Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

BonHair posted:

As mentioned, Gibson heads just snap occasionally because of the amazingly terribly designed joint. There's just not a lot of wood between neck and head, with the truss rod and all, and there's a lot of tension from the strings. As far as I have seen, the best option is to get an ESP instead glue it back together with a splint (two) as posted above. Just adding the second piece of wood does a lot for its strength as far as I have heard.

IIRC they tried a slightly different design and angle for a bit that reduced snapping somewhat but everyone hated it because it was different so they said "gently caress it" and went back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

IIRC they tried a slightly different design and angle for a bit that reduced snapping somewhat but everyone hated it because it was different so they said "gently caress it" and went back.

It affected tone!

It doesn't, and Epiphone and everyone else uses the non-snappy design. Gibson has blues lawyers as a core demographic though, so change is inherently bad.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have an Epiphone 339 that I repaired a headstock break on.
So they can break but it was probably from shipping damage as it was in a dumpster and still had all the plastic and stuff on the plastic bits.

If it pops again I'll spline it but it's holding together for now.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BonHair posted:

As mentioned, Gibson heads just snap occasionally because of the amazingly terribly designed joint. There's just not a lot of wood between neck and head, with the truss rod and all, and there's a lot of tension from the strings. As far as I have seen, the best option is to get an ESP instead glue it back together with a splint (two) as posted above. Just adding the second piece of wood does a lot for its strength as far as I have heard.

According to a story I heard from an old teacher that was supposedly told by Pete Townsend’s late guitar tech, Townsend switched to Gibson for a while in part because the neck joint broke cleaner/more spectacularly when he smashed them on stage. But then eventually he switched back to Fender because the guitars were less reliable to tune and set up, and just stopped smashing them during every show.

Also if you go into the comments on pretty much every video about the subject of Gibson necks you’ll see people ragging on Billy Joe Armstrong for apparently infamously failing to break a LP in one swing, and comparing him to “the chad Paul Simonon” who could make breaking a P Bass look good and easy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Are there any good precautions to take for Gibson headstocks? I leave mine in the case or in a rack. I don't mind wear but this sort of thing terrifies me.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If I had one I was going to leave in the case for any amount of time, I'd probably detune it every time I put it away.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Don't drop it on its back. :shrug:

It's funny how Martin has used the same design on their headstocks for ages but I guess nobody expects an acoustic to survive falling off the stage or whatever.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

syntaxfunction posted:

Are there any good precautions to take for Gibson headstocks? I leave mine in the case or in a rack. I don't mind wear but this sort of thing terrifies me.

Just don't drop it. It won't spontaneously combust (as some seem to imply), but it is more susceptible to shock than your average headstock.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Regular strings, tune to C# standard. Also buy an ESP. (These are comedy suggestions)

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Break the headstock off and glue it back on.

Sell it and buy a Fender.

:thejoke:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I have two Fenders and I tune the Gibson to B Standard on 10s, is that alright? Am I doing this right?

Fenders are cool, but I don't get the thrill of an absurdly overpriced guitar randomly exploding like a Gibson. Like they say: Only a Gibson is good enough!

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I hosed up and bought this instead of a Tele I'm sorry I let you all down.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice
It's okay, you'll get it right next time.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

BDA posted:

Gibson had a few bolt-on models in the late 70s/early 80s (Sonex, Marauder, etc.) but other than that virtually all of their models have set necks.

Funny you mention this, I had an 83 sonex with a snapped headstock right at the joint under the nut. It has the smile crack all the way around the backside but not actually separated. Supposedly it was fixed by a tech but I bought it for $200 and it played fine.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have a tele I love and am borrowing Dad's LP for a bit. I love the sound but don't actually love the form/weight of a LP.

Will just anything in the Fender/Squire lineup with a humbucker produce basically the same sound? Is there one body type in particular that's like, "Here is Fender's LP."

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

I hosed up and bought this instead of a Tele I'm sorry I let you all down.

That's not a tele. But it's awesome! I love the colour, and, as I've mentioned twice today, ESP is the way to go if you want a Gibson that's actually good. What's the electronics like, passives or actives?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Huxley posted:

I have a tele I love and am borrowing Dad's LP for a bit. I love the sound but don't actually love the form/weight of a LP.

Will just anything in the Fender/Squire lineup with a humbucker produce basically the same sound? Is there one body type in particular that's like, "Here is Fender's LP."

Closest thing body wise would probably be a tele deluxe. It'll still sound different due to different scale, bridge, pickups, and neck joint among other things.

Maybe try out a LP Jr if you want a lighter LP they don't have a maple cap weighing them down.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day

BonHair posted:

okay, I'm going to give this a shot. might be too stupid to figure out how to cut the splints properly, but we'll see. thanks ya'll

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Huxley posted:

Gretsch?

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
Ugh I can't make my mind about getting a MIM Jaguar, a Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar or the Shecter bigsby tele. Someone guide me please

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
the problem in that sentence is using the conjunction "or" instead of "and"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Ugh I can't make my mind about getting a MIM Jaguar, a Squier Classic Vibe Jaguar or the Shecter bigsby tele. Someone guide me please

Which one is orange?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Huxley posted:

Set neck, mahogany body with a maple cap, HH: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...rel-fingerboard
Other options: Jim Root Tele, Squier Tornado.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

Ok Comboomer posted:

Which one is orange?

My 2004 squier tele "butterscotch"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Wear tight pants and try them out. Whichever one gives you the biggest erection is the right one.

Also the Bigsby tele. But jaguars give me analysis paralysis, so I'm biased that way. I really want a P bass with just a volume knob though, so if you like chasing tone, don't listen to me.

BonHair fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Dec 29, 2020

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos
Oops, Schecter ordered. First new guitar in 15 years lmao

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

BonHair posted:

That's not a tele. But it's awesome! I love the colour, and, as I've mentioned twice today, ESP is the way to go if you want a Gibson that's actually good. What's the electronics like, passives or actives?

Seymour Duncan Sentient/Pegasus. The lower model has '59/JB which I would prefer but I'm not at a point playing where there's enough difference to hear.

It's used but feels like a steal because it is under a year old and barely played. Allegedly the previous owner saw a holy grail amp at the shop and this was part of the trade in for it.

Here's the quilting, it looks like dragon scales to me :vd:

CHODEGOD420 posted:

Get the bigsby Tele so I can point at it in ridicule.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Bigsby Tele, route a larger cavity in the bridge position, drop in a Filtertron.

Comedy option: Danelectro lipstick pickup in the neck position.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mango sentinel posted:

Seymour Duncan Sentient/Pegasus. The lower model has '59/JB which I would prefer but I'm not at a point playing where there's enough difference to hear.

It's used but feels like a steal because it is under a year old and barely played. Allegedly the previous owner saw a holy grail amp at the shop and this was part of the trade in for it.

Here's the quilting, it looks like dragon scales to me :vd:

Get the bigsby Tele so I can point at it in ridicule.

Hell yeah that's a sick buy.

CHODEGOD420
Oct 27, 2020

by Athanatos

Kazinsal posted:

Bigsby Tele, route a larger cavity in the bridge position, drop in a Filtertron.

Comedy option: Danelectro lipstick pickup in the neck position.

Anyone got tips on adding a monkey grip

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

That's a drat fine purple.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

TwoHeadedDeer posted:

okay, I'm going to give this a shot. might be too stupid to figure out how to cut the splints properly, but we'll see. thanks ya'll

Post some pics of the break

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

jumbo frets? :hmmyes:

can i see the headstock

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just ordered a Behringer SF300 as a late Xmas present to myself. Been listening to way too much crappy late 90s industrial rock (Orgy) and want that gross sound. Looking forward to running synths through it too!

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
These days people use "modelling amp" that plug straight to USB to allow you to more easily record, is that right?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Helianthus Annuus posted:

jumbo frets? :hmmyes:

can i see the headstock

It's an LTD deluxe Viper-1000

Also the strings won't currently touch the fretboard.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

mango sentinel posted:

It's an LTD deluxe Viper-1000

Also the strings won't currently touch the fretboard.

the website says 24 XJ. i guess that means extra jumbo? is that the biggest you can get without a custom shop order?

ok, lets look at the website to see the headstock.... oh no, its got that fail rear end 3+3 gibson-style headstock!

not the end of the world, but it means that the middle two strings will likely get bound up at the nut and give you tuning problems, due to the angle of the break at the nut. especially if you're trying to do bends on those strings. be sure to slather it in nut sauce (somehow thats the actual name for the lube you're supposed to use).

and if you get sick of applying copious amounts of lube, the string butler is supposed to make the problem go away entirely.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Cheese Thief posted:

These days people use "modelling amp" that plug straight to USB to allow you to more easily record, is that right?

ya that can be done, but people also mic their amps with multiple ,icrophones, and mix the signals together to achieve the desired tone

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

Gibson has blues lawyers as a core demographic though, so change is inherently bad.

if you were thinking of asking "why do they keep making headstocks with problematic break angles if its a known problem?" this poster that i'm quoting has your answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
I think the gibson-ish 3x3 headstock is one of the top 3 shapes (aesthetically) 😤

At least it doesn't have the stupid angle.