Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eukara
Aug 5, 2014

Do you believe in life after bomb?
While we are at it, Night Trap should be put on Steam Greenlight too 8)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey, guys! I ran across something in my Tumblr feed, of all things, that I wanted to share. It's a Steam Greenlight game called Five Nights at Freddy's. I haven't seen it mentioned here yet. Apologies if it has.

Here's the Steam Greenlight page about it. Basically, you're the night-time security guard in a Chuckee Cheese kind of place. Problem is, during the night, the animatronic animals aren't so friendly... I watched some videos about it last night. It is legitimately the most terrifying game I have ever seen. I had a couple nightmares about it last night, and I wasn't even playing it!

Here's a pretty good video that highlights what the game is like:

Five Nights at Freddy's by Achievement Hunter

It's really good, there's alot of little things that really add to the atmosphere/horror. Well worth buying it on desura for 2.50 while waiting for the steam release.

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Kragger99 posted:

Is there a way to get rid of all my $0.03 backgrounds/emotes? I've added trashbot, but it's always offline now. Is there another one?

EDIT: Figured it out. Looks like it was Trashbot(2).

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe
Just been surprised by the 'Glyph' universal patcher that Trion Worlds have introduced to Rift/Defiance. Just coincidentally, it has a 'store' page and can't be deinstalled, although you can set it to exit once the game has launched.

Slightly annoying that something I *bought* now has a store front-end tacked on, but given the move towards microtransactions in full price games, I'm not entirely surprised.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
For the past few days, every time I open up Steam it runs the self-updater and tells me that there was an update on August 14th that I should apply. I've applied the update three times and it continues to pop up. Is there a way to clear it so I don't have an extra popup to close whenever steam runs?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's pretty great how much Freddy's took off once people saw the game in action. Last I checked it was in the top 25, so it'll almost certainly be in the next greenlit batch.

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Are any goons still playing Entropy? Or has that crowd shifted back to Eve/money-pit-kickstarter-game?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

LibbyM posted:

I've gone on a rant about this too many times in steam threads, but whatever problems LFD1's scoring had, it was actually viable as a fun competitive experience unlike lfd2's.

If you play a capture the flag game you get 10 points for scoring, 0 points if someone stops you from capturing the flag just before you score. In left for dead 2 if you stop someone from scoring just before they score, they still get 9.9 points instead of 10. In a capture the flag game it's really exciting and fun to stop someone from scoring at the last second. In left for dead 2 it's meaningless. It takes out the tense fun moments of a competitive game and makes it just a boring grind where everyone's kind of close all the time.
The scoring system is entirely based around closing the safe room door and clearing out any campers. As that score gets multiplied by number of survivors and which map it is, having said score number in the hundreds to thousands per map, becomes instantly demoralizing to the losing team that wiped and got a couple points after spending many minutes struggling to survive. The Director occasionally favors a team the whole game and rarely spawn zombies, so Rushing became the only tactic. A team can reach the end in two minutes, casually bypassing the Tank and Witch with impunity, while flooding the other team with zombies and early Tanks.

The game is almost always decided if one team survives a map with three survivors and the other fails. Catching up is incredibly hard and people know it, teams drop as soon as a full team makes it to the end, because you will never have fun catching up, and expect to be endlessly taunted by the other team. I don't remember if the AI on your team probably don't even add to your score, so having openings also work against you.

So what did the few remaining purists decide on how to improve the scoring system? By having health packs add to the score and further inflate the advantage the winning team would get. L4D2 did it right by making the points difference be much smaller. I would have L4D4 be decided based around the number of times they get to the safe room. Drops don't matter and AI still make a difference to scoring.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
Speaking of Steam updates, have the recent ones been throttling anyone else's cpu? I was around 97% usage on my i5 760 with Steam running; after I killed the process I went down to 22%. I'm running Chrome and Photoshop at the moment as well, but Steam is just going bananas.

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
(edit: My) steam client and steam web processes combined take up under 1% CPU and under 200k memory used so I dunno about your steam

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I'm busy blazing through Deus Ex: HR, but GMG has Dishonored GOTY for $7.49 and Fallout 3 for $2.49.

http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/action/dishonored-game-year-edition-na/
http://www.greenmangaming.com/s/us/en/pc/games/rpgs/fallout-3/

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Ninkobei posted:

Are any goons still playing Entropy? Or has that crowd shifted back to Eve/money-pit-kickstarter-game?

It's super bad-awful.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Any goons playing AirMech? I'm trying it out, and thought I'd put someone as my referral if they want. Can't promise I'll play the game for long though.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I joined the SA Steam group hoping for this but everyone just sits in there trying to be ironically funny. I've looked for public groups like this but could never find anything.

You kinda have to either hunt for them or literally just create your own out of your steam pals. I'm sure you could find some buds to play with in this thread, or in the thread for a particular game.

PS - I sent you a forum PM. :v:

Justin_Brett posted:

It's pretty great how much Freddy's took off once people saw the game in action. Last I checked it was in the top 25, so it'll almost certainly be in the next greenlit batch.

Last night I tried another experiment for my private 'steam clubhouse' group. A few of my friends met up in the group chatroom, and we played a game of what I like to call 'greenlight roulette.'

Basically, we all refresh our greenlight lists and look for cool gems or laughable stinkers.

Last night was the first time I saw Five Nights at Freddy's, when it came up on my greenlight list, and it made me flip the gently caress out. Definitely THE standout cool game of the ones we saw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RP4UTOek0-Y

As for the worst, there we a few. Here's one, and it wasn't even the worst:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=295659971

Basically someone got a terrain/tree generator for unity and now is an 'idea guy' for a survival game.

Their amazing original model work:

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 17, 2014

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
(double post whoops)

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Hav posted:

Just been surprised by the 'Glyph' universal patcher that Trion Worlds have introduced to Rift/Defiance. Just coincidentally, it has a 'store' page and can't be deinstalled, although you can set it to exit once the game has launched.

Slightly annoying that something I *bought* now has a store front-end tacked on, but given the move towards microtransactions in full price games, I'm not entirely surprised.

I just saw it, but I'm OK with it because it seems a bit more robust than the previous defiance launcher, the ads don't really bother me because I figure after playing it for a month you'll be done with it. It doesn't seem like the kind of game where additional transactions are essential to complete it.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mehuyael posted:

Any goons playing AirMech? I'm trying it out, and thought I'd put someone as my referral if they want. Can't promise I'll play the game for long though.

I haven't played in a while. You can hit me up if you want to play with someone during the weekend or whatever. My referral link if you also want it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

As someone who absolutely adored Dishonored, would it be worth it to pick up the GOTY? I just played the base game, no DLC and no Daud aaaand uit's sold out. :I

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Kin posted:

I just saw it, but I'm OK with it because it seems a bit more robust than the previous defiance launcher, the ads don't really bother me because I figure after playing it for a month you'll be done with it. It doesn't seem like the kind of game where additional transactions are essential to complete it.

There's two or three DLC packs, but the launcher is destined to become another storefront. Amusing thing is that it doesn't understand Rift installed via Steam (and I bought Defiance before it hit Steam).

Re: Entropy

Orv posted:

It's super bad-awful.

http://steamcharts.com/app/255500 - Players are down to single digits, which is bad for an MMO. They've announced that they're re-working a lot of it, but the developers went dark a couple of months ago. Much like Starpoint Gemini II, it started as one thing and has drifted to something slightly different. Every month or so I fire it back up, but it's pretty drat terrible.

spider wisdom posted:

Speaking of Steam updates, have the recent ones been throttling anyone else's cpu? I was around 97% usage on my i5 760 with Steam running; after I killed the process I went down to 22%. I'm running Chrome and Photoshop at the moment as well, but Steam is just going bananas.

It spikes when it starts downloading updates in the background, sometimes this happens after loading, sometimes a little later. Just make sure that you haven't set it to spider for music, or be aware that will churn through processor.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

As someone who absolutely adored Dishonored, would it be worth it to pick up the GOTY?

Yes. It's frequently on sale, and the DLC is uniformly great. Feels like a proper expansion with big, interesting levels and some fun new gameplay mechanics.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The combined Daud DLC campaign is better than the vanilla game. Get it, get it, get it.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
It was nice to play a character that spoke and had thoughts about stuff. It helps that Daud is cool and has cool stuff to use.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Duad's dlc also starts at end game difficulty and ramps that poo poo up in interesting ways. Those loving statues.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I just noticed that Fable Anniversary is $35. Is it only a graphical overhaul?

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

FadedReality posted:

For the most part yea, and a really lovely one that ruins a lot of the games atmosphere too.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Tardcore posted:

For the most part yea, and a really lovely one that ruins a lot of the games atmosphere too.

Well that's a shame to hear. Fable 1 & 2 were some of my favourite games, flawed as they were.

Does the original version still hold up? I'm fairly certain I own it on Steam.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

FadedReality posted:

I thought it was some HD update of Fable 1/2, given that 2 has never been released on PC.

Nope, just Fable 1, a game that still looks really good today because of the specific aesthetic design used.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That HD update always baffled me. It's just the game (and its expansion?) with better graphics. You figured they'd rework the game and let you choose your hero's gender like in the later titles and maybe add some things to the game.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Hav posted:

Much like Starpoint Gemini II, it started as one thing and has drifted to something slightly different.

Esplain Lucy. I liked what I've played of Gemini 2, but the last time I did that was months and months ago, I was just waiting for it to be finished. What's up with it?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jimbot posted:

That HD update always baffled me. It's just the game (and its expansion?) with better graphics. You figured they'd rework the game and let you choose your hero's gender like in the later titles and maybe add some things to the game.

That's how 99% of HD updates are. I'm struggling to think of any that aren't just a graphical update.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Do they fix the controls at all? I recently got the original during the Steam sale out of nostalgia, and found that the controls made it fairly unplayable.

Also: anyone tried Hands of Fate? It looks promising, but it's also early access.

sector_corrector fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 18, 2014

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's how 99% of HD updates are. I'm struggling to think of any that aren't just a graphical update.

Well to be fair, that is what an HD re-release is, as well as what they're advertising it as; not as some major gameplay overhaul re-release. I agree that the price-point seems a tad high (and whoever commented that the graphical style of Fable TLC still stands up relatively well is right, so I'm not sure why this was necessary other than to milk F:TLC dry), although as far as I'm aware they have actually delivered on what they've claimed by calling it an 'HD re-release' - which is actually a first, for Lionhead!

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

"HD re-releases" for PC games that have been "HD" for over a decade now are really lame. They couldn't have just released a widescreen patch for the original game? But then they couldn't get people to buy the same game again for literally no upgrade.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Scalding Coffee posted:

The game is almost always decided if one team survives a map with three survivors and the other fails. Catching up is incredibly hard and people know it, teams drop as soon as a full team makes it to the end, because you will never have fun catching up, and expect to be endlessly

Agreed. Time for disjointed words about L4D scoring systems! L4D1's scoring system really heavily weighted certain things such that one team finishing with two people alive rather than three resulted in a gently caress huge points difference that's hard to come back from. Two teams in L4D1 where one is a bit better than the other will not appear to be close according to the numbers so it's a little disheartening to play through. L4D2 did right as far as I was concerned by making surviving bestow a flat bonus rather than a modifier.

The problem with the L4D2 scoring system is that instead of weighting some things too heavily, it just based everything on distance which promotes rushing and especially promotes the dickhead tactic of abandoning your teammates when things go tits up to squeeze an extra couple hundred points out of a round that may or may not have been salvageable, I don't think people should be rewarded for that sort of poo poo but this scoring system makes that the best option for the lone player who didn't get pinned and there will always be one player who didn't get pinned because you can't have more than 3 pinning Special Infected at any one time. L4D1 by contrast doesn't weight distance enough IMO since a team who makes it 99% of the way before wiping and a team who barely makes it out the door will have a completely negligible points difference between the two.

Both systems have different but glaring problems, L4D1 weights survival heavily to a fault where a minor play difference can result in a huge score discrepancy where there really shouldn't be while L4D2's system is transparent and as such kind of easy to game. They both kinda sucked dick at the scoring, lets be honest.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I just finished Van Helsing 2 and I think it was was pretty fun. I really liked the banter between you and your hunting partner, it helped flesh out the world and prevent things from getting boring. The presentation of the story was done really well (for an arpg). I liked the opportunities, if you chose, to go do those tower defense things. Of course, you could always send some of your troops with a hero general to take care of them for you if you didn't want to do any TD stuff. There was some nice mini-base building(not quite) stuff and one of your quests gets you a giant hellhound you can train up and have as a companion.

The arpg combat was pretty nice, but I admit I was pretty loving confused by a lot of the inventory things like the forging of wearables and whatnot. The stuff I found and then enchanted seemed to do me just fine. Oh well, it's there for people who like that type of thing.

But yeah, pretty fun game and if you enjoy arpgs I'd totally suggest you pick it up. I was at level 31 by the time I beat it, but by the skill trees it looks like you need to import your character and run through the game again in order to access a lot of them. There were a lot to access in my one playthrough, too, I'm not at all complaining.

The ending...I didn't realize it ended until the credits popped on screen. Look forward to VH3 in the near-ish future, I guess. Haha.

Overall, I thought they improved upon the first game in every way. Also, you could really tell the game was made by Eastern Europeans because holy poo poo there's references to every loving movie and random pop culture shlock. It's not annoying at all and passing enough to be amusing, thankfully.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 18, 2014

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

The biggest problem with the Fable HD release is that the graphics are actually worse than they were in the original version. People's faces, specifically, look really loving terrible. The environments look a little better overall I guess though?

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
On the other hand, Anniversary actually has controller support and TLC doesn't.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I guess I'm in the minority here but I thought Fable 1 looked really loving grody when I tried it, and I hated the keyboard controls. I like the look of Fable: Anniversary and would really appreciate controller support, so I'll probably pick it up when it goes on sale.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I wonder if they'll tweak the aging system so my character isn't 50 years old before I'm halfway through the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just dont level up. Your character's age is directly tied to their level.

Which was kind of hilarious when you rescue your kid sister and you're a craggy white haired mountain of scars and she's what... still 12?

• Locked thread