Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lostconfused posted:

Going back to this for a second, I forgot this happened for a bit since it's not really emperor being told about it

I assume at some point in time everyone decided to pretend this didn't happen like in the 2nd book?

It’s a lie, like everything else the Chaos Gods told Horus. There are some brief descriptions of the abduction of the Primarchs in Valdor: Birth of the Imperium, and the Emperor wasn’t physically present for it at first.

Edit: rereading, he was present - but still, it’s almost certainly a lie the Chaos Gods told Horus. Same with Argel Tal getting a vision of the scattering and thinking he’s the one that did it in The First Heretic.

DAD LOST MY IPOD fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 16, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Scattering the primarchs was like stealing the Death Star plans, it turns out literally everybody was involved in it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Telsa Cola posted:

I don't they ever out right explain how this actually fucks a lot of things up, but there are lines dropped here and there that imply/state that as a result of the heresy a lot of induction processes changed, like indoctrination, that meant that post heresy marines are kinda a breed apart from the pre-heresy ones.

Yeah, my read on it is that all the poo poo they didn't used to do pre-heresey became the norm post-heresy. Some of the stuff mentioned in the Inductarii fluff gives me ideas for my homebrew chapter.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

It’s a lie, like everything else the Chaos Gods told Horus. There are some brief descriptions of the abduction of the Primarchs in Valdor: Birth of the Imperium, and the Emperor wasn’t physically present for it at first.

Edit: rereading, he was present - but still, it’s almost certainly a lie the Chaos Gods told Horus. Same with Argel Tal getting a vision of the scattering and thinking he’s the one that did it in The First Heretic.

Yes I cut out the part where Valdor confronts him first because it didn't seem relevant :shrug:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

As Horus is walking around the primarch baby room there's a half dozen or so other people scuttling around in the shadows dealing with their own shenanigans just out of sight.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
It’s like how Mary and Joseph had to find a manger because all the hotels were filled with rubbernecking time travelers.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

or how marty in back to the future 2 had to hide from his earlier self in the first movie and if they kept the movies going there'd be a dozen martys trying to avoid their earlier selves

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Lostconfused posted:

Yes I cut out the part where Valdor confronts him first because it didn't seem relevant :shrug:

Well we know Valdor canonically arrived after the vortex had already happened (he says so in Birth of the Imperium), so that’s another data point towards “Chaos gods are liars.”

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Well we know Valdor canonically arrived after the vortex had already happened (he says so in Birth of the Imperium), so that’s another data point towards “Chaos gods are liars.”

Yeah you're right, turns out I skipped over that part too, but that's how it goes down in False Gods.

quote:

The reflective surfaces of the tanks lit up as an actinic blue light appeared above them, and Horus looked up to see a blob of dirty light swirling into existence just below the ceiling. Like a miniature galaxy, it hung suspended above the silver incubation tanks, growing larger with every passing second. A powerful wind tugged at Horus and he hung onto the railing as a shrieking howl issued from the spreading vortex above him.

‘What is that?’ he shouted, working his way along the railing towards the stairs. ‘You know what it is, Horus,’ said Sejanus.

‘We have to get out of here.’

‘It’s too late for that,’ said Sejanus, taking his arm in an iron grip.

‘Take your hand off me, Sejanus,’ warned Horus, ‘or whatever your name is. I know you’re not Sejanus, so you might as well stop pretending.’

Even as he spoke, he saw a group of armoured warriors rushing through the chamber’s doorway towards them. There were six of them, each with the build of an Astartes, but without a suit of battle plate, they were less bulked out and gigantic. They wore fabulously ornate gold breastplates decorated with eagles and lightning bolts, and each wore a tall, peaked helm of bronze with a red, horsehair plume. Scarlet cloaks billowed behind them in the cyclone that swept through the chamber. Long spears with boltguns slung beneath long, crackling blades were aimed at him, and he instantly recognised the warriors for what they were the Custodian Guard, the Praetorians of the Emperor himself.

‘Halt, fiends and face thy judgement!’ shouted the lead warrior, aiming his guardian spear at Horus’s heart. Though the warrior wore an enclosing helm, Horus would have recognised his eyes and that voice anywhere.

‘Valdor!’ cried Horus.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yeah, my read on it is that all the poo poo they didn't used to do pre-heresey became the norm post-heresy. Some of the stuff mentioned in the Inductarii fluff gives me ideas for my homebrew chapter.

I think this is a…not a retcon exactly, but more of an unnecessary explanation. They (Abnett? Or the editors as a group) decided to write more human and life-like marines for the Heresy, to emphasize how things were Different back then and also it would have been boring to read 70 books of HONOUR THE CHAPTER BROTHERS, the marines needed to be real characters.Then somewhere along the way someone decided to put in a lore explanation also.

I’m not sure it holds up in practice though, (Obviously it varies by chapter, and the Iron Hands has a faction advocating turning the hypo-indoctrination machine wayyy up) But are ADB’s Spears or Guilliman’s various sidekicks really written as less human(ish) than the heresy-era marines?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/CGTester/status/1791479965193568446?t=Ab0_jZJJlItDVjrKnnAO_A&s=19

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ahriman showing up in TEATD is probably the best B plot

Although the astronomicon payoff over three books was incredible

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Partway through Only in Death. I'll only say that "Five Thirty-Seven" is an insanely good idea for a chapter.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2024/05/19/sunday-preview-the-dawnbringers-saga-ends-under-a-cloud-of-chaos/

Do you want some books? Of course ya do!
Even if there's only like one new book.

First up we have Darkoath: A Gunnar Brand Novel by Chris Thursten.

Available in the usual first release formats; hardback, eBook, and MP3 audiobook.

Always a good sign when a book is just named after a faction as a whole.

Then there's paperback version of Realmslayer: Legend of the Doomseeker by David Guymer.

And aside from two German translation releases that's it for upcoming releases.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The narrator for the Fulgrim audiobook put on an incredible performance, I don't know how games-workshop managed to find someone like that. Too bad about the book thou.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Black Library generally gets great narrators for everything. I’ve yet to hear anything from them that had bad narration.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

There's a couple of stinkers here and there. In particular, there's a DA Heresy book (so the badness is compounded) where the narrator is saying literally every single line, dialogue or descriptive, with the same, bored downward inflection. Not great.
Edit: And I've already mentioned it but I think Brutal Kunnin is disappointing in terms of audio narration.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
Recommend me an audio book for a 10 hour round trip drive! I've finished the Heresy and Siege, and really enjoyed the Necrons stuff. Anyone got a favorite? I was looking at the Dark Coil stuff but it's not in audio unfortunately.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Black Griffon posted:

Edit: And I've already mentioned it but I think Brutal Kunnin is disappointing in terms of audio narration.

I've also said this, but it's worth repeating- and worth doing over for BL, imo.

In the same vein, though this is far more down to personal preference, I suspect: Harrowmaster, a great book, narrated by the VA who does Wyll in baldurs gate 3 (where I like him a lot), makes for an insanely annoying narrator, something about the tone he uses for half his characters just absolutely slaughters my goat

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

LegionAreI posted:

Recommend me an audio book for a 10 hour round trip drive! I've finished the Heresy and Siege, and really enjoyed the Necrons stuff. Anyone got a favorite? I was looking at the Dark Coil stuff but it's not in audio unfortunately.

Orcs

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

If you liked the Twice Dead King Necron books, the Ghazkhul Thraka book is also by Mate Crowley and has a great audiobook. It really builds up how orks can be a threat without diminishing any of their goofy character, and the non-ork characters are pretty engaging, too.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Khizan posted:

Black Library generally gets great narrators for everything. I’ve yet to hear anything from them that had bad narration.

The first Dawn of Fire novel has a really really bad audiobook IMHO, which is weird because the same narrator does a good job on other books

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

LegionAreI posted:

All of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin books are really well done. The woman who narrates the Bequin books isn't quite as good at accent work as the guy who does the Eisenhorn and Ravenor entries (mostly her American accents), but it's a very, very minor quibble.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

FeculentWizardTits posted:

All of the Eisenhorn/Ravenor/Bequin books are really well done. The woman who narrates the Bequin books isn't quite as good at accent work as the guy who does the Eisenhorn and Ravenor entries (mostly her American accents), but it's a very, very minor quibble.

Going in, I was skeptical to see anything in the series done by anyone except the venerable Toby Longworth, but she won me over from chapter 1

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

LegionAreI posted:

Helsreach
Soul Hunter (and the rest of the Night Lords trilogy)

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
The story The Iron Star is the capstone to Only in Death. This is the most heartwarming the setting gets, really.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

FPyat posted:

The story The Iron Star is the capstone to Only in Death. This is the most heartwarming the setting gets, really.

Dunno, I think that "He's fething alive!" from Only in Death beats it out.

Have you read The Victory arc yet for the Ghosts novels? They get pretty grim too but there's some great fist pumping moments.

I reread Blood Pact last year and that book is seriously underrated in the Ghosts series.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Khizan posted:

When I started Eisenhorn I was put off by Toby Longworth's softer and less grandiose style after hearing 50 books of either Jonathan Keeble or John Banks, but a few chapters in I was totally sold and now a good chunk into book 2 I don't want to hear anyone but him do these characters

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

LegionAreI posted:

The Reverie does have an audiobook if you're looking for Dark Coil.

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

CottonWolf posted:

The Reverie does have an audiobook if you're looking for Dark Coil.

You listen to it, then black out and find yourself at the nearest art gallery, with blood on your hands and no memory of the previous six months.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Can't really recall any directly awful Warhammer audiobooks on the top of my head, but the Ciaphas Cain ones are good with their multiple narrators and then Emperor's Spears was another standout one.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

FeculentWizardTits posted:

I read these a million years ago but I think it's time for a refresh. Also she can't be worse than Keeble's American accent for Grammaticus. :D

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I finished Echoes Of Eternity over the weekend and the hololith that gets sent up from the surface rules so hard:

I am Shibhan Khan of the Fifth Legion, honored to currently hold the mantle of regent-commander of the Lion's Gate space port. I address this message to the fleet of treasonous dogs laying claim to the skies of Terra. You will find Lion's Gate's surface-to-orbit defenses are once again operational. Message ends.

and the epilogue just being the message from Guilliman got me hyped. ADB is amazing.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

About halfway done with Eisenhorn 2 and am loving it.

When they went to Cadia and met up with Fischig and went up to the Essene again I popped off, I love all these characters. The Kasrkin moving through the cultists at the pylon 1 shot 1 killing them all was rad as gently caress.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Any first-person books other than Eisenhorn?

lockdar
Jul 7, 2008

FPyat posted:

Any first-person books other than Eisenhorn?

I think the Ciaphas Cain books are in first person. Don't have them on me to check however.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Cain books are first person memoirs redacted by the inquisition.

You can't possibly find a more dubious account of anything.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
Several of ADB's are. The Black Legion trilogy and Spears of the Emperor, IIRC.

Also Abnett flexed hard by writing Horus' chapters in tEatD in second person perspective.

Kylaer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 23, 2024

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

Kylaer posted:

Also Abnett flexed hard by writing Horus' chapters in tEatD in second person perspective.

And it was utterly awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Half way through Descent of Angels and it was honestly more when it was a simple heroes journey with some mysticism but then the space marines had to show up eventually.