Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It's to maintain service metrics during the busiest hours. The minimum wage rising thing is just to depress wages and spread fear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skippy Granola posted:

I thought they were able to eliminate a couple of front-facing cashier positions per store? If not, I'll need to re-evaluate business' response to the minimum wage hike.

The kiosks actually lead to one or two more positions being added per store. They're called Guest Experience Leaders, they take care of the dining room and help with/get people to use the kiosks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
It's more likely McDonalds will replace the people that cook burgers with machines completely replace cashiers

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Man you guys really bought that Mcdonalds PR campaign hook line and sinker.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
In any of the restaurants I worked in if labor totalled up to 25 percent for the day, people started getting sent home early.

Also, McDonald's is the 'famous' exploiter of TFW labor and for reference typically pay about 10-15 percent of their sales in royalties to McD's corparate. (in comparison, Subway is usually 8-10 i think and Domino's and Pizza Hut are 4-5)

It was also, I'm pretty sure, McD's franchisee's that were also renting living space to their TFW's at pretty gross rates, so even if they kept their labor costs to industry standard they were getting a pretty slick deal.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

the burgers are already cooked by machines actually, lol

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

RBC posted:

Man you guys really bought that Mcdonalds PR campaign hook line and sinker.

Well thank gracious I have D&D to set me straight

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

EvilJoven posted:

I refuse to use those kiosks out of spite.

In general nobody should be eating at McDonalds in the first place but sometimes their garbage food just hits the spot.

I basically just go when my friends want to go and that's it, if I want fast food there's like a billion better places

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I always use kiosks, just to spite low wage Canadian assholes

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
can't wait till overpaid, pill-thieving, prescription misreading pharmacists are replaced by kiosks : twisted:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

I always use kiosks, just to spite low wage Canadian assholes

You're a lawyer, right CI?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Number of times I've received useful information from a pharmacist:

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

namaste faggots posted:

Number of times I've received useful information from a pharmacist:

A pharmacist has prevented me from getting a seizure so I don't know if I'd say they're useless.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
And I keep giving these motherfuckers chances to redeem their loving profession.

Each time they open the box and read the instructions. Thanks rear end in a top hat I could have done that myself to find out if infant ibuprofen will make my kid bleed out

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/crtc-zero-rating-differential-pricing-decision-videtron-net-neutrality-2017-1.4077717

The CRTC does something good, ISPs/carriers can no longer do "zero rating".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Good decision, but I wish they'd finally go whole hog and mandate unlimited data.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I use the kiosks because for whatever reason the one I sometimes hit up for an egg mcmuffin, always like 2/3rds of the people are still queuing up to order at the counter and I'm just like beep beep boop and get my poo poo and out the door before some of them have even paid.

I'm an enemy of the revolution. I can accept this to get my food 5 minutes faster than grandpa who is wary of the robot and wants to pay with carefully counted coins.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
ethical consumerism is bullshit anyway. like it makes a difference if you use a kiosk or not. mcdonalds is going to gently caress over its workers and make money one way or another

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
If you use coupons on the kiosk it uses the price of the first selection for buy one get one free

I think I spent $2.50 on 2 sausage mc muffins and medium fries last week, a great feast

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Libs libbing: Pot edition, or how we managed to reinforce white supremacy by very carefully legalizing pot.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 26, 2018

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

It was a reference to the Liberals sending lackeys to spy on NDP youth meetings.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

James Baud posted:

So the first BC leaders debate was this morning, I learned from the Greens' mailing list and all I really know about it is that some people (Liberal supporters, online) are pushing really hard on a "Horgan = misogynist" line since he more or less verbatim told her to "do your little thing, I'll watch you, I know you like that".

Given utter silence here, I assume it wasn't a strong performance for anyone beyond that self inflicted damage.

Horgan actually did great, other than getting heated about being slighted on speaking time which is fair, the moderation was awful. Christy was brutally terrible ugh gently caress her so much and Weaver wasn't anything special imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SYavgIdUDY

e: aaahaahahaha go to 32:02

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 21, 2017

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let's be real, once Horgan is elected he's gonna be as big a piece of poo poo as Christy

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

namaste faggots posted:

Let's be real, once Horgan is elected he's gonna be as big a piece of poo poo as Christy

Well yeah but throw the bums out buys a year or two of relatively corruption free government before the new guys become as bad as the old guys.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
Lurker posting :ninja:

I got my dream job and I'm moving from Vancouver to Toronto. What are any adroit and sarcastic takes about life there any goons have to offer? My best friend and a brother live there so I have some vague notions about awful Toronto politics, lovely bike lanes, too many hipster coffee shops etc, what else.

I know far more than I care to about Leafs fans, so you can skip that part.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Toronto is pretty great actually! There's a lot to bitch about but it's a real world class city now whereas 15-20 years ago it was a wannabe.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Heliogabalos posted:

I got my dream job and I'm moving from Vancouver to Toronto. What are any adroit and sarcastic takes about life there any goons have to offer? My best friend and a brother live there so I have some vague notions about awful Toronto politics, lovely bike lanes, too many hipster coffee shops etc, what else.

Traffic sucks, especially with the Bay/Bloor/Yonge exit shut for the rest of the year
John Tory is a developer fuckboy
Cops like to stop you and ask you questions if you happen to be not white
STAY OUTTA PARKDALE

Welcome to Turannah you'll be a jaded gently caress in no time

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Toronto: drive aggressively but politely.

It's a bit unnerving coming from Out West to drive in Toronto. Drivers like to show their intentions by shoving the front end of the car out into traffic. Try that in Calgary, you'll lose your bumper. In T.O., traffic slows a tiny bit and gives you 5 to 10 milliseconds to prove you're paying attention. On the 401, 'undertaking' - getting passed on the right - is gonna happen, pretty much continuously. B-train transports - two long trailers behind a transcontinental prime mover - will weave between the tourists at 140km/h, and hardly anyone bats an eye. You can get away with cutting somebody off in the far right lane, but if you slow down in the far left you will get a Mercedes kissing your rear bumper (or an Audi nudging you from the boulevard shoulder). If you can show your commitment to the art, you can start parallel parking and following traffic will give you just enough room. For about 10 seconds, so get on it.

The biggest driving difference between Vancouver and Toronto is the douchebags in Vancouver are easy to spot in their ridiculous cars. In Toronto, they could be driving anything.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Hey guys, my family made national news!

Simon Nakonechny is live in Rigaud as one family sandbags to save their home. My sister being the only presentable member of my family is the one representing our ~heroic struggle~.

I got a selfie with Simon.

That house was recently constructed there, hopefully they were told this was a floodzone.

Where a bunch of adventurers failed, climate change succeeded in bringing down the mighty gazeebo.

The take away I have is that climate change is apparently real, and maybe I should write a letter to my MP.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

After 2016 i just feel like debates are pointless. They're rarely fair, they're not informative, they don't resolve anything, the reactions and takes are all bullshit, like who honestly cares

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Heliogabalos posted:

It sucks. No mountains, no ocean. Also the people are about as terrible as Vancouver, but in a different way. Enjoy.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Also our basement is flooded and I just opened the backwater valve cover which was submerged by like a foot of water to drain the basement. Good thing we had it installed, the pit in which the backwater valve is found is like a foot below the rest of the basement so it acts as a ghetto sump.

But Dundas is literally under water.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

THC posted:

After 2016 i just feel like debates are pointless. They're rarely fair, they're not informative, they don't resolve anything, the reactions and takes are all bullshit, like who honestly cares

But candidate X was the winner of the debate according to some random criteria and this is incredibly important to tell people because it has so much bearing on everything.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Heliogabalos posted:

Toronto is fine, there's lots to do, presumably if it's your dream job you'll be making decent money so you won't spend half your income on one room in a basement apartment. Don't buy a condo.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce
/\/\/\ yeah I can afford to rent a decent place, I was reading about that

MA-Horus posted:

Traffic sucks, especially with the Bay/Bloor/Yonge exit shut for the rest of the year
John Tory is a developer fuckboy
Cops like to stop you and ask you questions if you happen to be not white
STAY OUTTA PARKDALE

Welcome to Turannah you'll be a jaded gently caress in no time

Is Parkdale an inside joke?

And thanks all but I don't drive, I'm a cyclist so winter is going to be fun (I lived in Edmonton for a decade so I'll be fine). I forgot about carding in Toronto, I'm white but my girlfriend is black so that's all kinds of hosed up.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Heliogabalos posted:

And thanks all but I don't drive, I'm a cyclist so winter is going to be fun (I lived in Edmonton for a decade so I'll be fine). I forgot about carding in Toronto, I'm white but my girlfriend is black so that's all kinds of hosed up.

Transit in Toronto is okay so you should be fine in the winter as long as your home and work are five minutes from a subway or streetcar line. TTC buses suck rear end

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heliogabalos posted:

I'm a cyclist

:rip:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys give evil jobcentre poo poo for moving to Winnipeg but you all act like moving to Toronto is a better idea?

Unless you're making at least 90th percentile for your line of work, loving lol

Torontonians are as bad if not worse human garbage than vancouverites

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Heliogabalos posted:

Enjoy eating poo poo and dying when your bike wheel drops in to a street car track. Or when you rear end someone pulling in to the bike lane. Or when someone right or left hooks you. Or when someone just randomly runs you off the road.