Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maenad
Nov 16, 2021

Dionysio
It's a shame that StS on an ultra-wide monitor forces itself to use 21:9 (or 32:9, on SUW). I don't mind the 'zoomed in' perspective too much, and it's still gorgeous to look at; but precisely because the art style in StS is so endearing, it feels a shame to play it cropped at Vert-; I don't want to miss out on any of that beautiful art.

(And no, MT didn't get me back hooked on StS, what are you talking about? ; ; )

The saddest feeling in a game like this is when you build for a perfect combo, but the boss dies before you can see the full amount of damage played out. I want my 900+ points of damage, God drat it.

SettingSun posted:

I have played the lion's share of StS on iOS and yeah the worst thing I can say about it is hand management is a pain. (At the start of every round some random card pops out of hand to obscure everything and it's never the one I want)

Has any mobile card game solved the issues around UI? Once upon a time I tried Hearthstone on my phone, and more recently played various implementations of Riichi Majhong (the poker-esque game, not tile matching solitaire), but none of them really had a good solution for managing cards on a relatively small screen with touch controls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
Card Quest always felt fine, but that's because it makes your hand huge compared to the rest of the screen. Seeing as the gfx are very basic, you don't feel like you're missing much.
Great game, wish someone would steal the idea and make a new version, seeing as the devs have moved onto different stuff.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
iPad StS doesn’t have great trackpad support and it’s very frustrating. JUST LET ME SCROLL THE MAP GODDAMN IT

Funktor
May 17, 2009

Burnin' down the disco floor...
Fear the wrath of the mighty FUNKTOR!
Siralim Ultimate is out of EA today, and as of an hour in it's good!

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Rappaport posted:

Sometimes FTL crew AI makes for gruesome scenes. These geniuses decided to fix the medbay instead of anything else, so they were stuck there suffocating for a minute or three while I set them on fire over and over again. The medbay was enough to keep their health level while suffocating, so they only took damage when the beam hit, and of course the fires died immediately due to no air. Poor bastards.

Ship look like oenis lol.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

packetmantis posted:

Are you having a stroke? That's the torus ship, who's defining feature is being a ring with a hole in the middle, so just about the opposite of a dick, and a rebel ship with about the most generic sci-fi space ship design ever.

Not that FTL doesn't have a penis ship, but it's the Federation Cruiser and nowhere in that picture.

Now that's more like it. It even has a long-charging huge gently caress-off Artillery Beam that fires out of the front

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

packetmantis posted:

If you oenis looks like that you need to see a doctor.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fights in Tight Spaces is really awesome. But I went through the whole campaign a bit to swimmingly. I played on classic plus and used the agressive deck and kept chosing stuff with which I could push enemies around. That was my second run and apparently it lasted 8 hours.
Well at least I got a whole bunch of (at this time) ultra rare achievements from it. I even managed to save all those ambassadors.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 4, 2021

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

This one is the oenis, come on people. <:mad:>

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

My first unreal world guy died in 2 hits to a lynx on a moonless night. The noise it was making woke me up, and the game wouldn't let me go back to sleep because I was already well rested. So I decided to stumble out of my cottage to go do some braindead chores in the pitch black, and got swiped in the back.

In my new game I have discovered that none of the villagers seem to care if you use their bunkhouse to smoke all your meat, and they'll even keep the fire going for you.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

packetmantis posted:

wtf is up with your oenis

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

burning sensation

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Pladdicus posted:

wtf is up with your oenis

It's just tastefully accentuated by space lingerie dude, c'mon

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

packetmantis posted:

F for your hosed up oenis, duder!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Tormented posted:

F for your hosed up oenis, duder!

Keybind F for oenis

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Y'all don't have oenis clamps? :ohdear:

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

q

> What would you like to drink?

d

> d - oenis. Is this correct?

yyyyy

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Looks like we are apparently about a week out from the next Jupiter Hell update the bolsters builds/traits and mouse support at the least.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Voidigo is on the last humble bundle choice. Some first impressions

The style is pretty crazy. Everything is colorful and somewhat weird, although you already can see that with any video. This extends to the game elements: one of the first weapons I gained is some kind of bundle of rats that fire (homing) rats, and one of the first powerups was called bright idea with a bulb icon… which is literally a allied bulb called ‘Bright Idea’ who zaps enemies who get close.
The game also has some humor in the text descriptions. Like a powerup that increase your rof, instead of a weapon upgrade, it’s a ghost that accompanies you and the game explain that scares you, increasing your heart rate and adrenaline…

I guess if you read that and thought ‘that sounds fun!’ you may well like the game, and if you thought ‘that sounds dumb. This game is dumb’ you surely will hate it.

How weird is the art style in the game is interesting. It’s weird, alien and otherwordly…but not in an offputting way. The animations of some things made me thing ‘this is cute!’. Or other things are like… fluffy, or shiny, you know?

The main gimmick of the game is how it tries to make more dynamic boss fights. Instead of having normal levels, and a boss fight at the end, the boss appear on the middle of your run, and you have to complete the ‘intermediate’ goals (hitting some void energy totem thingie, usually one per stage) to unlock part of the hp bar of the boss. You can do one, fight some with the boss, run away, then search the next one and repeat, or you can try to ignore the boss, do three thingmagingies in a row and then kill the boss from start to finish.
To understand it, I also have to explain every world is composed of six connected mini stages, and you can come and go from one to another freely, and the boss also can do it (although at least at first, it seems he is slow to do it, so you have room to breath). The boss also can destroy the scenario (the walls) changing the geometry of the level on the go.

The combat feel is somewhat simplistic, but still effective. There are tons of feedback when you hit or kill something. Very Nuclear Throne.
Another thing to comment is the other side of the ‘colorful graphics’. And it’s that things can get to be a clusterfuck of chaos and color and moving things once the combat intensity increases, making harder to notice things. They actually try to compensate for it, the sprites has noticeable silhouettes, there are ground markers for any aoe attack, etc

The game is pretty drat accessible, with seven different difficulties (the 4th one is the default ‘rogue’ one).

There is of course metaprogression, but I still have barely advanced in the game to form an opinion of it.

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

Razakai posted:

Card Quest always felt fine, but that's because it makes your hand huge compared to the rest of the screen. Seeing as the gfx are very basic, you don't feel like you're missing much.
Great game, wish someone would steal the idea and make a new version, seeing as the devs have moved onto different stuff.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/493080/view/5262989303550253673

Good news then, as the devs have announced that they are releasing a remastered version of Card Quest. This says late 2021, but they have had to push it back to 2022 because of the survival game. Still has the same goals: art overhaul, new game mode, mods and rebalancing. Also making the training a little more forgiving. I know I had to look up solutions the first time I went through it. On the other hand, I started a fresh save file recently, and breezed through the training. I think I only had to restart once or twice for each character.

I hope the example of the new art they have in the news is work in progress, though. The current Card Quest art may be only a notch or two above programmer art, but its very clear what is intended and has a certain charm to it. The example is very muddy. Might just be that the revenants are backlit on a black background, though.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I’ve played voidigo for a total of three hours and I’m convinced it’s better than nuclear throne, it’s really really good

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
The updates on Voidigo are sporadic, but generally pretty well loaded up---should really be a stand out game once it gets full going.

In terms of other hybrids aiming high for EA:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1823390/Escape_The_Mad_Empire/

Based on their Roadmap approach, it would seem they are trying to be one of those uncommon EA titles that launches Loaded Up to such a degree that getting in early isn't really taking such a giant leap on faith for eventual v1.0 completion so much as just starting to mess around sooner in the timeline as things sprawl out on onward inexorably well beyond.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

ExiledTinkerer posted:

In terms of other hybrids aiming high for EA:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1823390/Escape_The_Mad_Empire/

Based on their Roadmap approach, it would seem they are trying to be one of those uncommon EA titles that launches Loaded Up to such a degree that getting in early isn't really taking such a giant leap on faith for eventual v1.0 completion so much as just starting to mess around sooner in the timeline as things sprawl out on onward inexorably well beyond.

This looks cool. I have a feeling it plays very differently but the videos and screenshots keep making me think of Dungeon of the Endless for some reason

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

resistentialism posted:

My first unreal world guy died in 2 hits to a lynx on a moonless night. The noise it was making woke me up, and the game wouldn't let me go back to sleep because I was already well rested. So I decided to stumble out of my cottage to go do some braindead chores in the pitch black, and got swiped in the back.

In my new game I have discovered that none of the villagers seem to care if you use their bunkhouse to smoke all your meat, and they'll even keep the fire going for you.

Yeah, it's a pretty good racket if you're able to stick around close to a village and smoke your meat there! :D That being said you only need the fire lit at the start; after that it can burn out without consequence, if you're smoking in your own hut.
Also, sorry to hear about your death to a lynx - was that in a cabin you built, or stole? Sucks either way, but hopefully you didn't just finish sinking hours into building it! Thankfully I haven't had a death like that. One of my characters has been stabbed in the groin by a crippled child (who was swearing like a sailor at the time) but that's as embarrassing as it gets, for my record

Also I think your avatar has the uh... unique 'oenis' that packetmantis was initially appeared to be referring to, btw. So I guess it's possible in some capacity after all, HenryEx? :v:

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
:oenis:

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

Also, sorry to hear about your death to a lynx - was that in a cabin you built, or stole? Sucks either way, but hopefully you didn't just finish sinking hours into building it! Thankfully I haven't had a death like that. One of my characters has been stabbed in the groin by a crippled child (who was swearing like a sailor at the time) but that's as embarrassing as it gets, for my record

My second guy died in two hits to a wolf with one of my javelins sticking out of its face. It ran and I tried to track it through a forest in broad daylight but it got a blindside attack on me when I walked around a tree. Also two minutes from self-built cabin.

And I think you have to make at least an hour long fire every day now to get meat to smoke. That might be a recent change.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Kramering into the thread to proclaim Red Tether is in open beta. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1714080/RedTether/

It's a asteroidslike roguelike, in the vein of the same developer's Hyperspace Dogfights, only your only weapons are some industrial tethers and yourself. I haven't gotten very far in yet, and be warned that controller support is still buggy and awkward, but I wanted to boost this, given that I really like Hyperspace Dogfights.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Major Isoor posted:

Also I think your avatar has the uh... unique 'oenis' that packetmantis was initially appeared to be referring to, btw. So I guess it's possible in some capacity after all, HenryEx? :v:

I stand corrected

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamedev/comments/rc43hh/mostlysolo_firsttime_indie_postmortem_8k_sales/

I thought this was somewat interesting, the Pawnbarian author goes into some detailed stats about an indie roguelike on Steam.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
One final update on The Last Stand: Aftermath - I've beaten the game and am now in a postgame that's a neat variant on the main run. I have to admit that I wasn't expecting the game's "earlier survivors clear the way for later ones" philosophy where you only have to clear in-biome "detour" maps and end-of-biome challenges once to persist all the way to the end boss, but it makes sense. The postgame is more of an epilogue with a Pact of Punishment-style challenge setup and five heat levels to clear that unlock some pretty crazy military equipment to punch through the last biome with.

And, y'know, fill out the supply and knowledge tree if you didn't repeatedly eat poo poo in the early game like me, though here's a tip - once you unlock the improvised flamethrower and a starting armory loadout that gives you the parts to build one (scrap, gears, and an oil filter) you've pretty much got an anti-armor tool you can use all game long, as long as you pour alcohol into plastic bottles over a campfire to keep its ammo up.

I appreciate that this game decided it wanted to have an ending and picked a scenario that made sense to lean heavily into metaprogression towards it, because it makes the progression feel useful and powerful rather than a fifteen-run tax before you can get a clear.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Voidigo is sweet! Really my only gripe is that it does the Isaac thing where sometimes you have to recognize items just by their sprite and make decisions based on that info. There's already a way to view your power ups and item descriptions (which are sometimes vague but I'm ok with that as an intentional decision), make it also extend to items on the ground nearby you.

The weapon variety is awesome too and reminds me a little of Gungeon. My favorite so far is the melee weapon that's a giant TV where a ghost girl like the one from the ring hangs out of the front and claws at your enemies.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I've been playing the android version of Pathos a bunch recently and finally have a pretty solid start going, but I think I do not understand teleportation.

I have a ring of teleportation and a ring of teleport control, and usually that lets me activate teleport then tap a spot on the map to zap over there. Sometimes, however, it just fizzles instead. Do some areas just disable teleportation? I'm not starving or overloaded or anything. My previous thought was that you might need to be theoretically able to establish line of sight to your destination or something, but I just teleported into a room that was completely isolated from the rest of the floor thanks to magic mapping and it contained an entrance to Fort Ludios - but I can't get out of the starting room in the fort even though the map shows me tons of open space I should be able to land in, all my attempts just fizzle.

The last place I had this problem was trying to bypass a long row of holes on the second floor of sokoban. I figured I'd just come back to that one once I find something that will let me levitate, but it happening again with the fort here is making me feel like I must be missing something.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Irony.or.Death posted:

StS reminder for people who feel like it's too harsh on gimmicks: you can play custom runs or the daily climb when you just want to mindlessly gently caress around. Turning on even a single one of the rules like "replace your starting deck with one of each rare" will completely change the experience into a much goofier one.

My go-to StS custom game is A20 daily with act 4 enabled. The mix of chaos and challenge is enough to keep my interest over yet another A20 ironclad start, or the easy normal daily that's almost impossible to lose.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Irony.or.Death posted:

I've been playing the android version of Pathos a bunch recently and finally have a pretty solid start going, but I think I do not understand teleportation.

I have a ring of teleportation and a ring of teleport control, and usually that lets me activate teleport then tap a spot on the map to zap over there. Sometimes, however, it just fizzles instead. Do some areas just disable teleportation? I'm not starving or overloaded or anything. My previous thought was that you might need to be theoretically able to establish line of sight to your destination or something, but I just teleported into a room that was completely isolated from the rest of the floor thanks to magic mapping and it contained an entrance to Fort Ludios - but I can't get out of the starting room in the fort even though the map shows me tons of open space I should be able to land in, all my attempts just fizzle.

The last place I had this problem was trying to bypass a long row of holes on the second floor of sokoban. I figured I'd just come back to that one once I find something that will let me levitate, but it happening again with the fort here is making me feel like I must be missing something.

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but Pathos is basically a mobile version of Nethack so most of the same spoilers should apply. Both Sokoban and Fort Ludios are non-teleport levels, there’s an easily accessible list on the wiki if you want to see more: https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Non-teleport_level

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I tried out Dead Estate since it kept popping up on my steam queue and had overwhelmingly positive reviews and...I don't feel like I get it. It has some nice pixel art and stuff but the gameplay felt really simple in an unsatisfying way. I only got a couple runs in (didn't make it too far, mostly just to or near the boss of the second floor) and refunded it since Endwalker has been eating all my time.

Has anyone else checked it out, does it get better? Nothing about it seemed particularly unique or interesting but the amount of praise it got has me wondering if I'm missing something.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I tried out Dead Estate since it kept popping up on my steam queue and had overwhelmingly positive reviews and...I don't feel like I get it. It has some nice pixel art and stuff but the gameplay felt really simple in an unsatisfying way. I only got a couple runs in (didn't make it too far, mostly just to or near the boss of the second floor) and refunded it since Endwalker has been eating all my time.

Has anyone else checked it out, does it get better? Nothing about it seemed particularly unique or interesting but the amount of praise it got has me wondering if I'm missing something.

Nah I'm in the same boat. I like the art style but the perspective is detrimental to a game that wants you to kite/dodge like it's Binding of Isaac. I did a few runs with both of the starting characters and one run with the melee only character and determined I was never going to be interested in playing it again, so I refunded.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I skimmed some reviews of that game to see what’s good about it because it had a very positive steam rating, and maybe 4 out of 5 of them mentioned witch boobs with no details about the game, which was not a good sign

it sucks when artwork is technically well-made and high quality except you can tell the artist definitely also draws porn because they can’t resist being horny on main.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Arivia posted:

I’m not sure if you’re aware, but Pathos is basically a mobile version of Nethack so most of the same spoilers should apply. Both Sokoban and Fort Ludios are non-teleport levels, there’s an easily accessible list on the wiki if you want to see more: https://nethackwiki.com/wiki/Non-teleport_level

I knew it had some relation to Nethack but have never played Nethack; that was exactly what I needed to hear though. Thank you. Time to go hunting for something that will let me dig through the walls to get to the rest of the fort, I guess. Or I could try searching for hidden doors like a sensible person but that feels like work for a not-wizard.

I really need someone to make android IVAN.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah, same.
It's a good little game, nice artstyle, but I didn't find myself wanting to play it past the initial hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

You know, I've been playing a lot of Finnish games lately.