Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kvlt! posted:

Not as colorful as this one, but maybe my personal favorite horror movie The Abominable Dr Phibes?

What do you think about Dr. Phibes Rises Again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's one of my favorite films as well.

For best Vincent Price performance I'd probably go with Masque of the Red Death.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually have not seen this for like 20+ years and I should hunt it down.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
Howl was decent.

The dialogue and supporting cast was pretty bad.

Then again, so were all of the werewolves except the first.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I actually haven't seen it yet, but I'll watch it and report back.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's really hard to find really good werewolf films that's been made recently.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I just rewatched Bad Moon recently and it's really fun and ridiculously gory. Directed and adapted for the screen by the fella who wrote Near Dark and The Hitcher so despite the 90s sheen, there is randomly some grindhouse levels of gore.

Pretty great looking werewolf outside of one life alteringly bad cgi transformation. 1996 bad CGI so be prepared.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Glamorama26 posted:

I just rewatched Bad Moon recently and it's really fun and ridiculously gory. Directed and adapted for the screen by the fella who wrote Near Dark and The Hitcher so despite the 90s sheen, there is randomly some grindhouse levels of gore.

Pretty great looking werewolf outside of one life alteringly bad cgi transformation. 1996 bad CGI so be prepared.

Just got done watching it myself.

The werewolf was excellent, easily top 5 I have ever seen.

The acting and general feel of the movie was pretty campy though, and the end came too abrupt.

Thor, the German Shepherd, made the movie.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Hollismason posted:

It's really hard to find really good werewolf films that's been made recently.

Are you a fan of the Underworld series?

I have always been.

Can't wait for Underworld: Blood Wars that is slated for next year as well as Underworld 6.

Both will star Kate Beckinsdale, but Underworld 6 will be directed by Underworld 1 & 2 director, Len Wiseman.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Phibes Rises Again is real good. There are no bad Vincent Price movies really. Witchfinder General and Theater of Blood are my favorites.

Edit: oh, and House of Wax, which also fits colorful horror movie chat

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 8, 2016

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I forgot to mention that the werewolf from Waxwork is top tier werewolf'in. He just destroys people including one guy who briefly looks like Tom Delonge before being decimated.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I want to see a movie about an astronaut who gets bitten by a wolf with lycanthropy. The day after he's bitten, he goes on a lunar mission to a base that orbits the moon at a trajectory that always follows the light side, so he'll just be in werewolf form forever.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

sticklefifer posted:

I want to see a movie about an astronaut who gets bitten by a wolf with lycanthropy. The day after he's bitten, he goes on a lunar mission to a base that orbits the moon at a trajectory that always follows the light side, so he'll just be in werewolf form forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2yWqyolDVg

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ObamaPhone posted:

Romero's Crazies is like NOTLD minus zombies and any type of meaningful political commentary whatsoever.

Saying that Romero's Crazies has no meaningful political commentary is like saying Evil Dead II has no meaningful amount of blood in it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've seen a lot of Vincent Price movies over the past few months and none of them are bad, the guy just made a ton of really solid movies. Its tough to pick a favorite, especially if we're talking about specifically Price's performance. He was so consistent and never allowed the quality of the material to effect his own work.

The best overall films starring Price are definitely the ones where the material is strong enough to stand up to his performance though. Witchfinder General and The Masque of the Red Death are the two that really stood out to me in my recent Price phase.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

InfiniteZero posted:

Saying that Romero's Crazies has no meaningful political commentary is like saying Evil Dead II has no meaningful amount of blood in it.

To be fair, that isn't a meaningful amount of blood. It's just a lot of blood. Past a certain point anything loses its meaning.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Basebf555 posted:

I've seen a lot of Vincent Price movies over the past few months and none of them are bad, the guy just made a ton of really solid movies. Its tough to pick a favorite, especially if we're talking about specifically Price's performance. He was so consistent and never allowed the quality of the material to effect his own work.

The best overall films starring Price are definitely the ones where the material is strong enough to stand up to his performance though. Witchfinder General and The Masque of the Red Death are the two that really stood out to me in my recent Price phase.

Yeah he still is able to consistently impress me. Like, a couple Halloweens ago I finally got around to watching Tomb of Ligea, which he just kills it in.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Over the weekend the topic of Thrillers vs. Horror movies came up when we watched the Invitation. Basically a few involved parties really liked the movie, but insisted it was a thriller rather than a horror movie. We started talking about what the difference between those genres were, and couldn't really come to a good conclusion. I'm not sure I would have engaged so deeply with such a semantic argument, but one point that came up was that they would never have even watched the movie if they though it was horror, so perhaps they should rethink what they consider a horror movie in the future so they get exposed to more movies.

To me "thriller" seems like a newer less well defined genre term that actually mashes together horror, crime, and pure mystery movies into one. The defining feature of the entire genre seems to be the use of tension/suspense, which frankly tons of different movies have. Something like The Invitation falls more on the horror spectrum, where as something like Gone Girl falls more towards pure mystery, although I think both movies do have elements from each. At one point in the conversation I brought up intent to frighten as a possible main difference, but I'm still not sure about that, since it relies solely on authorial intent.

I do remember that this thread at one point had quite a detailed discussion about this topic. I couldn't remember any of it sadly, but I imagine some good points were made. Did we ever reach a consensus about the topic?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I think everyone was just a thriller is a film with human antagonists , it has a mystery, and it's goal is to create tension through suspense. It's usually signified by the protagonist trying to solve a underlying mystery.

A good example would be the giallo genre it pretty much straddles the line of thriller and horror films but what pushes it into horror is the graphic depictions of violence and the elaborate death sequences.

Like Rear Window is a thriller but Psycho is a horror film.

One of the key differences is graphic elaborate deaths and if it has any supernatural events.

It's also a one way street , horror films can have suspense but thrillers can't have horror.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Aug 8, 2016

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite is Theater of Blood.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

InfiniteZero posted:

That's not blood, it's karo syrup!

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
In a thriller people talk about the skeleton but in a horror the skeleton talks to the people.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

There's like a poo poo ton of zombies in Thriller, though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

ObamaPhone posted:

That's not blood, it's karo syrup!

I think, due to the volume of blood and the speed they needed it to pour, they had to use dyed water or some type of theatrical blood. I'd say dyed water, because execs had a problem with them using a large amount of realistic blood, hence the cartoony red, green, black, etc.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Is Lost Highway a horror movie or a thriller?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It's a David Lynch movie

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Hollismason posted:

I think everyone was just a thriller is a film with human antagonists , it has a mystery, and it's goal is to create tension through suspense. It's usually signified by the protagonist trying to solve a underlying mystery.

A good example would be the giallo genre it pretty much straddles the line of thriller and horror films but what pushes it into horror is the graphic depictions of violence and the elaborate death sequences.

Like Rear Window is a thriller but Psycho is a horror film.

One of the key differences is graphic elaborate deaths and if it has any supernatural events.

Hmm. By this definition The Invitation is a thriller and Gone Girl is a horror considering the depiction of violence in each. By gut instinct I would have said the exact opposite.

Does Sixth Sense's supernatural elements make it a horror then? That movie got brought up, and we all actually felt it was a thriller.

Hollismason posted:

It's also a one way street , horror films can have suspense but thrillers can't have horror.

In this sentence horror = supernatural elements & graphic depiction of violence?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Megasabin posted:

Over the weekend the topic of Thrillers vs. Horror movies came up when we watched the Invitation. Basically a few involved parties really liked the movie, but insisted it was a thriller rather than a horror movie. We started talking about what the difference between those genres were, and couldn't really come to a good conclusion. I'm not sure I would have engaged so deeply with such a semantic argument, but one point that came up was that they would never have even watched the movie if they though it was horror, so perhaps they should rethink what they consider a horror movie in the future so they get exposed to more movies.

To me "thriller" seems like a newer less well defined genre term that actually mashes together horror, crime, and pure mystery movies into one. The defining feature of the entire genre seems to be the use of tension/suspense, which frankly tons of different movies have. Something like The Invitation falls more on the horror spectrum, where as something like Gone Girl falls more towards pure mystery, although I think both movies do have elements from each. At one point in the conversation I brought up intent to frighten as a possible main difference, but I'm still not sure about that, since it relies solely on authorial intent.

I do remember that this thread at one point had quite a detailed discussion about this topic. I couldn't remember any of it sadly, but I imagine some good points were made. Did we ever reach a consensus about the topic?

The best description I've heard for the distinction between horror and thriller is that just how a country song that's "good enough" becomes a folk song, a horror film that's "good enough" becomes a thriller. A lot of the distinction comes from a misguided attempt to divide art into highbrow and lowbrow, when such distinction is unnecessary. The Invitation is a straight horror film, but it's arty enough that some will "elevate" it to the level of being a thriller instead of a horror movie.

I think thrillers are a real genre, for something like The Game where there's a lot of tension but no actual scary scenes or horror imagery such as ghosts or Draculas. The line tends to get blurred around something like Manhunter, which features horror imagery and a serial killer, but is more played as a crime procedural than a horror film.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
Well thanks to all the press it's been getting in this topic I sat down and watched Society last night. That was really something. I'm not sure what the gently caress I just watched but it was definitely something. At least now I know where Hector Beerlioz's avatar came from.

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016

Franchescanado posted:

I think, due to the volume of blood and the speed they needed it to pour, they had to use dyed water or some type of theatrical blood. I'd say dyed water, because execs had a problem with them using a large amount of realistic blood, hence the cartoony red, green, black, etc.

You make a good point.

Karo syrup is a lot thicker than water and would probably cost way more than the budget of either Evil Dead 1 or 2 would allow.

I would love a good thread about the various types of fake blood used in movies stretching from the dawn of colorized to now.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
No they used Karo syrup for sure for the first film and they usually mixed it with dye and some water.

I think that Night of the Living Dead if I remember correctly used melted grape jelly.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

morestuff posted:

It's a David Lynch movie

I'd say all David Lynch movies are horror movies. This includes A Straight Story.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ObamaPhone posted:

You make a good point.

Karo syrup is a lot thicker than water and would probably cost way more than the budget of either Evil Dead 1 or 2 would allow.

I would love a good thread about the various types of fake blood used in movies stretching from the dawn of colorized to now.

It's straight from the DVD commentary and the Evil Dead Companion. It was also a safety hazard, because they were literally pouring it on Bruce and his stunt doubles, so a liquid too thick and you've got a dead actor.

Hollismason posted:

No they used Karo syrup for sure for the first film and they usually mixed it with dye and some water.

I think that Night of the Living Dead if I remember correctly used melted grape jelly.

Correct. First movie all they could afford was Karo syrup and Alpo dog food. They talk about how the best way to test Karo blood is to throw it on a white surface and see how it runs, which is why there's a few shots of blood hitting white fabric surfaces in the first movie. Bruce Campbell had to ride home in the back of pick up truck (during autumn/winter) all the way into town, covered in syrup and dog food, smelling like poo poo, bruised from Raimi's beatings, and would have to tear the clothes off his skin.

I dunno about grape jelly, but I do know that NotLD also used real meat/butcher's scraps , and I feel like they stole Hitchcock's Chocolate Syrup Blood technique from Psycho as well.

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

John Carl Buechler did some amazing things with industrial food thickeners. His beard dye job makes me laugh like an idiot as well. Bless that guy.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I want to say NOTLD used Bosco for the blood, but I'm not 100% on that.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's some story regarding grape jelly and NOLD , I'm almost sure of it.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Megasabin posted:

In this sentence horror = supernatural elements & graphic depiction of violence?

If you go looking too hard to categorize films, you'll end up (as I suggested quite a few pages back) like certain heavy metal fans who spend a lot of time categorizing bands into categories like "proto-pagan melodic funeral death metal" and poo poo like that or even more hilariously an album will show up and fans will deem it "unmetal" or whatever.

These guys love metal and advanced sub-categorization.

Once again I would also like to state for the record that I love a lot of metal and metal fans and don't intend to offend.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
A page late, but my memory of Tideland was that it was one of the worst things I'd ever seen. Not in the good way. I remember it feeling utterly joyless and a chore.

My version of it has Gilliam at the beginning saying "some of you will like this, some of you will hate it" and basically begging you to give it a chance and like it.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I wish more films opened with the announcer guy from Frankenstein.

"Hey, just so you know, this film's pretty scary. Bet you can't handle it, you wuss."

ObamaPhone
Jul 6, 2016
A bit more on the werewolf topic a couple pages ago...

It's a shame that John Landis didn't go onto direct other horror movies after An American Werewolf in London.

I read his Wiki page that detailed the death of three people (including 2 kids) during a helicopter crash on the set of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Apparently, this stunted his directing career to a huge degree.

The only other horror material that is accredited to Landis is his work on Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video, which while classic, is nothing compared to the director's untapped potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ObamaPhone posted:

A bit more on the werewolf topic a couple pages ago...

It's a shame that John Landis didn't go onto direct other horror movies after An American Werewolf in London.

I read his Wiki page that detailed the death of three people (including 2 kids) during a helicopter crash on the set of Twilight Zone: The Movie.

Apparently, this stunted his directing career to a huge degree.

The only other horror material that is accredited to Landis is his work on Michael Jackson's "Thriller" music video, which while classic, is nothing compared to the director's untapped potential.

He did several episodes of Masters of Horror, so...