Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

im gaye posted:

George Kennedy's finest hour.

And Clu Gulager's fake donkey teeth are scarier than that mutant cat puppet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Franchescanado posted:

What are some good lesser-known 80's-as-gently caress horror movies I can watch this weekend?

Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) for awesome 80s workout outfits, hair, and music:

This naturally double-features perfectly with Death Spa:

(Killer Workout is a slasher, Death Spa is more supernatural - or "techno-natural" I guess?)

Society is well known but nails down "yuppie" culture of the 80s.

Maybe Sorority House Massacre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v51e1usmCCg

I find that the 80s bleeds through into almost everything made during that period really (the exception being "art" films like Possession).

The aforementioned Night of the Comet is probably the most 80s feeling film I can think of. Maybe Spookies?

InfiniteZero fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Aug 5, 2016

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to sift through what I have yet to see on Shudder, can I get some opinions of a few movies?

I'm fairly certain that these are worth watching, but correct me if I'm wrong: Sante Sangre, Shock(Bava), Torso, The Crazies, Stagefright, Deadly Blessing

These I'm not sure about, but they sound interesting. Let me know if I should give any of these a shot: The Toolbox Murders, Ghosthouse, The Mutilator, Microwave Massacre, The Driller Killer, House on Sorority Row, Slime City, Frightmare, Long Hair of Death.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

InfiniteZero posted:

Killer Workout (aka Aerobicide) for awesome 80s workout outfits, hair, and music:

This naturally double-features perfectly with Death Spa:

(Killer Workout is a slasher, Death Spa is more supernatural - or "techno-natural" I guess?)

Killer Workout owns

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

I'm trying to sift through what I have yet to see on Shudder, can I get some opinions of a few movies?

I'm fairly certain that these are worth watching, but correct me if I'm wrong: Sante Sangre, Shock(Bava), Torso, The Crazies, Stagefright, Deadly Blessing

These I'm not sure about, but they sound interesting. Let me know if I should give any of these a shot: The Toolbox Murders, Ghosthouse, The Mutilator, Microwave Massacre, The Driller Killer, House on Sorority Row, Slime City, Frightmare, Long Hair of Death.

I love Slime City because it's quintessential low-rent NYC garbage. But it's fun and creative garbage.

Driller Killer might be worth it for being notable, similar sleaze.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I have never heard of Long Hair of Death, but I put it on the list because the title is great and it has Barbara Steele so I figure how bad can it be?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

Microwave Massacre is barely a horror movie at all, it's more like a MAD Magazine parody of a horror movie. It feels like they started with the line, "I'm so hungry I could eat a whore!" and worked backward. If that sounds like your thing, go for it.

EDIT: Oh, and The Crazies is pretty good. It's Romero basically remaking Night of the Living Dead with 15 percent more cynicism.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

InfiniteZero posted:

Return of the Living Dead III,

Please loving God let them finally release the unrated version in decent quality in the US. RotLD3 is a super underrated movie, and I'm pretty sure the theatrical cut being butchered by the MPAA accounts for a lot of its underrated-ness.

Basebf555 posted:

Shock is just okay. Ghosthouse and The Driller Killer are rad as gently caress.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

InfiniteZero posted:

Oh yeah and upcoming titles include Return of the Living Dead III

Sweet baby Jesus you have no idea how happy this makes me.

Yes, I'm aware it's not a great movie (it's real bad if I'm being honest) but I saw it when I was probably 12 or 13 and it's stuck with me for years, not just because of the cheesy romance plot (which I love) but because the lead is crazy hot. ROTLD3 warped my pubescent mind.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
RotLD3 is legit good, no shame. It's a movie that shouldn't work on any level, but yet still does.

e: I will say that it makes The OC and the episodes of CSI with Melinda Clarke in them really weird to watch, though.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 5, 2016

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.

im gaye posted:

Thanks!

Maybe not lesser-known around these parts, but I think Night of the Comet is one of the most 80's movies around.

This person knows what's up. I'll second that fine recommendation.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Glamorama26 posted:

Well I won't have to splurge on C.H.U.D. II at least, that movie is very very bad.

But yes, here's my money to the rest. Waxwork 2 is shockingly fun too!

CHUD2 is a loving awesome and is the true sequel to Return of the Living Dead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kelukma_V8&t=72s

The trailer is loving terrible tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv1_Ig58V2Y

"And many other popular stars." lol

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

ruddiger posted:

Fine, I'll buy C.H.U.D. II and reassess it, I was gonna buy it anyways probably because I can't help myself, please take away my disposable income

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

All of those look great except for me personally not liking Microwave Massacre and Frightmare.

I really like Shock because the ending is so mean.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
^^^Shock is a must watch for me just because its Bava, I'm trying to get my hands on as much of his stuff as I possibly can.

Return of the Living Dead III is directed by Brian Yuzna, therefore I will watch it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Don't Torture a Duckling got put up on Shudder it looks like. So you should watch that.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

Basebf555 posted:

Microwave Massacre would be my choice.

The only other one I have seen is House on Sorority Row, but I recall it being a generic paint-by-number slasher with lots of nudity

Frightmare has one of my favorite horror covers. It checks every criteria, a skull, graveyard, knife thru said skull, full moon, haunted house, fog, lightning, hand coming out of a grave and a goddamn snake to top it off. That said, I have not seen the movie and can only assume it's not 10% as cool as that loving cover.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

I'm fairly certain that these are worth watching, but correct me if I'm wrong: The Crazies

Original Crazies directed by Romero: NO.

Remake that came out in 2010 and stars Timothy Olyphant: YES.

Romero's Crazies is like NOTLD minus zombies and any type of meaningful political commentary whatsoever.

ObamaPhone fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 5, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Who picks out the selection for Shudder?

Or is the selection made up by partners, distribution companies, etc.?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Well they are owned by AMC so I am assuming various partners etc.. for them. However, it is curated by a team of people that pick out the horror titles.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

In terms of lesser known super ridiculous super 80's horror Spookies is pretty great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t63eyaVgciE

Of this list " The Toolbox Murders, Ghosthouse, The Mutilator, Microwave Massacre, The Driller Killer, House on Sorority Row, Slime City, Frightmare, Long Hair of Death." you should watch GHOST HOUSE because it's the best 80s trash haunted house movie, but Slime City and Driller Killer are both good too. Driller Killer isn't an 80's movie or light hearted fun at all really though

Tolkien minority fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 5, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
If it's the original Toolbox Murders then go for it. It's so gross and sleazy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ObamaPhone posted:

Original Crazies directed by Romero: NO.

Remake that came out in 2010 and stars Timothy Olyphant: YES.

Romero's Crazies is like NOTLD minus zombies and any type of meaningful political commentary whatsoever.

a government agency swooping into a small town, placing everyone under marshal law when poo poo starts falling apart isn't a commentary? Or having a teenage girl surrounded by horned out american soldiers who immediately break rank as soon as things go south? Keep in mind Romero's also a minority who has faced discrimination in his lifetime, so for some pasty no-name goon to see there's no political commentary whatsoever is pretty loving hilarious.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dunno if name calling is necessary but The Crazies is most certainly a condemnation of The Military Industrial Complex, The Military, Totalitarianism and biological warfare. Where The Night of the Living Dead seems to deconstruct the idea of the Nuclear Family The Crazies examines how in reality at the time the military is loving horrible.

You also should be aware of what year that film was made 1973

Here's some poo poo:

Vietnam War ends

The Watergate Scandal Begins

The Oil Crisis

The Kent State Shootings were just 3 years prior to this film being made.

Also there were a lot of mass shootings in the early 70s.

The early 70s were a very turbulent time in the United States , you had the Civil Rights movement evolving, you had the country completely disillusioned by it's government.

This is the time period where a majority of distopian films start coming out.

Biological Warfare was also just appearing in the public consciousness as well in the world. This was when we actually started to ban biological weapons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Aug 6, 2016

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
Antibirth trailer from IFC Midnight was recently released. Natasha Lyonne and Chloe Sevigny aside, I'm sold solely by that lovely chevron yarn blanket.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

Speed Crazy posted:

Antibirth trailer from IFC Midnight was recently released. Natasha Lyonne and Chloe Sevigny aside, I'm sold solely by that lovely chevron yarn blanket.

I saw this movie at a film festival a while back. It's bizarre and amazing.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Speed Crazy posted:

This led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsbzf3bL4Qg

I am almost positive this is the music from Beyond the Black Rainbow.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Bout to watch Irish horror film, The Hollow.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

The Bananana posted:

Bout to watch Irish horror film, The Hollow.

Good choice.

It was pretty good, 4/5 for myself.

Whispering Machines
Dec 27, 2005

Monsters? They look like monsters to you?

Franchescanado posted:

Wait, what? Why would he hand his son a remote detonator? He just wants to blow up his son? The book's whole goal is find his son. When he finds his son, he assumes the cell phone signal could possibly reverse it, but it never says if it works or not. It just ends. Where does the detonator come into play?.

Well, I mean, he does *kinda* accomplish his goal. Guy gives him phone detonator and lets him take his bomb-filled truck; John Cusack drives to antenna where there's like 50,000 zombies wandering in a circle (which was kinda cool), runs over Head Zombie guy, his son appears out of nowhere and begins screeching the signal at him, while he hugs him and punches in the detonator number. Except then it goes to a sappy "father and son walking into the light" thing while in reality he's now one of the thousands of zombies milling about, the truck sitting intact in the middle of the field.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

ruddiger posted:

I'm glad I'm not the only one to think it started out as a ROTLD script. I really need to revisit the film, it's been decades since I saw it...

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

ObamaPhone posted:

Good choice.

It was pretty good, 4/5 for myself.

Pretty good so far

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Well, I finally saw Society, and knowing it's weird, and knowing that one poster who knew it was weird and still wasn't prepared for its weirdness, I wasn't prepared for its weirdness. That ending is something special. I liked it.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Well, I finally saw Society, and knowing it's weird, and knowing that one poster who knew it was weird and still wasn't prepared for its weirdness, I wasn't prepared for its weirdness. That ending is something special. I liked it.

I'm going to watch all of Society one day...

One day I will do that.

Unfortunately Youtube awarded me just the ending.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Whispering Machines posted:

Well, I mean, he does *kinda* accomplish his goal. Guy gives him phone detonator and lets him take his bomb-filled truck; John Cusack drives to antenna where there's like 50,000 zombies wandering in a circle (which was kinda cool), runs over Head Zombie guy, his son appears out of nowhere and begins screeching the signal at him, while he hugs him and punches in the detonator number. Except then it goes to a sappy "father and son walking into the light" thing while in reality he's now one of the thousands of zombies milling about, the truck sitting intact in the middle of the field.

this sounds better than the ending of the book, which isn't really an "ending" as much as an attempt at avoiding writing one.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Hollismason posted:

This led me to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nsbzf3bL4Qg

I am almost positive this is the music from Beyond the Black Rainbow.

It's not, though it does sound a lot like Sinoia Caves' work in general. Also, holy gently caress, cyberpunk found-footage Children of the Corn, I'm so down

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Can anyone recommend some medieval themed horror movies? Along the lines of Black Death.

Army of Darkness doesn't count.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

Kvlt! posted:

Can anyone recommend some medieval themed horror movies? Along the lines of Black Death.

Army of Darkness doesn't count.

Hard to Be a God

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11sMDQIgggA

Alhazred posted:

It's not really a horror movie though.

I think that really depends on if you consider the grotesque a facet of horror.

Thirsty Girl fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 6, 2016

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Alhazred posted: