Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

EvilJoven posted:

I've seen a few polyamorous groupings that seemed to work remarkably well with no drama or abuse that I could observe. Institutionalized polygamy is an entirely different beast.

In my anecdotal experience these have always involved multiple women but only one man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not in mine.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if I'm being honest with myself trying to get on board with accepting polygamy is probably where my tolerant left self ends. rip young me, died to old conservative me

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.
Seems to me if polygamy is an institutionalized cultural practise, the women would be conditioned from an early age not to seek help or leave due to abuse.

Legally recognizing it won't change that

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
OK well if you guys don't want to allow polygamy that means you're OK with taking away gay marriage and ladyboy toilets right

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

I'd be OK with you marrying a toilet and moving to a cabin with no Internet, CI

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

M.McFly posted:

"Minority rights and the freedom to smoke what I want are important to me. That's why I support a party that's in favor of neither of those things."

It's ridiculous, but I actually know people in real life that share this sentiment.

"I may disagree with the ardent neo-liberal capitalist that hand out money to the rich, bigoted Christian fundamentalists, and anti-legalization/anti-choice people that make up the leadership of the party, but I just don't trust the left for some reason."

- Just about every single young CPC voter I've ever met.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Has anyone told you yet to stick to real estate this month?

also

quote:

In my anecdotal experience these have always involved multiple women but only one man.

Not in mine and the person who coined the term was a straight woman with multiple lovers.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Skippy Granola posted:

I'd be OK with you marrying a toilet and moving to a cabin with no Internet, CI

U mad because you suddenly realised you're a hypocrite

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
I vote Conservative because whenever I express something on twitter "The Left" angrily replies to me and Conservatives are clearly the party of choice when it comes to MY free speech rights

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Yeah

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

mojo1701a posted:

"I may disagree with the ardent neo-liberal capitalist that hand out money to the rich, bigoted Christian fundamentalists, and anti-legalization/anti-choice people that make up the leadership of the party, but I just don't trust the left for some reason."

Sounds like my old "Young tories" classmate who likes to self-define as "not that kind of french canadian" because he knows the lyrics to God save the queen, read everything by Hayek in High School and liked aggressively boring poo poo like the stock market.

quote:

Wow, queer people are really like polygamous marriage, really makes u think

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

THC posted:

china can annex canada if they promise to crush all these religious sects

I'm now imagining Canadian polygamists in exile standing on the streets of European cities and passing out flyers saying "CANADIAN GOVERNMENT PERSECUTES US AND STEALS OUR ORGANS"

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Agnosticnixie posted:

Wow, queer people are really like polygamous marriage, really makes u think

CI is human filth, this should be well established by now.

not only does he think that rape victims are sluts, forced marriages=gay marriages and PTSD is just an excuse, but he also things food boiled in a bag is haute cuisine

I'm not sure which one of those is the most awful, but it's all pretty awful.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Yeah he's pretty awful, you need to boil your gay marriages in a bag for at least 8 hours and that worthless gently caress does it for 7

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Hey sorry I don't admire your incontinent war hero

Man I'm getting PTSD reading your sick burns maybe I can get disability

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
But seriously how the gently caress does any coward in the cf get PTSD if they're not a woman anyway? It's not like you have hordes of Taliban running after you with their dicks hanging out clambering for some hot bachi bazi fun times with a fat princess Patricia man

The only legit PTSD cases are the women who keep getting raped by said princess Patricia fatties

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

There it is, the most CI post.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Skippy Granola posted:

There it is, the most CI post.

and it's not even entertaining, like Kirk's Razor meltdown or the ballad of 14 INCH DICK.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It wouldn't be a CI post if it was entertaining.

He's the grim id that we as a country try to hide behind our public healthcare and multiculturalism and wokeness.

He is the worst and most authentic Canadian.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

namaste faggots posted:

But seriously how the gently caress does any coward in the cf get PTSD

Such a deep understanding of the brain here. We can all learn from this.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
On paper, polygamy seems like yeah sure whatever, do your thing, but in practice, we see that more often than not it results in dudes building harem cults with brainwashing and child rape. So yeah, lets not allow that.

This doesn't really infringe on the freedom of weirdo polyamorous blob people, they are still free to live together all they want, they just can't "marry" a bunch of brainwashed girls the moment they turn hit the age of consent and use that as legal cover for their :barf:

smoke sumthin bitch
Dec 14, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
marriage should just be abolished from a legal perspective. its an outdated religious institution that has no place in modern, supposedly secular, canadian society.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, I mean if I earn all the money in the household and get sick of this woman I'm letting live with me I should be able to just kick her out. She ain't got a job, doesn't deserve any legal protections.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
Common law couples get protections just fine without requiring sanction from a church or city hall. Also lol if you think marriage is that much of a legal protection against this scenario.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheKingofSprings posted:

At least for grain and oilseed a lot of that net worth is tied up in land and equipment that won't be worth half what was paid in on resale.

Which is great if you want to get the gently caress out of farming, not so much if you want to keep farming :v:

You're saying that those numbers aren't including depreciation? Most such calculations use depreciated asset values AIUI.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 26, 2018

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Agnosticnixie posted:

Common law couples get protections just fine without requiring sanction from a church or city hall. Also lol if you think marriage is that much of a legal protection against this scenario.

We'd have to massively reform the immigration system too, and adoption, and tax. Most people I know who are married did it mostly for some sort of important legal reason, not out of some sense of tradition or religion.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

mojo1701a posted:

They just don't know what it takes to manage an economy and create good jahbs! This is a conclusion I arrived at through my own original thinking and research.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

DariusLikewise posted:

I vote Conservative because whenever I express something on twitter "The Left" angrily replies to me and Conservatives are clearly the party of choice when it comes to MY free speech rights

I wanted to be progressive but Mike Cernovich and Lauren Southern keep making solid arguments, and all the progressive left can offer in response is angry virtue signalling SJW jargon. I'm very good at evaluating the quality of people's arguments btw

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 19, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

THC posted:

They just don't know what it takes to manage an economy and create good jahbs! This is a conclusion I arrived at through my own original thinking and research.

I'm a rebel; I don't follow the same leftist ideas as most of my peers.

Now let me vomit up a 1,000 word essay about how my parents shouldn't pay so much in tax and immigrants have it easy compared to their generation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

You're saying that those numbers aren't including depreciation? Most such calculations use depreciated asset values AIUI.

No, I think those numbers include it, but I wanted to stress those assets aren't liquid.

At least in the case of our farm, that money is tied up in multiple families, too. I was going to criticize the twitter post for making the assumption of singular ownership when reporting the graph because there is a clear distinction between a farm and farmer but I'm not sure if that is factored into the data or not, so v:v:v

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 19, 2017

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
Surprising no one, Toronto's police union has chosen to be petty as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/CP24/status/854711950990860288

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
And in response, perhaps it's time Pride stopped accepting money from the city. Of course this leaves them even more reliant on sponsorship, which has its own problems.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Why does pride even need to be a huge big expensive event? Why can't it just be what ever size it can naturally be while self-funding and focusing on the event being both a celebration of and agitation for gay rights?
The last pride's I've been to have been a bunch of corporate floats/vehicles rolling by while handing out coupons and promoting their business, a tiny minority of floats actually having much to do with the gay community or pushing any boundaries or agitating for any sort of political change, then a big outdoor festival with entertainment stages, beer gardens, and vendor booths. If no one told me it was pride I'd think it was just some generic local business and corporate funded summer fun party.

it's a fun and very popular event, but it's almost a victim of it's own popularity and universal mainstream appeal.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I guess someone here has never heard of Circuit Parties :slick:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Go to Dyke March, SlutWalk or Trans Pride

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

Pride is a slightly more dignified Calgary Stampede now that being gay is pretty mainstream.

Yknow, what with gay LaFou and gay power Rangers and stuff.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
When can we fund the blm parades with public money. Moreso than now where we provide their events with free policing that other events pay for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Will pride invite the flds to march with them in solidarity