Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
According do BMW it was a autonomous driving test vehicle but only had the standard Level 2 autonomy hardware installed. It was only a test car in the sense that BMW is using it to collect sensor and camera data. They say that they are currently not testing Level 3 on public roads. Looks like the test vehicles can be used by employees as normal company cars when they arent using them for tests. So it was probably just some BMW employee showing a fancy car to his family. No word if any sort of autonomous driving was involved in the crash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Shai-Hulud posted:

According do BMW it was a autonomous driving test vehicle but only had the standard Level 2 autonomy hardware installed. It was only a test car in the sense that BMW is using it to collect sensor and camera data. They say that they are currently not testing Level 3 on public roads. Looks like the test vehicles can be used by employees as normal company cars when they arent using them for tests. So it was probably just some BMW employee showing a fancy car to his family. No word if any sort of autonomous driving was involved in the crash.

Much like teslas, they shut the autonomous features off .00000000000000000002432 seconds before a crash is detected that way the driver has plenty of time to take control and use evasive action to avoid crashing. Clearly the driver was at fault here.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Much like teslas, they shut the autonomous features off .00000000000000000002432 seconds before a crash is detected that way the driver has plenty of time to take control and use evasive action to avoid crashing. Clearly the driver was at fault here.

Yeah, generally the warning beep and the driver's scream collide in midair inside the car and cancel each other out.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

insta posted:

Yeah, generally the warning beep and the driver's scream collide in midair inside the car and cancel each other out.

that's what the bmw sound pipe does, it's a driver scream's standing wave.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The bmw ix is the ugliest car made in the last 20 years

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
After reading all this, I think I'm the only Model 3 owner whose car has not tried to violently murder anybody.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Not saying that autonomous driving wasn't involved in the crash but there really isn't any way to know right now. Could have just as well been a guy showing off a fancy car and losing control in a corner cause he wasn't used to the way an EV accelerates.
Its just a bit overly dramatic to report it as an "autonomous driving test vehicle" when it doesn't really differ from a regular BMW iX except for some stickers on the side.

And yes, the iX ist an incredibly ugly and pointless car.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

After reading all this, I think I'm the only Model 3 owner whose car has not tried to violently murder anybody.

Give it time. Besides, how do you know that it won't try murdering you by bursting into flames?

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

better watch you 6 bud, I saw that model 3 assembling a ghost gun last weekend.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Wild EEPROM posted:

Nissan Juke, Nissan cube.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Wild EEPROM posted:

My man, the mk1 fiat multipla stopped being produced in 2003.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Wild EEPROM posted:

Honda Element

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Honda Crosstour
Nissan Murano Cabriolet
Toyota Mirai

Elements are functionally cool and good

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dr.Smasher posted:

Elements are functional good

Not false, but they, along with the other "boxes on wheels": Cube, Soul, Sky-on XB or XD or whatever the gently caress, etc... ugly "af".

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

:wrong:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Dr.Smasher posted:

Nissan Murano Cabriolet

Wraps back around to good.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Safety Dance posted:

No, no it does not.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Safety Dance posted:

Only if it does around a pole or any other road obstacle.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I saw a mirano cabriolet in the wild for the first time a few weeks ago and literally said "what the christ" out loud.

It's still not as ugly as the Juke.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Safety Dance posted:

The Aztec does that. The Muran-abriolet (Cabrio-rano?) does not.

shame on an IGA posted:

I saw a mirano cabriolet in the wild for the first time a few weeks ago and literally said "what the christ" out loud.

Agreed. Both are awful. Nissan has made some real stinkers in the past decade.

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Chevy uplander

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

quote:

A whole lot of wrong opinions

Come on! It's like the barbie dream jeep in a universe where there was no such thing as a jeep!

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S

Safety Dance posted:

Come on! It's like the barbie dream jeep in a universe where there was no such thing as a jeep!

Someone send this to Nissan, we might have just found someone willing to buy the 5th one.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

Correct, but in this world there are Jeeps.

The Element is ugly as poo poo but I have to say, my friends Jack and Brenna have two and they're very functional vehicles. I wish I'd bought a beater Element or CR-V in 2014 not the Forester I ended up with, I would have spent 2014-2020 in a much better place both mentally and economically.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Everytime I see a Murano Cross Cabriolet I always point it out to anyone I'm with.

And sometimes I tell them of the one day I saw two of them on opposite sides of town.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

shame on an IGA posted:

I saw a Range Rover Evoque convertible at a golf course restaurant a while back. I didn't know they existed until then, and had to point it out to my wife and marvel at it's majesty awkwardness.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Darchangel posted:

I saw a Range Rover Evoque convertible at a golf course restaurant a while back. I didn't know they existed until then, and had to point it out to my wife and marvel at it's majesty awkwardness.

its a tiny car inside too. smaller than a modern golf inside and way, way bigger exterior

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A
reminds me of those harbor freight jackstands

it's so funny the next jack is exactly the same design, but the welds are better and everything is aligned. I guess the bad one was from the reject bin from same factory.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Aug 21, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LifeSunDeath posted:

it's so funny the next jack is exactly the same design, but the welds are better and everything is aligned. I guess the bad one was from the reject bin from same factory.

That or a different factory working to the same design but cutting corners in production.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Read: Poorly Made in China. It was an eye opener for me. Quality fade is a serious problem, and it's always on the purchaser to catch it. One story from the book was that they were making shampoo and all of a sudden the boxes of product started collapsing and leaking. It turns out their Chinese packaging company had thinned out the wall thickness of the plastic bottles to save money. It hadn't been an issue in the winter, but the summer heat softened the plastic just enough...

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

LifeSunDeath posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5_64r2PR7A
reminds me of those harbor freight jackstands

There’s no reject bin. Only a lower brand bin.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

CarForumPoster posted:

Which is the brand lower than hazard fraud?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Harbor Freight

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

E: nvm

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 22, 2022

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Ah they've made it to 1970s Britsh and American manufacturing.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 22, 2022

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

E: nvm

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 22, 2022

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Which is the brand lower than hazard fraud?

Husky, Esco, etc, apparently.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

I worked with a guy who had once upon a time worked for a company supplying GM with body panels. He was a brand new quality engineer for a line making hoods. A hood comes off, he inspects it, marks all the defects, red tags it, and goes to toss it in the scrap bin. Boss comes over, "Whoa, whoa! What are you doing with that hood?!"
"Scrapping it out. It's got too many defects."
"No, no. It's got too many defects for production. That's an aftermarket hood."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Read: Poorly Made in China. It was an eye opener for me. Quality fade is a serious problem, and it's always on the purchaser to catch it. One story from the book was that they were making shampoo and all of a sudden the boxes of product started collapsing and leaking. It turns out their Chinese packaging company had thinned out the wall thickness of the plastic bottles to save money. It hadn't been an issue in the winter, but the summer heat softened the plastic just enough...

Seconding this book. It's a great read.

I think the one for me was when they started under filling the bottles and did just not get the concept that 10oz that claims 12oz = sued into the ground.