Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Whoah, I really like Prey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Fix posted:

Whoah, I really like Prey.

I forget I have that. Maybe I should play it

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was low key one of the 10 best games in 2017, and that’s really saying something

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Bust Rodd posted:

It was low key one of the 10 best games in 2017, and that’s really saying something

what in the world

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

what in the world

he's right :colbert:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Why y'all gotta be provokin Da Bloodborne Boys?? :drat:

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Even with the massive loading times at the end, Prey was still a blast.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

The sound and atmosphere is just phenomenal.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Welp got tipsy at lunch and bought SotC and Bloodbourne on the train home - thanks PS app! I’ve never played either or any DS games please validate my poor impulse control. (Not necessary they were both reasonably priced in Canuckistan dollars).

I’m excited for both - SotC in particular as I remember the reception it got originally but I didn’t have a PS at the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Buddy ya just bought two of the best games ever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In No Particular Order:

Resident Evil 7
Nioh
Horizon: Zero Dawn
TLoZ: Breath of the Wild
Neir: Automata
Prey
The Surge
Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice
Cuphead
Observer

Here’s every game released in 2017 if you wanna debate it, but for real I had more fun with Prey than I did with any of the big cinematic masterpieces of last year, it was like someone understood what was good about Bioshock and gave you way more of that. It’s by no means perfect (low enemy variety hurts it and the ending is rushed) but I’d rather enjoy a game for 20 hours and then get a weak ending than slog through a game for 20 hours to get an amazing ending (N:A does have an amazing ending sequence, but the gameplay isn’t good enough that I’d have finished it without everyone on Earth insisting it’s worth it)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Feb 17, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a bad ending is part of the package with system/bioshock. obviously they were just committed to delivering the full experience :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Prey was pretty cool but I think I'd enjoy it a million times more on PC. The load times are ridiculous in the later game and fighting the mimics with a controller is not fun at all.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

squirrelzipper posted:

Welp got tipsy at lunch and bought SotC and Bloodbourne on the train home - thanks PS app! I’ve never played either or any DS games please validate my poor impulse control. (Not necessary they were both reasonably priced in Canuckistan dollars).

Play SOTC immediately, it's a one and done SP campaign with an emotional punch that will probably suffer if you immediately get into time attack lizard hunting, etc. Bloodborne is an RPG-length campaign that encourages you to keep trying different stuff and will take you far longer to see most of.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The detail in this SOTC remake is kinda mind blowing. Like there's just an incredible amount of attention paid to every little piece of scenery. So good.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I bought BB on the sale and DS1 is coming to the Switch. I've never played any Souls-esque game ever in any capacity

what do

Prepare To Die?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Prey loving owns, shame we'll probably never see the DLC they were supposedly working on for it.

Unless they pull a death of the outsider and go "Surprise! Here's a standalone expansion releasing in 2 months!"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
All signs point to the main guy behind Prey having left the studio for personal reasons and Bethesda sent it out to die and the PS4 port was so bad that there was basically no chance of the game being perceived as a success

Which is a shame because that game is such a riot when it’s firing on all cylinders

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

drat I loved Prey

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I loved prey but having a PS4 version that ran like crap and then making a demo only for that version was an incredibly dumb recipe to create bad word of mouth for the few people who had even heard of it due to bethesda's garbo marketing

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I bought BB on the sale and DS1 is coming to the Switch. I've never played any Souls-esque game ever in any capacity

what do

do not take the threaded cane the first time. I know you think its whip mode will be like Castlevania and it will be cool. But do not do it.

Actually i haven’t finished it yet and I am avoiding most out of game advice and hints but this is my advice to you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the threaded cane is a pretty good weapon but yea it's definitely the least beginner friendly of the three

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I used the Threaded Cane my first time through Bloodborne and loved it. Also there is totally a part where it is like Castlevania and cool, you might as well put on Bloody Tears

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Bloodborne is a lot more streamlined than Dark Souls. Just don't put points in bloodtinge or arcane. Don't be afraid to run past enemies if you're sick of fighting them. Explore if you get stuck and you'll find something cool and gain a few levels at least.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"What is a man? A miserable pile of secrets" is the underlying theme of Bloodborne

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It becomes a good weapon around +6 with a lot of skill but at the very start of the game it is definitely the worst option

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s mostly irrelevant because even if you take the cane you can get the spear in like 3 minutes and it’s functionally identical to the cleaver.

The axe is fine but so boring

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the axe is super cool and good actually. spin2win is great fun

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The Bloodborne starting weapons map to the McDonald's Alignment Chart pretty well

The Axe is "We have food at home"

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
The advice I remember finding the most useful when just starting Bloodborne was to put points in Vitality (up to 30 at first) and to a lesser extent Endurance whenever you're not sure what to put points into, and pump whatever you need in Strength and Dexterity (and maybe even Bloodtinge and Arcane) to equip weapons that you find and want to use. You'll end up with a quality build that's all over the place, but it gives the most varied playthrough if you only want to play once, and it gives a good idea of what to do next if you want to play again.

Something a lot of people would probably disagree with: I would recommend going into the Chalice Dungeons as you get access to them. Their design sucks compared to the main game, but it'll give you some more echoes to pump into those stats, and you might end up enjoying them, or at least tolerating them enough to be tempted to go through all of them, and you will most definitely want to have some story content to go back to when you invariably get bored or frustrated with them.

The DLC is great, so you should probably get that at some point, but it's very hard, so you can probably wait and play for a good while before deciding if you want to buy it or not and not miss anything. Just don't do it on NG+ your first time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I was just about to get to the DLC in my second playthrough but then I took a break to Hunt some Mons.

I probably should get back to it soon, the phrase Whirligig Saw has me intrigued

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Bust Rodd posted:

The axe is fine but so boring

It's me. I'm the guy who likes the 1H axe. I'm the guy pancaking fools with the 1H axe.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I was just about to get to the DLC in my second playthrough but then I took a break to Hunt some Mons.

I probably should get back to it soon, the phrase Whirligig Saw has me intrigued

It's one of my favorite potential builds to just say , along with dual bonewheel in DS1 and dual scythes in DS3.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you don't have to go that far but it is more important to increase your health/stamina first in the short run. your weapons don't get much scaling from stats until they're upgraded decently so you won't get much value out of pumping str/dex/whatever in the early game. I'd usually get vit/end to around ~20 before worrying about damage

30 is the first point of diminishing returns for vitality and endurance while it's 25 for the damage stats. 50 is the soft cap for everything and 99 is the hard cap where you can't level at all anymore (tho it's almost never worth leveling past 50 in any stat)

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

it's a giant pizza cutter and one of the best weapons in the game. try it out

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

the DLC is awesome, but just make a fresh character to play it. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the new bosses are hard as hell, and way worse on NG+ and higher. You'll have a nice refresher course if you just blaze through the old game on regular new game.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Digirat posted:

It becomes a good weapon around +6 with a lot of skill but at the very start of the game it is definitely the worst option

It's the worst if you use it in whip mode, true. The standard mode however causes a lot of stagger and you can basically stun lock standard enemies one on one just by spamming R1. Even works on the werewolves which is counterintuitive since you'd normally want the serrated damage bonus against them.

I had a fun time with it as my starting weapon. It's very versatile.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

the DLC is awesome, but just make a fresh character to play it. I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the new bosses are hard as hell, and way worse on NG+ and higher. You'll have a nice refresher course if you just blaze through the old game on regular new game.

Yeah that is what I did because the first thing I did was try to start NG+ after a nine month hiatus and realizing I had completely forgotten everything about the game, even when going back to NG I still died to Gascoigne like twenty times at first

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Bought Titanfall 2 and Rocket League on sale. Hell yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Pn43_dkj5E