Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

August: Osage County getting botched might be the biggest cinematic crime of the last decade.

In terms of plays turned movies, I think the colossal misfire that was Les Miserables has to take that prize (I generally liked August: Osage County, but John Wells' inexperience with a camera really shows with the blocking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

gently caress Whitey posted:

I have like half a thesis about comics as cultural snapshots and Archie is that writ large

Archie and Mad Magazine together tell you almost everything you need to know about the mid-to-late 20th century.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Timby posted:

In terms of plays turned movies, I think the colossal misfire that was Les Miserables has to take that prize (I generally liked August: Osage County, but John Wells' inexperience with a camera really shows with the blocking).

I found the film of Les Mis literally unwatchable. That said, I didn't even give the film of August... a shot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Are there any Pinter adaptations people would recommend? I've read some of his plays but reading a play is a bit like listening to a dance.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

therattle posted:

I found the film of Les Mis literally unwatchable.

My wife breaks out the Blu-ray every few months and I'm at the point that I just have to go down to the basement or to my office upstairs; between Russell Crowe "singing" like a bear defending its young, Amanda Seyfried's warbling, the incomprehensible decision to record all the singing on-set and oh my God the close-ups, that movie is going to give me an aneurysm one of these days.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

Are there any Pinter adaptations people would recommend? I've read some of his plays but reading a play is a bit like listening to a dance.

Betrayal is essential watching. Jeremy Irons kills it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Skwirl posted:

Yep: Friedkin's The Birthday Party.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Ayo I'm feeling way too nauseous to make it to the protests at JFK today, so I'mma instead help the cause in that most upper-middle-class of ways: money!! So far I'm planning to donate to Make the Road and CAIR today, but if anyone has any other organizations to call out for doing good work against Trump's anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim policies, please send those my way and they're gonna get some bills as well...

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
ACLU's a good one, they just filed lawsuits this morning.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
See, here's where a government shutdown and general strike would do some good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

See, here's where a government shutdown and general strike would do some good.

When they go low, we tweet pictures of the statue of liberty crying

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

When they go low, we tweet pictures of the statue of liberty crying

That or just turn on a dime.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Archie's been dope for years, I'm glad people are finally realizing it.

Archie's been dope for 71 years.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Archie's been dope for 71 years.

There's that weird period where the characters were licensed to some right wing Christians that produced some horrible poo poo.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Jenny Angel posted:

Ayo I'm feeling way too nauseous to make it to the protests at JFK today, so I'mma instead help the cause in that most upper-middle-class of ways: money!! So far I'm planning to donate to Make the Road and CAIR today, but if anyone has any other organizations to call out for doing good work against Trump's anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim policies, please send those my way and they're gonna get some bills as well...

I've been giving my wife's money to PP, ACLU and the Southern Poverty Law Center for awhile now but I might have to divert some to CAIR I think they're really gunna need it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Skwirl posted:

There's that weird period where the characters were licensed to some right wing Christians that produced some horrible poo poo.

The collision of over-the-top religious hucksterism with bordering-on-pop-art psychedelic comic mayhem is kind of sublime.

edit: i mean, this is is great. I'd buy this as a poster:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

The collision of over-the-top religious hucksterism with bordering-on-pop-art psychedelic comic mayhem is kind of sublime.

edit: i mean, this is is great. I'd buy this as a poster:

The politics behind a lot of it is some loving disgusting poo poo though

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Skwirl posted:

No they only did like two of those. Most of that was done at Archie because the writer got born again. They licensed the characters to him and agreed to publish some stuff for him to get him off the book

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Jenny Angel posted:

Donate to the help dickeye get an apartment fund

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lurdiak posted:

It doesn't, of course, but Hbomb is wondering how SMG "arrived at his conclusion" and it makes it sound like there's a process involved that I'm not discerning.

That Sonic and the characters in Star Wars 7 are unthreatening isn't the conclusion; it's one point in the broader ideological critique.

Like, you can establish a contrast with how Rogue One (the better-made film with, not coincidentally, more progressive themes) received a lot of nerd criticism because the (sex-having, adult) characters were deemed 'dour' and 'unlikeable', the whole film dismissed as 'grimdark' - despite there being not much of an overall difference.

A point of contention with H.Bomberguy: the new Mario game isn't contrasting Mario with 'reality'. It's drawing some trickier associations between Mario and Grand Theft Auto. The point seems to be that Mario is the Tommy Vercetti of his particular universe - so, when you trade their places, it's both a radical alien intrusion and ultimately a joke that not much has changed. Item blocks are now (revealed to be?) street signs, turtles are taxi-cabs, etc. At a certain level, it's just a palette swap.

And that has the counter-effect of defanging GTA. It's somewhere between a homage and a dis, if you think about it.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jan 28, 2017

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3kyAW0Gy9Y

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

CelticPredator posted:

K here. Had to be kinda quite due to p thin walls.

http://vocaroo.com/i/s0ilLuboR33W

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Called it.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That Sonic and the characters in Star Wars 7 are unthreatening isn't the conclusion; it's one point in the broader ideological critique.

Like, you can establish a contrast with how Rogue One (the better-made film with, not coincidentally, more progressive themes) received a lot of nerd criticism because the (sex-having, adult) characters were deemed 'dour' and 'unlikeable', the whole film dismissed as 'grimdark' - despite there being not much of an overall difference.

A point of contention with H.Bomberguy: the new Mario game isn't contrasting Mario with 'reality'. It's drawing some trickier associations between Mario and Grand Theft Auto. The point seems to be that Mario is the Tommy Vercetti of his particular universe - so, when you trade their places, it's both a radical alien intrusion and ultimately a joke that not much has changed. Item blocks are now (revealed to be?) street signs, turtles are taxi-cabs, etc. At a certain level, it's just a palette swap.

And that has the counter-effect of defanging GTA. It's somewhere between a homage and a dis, if you think about it.

if you think about it, i hate you

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

gently caress Whitey posted:

if you think about it, i hate you

Then I have good news.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

K. Waste posted:

Called it.

we really should have figured this out sooner, imho

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

lmao

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

we really should have figured this out sooner, imho

Wait, if we locate the long lost heir of Czar Nicholas II can we depose Putin?

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Banning Iranians is just weird, they haven't done anything terroristy directly to the Americans in a whileeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Now Iran is banning America. Where are you going to get your Fesenjoon and Kabob now?!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Death By The Blues posted:

Banning Iranians is just weird, they haven't done anything terroristy directly to the Americans in a whileeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Now Iran is banning America. Where are you going to get your Fesenjoon and Kabob now?!

Our country is being run by a mad man, there's no loving logic to anything. His nominee for Secretary of Education thinks we need guns in schools to protect children from bears.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bears, I knew it was them! Even when it was the immigrants, I knew it was them.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Skwirl posted:

Our country is being run by a mad man, there's no loving logic to anything. His nominee for Secretary of Education thinks we need guns in schools to protect children from bears.

I mean I know she said that but I don't think she actually thinks that.

You can't take these people at their word.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

FishBulb posted:

Betsy Devos is so dumb she can't even take herself at her word.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
cant stop watching the shia livestream

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FishBulb posted:

You're right, I should have written "His nominee for Secretary of Education says we need guns in schools to protect children from bears." The fact that she thought that was an acceptable answer to loving congress even if she knows it's ridiculous highlights the god damned insanity of the entire situation.

Ben Carson is going to be the head of Housing and Urban Development, I guess because he's a neurosurgeon and HUD kinda looks likes HEAD.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know it has to be loving Bannon who's picking all of these people, not Trump. I sincerely doubt Trump has any idea who these people even are or what they're being put in charge of. The appointments are basically a perfect storm of agency opponents and idiots.

I am also convinced that Mattis was picked solely off of his nickname.

I think it goes without saying, but the Muslim ban is wholly unconscionable. It blows my mind that it can just be done through an executive action. I have a feeling it won't be held up in court, but I can't be sure of anything like that right now. The government is completely hosed and Republicans infest every level like parasites. There is every possibility some rear end in a top hat judge somewhere would uphold it and it takes a lot of time to make it to the Supreme Court. Meanwhile, there have already been repercussions. There are already people that have been trapped overseas or even sent back to their home countries only to be detained.

I just... I just can't understand what the gently caress's happening anymore. :negative:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 28, 2017

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I still don't know what the gently caress Toni Erdmann is about but I really want to see it.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hat Thoughts posted:

cant stop watching the shia livestream

The trump people getting close to camera are the worst because they always try to be funny & then a liberal person will argue with them which is just motivation for them to double down on the "humor" & it causes me personal discomfort.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Death By The Blues posted:

From memory, the current ban would have prevented 0 of the 9/11 hijackers and neither of the San Bern shooters from entering the US. That's not the point, yet, but if they do get the balls to expand and include Saudi, I hope you like standing in line for gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
this is an old reddit link from the chapo thread in cspam:

guy does an ama for his WWII vet grandpa (but grandpa was in the waffen-ss (reddit just about tramples each other thanking him for his service and anyone going WAIT NO HE WAS LITERALLy A NAZI gets downvoted to hell))

• Locked thread