Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jackard posted:

My grimdark village does not accept jesters or their lighthearted buffoonery.

I always thought it was weird that jesters were played straight, like their songs and jokes actually do cheer up the party.

For some reason I assumed they'd be mad fragile DPS people, and a preacher/musician or something would be the 'bard'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I still think the best way to make Jesters actually somewhat good would be to give all their attacks a naturally really high crit chance, offset by mediocre-to-low damage. The idea I have is that their overall damage output should be merely okay, but they should still be pretty nice to have around since the constant crits are decent for stress mitigation.

I mean, it makes sense. When everything's going to poo poo and there are gribbly horrorterrors everywhere and you're on the verge of breaking down, you're going to take one look at Chuckles the Doom Clown cartwheeling around and getting into scythe-fights with Satan and just burst out laughing. What the gently caress is he doing here? Jesus Christ, Chuckles. What are you doing. Ha ha ha! Goddamn it Chuckles. I can't concentrate on being terrified with your goddamn jingling bells and your constant awful jokes. I hate you so much Chuckles. Please come to the tavern with us after this expedition, we love you. You awful horrible clown.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 15, 2015

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

double nine posted:

Okay, can someone explain to me how the hell I change my controls? Also who the gently caress releases a game without that feature?

You can't, because everything is done by mouseclicks. So there aren't really any controls to change.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Well you can use AWD and the arrow keys, and T will burn a torch. I think there are other hotkeys but I haven't been able to find them, although I accidentally selected one of my group once by hitting something I didn't know what I'd done.. ;)

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Okay, can someone just give me an entire team/trinket/move setup that makes the Jester useful? I'm nearing the end of my best run yet and I felt a lot better after just giving up on them. They just seem so bad in every respect compared to most any other class in every slot that I don't get how anyone can use them outside of gimmick or completionist runs. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills :psyduck:
I like using them third slot back, alongside a highwayman+crusader+occultist. I generally play the buff and the the stress reduction and then attack near the end of the fight, so the crusader is in second row and the highwayman is shooting from third.

I'm kinda confused on the stress reduction song, does it only work every so many turns, or have a chance to fail without any message? It seems like half or more of the time it just doesn't do anything.

I keep losing jesters early though, which blows because I want to get one up a couple ranks and see what his dodge looks like.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle
You can't play the stress song from the third slot, only the back one. Jester has some weird placement restrictions, actually. I wouldn't say Solo is powerful enough to restrict it to one slot, same with the stress song. So strange. They don't really need two nearly overlapping bleed moves too.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

coyo7e posted:

and T will burn a torch.

gently caress, i didn't know this. I'm so glad to learn it too, cause I hated swapping the map/inventory screen back and forth while walking through the hallways constantly.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

[Jesters] don't really need two nearly overlapping bleed moves too.

They're not overlapping though. One is full damage to one target, and one is half damage to two targets. They're separately useful, unless you consider cases like the Crusaders Smite and Zealous Accusation, or the Leppers Hew and... whatever his normal swing is called to be overlapping too. It's very useful to be able to spread your damage over multiple targets sometimes, especially when one of the targets just needs a little nudge to die.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 15, 2015

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Locke Dunnegan posted:

You can't play the stress song from the third slot, only the back one. Jester has some weird placement restrictions, actually. I wouldn't say Solo is powerful enough to restrict it to one slot, same with the stress song. So strange. They don't really need two nearly overlapping bleed moves too.

Not sure how an AoE move overlaps with a much stronger single target attack. You can't really replace one with the other.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Well yeah, I understand the differences between single and double target attacks. I guess I just focus on the lovely bleed more than the damage itself, because I've never had a Jester that did even average damage.

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Class balance as a whole is hampered by giving different classes different base damage. With the exception of the Leper and his terrible accuracy, the list of good classes is the same as the list of classes with high base damage. Some of the lower damage classes catch up at max level because they have +% damage on their main attacks, but then you add +% damage trinkets and camp buffs and it all swings back to base damage again.

There's certainly room for out of combat passives to make up the difference, but while there's room on the character sheets for them the feature hasn't been confirmed to my knowledge.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I'm not referring to where he's standing. I'm referring to the fact that I can use the song four turns in a row, and it'll only actually do something 1 or 2 times total. I haven't sat down and counted out the amount of time but it almost feels like there's an invisible time limit on how often you can get the stress reduction to go off - even though you can use the skill every turn.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008
How does turn order work? Is it just everyone acts once per round, and turn order within each round is based on speed + some randomness + factors like surprise?

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

coyo7e posted:

I'm not referring to where he's standing. I'm referring to the fact that I can use the song four turns in a row, and it'll only actually do something 1 or 2 times total. I haven't sat down and counted out the amount of time but it almost feels like there's an invisible time limit on how often you can get the stress reduction to go off - even though you can use the skill every turn.

How else is someone supposed to interpret "third slot back" other than party placement? :psyduck:

EDIT: Wait, I'm not talking about the stress reduction chance, I'm directly referring to your response to my question of where and how to use the Jester. I responded to your response to my question and what

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 16, 2015

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

coyo7e posted:

Locke Dunnegan posted:

How else is someone supposed to interpret "third slot back" other than party placement? :psyduck:

EDIT: Wait, I'm not talking about the stress reduction chance, I'm directly referring to your response to my question of where and how to use the Jester. I responded to your response to my question and what

I haven't played this game in a month or more but when I used Jesters I consistently got much greater stress reduction indirectly from the additional crit rate on their party buff song, than I did directly from the stress heal song. They were a great class for running really long dungeons between level 3 and 5 or so but weak at low levels (because party was too weak to do long dungeons) and weak at the very top levels (because party was so strong the critical boost became redundant).

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
^^^ Yeah thanks, I've been reading through the thread from page 1 and have seen folks talking about that, it's jut that my jesters and GDs are all eating poo poo in early rank 1, so I never get them to the point they're dodging and critting like crazy. :)

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Because maybe I wasn't looking at my game and misremembered? Guess we figured it out though, so I'm glad. ;)

I was trying to talk about why the Jester seems bugged, and really gave no fucks about where he was standnig because I was talking about using the ability and it simply doing nothing. Like, not even a miss or fail message, it just doesn't do anything. When it works there's the sheet-music animation and stuff and it shows how much stress is reduced (3 or 4 at skill 0 iirc) but if you use it every turn back to back, it seems like it's failing to even FAIL, 3/4 of the time or 2/3. :( I did use it on a certain character and check his stress before/after a no-message use, I think, and it showed no numeric change. Early in the thread people were talking like it hit 1 or sometimes more than 1 character at a time but now it seems like it hits the whole group, or just doesn't even try to hit or miss..? :crossarms:

Gough Suppressant posted:

How does turn order work? Is it just everyone acts once per round, and turn order within each round is based on speed + some randomness + factors like surprise?
It kinda feels to me like it goes in order of SPD, then it goes backward, then in order of SPD again.. I noticed that one character with a pretty high/low SPD will get back to back turns, and I was assuming they were getting the first/last of two different turns because *reasons*

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 16, 2015

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

coyo7e posted:

Because maybe I wasn't looking at my game and misremembered? Guess we figured it out though, so I'm glad. ;)
It's a rare talent to admit a minor mistake and come across as a bigger oval office than before. :bravo:

It's fine that when you responded to my request for party comp you didn't remember the stress heal ability party position requirements, whatever. I wasn't trying to make fun of you, you just started talking about another topic that had nothing to do with the quote you were seemingly responding to. Chill out bruh

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.
The jester stress reduction song has a 60% success rate on odd skill levels, and a 70% success rate on even skill levels.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I find Jesters to be in a really weird spot personally, same as Plague Doctors. It's hard for me to find justification in putting them in a party in spite of another class. Maybe the introduction of Class passives will change that.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

coyo7e posted:

^^^ Well you can use AWD and the arrow keys, and T will burn a torch. I think there are other hotkeys but I haven't been able to find them, although I accidentally selected one of my group once by hitting something I didn't know what I'd done.. ;)
Q and E - select party members
O - bring up Quirks screen for selected party member (a screen I didn't even know existed, the button for it is off to the left side underneath the pawn chess piece icon)
I and M - Inventory and Map
C - bring up your Character sheet for the selected party member

These are the ones I've found so far. Q and E are really useful.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I just saw a guy in the Steam community forums say "There's a way to copy your save files for mod bug testing, but I'd rather not state it openly since I'd be enabling casuals"

TheBlandName
Feb 5, 2012
Today brought the greatest patch. AoE attacks from enemies no longer crit everyone in your party at once.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

TheBlandName posted:

Today brought the greatest patch. AoE attacks from enemies no longer crit everyone in your party at once.

Heal crits give stress relief!

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Azran posted:

I just saw a guy in the Steam community forums say "There's a way to copy your save files for mod bug testing, but I'd rather not state it openly since I'd be enabling casuals"

people like that need brain surgery

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Azran posted:

hahahahhahahahahahahhaah

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Picked this up on the Steam Sale last week and I'm glad, because I've been playing it non-stop since then because it's fun as hell and (almost as importantly) it's keeping me from spending more money.

Jester talk: I added one to my roster early on just for variety (and not knowing really what class was (specifically) good for what) and he quickly became my go-to frontline attacker. Maybe it was just luck with the RNG, but his dodge was so high he rarely got hit, and he did decent damage. I've never used his stress reduction song, mainly because the party combo I use him with (Jester/Crusader/Occultist/Arbalest) seems to get out of their quests with less than 30 stress anyway. He's level 5 now with something like a base 50 dodge (or more, can't remember off hand).

BUT! Now I only use him or the Crusader when all of my Men-At-Arms are unavailable, because the Man-At-Arms is far and away the best fighter class IMHO with their riposte defense/attack and their defensive buffs. My best party combo by far is MAA/MAA/Highwayman/Vestal, with the frontline MAA more attack oriented (Retribution/Crush/Rampart/Bellow) and the second slot one more defensive (Bolster/Defender/Crush/Retribution). Bolster buffing the entire party is great, and especially helps with boss fights or double-wide baddies who can attack the entire party at once. And the riposte defense with Retribution is (almost) like having two attacks. Not huge attacks, of course, but I've found that it takes care of low-level monsters pretty quickly and grinds down the big ones faster than, say, Crusader attacks. And it really helps with boss fights, like the prophets or the hags where they tend to sit in the back and can't be reached by a lot of front line attacks - so when the bosses attack the party, they get smacked.

and I always say "talk poo poo - get hit" or "talk back - get a smack" in time with the baddie attack/riposte animation because you have to, you just HAVE to

fake edit: I say this about the MAA only having used the Leper a little bit at the beginning, they all kept getting killed so easily.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

New update on the Kickstarter page with a roadmap for the next few months:

quote:

The next update, in July, will be:

New Hero: The Houndmaster! This rugged ex-constable will wander into the Hamlet, accompanied by his faithful Wolfhound and help restore order to your lawless acreage!
Sanitarium overhaul! A significant rework of quirks, diseases, and the Sanitarium is coming! You'll be able to sculpt your heroes a little more by locking your favourite positive quirks on them - but be warned, doing so is permanent, and cannot be reversed.
Diseases will also be separated into their own category, and better integrated into the game game flow.
Armor up! Armor icons will upgrade on all heroes.
"And more..." Quality of life changes, balance, tuning, gameplay tweaks and other additions are always going into the build!

Other backer rewards, like personalized heroes, item design, etc will be coming online over the summer - you haven't missed anything! We'll be in touch with you regarding these rewards as soon as we're ready to roll them into the game.

Looking Ahead...

After the July update, the next stop for us will be the Cove, a completely new dungeon with it's own bosses, monsters, curios, traps, and obstacles! If things weren't salty enough, get ready to choke down on the briny waters as your sodden adventurers push ever closer to...
The Darkest Dungeon!

Our full 1.0 release is scheduled for late October, this year!

The final dungeon and story content will be added, and you will conclude your quest to restore your family's estate, or die trying. What can you expect in the Darkest Dungeon? We're not saying a word.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Yessss permanent quirks are coming! And of course Doggymaster

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

The MaA buffs affect the whole party??? :psyduck:

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The MaA buffs affect the whole party??? :psyduck:

Bolster does, at least. Defender just guards one other member. Not sure about Command, I don't think I've ever used that.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

So we're just missing the Houndmaster and the Merchant, right?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Azran posted:

No actually, there's one other unannounced class that's a reward for one of the big Kickstarter donors.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Snow Job posted:

No actually, there's one other unannounced class that's a reward for one of the big Kickstarter donors.

IIRC that's supposed to be a variant of one of the base classes, right?

Snow Job
May 24, 2006

Azran posted:

IIRC that's supposed to be a variant of one of the base classes, right?

The backer-only variant class is a separate thing.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Azran posted:

Houndmaster coming in July

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Locke Dunnegan posted:

It's a rare talent to admit a minor mistake and come across as a bigger oval office than before. :bravo:
If you're offended then unfortunately, that's on you. I was simply relating that I was glad that things were (belatedly) cleared up, and if you somehow took my smiley face as some form of passive-aggressive thing, well, you need to work on your reading comprehension, or possibly seek professional help. Carry on fighting the forces of oppression though, everybody wants to be a martyr! :black101:

Now if you're offended though, that's on me for thinking you're a twit. Before, I was being cheerful and friendly and you took it as some kind of personal attack or something.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

People talk about the Plague Doctor being weak but I guess I only ever used them in a team with a Hellion at which point those two can stun the whole field so they always seemed decent to me. That their lovely healing ability can remove some debuffs is a side bonus. We've already established I probably over-value Bleed, and hey Incision! I just can't bring myself to dislike a character who can bleed someone, stun half the field, OR heal/remove debuffs. That's a lot of utility covered in one package, and together with a Hellion they're just brutal.

I'm also super attached to my current PD because he (she?) has like 8 negative traits but none of them are serious enough ones to warrant removal... But that is one weird motherfucker at this point. Renamed from Postel to Postal cuz yeah eventually they're going postal. I accept this.

brocretin
Nov 15, 2012

yo yo yo i loves virgins

chairface posted:

People talk about the Plague Doctor being weak but I guess I only ever used them in a team with a Hellion at which point those two can stun the whole field so they always seemed decent to me. That their lovely healing ability can remove some debuffs is a side bonus. We've already established I probably over-value Bleed, and hey Incision! I just can't bring myself to dislike a character who can bleed someone, stun half the field, OR heal/remove debuffs. That's a lot of utility covered in one package, and together with a Hellion they're just brutal.

Yeah, I've been warming to the Plague Doctor. Stacking DoTs is less impressive than doing one big gently caress-off lump of damage, but over the course of a battle (especially a big one), it's no less effective. I think people see 'doctor' in the name and subconsciously assume it means 'healer', but the PD is really anything but. Her trinkets also allow her to bleed and blight enemies with crazy resistances, so I don't think her usefulness even falls off vs. pigs and stuff. Maybe the upcoming disease changes will make Leeches more useful, too!

Also re: the jester talk earlier, he needs a serious buff. Maybe there's something I'm missing, but IMO there is no part of that character that isn't done better, more conveniently and paired with more utility by some other class. His only redeeming skills are his camping abilities, but that alone does not a character make.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

It's probably old news now, but since that goon mentioned that the two stat buff moves of MaAs buff the whole party, I made a new save with the intent to make a full MaA party ASAP and see how it fares. No one has been near death or affliction since I got a full team, and I have wrecked every single Easy boss with ease, and only have the cannon to go. Every single one of them has Retribution/Crush/Rampart/Bolster?(the dodge/spd one) and the Teamwide +Dodge camp skill, which I stack four times. The turns are 99% Bolster/Ret/Ret/Ret, but the other two moves are there for the rare instances that a stun or more immediate damage is needed, which hasn't really come up yet.

It actually annoys me how strong and well-rounded the team is for being a single class. Full party AoEs trigger all three Rets for massive damage, the Necromancer never stood a chance :allears:

EDIT: I don't think my game has updated since the recent change to MaA, now that I think about it. I looked it up and they removed stun, but I am definitely stunning people. That changes things I guess!

Locke Dunnegan fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jun 17, 2015

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Man I need to try Man-at-Arms x4. They're ridiculous now, Man at Arms is the new Hellion! Except even better because they have more utility abilities.

Cometchaser
Oct 20, 2008

Being dead's not so bad
What does it mean when an item refers to rank? I have a couple of Leper-only items that say like "+stat when in Rank 1, -stat when not in Rank 1." Is this referring to the resolve level of the character, or the level of the mission? Or something else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Position. Rank 1 is the front of the party.