Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Absolute classic World Club Cup final between me and Man City (a repeat of the CL final)

They went 2-0 up early on, we pulled it back to 2-1 on the stroke of half time, struggled to 2-2 full time, they scored first in ET but we eventually won 4-3 with two goals from Fernandes who'd got the winner against them in the CL a few months earlier. One of the most exciting matches I've played, especially for a final (if only for a dumb tournament with joke teams in the early rounds) and fun to imagine the fans going nuts about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Was getting loads of big-ish offers for my starting players last transfer window. Problem was they were rubbish with inconsistent and hates big matches, something I had to make do with. Signed replacements for them, now I'm getting no offers for them as everyone's figured out how flawed they are and my squad (and budget) is looking outlandish.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I always found selling players was always so difficult

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Since FM21 I've found a lot more disconnect between players' listed values and what they actually sell for.

Also since FM21 it's a lot harder to sell unwanted players if they're not already pissed off. If a dude's morale is high and you transfer list him, he flips out and then refuses to leave even if bigger clubs are offering him higher wages. You have to make sure to tank his morale before you transfer list him.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Slotducks posted:

I always found selling players was always so difficult

Fond memories of playing as Feyenoord a few seasons ago and getting a £15m offer from Monaco for Bruno martins indi, countering with a 'please gently caress off' counter offer of 90m and them just going 'yeah okay' and I broke the transfer record without even trying

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
The board have announced plans to enlarge the stadium... by 50 seats.

No small-club mentality here, we're going for broke.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i'm in the year 2052 and shakhtar's academy are in the ukrainian premier league somehow

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I had to sell one of my Brazilian AMCs in the summer, but managed to get £80m out of Man United in the process.
It was more or less cool, though, since he was the one who'd played the poorest last season (he still played really well).
Still, that just meant it was time for my Mexican AMC to make the step up to the first team. And after a few months playing together, our AMC partnership is even more disgusting than it was before:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The second player is good balance and a left foot away from being pretty decent.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Confession, I have like 3000 hours in FM and I have never once seen anyone attempt an overhead kick

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

Confession, I have like 3000 hours in FM and I have never once seen anyone attempt an overhead kick

Tries overhead kicks is a PPM but yeah I don't remember seeing one for a long while at least.

In older versions you used to get defenders using them for clearances weirdly often I think

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

27 fouls against Elche and 1 against Real Madrid :lol::lol:

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

mrnoun posted:

The board have announced plans to enlarge the stadium... by 50 seats.

No small-club mentality here, we're going for broke.

They just added another 50 seats. I think they're taunting me.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

mrnoun posted:

Did they say that there was a chair shortage because no-one wants to work anymore?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

lmao absolutely FM'd to gently caress here

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

A couple days ago I had the ol' classic 1-1 draw where we took 32 shots and they took 1

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

mrnoun posted:

On the flipside my Newmarket Town now has a 26k stadium.

Pity we lost the promotion playoff final and are stuck in Vanarama National for another season.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Which nations have the deepest league system/pyramid outside of England in FM?

I'm thinking about my FM23 save because six/seven years in with Cork City I've been knocked out in the Champion's League playoff again. This is my second Irish-ish save on 22, got both teams to dominate domestically and get to group stages of Europe, and with almost seven hundred hours clocked up and maybe fifteen seasons there's no real motivation to keep pressing on with the clubs.

I do know I won't start in Wales again, what a shithole. And I think I'm bored of Ireland because domestically it peters out when I get to my level. Some nice deep league with easier registartion rules and a team from a big town/city low down the leagues that I can build would be great.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
The answer is probably France or Germany (unless you're using a custom DB in which case all bets are off). Maybe a Red Star Paris or 1860 München save?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mrenda posted:

Which nations have the deepest league system/pyramid outside of England in FM?

I'm thinking about my FM23 save because six/seven years in with Cork City I've been knocked out in the Champion's League playoff again. This is my second Irish-ish save on 22, got both teams to dominate domestically and get to group stages of Europe, and with almost seven hundred hours clocked up and maybe fifteen seasons there's no real motivation to keep pressing on with the clubs.

I do know I won't start in Wales again, what a shithole. And I think I'm bored of Ireland because domestically it peters out when I get to my level. Some nice deep league with easier registartion rules and a team from a big town/city low down the leagues that I can build would be great.

It’s time for Energie Cottbus to make their triumphant return

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
If you don't mind using a lower league mod, consider HVV Den Haag in the Netherlands, currently an amateur club in the 7th tier. They won the Eredivisie 10 times between 1890 and 1914, but haven't won a single trophy in over 100 years. They're a pretty good sleeping giant save.

If you'd rather not use a mod, consider Lyngby Boldklub in Denmark's 2nd tier. They were a big deal when it came to youth development back in the 80s and 90s. When Denmark won in 1992, something like 7 of their players had come through Lyngby on their way up. Then they got a new chairman, who promptly sold all their best players to Kobenhavn. Then he resigned and took over as Kobenhavn chairman a few months later. Lyngby ended up tumbling all the way down to I think the 4th tier at one point before clawing their way back up.

So you've got a small-town club with a genuine grudge against the biggest, richest bullies in the country, who also happen to be pretty much from the neighboring city.

I also just generally like the Danish league structure and rules. The season goes by pretty quickly, there aren't a lot of meaningless cup matches to bog things down, and there's a healthy winter break so your best players will be fresh for the European knockout stages. The registration and work permit rules are also pretty straightforward. The only time I haven't been able to register someone is when I accidentally signed them for less than the minimum wage. There are some other fun clubs in the Danish pyramid. I just think Lyngby coming back for revenge makes the best story.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I tried Denmark last year and I hated the season structure. It's a normal Euro winter league but with a massive winter break and short summer one. The league splits into top and bottom playoff sections at the midway point except that doesn't coincide with the long break it happens a few games after. It's a disjointed mess and they really should run a summer schedule like Sweden and Norway if they can't play through winter.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I dunno where it's coming from in-game, but I've found the Irish summer league doesn't really interact very well with the regular seasons from the big leagues. Stuff like finding affiliations and getting loans for some reason hasn't worked for me. I can get loans, but there's none of the massive discount on fees/wages you see other people get. Also, the game's scheduling can't keep up with a domestic Irish team doing well in all competitions. If it were to happen in real life it'd be a pretty big shock as it's unlikely, but I'm sure there'd be some last minute rearrangements to put stuff on during international breaks, etc. if the teams agreed. Because this can't happen in game you get absolutely weird runs where you're playing six or seven games in two weeks, then you have ten days with nothing.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Yeah, SI has put more or less zero effort in figuring out what to do with summer Euro leagues.
Finland is the one I have most experience of, and while you can probably just about manage a European campaign in autumn with judicious use of friendlies to keep match fitness up, good luck if you're still in it after Christmas. I'm pretty sure the transfer window doesn't open until after the First Knockout Round, so there's a good chance you won't be able to replace the good players you just had to sell. Also, games are few and far between and I've had issues being able to arrange friendlies, so your team might have little-no match fitness.

Oh, and if you reach the Final of the Finnish Cup, there's a good chance it'll coincide with international duty and you'll have barely any first team players available.

I think I first reported this as an issue over 5 years ago and it's still broken as poo poo.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It's more a UEFA problem than an SI one I think. Love to have an end of season team refresh and then boom, time to register your continental squad, enjoy your maximum 3 new players!

Bonus points if you're playing in Iceland, where the window opens after continental registration so enjoy your zero new players!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I had a good Norway save in FM21 and Sweden in FM22. The only significant bugs I remember is one of them didn't close their squad registration properly so you could add/remove players all season, and the other did close their registration but in a way that meant domestic transfers and loans wouldn't be registered by their new clubs and never play.

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

yugioh mishima posted:

i'm in the year 2052 and shakhtar's academy are in the ukrainian premier league somehow

in case anyone was wondering how they did, they had an, uh, record-breaking season!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

yugioh mishima posted:

in case anyone was wondering how they did, they had an, uh, record-breaking season!

Lmao this rules

Shazback
Jan 26, 2013
Add a manager, field a team exclusively of players called Nicholas, Nick, and Nicky for a whole season as Minaj.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sounds like a real minajerie

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Somewhere, a Derby County fan is smiling.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Shazback posted:

Add a manager, field a team exclusively of players called Nicholas, Nick, and Nicky for a whole season as Minaj.

a long time ago I noticed that there were a ton of Brazilian players named Everton and wanted to start a game as Everton and make the team exclusively players named Everton, but in the end it was too much of a bother so I never did it

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

vyelkin posted:

a long time ago I noticed that there were a ton of Brazilian players named Everton and wanted to start a game as Everton and make the team exclusively players named Everton, but in the end it was too much of a bother so I never did it

That's the nature of gimmick saves in my experience.

Always wanted to build a Rapid Vienna team where everyone has 17+ pace/acceleration or something like that but it seems more trouble than it's worth for a small pay-off.

Or a Liverpool save where you can only sign players called Barry who've been scouted by the Barry Hunter. Maybe sign other scouts with the surname Hunter to expand your pool a bit.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Newmarket Town is going to League Two! Absolutely rolled the league and we're in the FA Trophy final, finally fixed our defensive issues.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Headline announcements for FM23 were just made. No woman's foot this year (I imagine it'd be the first thing they'd announce if it was.) UEFA competitions are now included with a license, branding, logos, official group draws, etc. There's a new staff interaction style system for transfers, a kind of internal rating system you control where you set up your own squad depth and then look for targets based on that appraisal. There's a revamp/more inclusive supporter profile, where the style of a club's fans will affect your rating as a manager/job security, etc. You can see some of the fan profiles, so whether they're casual fans, hardcore fans, fairweather or corporate, etc. And that should tie into how much time you have as a manager, what their expectations are, etc. Finally, there's the good old match engine improvements, Nic Madden was saying every on-the-ball decision has been overhauled, so they're more believable in how they make decisions. The last time they talked about decision making there was a big improvement, so hopefully that holds out again. (My own desire is that teams play badly in a more believable manner, rather than just turning to complete idiots playing a better team.) Finally, the match engine stuff is hinting at gegenpressing no longer being the only real tactic anyone employees. Teams can make use of soaking tactics and counter attacking tactics more, and part of that is tied to both tactical setup changes and player decisions.

Overall, it seems like there's a lot of gloss being put on some elements, while it'll be the match engine stuff that makes the real difference.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The last big change to match engine decisions was giving players the ability to make and change their decisions moment by moment. Overhauling how they make each decision isn't nearly as significant and honestly should be expected with every annual update to the game.

They make noise about the end of gegenpressing every year. Two years ago it was making players tire quicker, last year it was players working less hard when they were tired. Fiddling with stamina doesn't really change anything when the mentality spectrum they use has teams sit deeper and play slower as they feel more and more inferior, making them sitting ducks for high pressing tactics. There's been no shortage of AI sides using "soaking and counter attacks" in previous FMs. It's always very easy to beat. Until they change what "counter attack" actually means high pressing will always be the endgame way to go once you gain a reputation as a strong side in your division.

Fan demographic profiles have existed under the hood for a very long time. Best I can tell they'll have limited-to-no actual influence on how careers go. Will be a neat screen to look at once at the start of every save, I guess.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah it sounds like this is going to be one of those years like FM20 (or was it FM19, I don't remember) where nothing substantive really changes. Just some cosmetics and a database update.

It would be very on brand for SI to finally throw up their hands and add some "no gently caress you player you're not allowed to gegenpress, do it and you lose" hardcoding and declare mission accomplished.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 30, 2022

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
They were saying that if the fans hate you enough you can get fired even if you have board confidence, so you need to care a little

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

sassassin posted:

There's been no shortage of AI sides using "soaking and counter attacks" in previous FMs. It's always very easy to beat. Until they change what "counter attack" actually means high pressing will always be the endgame way to go once you gain a reputation as a strong side in your division.

I wouldn't mind the gegenpress dominance if it was reflected in the visual engine. Having one striker running between three passing defenders shouldn't result in them passing it forward and making a stupid second pass that means you're on the attack. Two centre backs and a dropping back full back against a single striker meant they had time for the intitial pass. Similarly, having them play out of defence shouldn't mean that all routes are closed off, and they make the inevitable one bad pass, which results in your whole team building slowly from the back despite a quick counter from the two/thirds of the pitch being on. It keeps on happening, you break down their play-from-the-back, get the ball forward, and then it's still slow build. Never mind going back to attackers getting run towards the penalty edge of the box and not putting the ball in the centre for an oncoming player, although video seems to suggest they're making attempts at that this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

They were saying that if the fans hate you enough you can get fired even if you have board confidence, so you need to care a little

And last year they made out like dynamic nation ratings were a big deal. My understanding is that each chairperson will have a "how easily influenced are they?" rating, so fan response is getting filtered through that and then they're not going to fire you if you're meeting the pre-existing criteria we've had for years anyway.

Fractions of fractions within existing systems rather than an exciting new dimension to the FM experience.

Eric the Mauve posted:

It would be very on brand for SI to finally throw up their hands and add some "no gently caress you player you're not allowed to gegenpress, do it and you lose" hardcoding and declare mission accomplished.

Coding something to identify your tactic and then make it lose is a far greater challenge than anything they'll actually do. This isn't FIFA, the game isn't scripted.