Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

The etymology of the word tank is Indian, which surprised me when I was researching that.
Indian and Portugese, which makes sense for the 17th c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
That reminds me I got to dig out some of the weird slang used by the British Army in India one of these days. Trin posted a few examples already.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
ph'nglui mglw'nafh nnn'drn ch'nglui'ahog nnnf'hup wgah'nagl fhtagn.

In their revetments at the motor pool, dead armor piercers waits dreaming...

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

C.M. Kruger posted:

It turned out the fancy anti-missile force field (red spotlights) on the T-90 don't work, so doctrine is back to "don't get shot."

The Sprut was designed with the intent of having as capable a tank as possible that could still be airdropped, it was built on a VDV requirement. It has no armor because it has to be carried by a plane, not because armor doesn't work. It's really quite similar to the Sheridan in concept even if the execution is substantially different.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
No officer can do very wrong who lays his tank destroyer alongside an enemy.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Turns out this entire time I've been mixing up tank destroyers with anti-tank rifles.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Freudian posted:

Turns out this entire time I've been mixing up tank destroyers with anti-tank rifles.

I mean they do the same job in very different ways.

Plus AT rifles are way cuter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

Indian and Portugese, which makes sense for the 17th c

Hmm I might make a vindaloo for dinner, now

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Freudian posted:

Great, now I've got visions of whole platoons of GIs, all carrying Boys AT rifles pilling into halftracks and rushing to intercept an armored push.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I'd really like to see a depiction of a Soviet PTRD battalion. The idea of a hundred or so AT rifles just whittling away at every exposed bit of a tank is just wild.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Fangz posted:

I'd really like to see a depiction of a Soviet PTRD battalion. The idea of a hundred or so AT rifles just whittling away at every exposed bit of a tank is just wild.

That would be fantastic to see even in a game or movie. Just the image alone would rock.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 18th August 1918 posted:

Usual routine of trench life was carried on.
About 4 p.m. a warning order was received that the two front line companies were to be relieved that night and on relief were to be withdrawn into support. Relief was commenced at 9.30 p.m.
'D' Coy was relieved in right front by a Company of the 1st Btn. ESSEX REGT. and "B" Coy on Left Front by a Coy of 1st/1st HERTS (112 Inf. Bde.)
On relief these two Coys. occupied trenches in the support area. A & B Coys remained in their original positions.
Btn. H.Q. moved back to PIGEON WOOD N.E. of GOMMECOURT.
The command of the line was taken over by O.C. 1st/1st HERTS.

That was one whole day that they were in the front line this time. It's almost like there's big things on the verge of happening! (Hurry up and wait.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

feedmegin posted:

Hmm I might make a vindaloo for dinner, now
imagine going halfway around the world and meeting people whose word for "cistern" sounded exactly like yours

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 18, 2018

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

SeanBeansShako posted:

That would be fantastic to see even in a game or movie. Just the image alone would rock.

Company of Heroes 2 sorta let you do this; they were kinda really strong if I remember correctly because they could snipe infantry just fine.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SHELL INTO THE BARREL. IT’S WORLD WAR II AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TAKING THE SHOTS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GAY BLACK HITLER. I DO EVERY SHOT AND I DO EVERY SHOT HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME TANKIE BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY FOUGHT THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS WAR. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TACTICS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY OUTMANEUVERING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

SerthVarnee posted:

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A SHELL INTO THE BARREL. IT’S WORLD WAR II AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START TAKING THE SHOTS ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, GAY BLACK HITLER. I DO EVERY SHOT AND I DO EVERY SHOT HARD. MAKIN WHOOSHING SOUNDS WHEN I SLAM DOWN SOME TANKIE BASTARDS OR EVEN WHEN I MESS UP TECHNIQUE. NOT MANY CAN SAY THEY FOUGHT THE WORLDS MOST DANGEROUS WAR. I CAN. I SAY IT AND I SAY IT OUTLOUD EVERYDAY TO PEOPLE IN MY COLLEGE CLASS AND ALL THEY DO IS PROVE PEOPLE IN COLLEGE CLASS CAN STILL BE IMMATURE JEKRS. AND IVE LEARNED ALL THE TACTICS AND IVE LEARNED HOW TO MAKE MYSELF AND MY APARTMENT LESS LONELY BY OUTMANEUVERING EM ALL. 2 HOURS INCLUDING WIND DOWN EVERY MORNIng

:five:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

SeanBeansShako posted:

I mean they do the same job in very different ways.

Plus AT rifles are way cuter.

If you want a real bazooka there's one for sale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FP5UAfnohU

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/74/1381/us-army-m9a1-bazooka-destructive-device

Getting rockets for it is probably a bitch, though.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Or if you can't decide and HEAT isn't your thing, how about a compromise between the Bazooka and AT rifles : a recoilless rifle that shoots 20mm armor piercing rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQfQPSlSHg

Kafouille fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 18, 2018

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Fangz posted:

The etymology of the word tank is Indian, which surprised me when I was researching that.

Belisarius called them 'Steam Elephants' during the siege of Constantinople so I'm guessing they have more than one word for them

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

The panzer in feldgrau fled across the desert, and the tank destroyer followed.

I do not kill with my 76mm. He who kills with his 76mm has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my tank destroyer.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

love 2 read different latin words for tank

The Russian word for tank is a loanword, but the grammar took a while to set in, so around 1925-ish you see it conjugated in unpredictable and hilarious ways. Language is fun.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kafouille posted:

Or if you can't decide and HEAT isn't your thing, how about a compromise between the Bazooka and AT rifles : a recoilless rifle that shoots 20mm armor piercing rounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHQfQPSlSHg

The backblast on that thing is ridiculous and somewhat dangerous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEuiXEVXhtI

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Every recoilless rifle has dangerous backblast if you stand in the wrong place, but this video is really disingenuous given that they spread wood shavings behind the shooter, gravel doesn't burn. Of course the blast is going to be huge when it's aerosolizing and igniting a bunch of wood dust.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kafouille posted:

Every recoilless rifle has dangerous backblast if you stand in the wrong place,

There are some exceptions, or at least ones that drastically reduce the area of the wrong place.

There’s an AT-4 variant that can be fired in confined spaces, because instead of just venting the propellant directly the propellant acts on a countermass of water, so you just get a spray of water out the back. The Armbrust uses a system where the propellant charge is located between two pistons. The forward piston pushes the projectile out the front, the back piston pushes a countermass of shredded plastic out the back, and both pistons lock into place at the end of their travel so the hot propellant gases are trapped entirely (this also has the advantage of making firing the weapon flashless which makes it harder for the people you’re shooting at to locate you).

Watching Ian get the details of HEAT presentation very wrong in the video is very sad for me.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Kafouille posted:

Every recoilless rifle has dangerous backblast if you stand in the wrong place, but this video is really disingenuous given that they spread wood shavings behind the shooter, gravel doesn't burn. Of course the blast is going to be huge when it's aerosolizing and igniting a bunch of wood dust.

I was wondering how useful it really was to have your position exposed by a huge fireball when you're trying to do AT work

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
Even without 'enhancements' the firing signature is still very visible, especially since basically every other recoilless rifle uses a much larger powder charge than the dinky 20mm here. The flash is plenty noticeable but the real problem is you will kick up every single particle of dust and debris in a wide cone pointing right at your position and probably staying in the air more than long enough for someone to notice. But that was already a problem with traditional anti-tank guns, just pointing forward due to the muzzle blast.

Crews with some time to prepare a position would try to clean out debris, wet down the ground or even put down tarps to suppress dust and try to stay hidden as long as possible. It was one of the main issues with the ever larger caliber of gun needed to be able to threaten late war tanks, something like the 88mm Pak43 had a tremendously large firing signature and that meant your life expectancy took a sharp dive the very moment you opened up, and since the gun was too heavy to push it would tend to often be a one engagement weapon if you didn't win very quickly.

Phanatic posted:

Watching Ian get the details of HEAT presentation very wrong in the video is very sad for me.

What does he get wrong ? I jumped around a bit and found a bit where he omits quite a bit of important stuff, but he does explain the very basics of the Monroe effect, and that is the main idea of HEAT rounds, the liner is after all optional and not exactly universal during WWII, even if omitting it degrades performance pretty badly. It's not exactly in depth but it's reasonable given that it's really outside of the topic of his channel.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What are the key differences between an ancient phalanx and a medieval/early modern pike wall?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Which phalanx do you mean? Macedonian or classical greece?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fangz posted:

Which phalanx do you mean? Macedonian or classical greece?

Either one, I know the Macedonian one used much long spears and had deeper ranks but isn’t the principle that same?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Either one, I know the Macedonian one used much long spears and had deeper ranks but isn’t the principle that same?

a battalion embattled is either a perfect square, seven deep, ten deep, or six deep. Sometimes there are elaborate maneuvers they do, like the things Rabhadh talks about for the Spanish or the thing the Swedish do where they "fold out" from six deep to three deep right before their enemies close with them and the musketeers open fire. everyone is pretty far apart from one another. Nobody "pushes" on anyone else, that's a misrepresentation of how pike combat works. What specifically do you want to know?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the key differences between an ancient phalanx and a medieval/early modern pike wall?

Shields?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I mean I thought my question was kind of clear. What’s the difference between the ancient phalanx and a medieval/early modern pike wall?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The phalanx doesn't have musketeers hiding in it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To generalise, the hoplite was the heavily armoured main battle force, the macedonian phalanx was to hold the enemy in place for the cavalry, the early modern pike was to protect the musketeers.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Kafouille posted:

What does he get wrong ? I jumped around a bit and found a bit where he omits quite a bit of important stuff, but he does explain the very basics of the Monroe effect, and that is the main idea of HEAT rounds, the liner is after all optional and not exactly universal during WWII, even if omitting it degrades performance pretty badly. It's not exactly in depth but it's reasonable given that it's really outside of the topic of his channel.

One thing that he mixed up is stating that HEAT involves a stream of molten metal that burns or melts through the armour. But while the liner does behave kind of like a fluid due to the extreme forces involved, it does stay solid the whole time through. It also doesn't get hot enough for the temperature to have much of an effect on the armour. It's still all concentrated kinetic energy.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Fangz posted:

the early modern pike was to protect the musketeers.
and charge into a breach, and cover a retreat

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Perestroika posted:

One thing that he mixed up is stating that HEAT involves a stream of molten metal that burns or melts through the armour. But while the liner does behave kind of like a fluid due to the extreme forces involved, it does stay solid the whole time through. It also doesn't get hot enough for the temperature to have much of an effect on the armour. It's still all concentrated kinetic energy.

If give anyone a pass on this because every description of HEAT I’ve ever read has said “steam of molten metal.” Let me be clear that this isn’t a passive aggressive “you’re wrong” post. I’m just saying that you taught me a thing and I’ve looked way ducking more into AT weapons than is probably healthy.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The Reagan Library is hosting an exhibit on Genghis Khan, so I decided to stop by earlier today. There's quite a contrast between the two. One was a horrible person who ruined many lives, the other conquered most of Asia (sorry, couldn't resist).

Anyway, I took some pictures: https://imgur.com/a/ujY8OHG Lots of swords if you're into that kind of thing.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Perestroika posted:

Ah yeah I missed that bit, I skipped trough the video. I think the acronym trips a lot of English speakers up, even if only on an unconscious level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Semovente L40 da 47/32

Queue: , Semovente da 75/18, Semovente da 105/25, 7.92 mm wz. 35 anti-tank rifle, 76.2 mm wz. 1902 and 75 mm wz. 1902/26, IM-1 squeezebore cannon, 45 mm M-6 gun, 25-pounder, 25-pounder "Baby", 37 mm Anti-Tank Gun M3, 36 inch Little David mortar, 105 mm howitzer M3, 15 cm sIG 33, 10.5 cm leFH 18, 7.5 cm LG 40, 10.5 cm LG 42, 17 cm K i. Mrs. Laf., 47 mm wz.25 infantry gun, Ferdinand, Tiger (P), Scorpion, SKS, Australian Centurions in Vietnam, PzIII Ausf. E and F, PzIII Ausf. G and H, Trials of the PzIII Ausf. H in the USSR, PzIII Ausf.J-N, Russian Renault, Nashorn/Hornisse, Medium Tank M4A2E8, P.1000 and other work by Grotte, KV-100 and KV-122, Cruiser Tank Mk.I, Cruiser Tank Mk.II, Valentine III and V, Valentine IX, Valentine X and XI, 7TP and Vickers Mk.E trials in the USSR, Modern Polish tank projects, SD-100 (Czech SU-100 clone), TACAM R-2, kpúv vz. 34, kpúv vz. 37, kpúv vz. 38, IS-1 (IS-85), IS-2 (object 240), Production of the IS-2, IS-2 modernization projects, GMC M8, First Soviet assault rifles, Stahlhelm in WWI, Stahlhelm in WWII, SU-76 with big guns, Panther trials in the USSR

Available for request:

:ussr:
Schmeisser's work in the USSR
Object 237 (IS-1 prototype)
SU-85
T-29-5
KV-85
Tank sleds
T-80 (the light tank)
Proposed Soviet heavy tank destroyers
DS-39 tank machinegun
MS-1/T-18