Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, choose something you're best at and let the rest of your team cover the rest. I always slam-pick Pharah when grinding into Diamond because I know I'll be able to influence the battle the most.

Going healer means you're reliant upon people who may be at their maximum skill level and it's pretty hard to make the plays with just Ana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Macaluso posted:

Dude on reddit posted this picture of him hitting 2401 :psyduck: (also apparently the portrait doesn't currently get updated anymore after this point)

are you loving kidding me, what are these people doing with their lives

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

frajaq posted:

Playing Overwatch.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

mmmhkay...

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thor-Stryker posted:

Yeah, choose something you're best at and let the rest of your team cover the rest. I always slam-pick Pharah when grinding into Diamond because I know I'll be able to influence the battle the most.

Going healer means you're reliant upon people who may be at their maximum skill level and it's pretty hard to make the plays with just Ana.
This mentality is why no-one picks healer.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

mcbexx posted:

mmmhkay...

Yeah, that happens sometimes. Reaper gets comically huge guns too.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Irony Be My Shield posted:

The mentality is the result of the design of the healers and the rank system. I can't really blame people for feeling that way. I know I had a miserable time in s2 anytime I went support. Didn't really play enough s3, but I placed into Silver down from Gold mostly playing support. And I went on a win streak and got back to Gold this season playing Soldier mostly, while I struggled with Ana earlier in placements.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ugh I hate those Cute But Deadly figures. I wanted Bastion but I know I would never get him if I bought even 10 boxes.

You can buy him outright on Amazon at a premium. https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Vinyl...cute+but+deadly

Reviews are because people don't realize the figures come from blind boxes, or that you can ask Amazon for a return.

teagone fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Mar 12, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
As a support player on PS4, I often find it's easier to just tell people what to do over voice comms rather than wait for team cohesion to spontaneously materialise.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

"weak/passive healer" is a bad video game class that I've only seen a few games do right, by A. limiting the impact of healing in the middle of a fight, and B. not making the healer some sad gimped bastard that exist to be owned repeatedly by real combatants

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

It's not a mentality it's a fact. Playing support roles limits your impact on the game compared to reliably killing enemies or playing objective focused tanks, etc. I really enjoy support in this game but only when playing with a group I know I can rely on to not be idiots.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

It's truth unfortunately. You can be the best healer in the world, but if your team just can't kill the enemy, then you'll never win.

But if you're below your true rank, going dps ensures you will dispatch the enemy while some subpar player runs around as Lucio still giving you the heals you need.

I only know this because I had to grind up from 60 to 73+ in the first two seasons (I started at the same rank in both seasons). It took until season three for the sorting hat to start me at diamond from the get-go.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Between releasing a 35% ironclad to live, and reverting the grenade nerfs, I'm beginning to think that Blizzard is trying to make a game I don't want to play anymore.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
You can 100% carry as supports, even the ones with basically no DPS.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Redundant posted:

You can 100% carry as supports, even the ones with basically no DPS.

CIte sources please and thanks.

This ain't Dota.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Blinky did a mercy carry stream in silver

Wasn't 100% winrate, but he absolutely carried his teams.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

teagone posted:

You can buy him outright on Amazon at a premium. https://www.amazon.com/Deadly-Vinyl...cute+but+deadly

Reviews are because people don't realize the figures come from blind boxes, or that you can ask Amazon for a return.

Not gonna lie, I am tempted to get this once it's out in May.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

mcvey posted:

Competitive TFC had some real dumb rules

You talking about the no chasing/pot shotting thing? That more or less became a consensus among the vast majority of the competitive scene due to a certain clan CNBL (or it might have been CNBL-r, it's been like 16 loving years), being notoriously miserable to play against and the game basically devolving into a mid field team deathmatch the instant they capped the flag, which had the same effect as them turtling and go all defense.

If it's not that I honestly can't remember anything particularly weird other than the hard chat ban.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

If you guys want to seem some dire competitive video game rules, look up Heroes of Might & Magic 3 ruleset. Granted, it mostly is there to make the game actually enjoyable as a competition, but there's like a short handbook of them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Thor-Stryker posted:

it's pretty hard to make the plays with just Ana.

lmao

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

mcbexx posted:

It's almost worth getting that JUST for the mech, and throwing the lovely pop figure of D.Va away.

gently caress just give us a line of REAL FIGURES. I'm actually kind of amazed they haven't started trying to go down the Skylanders/Amiibos route yet because they have so many characters in their franchises now, if they make decent quality but affordable figures for their games, Blizzard would make exactly one trillion dollars

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bolow posted:

You talking about the no chasing/pot shotting thing? That more or less became a consensus among the vast majority of the competitive scene due to a certain clan CNBL (or it might have been CNBL-r, it's been like 16 loving years), being notoriously miserable to play against and the game basically devolving into a mid field team deathmatch the instant they capped the flag, which had the same effect as them turtling and go all defense.

If it's not that I honestly can't remember anything particularly weird other than the hard chat ban.

You'll have to elaborate / tell me this story. How the gently caress do you enforce no chasing/pot shotting? So you literally can't poke and get a pick in order to push? It's been ages since I cared about TF2 so I'm confused why capping a point and then going DM would be akin to max turtling.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Macaluso posted:

gently caress just give us a line of REAL FIGURES. I'm actually kind of amazed they haven't started trying to go down the Skylanders/Amiibos route yet because they have so many characters in their franchises now, if they make decent quality but affordable figures for their games, Blizzard would make exactly one trillion dollars

Remember those giant mock up collector's figurines of Pharah and Tracer they propped up at the launch event? Those looked pretty well made. Never understood why they never released the full roster, they would have sold like hotcakes.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

mcbexx posted:

Remember those giant mock up collector's figurines of Pharah and Tracer they propped up at the launch event? Those looked pretty well made. Never understood why they never released the full roster, they would have sold like hotcakes.

Blizzard is at the point where they made so much money that they are too mindfucked to realize/care that they could make way more. Hence them just licensing away their poo poo randomly. Also the lovely Warcraft movie. It's funny because the OW/Titan documentary they released talks about how they grew overconfident and complacent, which lead to Titan failing, but to be honest, that doesn't really seemed to have gone away and definitely doesn't seem to have been unique to the Titan team.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Xtanstic posted:

You'll have to elaborate / tell me this story. How the gently caress do you enforce no chasing/pot shotting? So you literally can't poke and get a pick in order to push? It's been ages since I cared about TF2 so I'm confused why capping a point and then going DM would be akin to max turtling.

We're talking about TFC not TF2. Comp TFC was predominately CTF, with the odd command point map or hybrid map.

In NA it was predominately 9v9, in EU it was 8v8. I'm not sure why there was a difference. Anyway you'd run both your offense and defense at the same time, with there being a cap on the amount of defenders you could have. So the rule would effectively prevent the offense from one side just shooting the offense from the other. You could shoot the gently caress out of the flag carrier provided you didn't stop, and made continual progress towards the enemy flag though.

It was mostly enforced via demo evidence as every player was required to record a demo, even after HLTV became a thing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

mcbexx posted:

I thought NECA had the license to do Blizzard figures. Or is that just only Heroes of the Storm, which is a way they can at least get Tracer, Zarya, and Lucio in through that.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Macaluso posted:

People wanted Overwatch Nendoroids and Figmas, and they're going to get them. But they're $50+ a pop, or at least the Tracer Nendoroid is. The Genji Figma is probably going to be $70 or $80. Those are totally affordable, right? And justifiable purchases?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Bolow posted:

We're talking about TFC not TF2. Comp TFC was predominately CTF, with the odd command point map or hybrid map.

In NA it was predominately 9v9, in EU it was 8v8. I'm not sure why there was a difference. Anyway you'd run both your offense and defense at the same time, with there being a cap on the amount of defenders you could have. So the rule would effectively prevent the offense from one side just shooting the offense from the other. You could shoot the gently caress out of the flag carrier provided you didn't stop, and made continual progress towards the enemy flag though.

It was mostly enforced via demo evidence as every player was required to record a demo, even after HLTV became a thing.

Ohhh TFC that explains it

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Bolow posted:

And here I thought it was a sad day when ProvingGrounds banned redeemer launching on CTF-Face. IIRC, they banned all forms of launching. :smith:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ToastyPotato posted:

And here I thought it was a sad day when ProvingGrounds banned redeemer launching on CTF-Face. IIRC, they banned all forms of launching. :smith:

Meh it sounds convoluted but it legitimately made for a better game. Playing into 8-9 defenders is legitimately loving terrible for all involved. That redeemer launch was cheesy as poo poo, but them banning all the other launching sounds goddamn terrible. But ProvingGrounds was basically the dumpster tier league for any Half-Life engine games so I'm unsuprised it was trash for UT as well

Bolow fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Mar 12, 2017

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
CTF-Face was never really a good map for High level play. It is good with people who still miss a lot.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Twibbit posted:

CTF-Face was never really a good map for High level play. It is good with people who still miss a lot.

It was the only map my clan did well in. :unsmith: We were even able to beat teams that would steamroll us completely on any other map.

My clan was legit formed on and made up of regulars from a 24/7 Face server... Netreach Face server RIP.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

frajaq posted:

I ran into this guy playing CTF. He was pretty bad so I assume a whole lot of idling for loot boxes went into that.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

"weak/passive healer" is a bad video game class that I've only seen a few games do right, by A. limiting the impact of healing in the middle of a fight, and B. not making the healer some sad gimped bastard that exist to be owned repeatedly by real combatants

RIFT's Chloromancer class was the most fun healer I've ever played. I want more life leech classes.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Thank you Blizzard for making such a fun hero like Sombra, I'm having a great time this season after deciding to focus on improving my skill with her

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Minrad posted:

someone that generates literal building blocks people can stand on and interact with and move around

Herobrine?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

RIFT's Chloromancer class was the most fun healer I've ever played. I want more life leech classes.

The only fun healer classes I've seen in shooters usually require some sort of aim instead of being a TF medic ripoff. Like stealing life to charge healing or just straight up shooting your teammates.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

mcbexx posted:

Holy poo poo this is so cuuuuute

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
dear quick play, I appreciate the votes of confidence by throwing me into games with masters and even a few GMs the past few days, but I'm a mid-plat and masters are kind of scary even if I'm not completely sucking in these games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Lord Fisher!
Jul 14, 2006

Groovy!

Lol I (diamond) randomly ended up with a top 500 guy on my team in quick play yesterday. It sucked because I had to stop horsing around as genji and play a character I was actually good at because I felt embarrassed