Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Zogo posted:

BBR added some new translation feature on their player pages (to help with searches).

Some examples:

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Modern Greek:
Καρίμ Αμπντούλ Τζαμπάρ

Wilt Chamberlain - Tamil:
வில்ட் சேம்பர்லென்

Tim Duncan - Georgian:
ტიმ დანკანი

LeBron James - Persian:
لبران جیمز

Michael Jordan - Japanese:
マイケル・ジョーダン

:waycool:

I've always thought of Chamberlain as a Prabhakaran esque figure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Codependent Poster posted:

I don't think him coming back now will have a big impact on the Pacers chances. I'm hoping he's just playing to get past the mental part and testing out the leg and giving the team some hope for next year.

Yeah I don't think he's going to tear it up or anything, I'm just not sure why the front office has been holding him back for a couple weeks and then now pulling the trigger. Maybe they are hoping he will look good and it will spurn season ticket sales for next year.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

Yeah I don't think he's going to tear it up or anything, I'm just not sure why the front office has been holding him back for a couple weeks and then now pulling the trigger. Maybe they are hoping he will look good and it will spurn season ticket sales for next year.

Fan service is an important consideration for any team, especially if you're not LA or New York. It's a feel good story for him to come back this year after the nature and brutality of the injury, I don't fault them for wanting to get him out there this year, even if it's largely meaningless in the standings.

Edit \/\/\/ Yeah, it was disgusting.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 4, 2015

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

T

The B_36 posted:

Fan service is an important consideration for any team, especially if you're not LA or New York. It's a feel good story for him to come back this year after the nature and brutality of the injury, I don't fault them for wanting to get him out there this year, even if it's largely meaningless in the standings.

hat was still the second worst basketball injury I've ever seen. After Kevin ware ofc.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ramadu posted:

T

hat was still the second worst basketball injury I've ever seen. After Kevin ware ofc.

quick someone post a picture of both injuries so we can compare

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Belome posted:

Those 1995-1996 records are fake anyways. Curry has three of the top 4 spots already.

Steph's about to have 3 of the top 5 three point shooting seasons in NBA history back-to-back-to-back. That's... pretty good.

And if the Dubs are going to sit guys for any of their remaining games it should be against the Pels. Kerr doesn't seem like he believes much in gamesmanship though.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Steph's about to have 3 of the top 5 three point shooting seasons in NBA history back-to-back-to-back. That's... pretty good.

And if the Dubs are going to sit guys for any of their remaining games it should be against the Pels. Kerr doesn't seem like he believes much in gamesmanship though.

I'm hoping Kerr pulls a Pop and elects to sit his starters against the Spurs.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
PG was the worst sports injury I have ever seen live.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

EvanTH posted:

I saw both that and the aforementioned Ware injuries live. And didn't know what happened until the first replay, which was generally a slow-mo closeup shot. :v:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

EvanTH posted:

shaun livingston/willis mcgahee

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Yeah, PG's was one of the worst-looking NBA injuries, but Livingston's was actually much worse.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
(I meant Live as in Live-Broadcast-On-TV, not in-person, even though everybody seemed to know what I meant so why am I making this note) I managed to miss Ware, and Livingston but now that I think of it I think I have some childhood memories of watching Jets v. Kansas City back in late November '92 so unless it's a false memory I might've seen a worse injury.

I guess for basketball Derrick Rose's ACL was the most dramatic career-endingest although not the most brutal since PG's gonna be fine

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Everyone trumpeting the Spurs resurgence and the end of the "loaded Western conference" narrative can stop now, cuz if Tiago Splitter's injury keeps him out for any significant amount of time and into the postseason then shiiiiiiiiieeet
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25135765/report-spurs-tiago-splitter-getting-mri-on-calf
At least it'll be fun to see Kawhi's playoff form evolution no matter what happens, as a Spurs fan you kind of forget how fun it is to watch young players grow (george hill doesn't count).

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
He's already been Finals MVP it's all downhill from here.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Another advantage of George coming back for six games is he'll definitely be in game shape heading into the offseason, and he won't have any doubts about whether he can handle any organized activities. He'll no longer be a question to himself, the team or the media. They'll be able to focus on trying to do something good with their cap space and forget this season ever happened.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was getting Chinese food during Ware's and turned the channel 30 seconds before George's and I'm really happy that way

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

oops

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
sorry but this isn't the soccer thread, buddy, this is the basketball thread

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Metapod posted:

quick someone post a picture of both injuries so we can compare

Do not do this!

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Nail Rat posted:

Another advantage of George coming back for six games is he'll definitely be in game shape heading into the offseason, and he won't have any doubts about whether he can handle any organized activities. He'll no longer be a question to himself, the team or the media. They'll be able to focus on trying to do something good with their cap space and forget this season ever happened.

Well, the cap space up until Roy and West use their options. Next year is kind of a dud and all I can hope is that they don't commit any more money for 2017.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Nail Rat posted:

It'll also help the Pacers decide whether they think the future is George or the Two C.J.s

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I would like to kiss Brad Stevens

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I would like to kiss Brad Stevens

Hopefully he's better at kissing than hugging

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Everyone trumpeting the Spurs resurgence and the end of the "loaded Western conference" narrative can stop now, cuz if Tiago Splitter's injury keeps him out for any significant amount of time and into the postseason then shiiiiiiiiieeet
http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybasketball/update/25135765/report-spurs-tiago-splitter-getting-mri-on-calf
At least it'll be fun to see Kawhi's playoff form evolution no matter what happens, as a Spurs fan you kind of forget how fun it is to watch young players grow (george hill doesn't count).

I feel like Tiago still gets chronically underrated.

However if Baynes is even serviceable and Diaw keeps being as good as he has been it's not going to totally end their run I don't think.

Diaw's play is totally unsustainable though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I was a hundred feet away from Garbajosa's injury. Which you should never see.

https://youtu.be/ag_fQ1EyhXk&#t=3m45s

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

dokmo posted:

I was a hundred feet away from Garbajosa's injury.
Did the Warriors lose Leandro?!

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

dokmo posted:

I was a hundred feet away from Garbajosa's injury. Which you should never see.

https://youtu.be/ag_fQ1EyhXk&#t=3m45s

Your link is as broken as Garbo's leg was. I assume it was intentional.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The B_36 posted:

Your link is as broken as Garbo's leg was. I assume it was intentional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag_fQ1EyhXk go to 3:45

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

memphis is down 10 to washington right now

remember
Nov 23, 2006
The Baron Davis one freaked me out the most.

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

It's so heartless to just add a gruesome, career-changing injury like that as bonus footage on an Al Jefferson highlight reel.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Is Shaun Livingston a goon?
https://vine.co/v/OlInUazdxXq

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

straight up brolic posted:

memphis is down 10 to washington right now

Memphis just one loss ahead of the Spurs now, with the Pelicans and Clippers coming up.

Hopefully Kerr rests his starters on the B2B game against the Spurs tomorrow.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Dubs now hold two season sweeps of the other projected Western Conference playoff teams (Houston and Dallas). They can potentially hold regular season sweeps of over half of the rest of the Western Conference playoff field if they win their final games against the Blazers and Pelicans and New Orleans slips ahead of OKC for the 8 seed.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

grizzlies dropping to sixth is rapidly becoming a likelihood

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

hitze posted:

Is Shaun Livingston a goon?
https://vine.co/v/OlInUazdxXq
The way he recoiled in horror at realizing he had a fist full of meat, I'd give Livingston the benefit of doubt. It looks as much like he was raising his arm as durk shoved his rear end out...

Qmass fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 5, 2015

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
hooray blazer won okc 1 game ahead from the pels

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I was at the Suns/Jazz game tonight, and, it was pretty bad so I just started watching Exum and not much else besides Gerald Green. My impression after the first half was "oh I see what all the scouts see in Exum." He's quick, his first step is amazing, he finishes well, seems to know when to attack and when to pass, and moves laterally great and is long as hell so him becoming a good defender seems possible (he also seems bigger than 6'6"), and his jumper seems fixable. But watching him in the second half, I just couldn't get over the fact that he's loving bad at basketball. On offense the Jazz were usually playing 4 on 5 because if he wasn't involved in a play he looked like he was actively tuning out, and most plays in the second half he didn't do anything but bring the ball up and run to the corner and then zone out, and the Suns didn't seem to feel the need to defend him much. Sometimes it was 4 on 6 because he would be in the completely wrong place, actively in the way of the Jazz's offense, at one point he even accidentally picked his own teammate. He has good instincts on who to pass to, but his passes are all wild and even simple things like passing to Hayward start an ISO play meant Hayward was having to chase down the ball. And while there's potential for him to be a good defender, right now it looks like he's a kid pretending to play defense to not get yanked, or like a Carnival haunted house cardboard cut out that pops out to try and cause a jump scare without actually impeding any forward progress.

NBA player development is amazing and the Jazz are one of the better franchises at that, so he has a chance. Can't imagine what would've happened to him with a franchise that needed to win basketball games.

Rick fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 5, 2015

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
And his trash talk in 2k15 is lovely too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Dirk on Shaun Livingston trying to defend him by grabbing/punching his dick. "But I really enjoyed his tight grip he got. I really enjoyed that.”
http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...knee-injury.ece

Grozz Nuy posted:

Dubs now hold two season sweeps of the other projected Western Conference playoff teams (Houston and Dallas). They can potentially hold regular season sweeps of over half of the rest of the Western Conference playoff field if they win their final games against the Blazers and Pelicans and New Orleans slips ahead of OKC for the 8 seed.

Maybe next year they will play the Mavs full lineup once.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 5, 2015

• Locked thread