Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Arglebargle III posted:

I did appreciate the gaming food decision to make Sara Ryder look more or less unremarkable.

Gaming Food, for all of its myriad of faults, actually went out of its way to not have all the women look like fetish stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

I thought the default faces in Andromeda were quite good, it's too bad about the rest of the game tho

and so well animated too

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cowcaster posted:

and so well animated too

Ah, well, nevertheless

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Burkion posted:

Gaming Food, for all of its myriad of faults, actually went out of its way to not have all the women look like fetish stars

Well unless your fetish involves people with potato faces

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

Look, we both know there's people into anything

I should have said 'conventionally attractive' but that has its own issues

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Remembering the argument that a Short Haired Femshep = Lesbian made me also remember that one guy who had an extreme hatred for Cassandra in Dragon Age Inquisition because she also had short hair and was therefore a butch lesbian.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Burkion posted:

Look, we both know there's people into anything

I should have said 'conventionally attractive' but that has its own issues

How many times did Lance Henriksen end up saying the word "conventional" in Mass Effect 3

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Remembering the argument that a Short Haired Femshep = Lesbian made me also remember that one guy who had an extreme hatred for Cassandra in Dragon Age Inquisition because she also had short hair and was therefore a butch lesbian.

And then all the actual lesbians bitching because Cassandra was straight.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cythereal posted:

And then they immediately repeated that with Cora in MEA.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Asari commando Cora, the asari commando, wo served as an asari commando with asari commandos.

Okay, so the game actually had *three* different asari faces, not just two :haw:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Cythereal posted:

To be fair that game's actual (exclusively) lesbian romance was loving Sera. I'd be pissed too if she was my sole point of representation.

At least Josephine also exists.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DrNutt posted:

And then they immediately repeated that with Cora in MEA.

it was such a bizarre role reversal of pre judging character's sexual orientation based on their appearance

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Now that Corona is putting everyone into lockdown, maybe I'll get around to finishing ME:A

I won't

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

Now that Corona is putting everyone into lockdown, maybe I'll get around to finishing ME:A

I won't
As long as you don't play Anthem :downs:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

At least Josephine also exists.

She never once refers to the PC with feminine pronouns or calls her a woman. Neither does Suvi in Andromeda. Hooray gender-neutral writing, even for Andromeda's exclusively lesbian character!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's about ethics in gamer food pronouns

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arglebargle III posted:

It's about ethics in gamer food pronouns

It is rather jarring when a homosexual relationship never acknowledges that it's homosexual, and never once mentions the gender of one of the pair.

And do not for a moment start up the "Well, why should gay relationships talk about being gay? Isn't it a sign of progress?" poo poo.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I just refinished playing the trilogy. ME2 was less entertaining than I remember despite the strength of the individual stories. There's no overall narrative and no real hook into the next game. You blow up/neutron bomb the collector base and just move on. I'm not sure how they could have kept the episodic thing and collectors and included something like the catalyst as the hook, however. Oh well.

In ME3 I realized that we're never given any reason not to kill the Reapers. Here we have these giant repositories of species long harvested, with Legion describing how their thoughts are immense and awe-inspiring, and we don't get a glimpse of that or what it means to kill one. An interesting twist to add would have been that destroying a Reaper is the genocide of a species that had been preserved. The organic vs synthetic conflict point was always stupid, and I'd prefer if the Reapers were gardeners that harvested the advanced races to make room for the primitive races to grow and flourish. The galaxy, like a tree, needs to be pruned if it is to be kept healthy.

Then the star child could have been a Russian babushka talking about canning and saving for the lean times, and we are the fresh veggies that need to be prepped. She pats Shepard on the head, twinkle in her eye, and says "But everyone has to live their life and make their choice" as you decide between canned peaches (destroy) and canned cauliflower (control). Synthesis doesn't make sense and has no canning equivalent, maybe it means moving on to fermentation.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Canned cauliflower is not gamer food

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Pickled cauliflower is delicious tho.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

no u

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
ya'll bringing up Gaming Food character names as if anyone remembers a single character from that game lmao

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
All cauliflower is terrible

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

:guillotine:

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Iron Crowned posted:

This kind of close minded negativity is why gamer food is so bland and monochrome.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Admiral Ray posted:

Pickled cauliflower is delicious tho.

Pickled cauliflower is of the things that makes giardinerra great!

Giard is great on everything, and is vegetarian and probably vegan. You can put it on a cheese pizza and make it a good pizza instead, for instance.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Moola posted:

Just playing through the whole of oblivion at full mast.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D12n35evy0Y

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
….now I kind of want to replay ME:A and see what I think about it a second time through.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

TheCenturion posted:

….now I kind of want to replay ME:A and see what I think about it a second time through.
If you do that, there are a bunch of good mods on https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectandromeda that make the game noticeably better in certain areas (Nomad buffs, jetpack buffs, minimized/removed loading screens for the Tempest and doors in Kadara, some stuff to make crafting/R&D better).

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

orcane posted:

If you do that, there are a bunch of good mods on https://www.nexusmods.com/masseffectandromeda that make the game noticeably better in certain areas (Nomad buffs, jetpack buffs, minimized/removed loading screens for the Tempest and doors in Kadara, some stuff to make crafting/R&D better).

is there a mod that gives the asari and angara more than one or two faces

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
probably not :shrug:

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I’m never going to play Andromeda but did they ever explain why they brought the krogan? We’re going to explore a new land where we’ll be cut off and alone with no support; better bring the genocidal maniacs!!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

poisonpill posted:

I’m never going to play Andromeda but did they ever explain why they brought the krogan? We’re going to explore a new land where we’ll be cut off and alone with no support; better bring the genocidal maniacs!!

if you wanna be the one to tell em they can't come, be my guest

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Ainsley McTree posted:

if you wanna be the one to tell em they can't come, be my guest

send them a message as you speed away at turbo speed to another galaxy

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
There's a seed of a good game in here. I like the concept. If this had just been some brand-new IP called 'The Andromeda Initiative' or something, it probably would have been a lot better received. Christ, it writes itself; follow the intro basically as-is, then explain that when SAM integrated with young Ryder, while young Ryder was dying, young Ryder lost parts of their memory. This is why they have to walk up to people and ask basic questions about things that they should already know about, but the player doesn't.

Then roll on with the core concept; being an imperialistic colonial power steamrolling over the natives and establishing hegemony and exploitation.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I really miss playing Mass Effect :(

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

DarkHorse posted:

I really miss playing Mass Effect :(

Really hoping Cyberpunk scratches the itch!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's the only game I'm excited about (besides animal crossing :toot:)

I just miss flying around the galaxy with my space bros discovering cool stuff :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I hadn't watched the 48 minutes of gameplay until a few days ago and goddamn. I haven't been excited for a game in years and years.