Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

hello GWS i need some input: is cornflake-coated chicken (thus) a harmless substitution in a pretty typical breaded chicken recipe, or a horrible abomination unto the Lord?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Do whatever the hell you want who cares

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Cornflakes should work alright. I’ve used it as a substitute before. Probably keep an eye on temperature but you should be fine otherwise. Taste won’t be too different but top of the head I think burning will become an issue faster than with breadcrumbs, so you’ll have to balance that with making sure the chicken cooks thru’.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
My mom made cornflake chicken all the time when I was growing up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Scientastic posted:

I’m making a load of pompelmocello, and I now have gallons of grapefruit juice. Because it’s so acidic, I’d assume it would keep for a while, but does anyone know how long I can keep it in the fridge?

I like grapefruit juice, but I think this much will make me really sick to drink in less than a week

It's fresh squeezed, so I wouldn't give it more then a week. I'd freeze it in ice cube trays, have a fantastic seltzer addition, or ice pops for my sour loving mother.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Was just at the last farmers market of the year, and felt so bad for the little old lady running the local beef booth (it's literally freezing out and stupid windy) that I impulse purchased a 3 pound beef heart, even though I've never cooked with it before.

I know I've seen GWS rave about heart (and it was drat cheap), but can't remember what I'm supposed to do with it. I've never had it in a restaurant, even, so I'm pretty drat clueless about what I'm shooting for.

Suggestions? Bear in mind that I seem to be the only goon to not own an Instant Pot. Also, I'm only cooking for two, so ain't no way we're gonna eat 3 pounds of rich cow muscle at once.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I am making the serious eats tonkotsu ramen broth and just started the main boil, i.e. blanched and cleaned the meats, charred the veg and now the whole things boils for hours.

Question: is is really necessary to boil the broth 12 hours? I have about 7 before I go to bed and I don't feel like getting up every 2hrs to check on it. Will 7 hours be enough?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Was just at the last farmers market of the year, and felt so bad for the little old lady running the local beef booth (it's literally freezing out and stupid windy) that I impulse purchased a 3 pound beef heart, even though I've never cooked with it before.

I know I've seen GWS rave about heart (and it was drat cheap), but can't remember what I'm supposed to do with it. I've never had it in a restaurant, even, so I'm pretty drat clueless about what I'm shooting for.

Suggestions? Bear in mind that I seem to be the only goon to not own an Instant Pot. Also, I'm only cooking for two, so ain't no way we're gonna eat 3 pounds of rich cow muscle at once.

Braise it or chop it up for chili or slice it up and kbbq it.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm posting for container advice. Specifically due to :derp: Meal Moths! :derp:

I've dealt with moths before because I use bulk bin grains a lot. I've learned to freeze everything I bring home and all that, and haven't had an outbreak in a long time, but we just had a nasty outbreak. Not sure what the source was, but I've been baking a lot more bread and bringing a lot more unusual flours around from the bulk bins and not always freezing them, so it's probably that. Anyway I've decided to put more things in moth-proof containers on top of the other defenses I use.

I've read many times that threaded lids are the only truly moth-proof container. So I'm trying to figure out what kind of large tubs or bins are out there with a threaded lid, into which I can put nearly everything. I'm talking like, multiple bags of different kinds of nuts, throw them all into one big tub. A bag of sugar and a bag of powdered sugar and a can of baking powder, throw them all in one tub. And then of course there are big bulk items like flours and rice, which will probably just go loose into one of these tubs.

Square or rectangular shapes would be nice for storage, which is why I'm thinking this 1 gallon container:
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-15711/Jars/Plastic-Grip-Jars-1-Gallon

(e: or this one is LDPE instead of PET so it might be more durable over time but it's not see-thru, idk https://www.uline.com/BL_8152/Square-Wide-Mouth-Jars)

but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone who has dealt with this has any thoughts.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Absolutely chili. Pretty sure there's a really comprehensive goon recipe for just that floating around somewhere. Heart is delicious :swoon:

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

alnilam posted:

I've dealt with moths before because I use bulk bin grains a lot. I've learned to freeze everything I bring home and all that, and haven't had an outbreak in a long time, but we just had a nasty outbreak. Not sure what the source was, but I've been baking a lot more bread and bringing a lot more unusual flours around from the bulk bins and not always freezing them, so it's probably that. Anyway I've decided to put more things in moth-proof containers on top of the other defenses I use.

I've read many times that threaded lids are the only truly moth-proof container. So I'm trying to figure out what kind of large tubs or bins are out there with a threaded lid, into which I can put nearly everything. I'm talking like, multiple bags of different kinds of nuts, throw them all into one big tub. A bag of sugar and a bag of powdered sugar and a can of baking powder, throw them all in one tub. And then of course there are big bulk items like flours and rice, which will probably just go loose into one of these tubs.

but I thought I'd post here to see if anyone who has dealt with this has any thoughts.

I like Oxo pop containers because they're easier to wash out, should you eventually feel the need to get in there with soap and water. However, they do cost a lot more.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
How long will store-bought feta in brine keep in the refrigerator?

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Depends on the batch, for me. I've gone up to 3 weeks for some blocks, others were weird after one after opening.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

alnilam posted:

Square or rectangular shapes would be nice for storage, which is why I'm thinking this 1 gallon container:

(e: or this one is LDPE instead of PET so it might be more durable over time but it's not see-thru, idk https://www.uline.com/BL_8152/Square-Wide-Mouth-Jars)

If you don't mind seriously bulk storage, you can get 5 gallon buckets and gamma seal lids from phg.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Casu Marzu posted:

Johnny Truant posted:

Absolutely chili. Pretty sure there's a really comprehensive goon recipe for just that floating around somewhere. Heart is delicious :swoon:

All totally spot on things to do with heart.

Also, it makes fantastic stew-meat in general. I love to chunk it out into 1" cubes, toss the cubes in a mix of flour and paprika and brown them in a little oil. Then I do a rustic stew in a crock-pot with turnips, potatoes, carrot, onion, or whatever else is around and looks good. Add some beef stock and a stout/porter beer for liquid.

It also is a great base for a soup. A beef heart and barley or lentil soup - or do an oxtail soup recipe and sub in the heart.\

Remember to cut out the valves - they can get gristly in a stew. Otherwise it's going to be tender and wonderful.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

alnilam posted:

I've read many times that threaded lids are the only truly moth-proof container.

Surely Kilmer jars are moth-proof?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

These are the containers I make kimchi in.

Sweet Custom Van
Jan 9, 2012

alnilam posted:

Seconding the Oxo pop containers- if you live in an area where you have Home Goods/TJ Maxx/Ross type stores, I find them there reliably at a very low price.

If you want to put large bags of multiple types of things into one big container for storage, that’s great- just get a five gallon bucket at Home Depot for like $5 and leave it in your pantry. Whatever you’re going to keep “out” for daily use can go in large Mason jars- the cheapest and most easy to clean of the threaded-style containers, in my experience. They can be run through the dishwasher, are available in endless sizes, and there are plastic threaded lids you can use instead of the two-piece ring and lid that you’d use to can- easier and a tighter seal.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I've made crock pot carnitas a ton of times, but having an issue.

The shoulder was bigger then normal, so 7 hours wasn't quite enough. But, I had to go out, so I tore it up anyway, even though it took more force then normal. The meat is chilling in the fridge for tomorrow.
I usually crisp them up under the broiler before serving. I have time now, the event isn't until 4 tomorrow. So...

Should I get up tomorrow morning, and dump the carnitas back into the crock pot for two hours or so? Or would that be a waste of time? I want them the normal level of soft.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Just make chilli. Slow cooker or Dutch oven for hours. Heart is amazing.

PONEYBOY
Jul 31, 2013

Top of my head probably a waste of time. You’ll get them slightly softer but the chilling process will affect how the meat breaks down. Do you have access to a pressure cooker?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I have a medium head of cauliflower and a large turnip, and a recently acquired vitamix. How should I go about turning all that into soup? I assume I’ll be adding some cream in there somewhere.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I am making this jambalaya here: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/easy-one-pot-jambalaya/
The only change I made was that I didn't put in shrimp (and added another andouille link).

Will this freeze alright? I think it will, but if it's just going to freeze terribly then I'd rather not even try it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I think next time I swing by the Indian grocery store by me in gonna pick up a container of ginger garlic paste, cause that sounds amazing.

Anything absolutely required to do with it, other than stuff it in my foodhole?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Johnny Truant posted:

I think next time I swing by the Indian grocery store by me in gonna pick up a container of ginger garlic paste, cause that sounds amazing.

Anything absolutely required to do with it, other than stuff it in my foodhole?

Uh, I'm pretty sure you're supposed to cook with it, not eat it straight up.

https://youtu.be/U4zVQxPJmnY

This is actually super legit advice for basic Indian cooking. Low effort super delicious and easily modified fry-up. My (Indian) boyfriend makes Buzzfeed Chicken about once a week.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

QuarkMartial posted:

I am making this jambalaya here: https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/easy-one-pot-jambalaya/
The only change I made was that I didn't put in shrimp (and added another andouille link).

Will this freeze alright? I think it will, but if it's just going to freeze terribly then I'd rather not even try it.

The taste will be the same but it will get more mushy after a thaw. I have reservations with brown rice in jambalaya though.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Looking to put together a showstopper of a dinner. Planning on A5 wagyu ribeye cap and brazilian cheese bread with parmigiano reggiano, fontina, and aged mozarella, finished with bananas foster with homemade vanilla-rum ice cream. Any suggestions for sides to pair here?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Fondant potatoes or pommes pave

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

That Works posted:

The taste will be the same but it will get more mushy after a thaw. I have reservations with brown rice in jambalaya though.

Oh, I also swapped the brown rice for white rice. I didn't think it was relevant wrt freezing it, so I didn't mention it. Turns out, there wasn't really enough leftover to freeze. There's one portion left, but my wife might take it. It did turn out really tasty, though. I mean, I recognize that people from NOLA might not think it authentic, and that's cool with me. For a something interesting and easy to make for my lunches this week, I'll take it.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

Looking to put together a showstopper of a dinner. Planning on A5 wagyu ribeye cap and brazilian cheese bread with parmigiano reggiano, fontina, and aged mozarella, finished with bananas foster with homemade vanilla-rum ice cream. Any suggestions for sides to pair here?

Casu Marzu posted:

Fondant potatoes or pommes pave

I vote pommes pave. Bonus points for seasoning with some good truffle salt.

Also need something bitter/acidic to cut through all that fat. Toss asparagus in oil, salt, lots of pepper. Put under a thoroughly preheated broiler, pull when the tops start to blister/tips blacken, toss with a little lemon juice.

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Nov 12, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I have no idea what Brazilian cheese bread is but I bet it is delicious.

Potatoes Anna or Dauphinois are my go to fancy taters with a roast/steaks, and both are excellent. I like garlicky french beans as a side, or garlicky sauteed spinach. You can get away with creamed spinach if you don't do Dauphinois potatoes-if you do both at one meal it can be cream overload.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pao de queijo, kinda like a cheesy choux pastry shaped cloud

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Doom Rooster posted:

I vote pommes pave. Bonus points for seasoning with some good truffle salt.

Also need something bitter/acidic to cut through all that fat. Toss asparagus in oil, salt, lots of pepper. Put under a thoroughly preheated broiler, pull when the tops start to blister/tips blacken, toss with a little lemon juice.

I second the idea of having some sort of greens with this. Asparagus is good. Some braised kale would also be delicious.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Thanks all. Would asparagus and hollandaise be too rich? Really feeling the need to cut the richness overall, maybe just a citrus and kale salad with almonds? Or just acid and asparagus as Doom Rooster suggests.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

baquerd posted:

Thanks all. Would asparagus and hollandaise be too rich?

Yes. The point is to cut through the richness of the cheese and A5. Hollandaise is super rich.

I get that you want everything to be over the top fancy, but you need something to cut through it all in order to enjoy the richness. Palate cleanser between bites.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

baquerd posted:

Thanks all. Would asparagus and hollandaise be too rich? Really feeling the need to cut the richness overall, maybe just a citrus and kale salad with almonds? Or just acid and asparagus as Doom Rooster suggests.
I've done a really great salad with shredded carrots and arugula tossed with lemon juice and good olive oil and salt and pepper that might be good too. It's in Marcella Hazan somewhere and its light and refreshing and delicious for being so simple. Keep the vegetable light and clean in any case-bitter/acid is what you need. You really can over egg the pudding.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

If you wanna go all out with a green veg, get a pile of fava beans and peel them yourself :v:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Beef heart is also the proper meat for Coney Island style hot dog chili.

C-Euro posted:

My wife got laid off this week, and I'm coming to you all for advice on how to cook in bulk to save money, while also maintaining a good level of variety. She's never been the type to cook one big pot of something and eat it all week, and while she acknowledges that she's going to have to learn that skill now I still want to be able to make her a few different things throughout the week to keep her spirits up while she job-hunts. My first thought was to get a bunch of meat at a bulk discount, slow cook and shred it on the weekend, and then mix that into whatever I cook during the week. Another idea would just be spend all day Sunday cooking two or three big pots of something, portioning them out into the freezer, and then telling her to just grab what she wants during the week. Any other ideas I could try?

A whole chicken is cheap and there’s a million ways to prepare it. You can cut up multiple birds on Sunday, saving the fat trimmings for shmaltz, the giblets and carcass for stock, and *chefs kiss* fried chicken livers for breakfast.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I'm trying to be better about saving money.

I travel for work each week, and I get a food per diem that I keep if I don't use it, so I want to start packing lunches. Luckily I only travel in-state, so its all via car, no planes.

Caveats being:

1. My first day of travel each week I'm usually leaving the house around 8am and heading directly to the place I'll be working. Food thus has to be OK in a cooler until I get to the hotel that night.

2. I'm in hotels, most of which don't have more than a microwave so no cooking on site.

3. I'm usually home by dinnertime on day 3.

Most of the time the hotels have a free breakfast, although I get an extra $11/day if the hotel doesn't offer one. (or put another way, the hotel breakfast costs $11 :v:)

Any thoughts? I'll eat literally anything, I like to cook, and I'm trying to be healthy about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Annath posted:

I'm trying to be better about saving money.

I travel for work each week, and I get a food per diem that I keep if I don't use it, so I want to start packing lunches. Luckily I only travel in-state, so its all via car, no planes.

Caveats being:

1. My first day of travel each week I'm usually leaving the house around 8am and heading directly to the place I'll be working. Food thus has to be OK in a cooler until I get to the hotel that night.

2. I'm in hotels, most of which don't have more than a microwave so no cooking on site.

3. I'm usually home by dinnertime on day 3.

Most of the time the hotels have a free breakfast, although I get an extra $11/day if the hotel doesn't offer one. (or put another way, the hotel breakfast costs $11 :v:)

Any thoughts? I'll eat literally anything, I like to cook, and I'm trying to be healthy about it.

Nearly anything will last all day in a cooler IMO.

My first thought is make a big ol pot of hearty soup and freeze it in pints or quarts, whatever a serving size is for you. Bring a loaf of nice bread and maybe some cheese. Hard-ish cheeses last pretty well even without refrigeration, they'll certainly be okay in a cooler with jars of soup ice.

But two days in a row at a time and every week, you'll get sick of soup. So maybe mix the soup idea with some other stuff. Cook a meal each Sunday night that makes for good leftovers and pack it for Monday night, then eat the soup Tuesday, and you're home Wednesday.