Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Seems kind of on-going to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dakota_Access_Pipeline_protests
https://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/09/05/not-genocide-pipeline-co-bulldozing-burial-sites-prompts-emergency-motion

Which has not escaped the attention of the Chinese either lol

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1199196.shtml

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StashAugustine posted:

I just want to say, I think Its good we're having a good faith discussion of this topic but to return to the original point I think it's bullshit that people got banned for it

also until every admin and mod has posted in fyad’s “post here if you’re not a pedophile” thread I feel like Larry et al should be freed

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

yellow peril 2, this time its woke

the better part of it is when you are in some minority and call bullshit on their rear end they (loving turboasshole liberals) go full mask down

last year in january our org had participated in some public policy event and this ngo corporate-public solutions type guy afterwards told our transwoman comrade that "she couldn't really be trans because she was a communist, as such she was denying her ideological validity"

guy walked out with one hell of a slap to the face

THS
Sep 15, 2017

thotsky posted:

what about how the US treats native americans right now

its f*cking bad you god drat moron

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Lol the U.S. has till present day said sike and kicked/revoked tribes rights to their lands when it suited local interest.

Homeless Friend fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 13, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
You do have to admit, there aren't a lot of chances to abuse the native nations. Can't imagine why that is.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
since it's coming up in this thread i'm going to repost some writeups about xinjiang and china's treatment of minorities a friend of mine did that i posted dozens of pages ago:

i'm going to quote someone i know because i like how he put it

quote:

it's one of those things where there's a coherent argument that the definition of genocide should include what's going on, but if you actually applied it evenly you would find that the uk did several hundred genocides and we are doing like three or four right now. what's going on in western china is bad, but mostly for more mundane reasons of cultural chauvinism, the everyday shittiness of hostile police forces, and various forms of coercing people into participating in the national wage labor market. the government is way more liberal than the public on minority issues in china, and the public in turn are somewhat more accepting of minority cultures having a place in the country than in several neighboring countries. in fact the problem is precisely that they're listening too much to the liberal stuff because they're abandoning the soviet nationalities model and want to build a western melting pot, and are trying to take the most simple liberal criticisms of how the west actually did that and apply it in naïve fashion: for example they don't want to be seen as repressing islam in general, so they try to identify a good and bad islam, and come up with various theological doctrines and ritual practices associated with each, and layer in judgments about national and separatist identity, which may or may not be defensible in theory, but then when time comes to apply in practice, it means cops and spies caring a lot about whether your mosque conducts services in arabic or some central asian language other than uighur, and getting mad if they can't quickly figure out who someone is quoting or referencing, and a dozen other situations where the details of religious life are not readily legible to the police bureaucracy, generating suspicion and hostility that they're free to take as probable cause or whatever their analogue is. like, they're basically trying to be more woke than us about it, while also doing a hell of a lot more of it and more comprehensively transformative and in everyone's face than we would (whereas the instinct of liberal interventionists when confronted with messy effects from disruptive policies is to minimize things, fiddle with edge cases, target more narrowly), and that generates extreme contradictions

quote:

do we know that maoist and/or bolivarian communes aren’t happening? yes

the situation in inner mongolia is simply that they’re telling the schools where the instruction had been primarily in mongolian language and script to switch to primarily chinese language instruction with mongolian language as a standalone subject. [other poster] is correct in noting that it would still be easy for kids who wanted to retain mongolian language in daily home and community use to do so, provided they have some motivation outside of it being the primary language of instruction. it’s also true that this level of language practice in schools would be a substantial improvement over what other people facing declining languages have available, such as most minority languages in europe, or the non-mandarin chinese dialects. it’s also true what the locals are concerned about, that this is clearly a part of the national policy of reducing the standing of minority language and practice in a top-down fashion. unlike with the tibetans or uighurs, there isn’t even a plausible negative outcome that is being avoided: ethnic mongols are well-integrated in areas where they live with han chinese, and the pockets of people who don’t speak chinese and don’t want to keep well enough to themselves. the choice between primarily mongolian language schools and primarily chinese language schools was already available in most parts of inner mongolia, and people were in the process of increasingly choosing chinese language schools for basically career opportunities. closing off the choice seems to be a pointlessly insulting move, particularly to the teachers who aren’t masters of chinese language use to the extent they are fluent in mongolian, who are facing job losses because the government doesn’t think their language is important. it’s very understandable that they and their allies in the diaspora are very unhappy about it

i don’t like it because i don’t want to be part of an oppressor people but also i think by most objective standards the mongol language and culture is still hugely better respected than, like, irish gaelic in ni. and it’s true that the market economy would have driven the same trends it has everywhere in terms of language use shifting to those dominant in large commercial areas. it’s just you would hope for communism to do positive things about that instead of saying that changing to be more efficient producers is social progress

i think it's important to be clear that there are very obviously not mass executions or sterilizations going on (iirc the uyghur population is still growing at a faster rate than the han population in the region) and that the compulsory trade schools where you have to say the pledge of allegiance every day or whatever let you go home on weekends are just an explicit, accelerated, and on-purpose version of the general economic pressure exerted on the countryside by the cities that compels people to learn the lingua franca and shift from subsistence agriculture and handicrafts to wage labor because it's the surest way to survive. proletarianization is going to sand the edges off your culture and cram what's left into a tiny box, but, guess what? no one gets to avoid being proletarianized as much as it would be nice if it were otherwise

if you're a cagey, cynical skeptic who isn't sure they trust either country's media, which is perfectly reasonable, just ask yourself what the base material incentives of each side here is. follow the money. the US's incentive is to have access to chinese goods, including chinese labor-power. china's incentive is to increase its ability to manufacture cheap goods, and to profit both literally and figuratively off of that manufacture rather than seeing the profits get siphoned off by foreign capital. that means that the us wants to quash certain kinds of chinese development and the chinese want to funnel people into the industrial labor marker. no one actually benefits from there being a genocide, whether US or china. no one even benefits from slave labor! slave labor is markedly less efficient than wage labor!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

i checked the gbs china thread once and pretty much the entire thread is spinning mundane and inoffensive news into a conspiracy by winnie the pooh to block patriotic rabbit's freedom hole

Sea_Caldwell
Feb 5, 2021

Genocide... is pretty bad!

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS

Homeless Friend posted:

Lol the U.S. has till present day said sike and kicked/revoked tribes rights to their lands when it suited local interest.

rbg's last act was getting together with her bros to do some racism against the oneida

THS
Sep 15, 2017

comedyblissoption posted:

https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020/10/06/unfavorable-views-of-china-reach-historic-highs-in-many-countries/

lmao npr, the nyt, wapo, et al are blasting out sinophobic garbage constantly and i literally see it in real time and it's filtering out into the mod buttons where they don't probe or ban people for supporting american concentration campers or genociders after these facts are pointed out to them while you will do it for not toeing american orthodoxy

you cant separate hitler from his genocides, in spite of his posthumous fans who try to do so

just admit the double standard means you are unpaid enforcers of state dept lines

drat those graphs look like the natural result in people learning the truth about china, and not at all like people having their gullets forced open and funneled the very open and obvious anti-china propaganda we have all seen over recent time

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

CYBEReris posted:

i checked the gbs china thread once and pretty much the entire thread is spinning mundane and inoffensive news into a conspiracy by winnie the pooh to block patriotic rabbit's freedom hole

thanks to the development of US liberalism following the civil rights movement, the US public basically does BDSM but for being racist where they spend years having to pretend to consider everyone equally human but are finally rewarded with the permission to cut loose on certain populations as domestic or international policy dictates

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

THS posted:

also whataboutism owns, it's entirely valid to rest your argument on hypocrisy in geopolitics especially with regard to what your priorities should be and where you are from, what your interests are, what effect you can have. this isn't loving high school debate club and i don't give a poo poo about the technicality of doing ad homs or whatever. it's nerd poo poo and fake rules

the term was coined/popularized by buckley and should be given about the same amount of respect. less is sadly impossible.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

there's an article in the atlantic tracing the origins of whataboutism and the incident they write about turns out to be the US threatening to nuke russia to free its people from communism and the russian diplomat at the time pointing out that, hey, it's not like we're openly fantasizing about invading you to stop all those lynchings you're doing

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

it's funny how garbage language like that is cyclical. excited delirum was some quack bullshit 'til taser came around and now whataboutism is back cuz we're gearing up for cold war 2.0

when I was in school people would have laughed and pointed at you for being a psycho if you tried to use that phrase. they still sound like psychos and I can't get passed it.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

As someone on these fine forums once put it, only in Amerikkka is it considered a logical fallacy to say lynching is bad

Trash Ops
Jun 19, 2012

im having fun, isnt everyone else?

Flavius Aetass posted:

I don't know what kind of news sources you guys are tapped into. I'm sure NPR etc. are doing the standard thing you claim they're doing, and yes, I also believe that the recent claims of millions of holocausted Uighurs is likely extremely bogus. The thing is, I never hear about it except by way of a few people in C-SPAM going out of their way to deny it, and the original problem we all had with that is how gross it seems for people to be railing against a non-existent propaganda problem on C-SPAM by denying that the Chinese government has been oppressing the poo poo out of Muslims in Xinjiang for several decades. None of the cultural genocide/forced assimilation stuff is new. I wrote papers about it in college and none of the sources were right-wing cultists or whatever you guys are talking about. I think it's extremely hosed up to defend China on this issue because it doesn't fit your definition of genocide or you think it's all made up to justify war.

I agree that we should be focusing on our own backyard considering the similarities, but that's what I've been doing and I literally only hear about this issue from people defending China.

“I wrote papers about in college” gently caress off forever

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

Ferrinus posted:

there's an article in the atlantic tracing the origins of whataboutism and the incident they write about turns out to be the US threatening to nuke russia to free its people from communism and the russian diplomat at the time pointing out that, hey, it's not like we're openly fantasizing about invading you to stop all those lynchings you're doing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/And_you_are_lynching_Negroes

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

McConnell posted:

Genocide... is pretty bad!

But enough about America

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
cspam mods in 1918 would have cheered the espionage act

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

fladrian zenz

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

THS posted:

it's nerd poo poo and fake rules
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DH4v6FnbvM

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i'm not actually watching that video, i just like the image

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Trash Ops posted:

“I wrote papers about in college” gently caress off forever

You'd think that someone who wrote papers in college would be able to cite said articles that prove his point. Lmao

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
i see the word "whataboutism" and immediately skip to the next post

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

Lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

StashAugustine posted:

I just want to say, I think Its good we're having a good faith discussion of this topic but to return to the original point I think it's bullshit that people got banned for it

to be 100% clear: people who aren’t two day or flavius are having a good faith discussion. both of them went full on “as we all know that SOMETHING is happening over there; furthermore,”.

this post is loving disgusting

Flavius Aetass posted:

I don't know what kind of news sources you guys are tapped into. I'm sure NPR etc. are doing the standard thing you claim they're doing, and yes, I also believe that the recent claims of millions of holocausted Uighurs is likely extremely bogus. The thing is, I never hear about it except by way of a few people in C-SPAM going out of their way to deny it, and the original problem we all had with that is how gross it seems for people to be railing against a non-existent propaganda problem on C-SPAM by denying that the Chinese government has been oppressing the poo poo out of Muslims in Xinjiang for several decades. None of the cultural genocide/forced assimilation stuff is new. I wrote papers about it in college and none of the sources were right-wing cultists or whatever you guys are talking about. I think it's extremely hosed up to defend China on this issue because it doesn't fit your definition of genocide or you think it's all made up to justify war.

I agree that we should be focusing on our own backyard considering the similarities, but that's what I've been doing and I literally only hear about this issue from people defending China.

im not impressed by the dude running the victims of communism group, the national endowment for democracy, or any of these vague claims “as we all know because there are so many sources” bellingcat poo poo.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

AnimeIsTrash posted:

You'd think that someone who wrote papers in college would be able to cite said articles that prove his point. Lmao

(CIA World Factbook, 2002)

Prince Myshkin
Jun 17, 2018
Guys, you have to trust me on this. I threw together an 8-page paper with stuff I found on Google and Wikipedia at 4 am the day it was due.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the fact that getting mod powers seems to almost always turn relatively normal posters into weird hyper-obsessives who parrot state department press releases almost makes me agree with the anarchists. almost

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

'whataboutism' is a really lame chant for a death cult, the 'u-s-a' one is way better

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Ever since Biden got elected people in D&D have been playing off ICE run concentration camps that effectively genocide immigrants fleeing the destruction that the US caused in their countries and also defend the genocidal bombings of people in the middle east.

It would seem to me that these people are actively denying genocide and in some cases promoting it. Why is cspam being accused of genocide denial again?

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Serf posted:

the fact that getting mod powers seems to almost always turn relatively normal posters into weird hyper-obsessives who parrot state department press releases almost makes me agree with the anarchists. almost

now that's a step too far

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Ever since Biden got elected people in D&D have been playing off ICE run concentration camps that effectively genocide immigrants fleeing the destruction that the US caused in their countries and also defend the genocidal bombings of people in the middle east.

It would seem to me that these people are actively denying genocide and in some cases promoting it. Why is cspam being accused of genocide denial again?

if america does it, its not a crime and just the pragmatic way forward

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

AnimeIsTrash posted:

because we’re not big babies that run to teacher

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i'm not actually watching that video, i just like the image

He shits on america the whole time it’s great

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

bill maher the china guy
bill bill bill bill
bill maher the china guy
bill bill bill bill
inertia is a property of matter

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

AnimeIsTrash posted:

bill maher the china guy
bill bill bill bill
bill maher the china guy
bill bill bill bill
inertia is a property of matter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Cerebral Bore posted:

all i know about xinjiang is that the claims of genocide are coming from the same people who have blatantly lied to me for the entirety of my politically aware life