE TRACKS updated to 1.0.0, no longer a WIP!
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=21725

Changes:
  • Newer, better logic - only dodges moving trains (unless they're being manually controlled)
  • COWARD_MODE - always dodges, even if you're pressing movement keys
  • QUIET_MODE - no gasping

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
I hope this is never broken.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I quite like these two:

If you just want to swap and not split you can make the lower one smaller by removing the bottom underground belt, but I like the symmetry.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I wish there were actual smart splitters that could just move one product to one side every time without wierd janky tricks like that

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Indecisive posted:

I wish there were actual smart splitters that could just move one product to one side every time without wierd janky tricks like that

Agreed. I appreciate the clever belt tricks, but I'd really prefer there just be an actual part for it.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

GotLag posted:

I quite like these two:

If you just want to swap and not split you can make the lower one smaller by removing the bottom underground belt, but I like the symmetry.

I don't understand what's happening there. I see the input and output, but can't figure out why that works.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

WhiteHowler posted:

I don't understand what's happening there. I see the input and output, but can't figure out why that works.

Items on a belt running into the side of an underground entrance like that will only proceed on the lane of the belt closer to the "taller" bit of the entrance; the other lane is blocked.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

WhiteHowler posted:

When you're side-loading onto an underground belt, one lane gets blocked by the side of the ramp thingy.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
^^^^- we're all so helpful

WhiteHowler posted:

These depend on side-loading the output of an underground belt. Let's say an underground belt is outputting to the east, and the output tile is being loaded from the north by another belt. The western side of the northern belt is blocked by the output port of the underground belt, so it can't get on. The eastern side, however, is not blocked, so its contents can be loaded in. This can be used to filter out one side of a belt.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

GotLag posted:

JESUS CHRIST IT'S A TRAIN GET OFF THE TRACKS updated to 1.0.0, no longer a WIP!
https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=21725

Changes:
  • Newer, better logic - only dodges moving trains (unless they're being manually controlled)
  • COWARD_MODE - always dodges, even if you're pressing movement keys
  • QUIET_MODE - no gasping

Sweet, we'll add this to our MP save and Drone can thank you later

peepsalot posted:

Heya Peeps, welcome to Factorio, get comfy because you're likely to be here a while (it's slightly addictive).

Jabor posted:

Yeah, not having to run a fuel line is really convenient when you're setting up new furnace stacks. Especially if you're running trains, since now you can smelt stuff right as it comes out of the ground and ship back plates instead of raw ore.

What I don't get are the people who tear down their perfectly fine steel furnaces ASAP just so they ... can occupy more space and get half the efficiency out of burning their coal. That makes no sense to me. If you've already gone to the effort of running a fuel line, there's no reason to replace your furnaces until you're geared up to pack them full of modules.

There are two reasons I can think of: if you're trying hard to minimise pollution (and thus biter problems) you'd want to remove the coal burners ASAP IFF you're generating solar of course. Second if you have fuel supply problems but that'd be easier to fix with fuel bricks or shipping in coal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

GotLag posted:

I quite like these two:

I understand how first one works but could someone explain how second one works? How are items seemingly moving diagonally?