Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
He didn't get run over, which shocks me because that's a busy stretch. But lots of internal bleeding, crushed pelvis, broken internal organs, and they are worrying about that before they figure out how broken his limbs are. Sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
LOL what a clown. was that the atlantic station on ramp? looks awfully familiar

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Razzled posted:

LOL what a clown. was that the atlantic station on ramp? looks awfully familiar

It's Fulton St. You can see the Olympic statue.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
So is now when we revive the discussion about times when it may actually be appropriate to layer dan?

Even without a front brake, he wasn't going too fast to stand on the rear and turn it. Even if he hit the curb.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

So is now when we revive the discussion about times when it may actually be appropriate to layer dan?

Even without a front brake, he wasn't going too fast to stand on the rear and turn it. Even if he hit the curb.

This is definitely getting warm. Except that he could have either braked or turned.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

time to bow out of this thread for a few days. lemme know when layer dan is gone back to hibernating.

;)

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hey I'll go ahead and give you a strong opinion on the matter.

Are there crashes where purposefully getting off the bike will probably have a better outcome than staying on it? Surely, this appears to be one.

But

To pull off a maneuver in a panic situation you have to have done it beforehand. The brain can't do new awesome things when it's gone into lizard mode, it's on autopilot and can only do what you've done before. It's why you practice things like panic stops, when you gotta do it, you already have the memory of it and can pull it off.

I think the situations where, getting off the bike vs. staying on making for a better outcome, are pretty rare as it is. This is assuming you have decent control of your motorcycle. I think that situation happening where you have the time and the ability to make the decision to get off the bike and then do it before the impact is rarer than winning the lottery.

Unless you are practicing getting off the bike as an option in a crash, I don't think you do it in a crash on purpose. I think people who 'laid her down', without exception, crashed their bike for whatever reason and used that as an excuse after the fact. So while technically it might be better to get off it like that, I think the times it's happened on purpose could be counted on one hand and were probably done by people who ride dirt and are used to ditching a bike.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Lowsiding and coming out in better shape than if you hadn't is the motorbike equivalent of being thrown safely out of a car that exploded because you weren't wearing a seatbelt.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah if you were actually gonna read what I said, don't. That's a better way to put it and much more concise.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
At least try to turn, thats my opinion

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

EX250 Type R posted:

At least try to turn, thats my opinion

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

Really don't want people to miss this one because holy LOL

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

One opinion we can all agree on.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Nuevo posted:

Anyway to get video with facebook?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No. 6 posted:

Anyway to get video with facebook?
It's basically Why We Tell People To Take The MSF.

Guy on the bike had just bought it.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vzolce.mp4

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

That is actually incredibly painful to watch. It blows my mind that people think getting a motorcycle without any sort of training or practice is a good idea.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
This is why nearly every bike sold on Craigslist has a blurb about "test rides with cash in hand". That poor bike.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Collateral Damage posted:

It's basically Why We Tell People To Take The MSF.

Guy on the bike had just bought it.

https://my.mixtape.moe/vzolce.mp4

Does this peanut know how to ride a bicycle?

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Nuevo posted:

Amazing, no?

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Carth Dookie posted:

That is actually incredibly painful to watch. It blows my mind that people think getting a motorcycle without any sort of training or practice is a good idea.

The build up to the second drop was great.

"Ok dude, this is how you do this bike thing"
"yeah yeah" *reverses out*
*stalls and drops at the first corner*

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I don't think there's any way of making a bicycle helmet full-face without it being basically an MX helmet

I looked around quite a lot since my buddy started doing lots of XC mtb (and constantly tries to get me to start riding with him), and I can't help but wonder why anyone doesn't make a helmet with a chin guard like on a football helmet. Seems to be a good compromise between ventilation and protection.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Nidhg00670000 posted:

I looked around quite a lot since my buddy started doing lots of XC mtb (and constantly tries to get me to start riding with him), and I can't help but wonder why anyone doesn't make a helmet with a chin guard like on a football helmet. Seems to be a good compromise between ventilation and protection.

At a guess, no protection against penetration and small stones, poor impact performance, and high probability of it catching on stuff.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Something like the Bell 2R or 3R seems like the best you can do ventilation-wise while still having decent protection. You can also remove the chin bar if you're not doing downhill or jumps.

Edit: Oh wait those are pretty good, but I think I was thinking of the Fox Proframe, GIANT holes on the front and sides.

https://www.amazon.com/Fox-Racing-P...GJR84ECSG27WER1

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jun 21, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There is one, I've seen it, but I can't for the life of me remember the brand. I think it may have been one of the larger European brands like AGV, or Nolan, or Schuberth. Metal chin bar with supposedly similar crash resistance (I was skeptical), and a flip up face shield. One of the guys who ran the bike shop I used to go to had one.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Sometime had a bad day

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

goddamnedtwisto posted:

At a guess, no protection against penetration and small stones, poor impact performance, and high probability of it catching on stuff.

Yeah, but I'm talking that vs a helmet with no face protection at all.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Nidhg00670000 posted:

There's racing mountain bike helmets that have chin curtains. They're super cool.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvL6_CsH90A

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

This is both amazingly sweet and hilariously dumb.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Was just coming to link that, so instead I'll link the 'build' video of it, I loving love these guys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=549fUF21jrg

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

From around Le Mans this year - car show, museum.

P1050885.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1050886.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060608.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060609.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060610.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060611.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060612.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060623.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060624.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

P1060628.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Am I a bad person for not liking most Nortons?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Also, that Gillet says Paris, but I thought it was a Belgian bike made in Liege?

Edit: nevermind, it's a Rene Gillet not a Gillet Herstal. Similar era bikes though.

No. 6 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 23, 2018

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

No. 6 posted:

Am I a bad person for not liking most Nortons?

No Nortons in those pics... look closer ;)

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Finger Prince posted:

From around Le Mans this year

P1050886.jpg by King Dugga, on Flickr

Gorgeous

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Agreed, but wtf is it? CB1? CB750 with a modern tail?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

CB750 from the look of the engine, unless they had some sleeved down version in France.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I want a gulf oil paint job on my bike

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

I want a gulf oil paint job on my bike

I'm doing a Gulf Oil paint job on my pushbike right now and let me tell it took some drat work to find the colors in rattlecans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Cb-1 had a mono shock and single muffler on the right side