Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Burkion posted:

Next you'll say the Mayor ISN'T everyone's best loving friend.
The Mayor is a homewrecker who has destroyed Dave and John's best brohood.

How can Dave be John's best bro anymore if the Mayor is his best bro hm???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so what's the point of it, plot-wise?

At a guess I'd say to act as a consistent reminder of Caliborn's effect on the reality of the game and how it's slowly destroying itself. It seems pretty important that the universe seems to be breaking up with John being the only one who seems able to fix it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fister Roboto posted:

OK, so what's the point of it, plot-wise?

The answer is the same as with just about everything else: if we're lucky, we'll know sometime within the next six months.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It generally shows that a scene is ending, or that something isn't available yet (in the scene selection screens) It also shows more game-like elements in the story. It's foreshadowing of another Caliborn intermission too.

In this case it also served as mild censoring to the violence going on during Terezi's beating, so it could still be shown on screen but without being too brutal. Because if it was offscreen you would be flipping your poo poo too.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I think it's also just pretty neat artistically how he's blending images of scenes that are happening concurrently. It's a pretty interesting way to show how chaotic everything is at that moment while showing little glimpses of the next/previous panel.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Popo posted:

At a guess I'd say to act as a consistent reminder of Caliborn's effect on the reality of the game and how it's slowly destroying itself. It seems pretty important that the universe seems to be breaking up with John being the only one who seems able to fix it.

Gonna go with this. Glitches indicate the deteriorating effects of Caliborn's "authorship".

The main thrust of Homestuck at this point is a war for narrative control and thus, self determination.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 17, 2013

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I thought the stardust didn't break apart the universe, just obscure it.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's also being used for dramatic effect, not just comedic. I thought it was quite effective during Gamzee's beatdown of Terezi - by partially obscuring what's happening, the imagination gets to work filling in the details.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I liked the close-up of Karkat's face where it kept glitching to Terezi falling off the edge and to Gamzee's crazyface. Thought that was a good effect. :shrug:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

JT Jag posted:

The Mayor is a homewrecker who has destroyed Dave and John's best brohood.

How can Dave be John's best bro anymore if the Mayor is his best bro hm???

Bronage à trois.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well it's irritating and pointless if you ask me so I hope it ends soon.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Looks like it is ending soon! Hussie just announced that there will be no more updates until he's finished the comic and will post the rest in one go.

quote:

Gigapause: Commence.

I've been thinking this over for the last few weeks, and I've decided now is the best time to suspend all regular updates until I've finished the story, rather than pausing just before I start on the final animation. When I'm done, I'll post it all at once. There are a lot of reasons why I think this is the best strategy.

Primarily, it's about efficiency, and being able to work on the remaining (and likely the most difficult parts) of the story without distractions, or the added challenge of having to crank out the next serial update as fast as possible, which means I always have to stay totally linear with the work. This way I can produce the rest of it more comprehensively, prepare animation assets in advance, do more stuff in parallel, etc. It will go faster. And ultimately, I think it'll read better as one thing, rather than as a sequence tortuously spread out over time, as has been the norm for years. I think it's close enough to the end now to safely retire Homestuck as a serial reading experience. There's nothing to be gained from that presentation anymore, in my view. It's just time to bear down and get it done.

I guess we're breaking for a long time on a big cliffhanger, but there's no way around that. Actually, pausing at any point later would probably be even worse, as it keeps pushing into endgame territory. That's why I'm stopping now instead of later. With such a big readership, the reactions will only get crazier, and the demand for new updates will get more intense. Over time, knowing so many people are slamming refresh many times per day starts to be more of an omnipresent distraction than anything. I think there is sort of a perception that I am creatively feeding off the hysteria surrounding the comic, but on a very practical level this is not true. Creating entertainment is not really a lifestyle of madcap shenanigans. It is a very sober, often dull process that requires a huge amount of time and concentration. It will be better to disarm the hype machine while I get the hard stuff done.

So what is the itinerary? Need to finish A663 through A666, and then A7. Keep in mind that these sub acts can be literally any length, even one page. There's a good bit of ground to cover, but most of the effort will be tied up in animation chores.

I don't really have a time estimate here, and am not sure there's any real advantage in coming up with one. It'll just be a while. I also have to allocate some time to work on the Kickstarter game. That didn't stop being a thing I have to do. It's coming along. I'll probably have a more substantive update on that before the end of the year. There hasn't been much to report yet since it's mostly been in a high level planning and writing phase. And firming up tons of legal minutiae. Stuff like that.

But I will say there is something new to watch out for next month. Kind of a secret project I'm involved with, unrelated to MSPA or the KS game. Well, it's technically not that secret. It's only secret if you don't know about it yet. Meditate on those profound words, and keep an eye out for news on this in coming weeks.

Oh yeah. Almost forgot, I'll have to take some time to port the site to a new server. Obviously it hasn't been cutting it the last couple months. So we'll work on that soon. Hopefully the new service will be able to handle the massive heart attack the next batch up updates will represent.

During the gigapause, there should still be plenty to see here in the news section. Whether it's about the aforementioned projects, or new product releases, there'll be a lot going on. Trust me, the coolest stuff at What Pumpkin this season has yet to be released.

KaosMachina
Oct 9, 2012

There's nothing special about me.
So Hussie's not content with just crashing one site or another, he's gonna try and crash the entire internet.
Good.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ah, the siren call of namco dating claims another soul.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Well, might as well close the thread again. poo poo is gonna get weird otherwise.

How long until tumblr reaches peak Homestuck withdrawal, I wonder?

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I'm glad Hussie's doing it like this. MSPA hasn't been effective in the serial format for months.

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Tollymain posted:

Well, might as well close the thread again. poo poo is gonna get weird otherwise.

How long until tumblr reaches peak Homestuck withdrawal, I wonder?

About three weeks ago, at a guess.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I guess this is for the best. Hopefully it won't be, like, a year's pause or something though.

Anyway, i assume we should all be getting our Pesterchums installed and drawing up our fantrolls. Should i post my shipping grid yet?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I... I survived the Great Pre-Cascade Drought of 2011, I can survive this too dammit!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Won't mind if it's a year's pause. The ending is the part I WANT to see and it really sounds like this is the best way to do it, though I suspect that he's going to end up posting some parts in chunks instead of all at once.

Truly this is the end of an era.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I'm glad this is happening.

I imagine once the ending lands this thread will die in a blaze of glory: simultaneous Vriskachat, Serketchat, Gamzeechat, with everyone having read only so far in the story that all opinions are invalidated and revalidated every few pages.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The Huss posted:

So what is the itinerary? Need to finish A663 through A666, and then A7.
Typo, or Freudian slip confirming that Hussie is The Beast?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Yeah, considering how much more enjoyable HS is when read all at once than serially, I can't see this as a bad move. But man, am I gonna miss having updates.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
I'm gonna miss this thread.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
This is going to be amazing, purely for the response from friends.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Cat Mattress posted:

Typo, or Freudian slip confirming that Hussie is The Beast?

Neither I guess?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

He might as well just release the last update in a torrent file. There's no way any server can handle that amount of load it's going to get when he releases that upon the wild. He's going to need the computing power usually reserved for Google or the NSA to handle the amount of traffic he's going to get that day.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
this blows for me personally. I always take a while to read new updates but people seem to breeze through them in like five seconds.

when this drops I won't be able to go on the internet for like a month or else I'ma get spoils.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

This sounds like a very good idea. These past couple week of updates have not been starting to dip a bit in quality and hopefully Hussie focusing on the next ones and the ending more can bring forth stronger material.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Chexoid posted:

this blows for me personally. I always take a while to read new updates but people seem to breeze through them in like five seconds.

when this drops I won't be able to go on the internet for like a month or else I'ma get spoils.

It'll probably completely tank his server for that month anyway, so really it's more like two months.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010
I think it would be better to release each sub-act or act-act-act in big chunks as they're completed, rather than the whole rest of the comic in one giant chunk.

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Well drat, literally the day after I download the MSPA notifier, this happens. Guess it's time for the long pause.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Good. I'm looking forward to this finally getting wrapped up.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
I wonder if he'll reach his self-imposed 2013 deadline for the finish

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/gigapause if anyone wants to monitor tumblr's meltdown, this is the tag to do it.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I remember we made fun of Buckley's allatonce.png.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Zebia posted:

Well drat, literally the day after I download the MSPA notifier, this happens. Guess it's time for the long pause.

3 years from now, Zebia's computer starts honking at him, and he beings to wonder why.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Now that I'm closing the MSPA tab in my browser, I'll have to make a new category in my RSS feed just for MSPA updates. I can think of no other proper way to ensure that I'll know when the update hits. Any suggestions?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The Day The Internet Died is a good sub category I think.

So is this adios thread, or shall we begin our rabid fanfictions of the human cast as military personnel while the Trolls are sentient jets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe
I feel really... despondent about this. Good night Homestuck, good night Hussie, good night thread. May we meet again at the end.