Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Looks like Champion...good.

Upper tier Fram stuff gets a bad rap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Selling my girlfriend's car; I work from home and she works in the office so I'm going to be the contact person for most meetings. Can I have her pre-sign the back of the title so I can close the deal with a buyer, or are there downsides to that (besides it looking shady)? I assume I'd just date it when the deal was done.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

blk posted:

Selling my girlfriend's car; I work from home and she works in the office so I'm going to be the contact person for most meetings. Can I have her pre-sign the back of the title so I can close the deal with a buyer, or are there downsides to that (besides it looking shady)? I assume I'd just date it when the deal was done.

The danger is that once the title is signed, anybody can fill in the date and their name and it's their car. Be sure to keep it safe.

Some states require title transfers to be notarized. Clarify the rules for your state.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

blk posted:

The answer to this will vary wildly based on where you live.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I got a 2014 VW Beetle and currently the seatbelt chime on the driver's side keeps going off even though I have the seatbelt plugged in. Sometimes the chime light goes away for a little bit if I move the seat around and sometimes it comes back. I suspect there's probably loose or exposed wiring somewhere causing the issue but I don't know for sure. It's hard to get under the seat to check.

I did schedule a service appointment with my dealer but it's not for a couple weeks as they're pretty booked up. Anything I can do to troubleshoot this to try to maintain my sanity in the meantime? Hearing that chime constantly while driving is an immense source of frustration lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

don't take a 2014 vehicle to a dealership unless it's for recall work, dealers charge way way above market rate
take your car to an independent mechanic for better much cheaper service

anyway with an ODB2 plug-in reader/programmer thingy you can disable the chime, but I think the exact procedure will depend on what reader you have, what app on your phone you use, and exact model info. I found this video which may or may not work for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auoBC-a2M-4

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

don't take a 2014 vehicle to a dealership unless it's for recall work, dealers charge way way above market rate
take your car to an independent mechanic for better much cheaper service

anyway with an ODB2 plug-in reader/programmer thingy you can disable the chime, but I think the exact procedure will depend on what reader you have, what app on your phone you use, and exact model info. I found this video which may or may not work for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auoBC-a2M-4

Thanks yeah I would like to find a good independent mechanic. I wish I knew one. I used to, but they stopped doing it sadly.

I thought about getting an OBD reader or Vag-com but not experienced with using them so was semi worried about loving something up. Also even if I do disable the chime I guess there's the possibility that there's frayed wiring down there. If I'm not mistaken the airbag wiring and seatbelt chime wiring are kinda near the same spot more or less so I guess maybe something I should have looked at just in case.

Hoping it won't end up being a giant pain in the rear end to fix because I'm currently unemployed and it would be a sore blow to spend lots of money fixing this.

I did do some experimenting and found a seat position where the chime doesn't seem to go off. Seems like a temporary workaround at least. Hoping it lasts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
If the airbag wire has any issue it will pop a SRS light on your dash. I wouldnt worry about that too much.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”
02 Civic Ex, battery light is flickering, Voltage is 12.1V at rest and 11.9(!!!) while running. Belt was squealing for a while before this, stopped around when the battery light went on. Took it to a local shop, they said the alternator is bad, then also the belt, changed both (alternator is visually shiny, belt is definitely new), they test drove it for 30 minutes, came back and gave me a car that was behaving exactly the same for $600.
They told me the new alternator is bad, they're trying to get a new one by the end of the day. Hopefully they were right and I get a new alternator and everything is fixed, I understand new parts quality is awful these days and lots of people are getting burned.

If that is not the case, and something else is wrong with the car, do I have any recourse if they try to charge me for additional parts/labor beyond the mechanic trying to make things right? And at what point should I just take the car back from them and find someone else? Also any ideas on what else might be wrong?

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

I'd start with letting them install the new alternator. If that doesn't fix it demand they put the old one back on, get a refund, and go elsewhere. Belt too. "Put it back how it was"

They won't like it but be insistent and let them know you'll give a detailed review on Google maps if they don't.

New bad parts are a thing but the proper step 1 is testing before ordering new parts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Have you uh changed the 12v battery

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the clock spring. Like a year ago my airbag light lit up. Everything else on the steering wheel worked fine until gradually it didn't. First the cruise control stopped working. Then recently the horn stopped working and that's a major issue because I live in NJ. My question is, will my airbag still work if I get into an accident or is it basically disabled until I get the clock spring replaced?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Charliegrs posted:

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier. I'm pretty sure I need to replace the clock spring. Like a year ago my airbag light lit up. Everything else on the steering wheel worked fine until gradually it didn't. First the cruise control stopped working. Then recently the horn stopped working and that's a major issue because I live in NJ. My question is, will my airbag still work if I get into an accident or is it basically disabled until I get the clock spring replaced?

Assume it is disabled.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Where is the AI Slack? I saw the rules thread mentions one but it only says to use a specific channel to bug the mods.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life
So I need help identifying a car. But I dont have a picture of it. Long story is - I have seen this car around town a couple of times, but I havent been able to catch the name/emblem. Its been stuck in my head. Im sure this is a long shot and I am an idiot but here goes anyway:

It is a sports car - low to the ground, two doors. Maroon in color. The body style slightly reminded me of a Ford GT40. The most unique thing about it, and probably the only chance it can be identified, is it has a unique rear. Essentially, the license plate is in the middle, of the rear, I.e. not hanging on the bumper. What looks like two exhaust holes are then on either side of the license plate (one on each side), which tells me it is a mid or rear engine car. If it has a lower exhaust, I didnt see it. But two definitive holes in the back.

For the life of me I cant find poo poo.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 24, 2024

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Marklar posted:

So I need help identifying a car. But I dont have a picture of it. Long story is - I have seen this car around town a couple of times, but I havent been able to catch the name/emblem. Its been stuck in my head. Im sure this is a long shot and I am an idiot but here goes anyway:

It is a sports car - low to the ground, two doors. Maroon in color. Three body style slightly reminded me of a Ford GT40. The most unique thing about it, and probably the only chance it can be identified, is it has a unique rear. Essentially, the license plate is in the middle, of the rear, I.e. not hanging on the bumper. What looks like two exhaust holes are then on either side of the license plate (one on each side), which tells me it is a mid or rear engine car. If it has a lower exhaust, I didnt see it. But two definitive holes in the back.

For the life of me I cant find poo poo.

Factory Five GTM

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

Powershift posted:

Factory Five GTM

Dude I think thats it! Lmao. Thanks. Its been bugging me forever. I wouldve never have gotten that on my own; never even heard of them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I was going to guess Pantera.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
34 year old engine has oil leaks for some reason.

I cleaned this area 2-3 weeks ago to see how bad it is. I don't see any oil drops in my parking spot at work and this is what it looks like on the area I cleaned. This is the gearbox which is bolted onto the engine and the gearbox is also the oil pan for the engine. The Saab B202 engine is pretty weird I guess.

Removed from the engine, bottom left area where the transfer case is bolted to the main box is where I suspect it leaks. But perhaps it's coming from higher up and making it's way down, camshaft on the engine is often a leak source. Hard for me to tell. Been looking at the dipstick on the gearbox and it doesn't seem to be going down.

Based on the above image I'm leaning towards this being engine oil and not gearbox oil. I need to wash off the entire engine and not just this spot though.

e: gently caress I forgot to ask something. I guess my question is, do you agree with my theory on the source of the leak?

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 09:07 on May 24, 2024

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

VelociBacon posted:

I was going to guess Pantera.

That's the first thing I thought.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Marklar posted:

Dude I think that’s it! Lmao. Thanks. It’s been bugging me forever. I would’ve never have gotten that on my own; never even heard of them.

They're neat. It's a kit car. Factory 5 supplies the chassis, body, and suspension. You source your own engine and transmission and assemble it yourself. Then register it as a homemade car.

If you've seen a Shelby cobra driving around it's probably one of their kits.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Another cool one they do is their F150/Raptor clone kit.

https://www.factoryfive.com/xtf/

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

^ would be sick to build a custom Baja freak using that chassis.

Marklar
Jul 24, 2003

Ball is Love
Ball is Life

honda whisperer posted:

They're neat. It's a kit car. Factory 5 supplies the chassis, body, and suspension. You source your own engine and transmission and assemble it yourself. Then register it as a homemade car.

If you've seen a Shelby cobra driving around it's probably one of their kits.

I see that they are located in MA, which I'm also in, so it lends credence to this. The body from what I can recall looks similar to the image you posted above but slightly different. The next time I see it in 6 months I'll try to snap a pic.

Marklar fucked around with this message at 15:36 on May 24, 2024

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Hey everyone!! Here's an opportunity to berate me for being gullible and (maybe) falling for marketing hype!!

Whats y'alls opinion on this:

https://www.theautopian.com/cummins-has-a-super-fancy-oil-meant-to-kick-engine-rebuilds-down-the-road-heres-how-it-works/

The gist of that article is, Cummins built an engine that was noted for high oil consumption which sometimes necessitated overhauls early (before the warranty expired).
Naturally they wanted to make it so the overhauls came later (after the warranty expired) so they partnered with Valvoline and came up with a "special" oil that is supposed to reduce oil consumption by doing amuch better job of cleaning sludge deposits than just dumping a can of seafoam or whatever the gently caress in the crank case.

It was allegedly successful in this endeavour and those engines have been discontinued. Maybe they were discontinued for other reasons besides drinking oil. Also the oil itself was discontinued.

However, they have now introduced a "Gen 2" oil and one that will be available for cars.

https://shop.valvolineglobal.com/products/restore-protect-full-synthetic-motor-oil-sae-0w-20

Perhaps this will be a good product to help with cars that have oil consumption issues.

The way I see it, is if it works then maybe its a good way to start over. If a car burns oil and this stops it from happening you've got a chance to do things better. Like don't make so many short trips, or if you do, change the oil more frequently etc..

Anyway, just thought I'd toss that out there. Feel free to berate me, tell me i'm a gullible fool and why my dad should have pulled out or whatever.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I would like to see some real-world data rather than just marketing hype, but it sounds promising.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I'm not directly involved in oil but it is combustion-adjacent so I occasionally see some fuel/lubrication stuff and there is a lot that goes on.

I would very much believe what they say in general terms. I have no doubt that it is an oil that is intended to remove carbon deposits but the devil is always in the details and so what I would be curious about is it's effectiveness in specific vehicles/engines rather than "is this real or fake."

I am likewise also curious about the effect on the aftertreatment system but it may be that you only need to do an oil change with it once and then you can go back to regular oil, in which case I doubt it'll do much to your aftertreatment system.

edit: let me clarify that I'm not THAT worried about the aftertreatment system because as lovely and as greedy as these companies can be, they do not (usually... hahahahahaha, you don't really have to say anything) gently caress around with knowingly ruining emissions-related stuff. Usually. But especially if there's potential physical evidence.

totalnewbie fucked around with this message at 20:06 on May 25, 2024

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Im a computer toucher that works in drag racing and caught the bug.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic Sedan 4dr CVT LX, can I get a KTuner kit and make more horsepower?

I just wanna put up funny numbers at wild Wednesdays and maybe make new friends.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

You can just run quarter miles with your stock civic at first to get a baseline. This will also absolutely make a few guys talk to you because its a relatively small community, and theyre all passionate about making their cars go fast.

In fact, if you do a couple drag race nights, youll almost certainly get better advice on how to mod your car than in general here.

That said, and with the caveat that Im no Honda guy, the basics are usually in a couple of areas: air intake, exhaust, and tuning. Tires will also be a conversation, but its premature to jump on tires too early. Gotta get those baseline stats to figure out where youve gotta improve.

e: as a follow up, to answer your question directly, yeah, a tuning kit is a good first step. From a cursory google it seems like the Ktuner is the go-to with decent off the shelf tunes. If you live in an area with e85 you can run an e30 (~30% ethanol) fuel mix to make more power too. Its as simple as putting 30% of your tanks capacity in e85, then filling the rest up with premium. Custom tunes can be set up for this, but modern ECUs will learn the effective higher octane and adjust timing to draw more power out of your fuel.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 25, 2024

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Maybe I'm being an old boomer about it, but is tuning a CVT a good idea? I thought they were fragile even with stock power.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

On a quick skim of civic forums, it seems to be fine, especially with Ktuner, since they bake the limitations of the CVT into their tunes

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

DildenAnders posted:

Maybe I'm being an old boomer about it, but is tuning a CVT a good idea? I thought they were fragile even with stock power.

Nissan really screwed the pooch by taking a fragile CVT and putting it in everything before other manufacturers adopted their own CVT. There are some solid CVTs on the market these days

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can probably do better keeping your civic bone stock and dropping a little money on a fun car because not even God himself can make a cvt interesting

Edit plus modded civics are resale black holes for the most part

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

Safety Dance posted:

Nissan really screwed the pooch by taking a fragile CVT and putting it in everything before other manufacturers adopted their own CVT. There are some solid CVTs on the market these days

I feel like bad CVTs were more the norm than the exception for a while there, doesn't help that a lot of the early adopters were unreliable manufacturers in the first place (Nissan, Chrysler, Subaru all come to mind). I'm sure a new, Honda CVT will be better but wasn't sure if it could handle more power than stock considering many conventional automatics can't. Also seconding that getting a manual or even a manually shifted car to drag race with will probably be a lot more fun than a lawnmower transmission.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I think its cool and good to do some passes with your stock CVT civic and hang out and figure what you actually want to buy with some good advice from your new quarter mile friends

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I agree with the 'don't gently caress with it' takes here, with one exception. almost every stock vehicle is under-swayed, and sway bars are cheap, easyish to install, and quite frequently give a vaaaaaastly improved driving experience. if you can take a turn at 35 instead of 25 without feeling uncomfortable, your car is now magically faster. Wouldn't go much deeper than that though.

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

coconono posted:

I’m a computer toucher that works in drag racing and caught the bug.

I have a 2016 Honda Civic Sedan 4dr CVT LX, can I get a KTuner kit and make more horsepower?

I just wanna put up funny numbers at wild Wednesdays and maybe make new friends.

Yeah for sure. Mods that make more power will make more power. Or shift harder or something. I'm not familiar with ktuner.

Have you already started drag racing it? A quick Google (not a deep one) shows your car going from 15 second 1/4 to 14.75 seconds. Will that make a difference for you?

It's hard to explain, and I get where you're coming from. Racing is fun, you want you and your car to be better at it, do mods. This is AI.txt

BUT! A 2016 civic sedan isn't a good drag racing platform long term. Especially with a cvt. Every dollar you throw at it could go towards a car better suited to drag racing. I'd rather have a nice daily and a poo poo box toy than a heavily modded daily. I had a heavily modded daily. It was a civic. It was miserable. It didn't start there but one mod here, another there. Next thing I know my commuter has a half cage, konis, poly bushings, it's gutted, no a/c, etc. Great at the track and hell for 99% of its miles.

I'd run it stock, you'll make the friends anyway. Try other motorsports too. Look up autocross and track days (hpde). Hell even time speed distance rally (tsd). If any really resonate with you pick a car suited for that and go ham.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

honda whisperer posted:

Hell even time speed distance rally (tsd).

Hello yes did somebody mention my special interest???

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Where is the AI Slack? I saw the rules thread mentions one but it only says to use a specific channel to bug the mods.

I read PM's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

honda whisperer posted:

I'd run it stock, you'll make the friends anyway. Try other motorsports too. Look up autocross and track days (hpde). Hell even time speed distance rally (tsd). If any really resonate with you pick a car suited for that and go ham.

Could also see if your local dragstrip does bracket racing. It rewards consistency over speed. Similar to tsd.