Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NESguerilla posted:

I rented a place off of Craigslist. I don't have any reason to think it's a scam , but I am supposed to deposit the first months rent and security deposit directly into a Wells Fargo account, and just in case something goes wrong what can I do to protect myself? I realize that it's not unheard of to directly deposit rent as I have known people that do it, but it has me wary compared to just writing a check or something which I'm used to.=
What do you think happens when someone deposits a check?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I rented a place off of Craigslist. I don't have any reason to think it's a scam , but I am supposed to deposit the first months rent and security deposit directly into a Wells Fargo account, and just in case something goes wrong what can I do to protect myself? I realize that it's not unheard of to directly deposit rent as I have known people that do it, but it has me wary compared to just writing a check or something which I'm used to.

Just to be clear I have the keys, have been to the place a few times , have met the landlord and have met the roommate I'll be living with so it's not some random Nigerian prince or something. Nothing about the situation has given me bad vibes, but I'm still essentially dumping a grand into a strangers bank account so I want to make sure I have my bases covered before I go there tomorrow.

Who actually owns the property? Look it up.

It's not uncommon for people to break into an abandoned property, change the locks and rent it on CL until the bank or real owners find out. Usually the payment is in an untraceable format, but still I'd be wary. If they stole someone info and opened an account they could just withdraw it and run.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Does it work or not work in Chrome? Since Opera and Chrome share most of their code these days, if it behaves the same in Chrome it's not just an Opera problem, but if it doesn't then its somethin in the Opera shell.

This the pre-Chrome version of Opera, but it also works fine in Chromium.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ulmont posted:

What do you think happens when someone deposits a check?

There's an actual check to be recorded versus presumably cash being deposited right into someone else's account (I mean you can't write a check and deposit it in someone's account yourself without forging the signature after all, they're supposed to sign it).

Tiggum posted:

This the pre-Chrome version of Opera, but it also works fine in Chromium.

Oh, then you should probably stop using a 2+ year old unsupported browser .

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bovril Delight posted:

Who actually owns the property? Look it up.

It's not uncommon for people to break into an abandoned property, change the locks and rent it on CL until the bank or real owners find out. Usually the payment is in an untraceable format, but still I'd be wary. If they stole someone info and opened an account they could just withdraw it and run.

Heh. Reading about this scam is what made me all paranoid all of a sudden. Really I think anything fishy is incredibly unlikely. The landlord and guy that lived there seem legit and I even met the neighbors and they seemed nice. I've been there a couple of times to drop off boxes and everything seems fine. The main thing that I'm wondering is if depositing directly into an account is less safe than writing a check somehow. poo poo, I don't even know how this works to be honest since I can't write a check I hope I'm not supposed to bring cash. I'm hoping my debit card would work? I'm planning on asking the people at Wells Fargo about all of this too.

No luck finding the property on any of the sites I found from google.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 30, 2015

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

NESguerilla posted:

Heh. Reading about this scam is what made me all paranoid all of a sudden. Really I think anything fishy is incredibly unlikely. The landlord and guy that lived there seem legit and I even met the neighbors and they seemed nice. I've been there a couple of times to drop off boxes and everything seems fine. The main thing that I'm wondering is if depositing directly into an account is less safe than writing a check somehow. poo poo, I don't even know how this works to be honest since I can't write a check I hope I'm not supposed to bring cash. I'm hoping my debit card would work? I'm planning on asking the people at Wells Fargo about all of this too.

The bank will have a record of the transaction, just as if you'd written a check. It doesn't open up any secret bank backdoors where they can draw an arbitrary amount of money from your account in the future.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

I'm Australian and this post is just so loving weird to me. No one writes cheques here, everything is done via direct deposit and it's perfectly normal and safe. We do it via web interface but I guess there's probably a way to do it via debit card somehow.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Well it's not like we use checks for everything, but since it's a new landlord I just want to make sure there is some sort of paper trail (literal or figurative) and I'm not just going to have to dump cash into this account. I probably should have just asked "can I use check or debit to deposit straight into someone else's account provided I have the acct #?" instead of going into the backstory.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

tuyop posted:

Where does the Indian burial ground trope come from originally?

My googling has found that it goes back to at least 1931, when there were ten movies, foreign and American, that used the term at least once. It starts in books in the mid-19th century with some mentions in The Legends of Montauk, which is a catalogue of urban legends, I think. Was that book the influential origin of the trope or is there a famous horror novel that really set the ball rolling?

There was a lot of stuff in the early 19th century about US settlers being cursed by Natives. Plays like Tecumseh and Metamora were hugely popular in the 1820s and 30s. There is a lot about this in Werner Sollors's book Beyond Ethnicity. I suppose there must have been a transition from "cursed by dying Natives" to "curse hangs around burial ground" as Native removals hit their stride in the Jackson administration.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is there still a CAD mock thread?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baron Porkface posted:

Is there still a CAD mock thread?

Welcome... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_eXegPAWc

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3689737

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Could you please link the photoshop phriday loss.jgp compilation video?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Gravity Pike posted:

The bank will have a record of the transaction, just as if you'd written a check. It doesn't open up any secret bank backdoors where they can draw an arbitrary amount of money from your account in the future.

Except the landlord could just claim they deposited the money themselves if they wanted to gently caress you over. You write a check or do a wire transfer and there's a record that you have of the transaction versus dumping cash in some random bank account.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Except the landlord could just claim they deposited the money themselves if they wanted to gently caress you over. You write a check or do a wire transfer and there's a record that you have of the transaction versus dumping cash in some random bank account.

This is why receipts exist.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Organza Quiz posted:

This is why receipts exist.

The receipt wouldn't prove anything. It's why normal people and non-sketchy landlords don't ask you to just deposit cash into their bank account directly!

It's seriously something you should only do to like give a close friend $20 or something else like that. It's putting yourself at risk for no reason.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

jackpot posted:

Lately I'm getting calls from numbers I don't recognize, and a second or so after I answer the phone it starts ringing again. I always hang up, because I assume it's some sort of bullshit where it's transferring me to some $20-per-minute thing, but is that it? Or is it something else?

This happens all the time with my phone, both for answer/instant hang ups or if I decline the call. Think it's been this way since I updated to android lollipop. Annoying af.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

The receipt wouldn't prove anything. It's why normal people and non-sketchy landlords don't ask you to just deposit cash into their bank account directly!

It's seriously something you should only do to like give a close friend $20 or something else like that. It's putting yourself at risk for no reason.

Agreed, just because our man has his receipt doesn't mean if he gets hosed out of the place he can go to the bank and say "yes I'd like my money back please."

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Most people I know use direct deposit to pay rent. Direct deposit works just like writing a check, except you don't have to worry about mailing it every month or having someone come pick it up. On your end the money get's taken out on time and it says where it's going and why; and on their end it says exactly who it came from and why. I can't think of any reason why you would think it different from a check.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TheLastManStanding posted:

Most people I know use direct deposit to pay rent. Direct deposit works just like writing a check, except you don't have to worry about mailing it every month or having someone come pick it up. On your end the money get's taken out on time and it says where it's going and why; and on their end it says exactly who it came from and why. I can't think of any reason why you would think it different from a check.

We're not talking direct deposit, which is a wire transfer with records on both ends, dude. We're talking going to the bank and depositing directly into someone else's account, which can only be done with cash or a forged signature on a check.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How long did it take yall to find out that the playlist "my mix" on youtube wasn't created by another user with surprisingly similar musical taste to your own?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Nintendo Kid posted:

We're not talking direct deposit, which is a wire transfer with records on both ends, dude. We're talking going to the bank and depositing directly into someone else's account, which can only be done with cash or a forged signature on a check.

Or, you know, "forging" your own signature on a check made out to yourself. So long as it's endorsed, you can deposit it anywhere you want.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Went down there today and you can write a check as for deposit or use a debit/ credit card. The guys at the bank seemed confused that I even thought it was weird and told me it is extremely common. I used a check.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Baron Porkface posted:

How long did it take yall to find out that the playlist "my mix" on youtube wasn't created by another user with surprisingly similar musical taste to your own?

I only listen to stuff outside my own library on the rare periods when I'm trying to find new stuff and up until last time I did it I would use grooveshark :( . I never listened to music in youtube is what I mean.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

program666 posted:

I only listen to stuff outside my own library on the rare periods when I'm trying to find new stuff and up until last time I did it I would use grooveshark :( . I never listened to music in youtube is what I mean.

Yeah, I use Songza for music discovery and soundcloud for playing particular songs. I guess I've used YouTube at a friends house before, but it always struck me as a weird way to listen to music all the time because of the constant ads.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Baron Porkface posted:

Could you please link the photoshop phriday loss.jgp compilation video?

I don't have a link to it, maybe ask in the thread.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

tuyop posted:

Yeah, I use Songza for music discovery and soundcloud for playing particular songs. I guess I've used YouTube at a friends house before, but it always struck me as a weird way to listen to music all the time because of the constant ads.
Not only that but now that I tried the "My Mix" playlist I have a lot of stupid questions like: what is even the point of it? David bowie playing jean genie in a live show would show up on it, which is cool since I've never seen that particular performance, but the sound quality was terrible. And 4 songs in and no new stuff showing up, its pretty much like just playing my library on shuffle. Also the youtube interface is goddamn awful to play around with the queue, so you can't just search for something and "play next". Actually I never understood why in the name of all that is holy youtube is so loving awful if you just want to queue a bunch of stuff to watch, the closest would be clicking "watch later" but if you're used to something like grooveshark that's loving pathetic. Maybe they wanted us to press the like and dislike buttons more. Also they seem to force us to use they awful awful piece of poo poo "what to watch" instead of just letting me use my subscriptions screen as default, and there is still no default queue for the videos on my subscriptions, and no way to filter content that I don't like from the channels I'm subscribed to.
I don't watch tv for almost a decade and it's hilarious how google seemingly doesn't want me to use their service as a replacement.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

tuyop posted:

You seem blissfully unaware that ad blockers exist. I was blissfully unaware Youtube had ads until I bought an Android device two years ago where installing an ad blocker turned out to be a hassle.

program666 posted:

Also the youtube interface is goddamn awful to play around with the queue, so you can't just search for something and "play next".
Even more hilarious is that the functionality is there if you pair your computer/tablet to a smart tv to play the videos on.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
Is it disrespectful to veterans and active duty personnel for me to have a infrared reflective flag patch on my bag if I've never been in the military?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Nintendo Kid posted:

We're talking going to the bank and depositing directly into someone else's account, which can only be done with cash or a forged signature on a check.
Nah, you can deposit an unsigned check in a bank account pretty normally.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

b0nes posted:

Is it disrespectful to veterans and active duty personnel for me to have a infrared reflective flag patch on my bag if I've never been in the military?
No.

Also anyone who cares is an idiot and you should do it just to piss on their Cheerios.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

b0nes posted:

Nope. Is it disrespectful of other patriots to be a patriot?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

b0nes posted:

No, it just makes you look like a dumb nerd and you should be aware that you're a punchline for everyone who walks by and knows what you're wearing. Do you also wear marpat pants in public as casual clothing?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Baron Porkface posted:

Is it proper decorum that The Queen not sing God Save the Queen? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3dR7u7TPNo

Yes, it is absolutely proper that the Queen not sing that song. An analogy I can draw for you is like someone singing along with "Happy Birthday To You" at their own party.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Memento posted:

Yes, it is absolutely proper that the Queen not sing that song. An analogy I can draw for you is like someone singing along with "Happy Birthday To You" at their own party.

She must be so bored of hearing that loving song.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

ineptmule posted:

She must be so bored of hearing that loving song.

The Sex Pistols are pretty awesome all the time and it is her own drat fault if she doesn't like it.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

I'd like to know what people in other places think of English-language books/films/whatever gets translated. Is there a place where I can easily find that out?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Dzhay posted:

I'd like to know what people in other places think of English-language books/films/whatever gets translated. Is there a place where I can easily find that out?

Well, not everyone here has English for a first language :shobon:

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
I've got a potentially stupid question.

Is there a thread that specifically discusses features specific to AT&T U-verse? They issued a recent firmware update for their DVR and I'd like to ask a specific question in an appropriate thread :)

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Well, not everyone here has English for a first language :shobon:

True, I could make a thread about it, but I was hoping someone else had already done something like that somewhere on the web.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.

Dzhay posted:

True, I could make a thread about it, but I was hoping someone else had already done something like that somewhere on the web.

:justpost: