Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

No more of the "Insert disk 4 of 16"

"Unable to read disk 16"
Abort, retry, ignore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Anyone else remember the heyday of Sierra, back when video games were cool and good?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I can't remember any games but that logo sure is burned into my memory forever

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I can't remember any games but that logo sure is burned into my memory forever

I Still play quest for glory, but there was some Camelot one where you were Lancelot in the middle East i want to find so bad

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

RFC2324 posted:

I Still play quest for glory, but there was some Camelot one where you were Lancelot in the middle East i want to find so bad

Good news. (I think)

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

You are amazingly awesome!

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I remember some lovely DOS shooter from Sierra that I overran the score integer type on because I figured out the "random" pattern of the enemy ships.

But I'm also an old, so there's that.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
If you're not familiar with that site, it used to be called Good Old Games, now it's just GOG. It's by the CD Project Red folks (who do The Witcher). Their credo is good games at a fair price with no DRM and work on a modern system. They're second to Steam for me at this point, if only because they don't have everything (like Steam does) and their desktop client is a little eh. The client is getting better though, and it's completely optional.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Wizard of the Deep posted:

If you're not familiar with that site, it used to be called Good Old Games, now it's just GOG. It's by the CD Project Red folks (who do The Witcher). Their credo is good games at a fair price with no DRM and work on a modern system. They're second to Steam for me at this point, if only because they don't have everything (like Steam does) and their desktop client is a little eh. The client is getting better though, and it's completely optional.

The GoG Galaxy client is also optional, you can just get direct DRM-free installers off the website in your account page on the website.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The GoG Galaxy client is also optional, you can just get direct DRM-free installers off the website in your account page on the website.

This is why I purchase from GoG if the title is available in both places.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's also a client that runs on your desktop, and it's optional.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wizard of the Deep posted:

I had forgotten about GOG because my old bank refused to let charges from them go through and it wasn't worth fighting over it.

I have a new bank now do I'm gonna have to try again

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Can we take the nostalgia talk to the nostalgia thread?

It's a fun thread to read and I don't want my warm fuzzy memories mixing with my stone cold hatred of dumb users.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3756559&perpage=40

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
A ticket did not come in, and I'm not even in IT

coworker email posted:

I can’t get into that screen again, what did you do to get me in?

Thank you for your business

Sincerely,

[User]

Never do a flyby fix. Never do a flyby fix. NEVER DO A FLYBY FIX. She was even on the phone with the helpdesk already, but they had just given up, and I was struck with a moment of pity for her. Now I'm her personal departmental "computer person" :cripes:

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jun 18, 2017

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

spog posted:

"Unable to read disk 16"
Abort, retry, ignore?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Why

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

We have this perfectly good PC that's worked since the late 90's and you want to REPLACE it?! The company's not made of money you know, just get it the latest OS upgrade already! :manning:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
No loving way, that can't be real right?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Arivia posted:

No loving way, that can't be real right?

You are correct.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Real Microsoft distributions of Windows 8.1 by floppy disk would use 1.7 MB DMF format, like they used for things like Office floppies in the 90s. That would only require ~2090 3.5 inch disks.

It would also take about 6 and a half hours to actually transfer off the disks in a standard floppy drive. :v:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

[img-its-a-fake-but-with-a-floppy.gif]

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

fishmech posted:

It would also take about 6 and a half hours to actually transfer off the disks in a standard floppy drive. :v:
And that's just the actual transfer speed, not counting the seek time or the time it takes to swap disks.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I remember installing Windows 95 off 51 floppies...

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And you get to disk #48 and discover it's corrupted

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I had the next gen version happen to me. Installing windows 98 with a cd drive that would error out near the end of the install process cause it got too hot. It took me a lot of raging all day to figure it out, didn't help I was like 15-16 at the time and my mom was trying to helpfully give me suggestions.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
User said she made a document Friday night, and claims she saved it multiple times. But it's gone now. Asks us to find it. Doesn't remember the exact name, or the folder that she saved it in. Or whether it was on the department store or her personal store. On the call while I'm explaining we can't do anything more specific than run a search she suddenly remembers the exact file path. The only back-up for that folder is from 7:00am today, well after she claims to have lost the file. She also makes repeated claims that we can just somehow "find" it, and there's software for that. I explain the concept and workings of undelete software and how it doesn't work on network shares with 500+ active users at any given moment.

She also fixated on "why isn't it in the recycle bin?" Well, things deleted from network shares don't go to the recycle bin.

User also sent an email on Friday where this file was supposed to be attached, but "forgot" to attach it.

I'm pretty sure this file never actually existed.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

She also fixated on "why isn't it in the recycle bin?" Well, things deleted from network shares don't go to the recycle bin.

I have been told by a user that "that's harsh" look if I had to go to the recycle bin every month to empty it on every file server it'd be crazy. We also have nightly backups which serve the same function. It's the default in Windows, blame Microsoft. I'm sure there's a way to make the recycle bin work on network shares, but I don't want it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Avenging_Mikon posted:

User said she made a document Friday night, and claims she saved it multiple times. But it's gone now. Asks us to find it. Doesn't remember the exact name, or the folder that she saved it in. Or whether it was on the department store or her personal store. On the call while I'm explaining we can't do anything more specific than run a search she suddenly remembers the exact file path. The only back-up for that folder is from 7:00am today, well after she claims to have lost the file. She also makes repeated claims that we can just somehow "find" it, and there's software for that. I explain the concept and workings of undelete software and how it doesn't work on network shares with 500+ active users at any given moment.

User also sent an email on Friday where this file was supposed to be attached, but "forgot" to attach it.

I'm pretty sure this file never actually existed.
If it were a document in like, Word, then it would be in Word's list of recently-opened documents. But I think you've probably come to the correct conclusion.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

pixaal posted:

I have been told by a user that "that's harsh" look if I had to go to the recycle bin every month to empty it on every file server it'd be crazy. We also have nightly backups which serve the same function. It's the default in Windows, blame Microsoft. I'm sure there's a way to make the recycle bin work on network shares, but I don't want it.

Allow users to synch a network location locally and they'll have their bin iirc

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

Tech has been attempting to soften the idea of "deleting" by providing safety nets for every little thing a person can (and will) stupidly eliminate. It's a huge disservice to technology in general where data either exists or it doesn't, and people believe there are always more safety nets that they can't see to keep important poo poo from becoming a block of zeros.

People need to be more loving careful when dealing with "Delete" because yeah, it's harsh, get used to it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The recycle bin on a network share is called a shadow copy. Though granted if somebody copies a file to a share, throws the flash drive source in a shredder and then deletes the file from the share all within a five minute window, it won't help.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Tech has been attempting to soften the idea of "deleting" by providing safety nets for every little thing a person can (and will) stupidly eliminate. It's a huge disservice to technology in general where data either exists or it doesn't, and people believe there are always more safety nets that they can't see to keep important poo poo from becoming a block of zeros.

People need to be more loving careful when dealing with "Delete" because yeah, it's harsh, get used to it.

This is the wrong way to think about it and the reason why users hate IT and computers. Users have been deleting poo poo when they don't mean to forever and they'll continue to do so until the end of time. Instead of telling them it's harsh and to get used to it, come up with a way for them to work around the human mistakes and limitations. Give them the resources to have local backups. Hopefully the user's file was around long enough that the network backups have a copy of it that they can restore.

Granted, it sounds like in this case the file never existed. But if the user expects the deleted file to show up in the Recycle Bin, it's not out of line for them to question why it didn't in this case. They've been taught that's how file deletion works.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Local backups? Really? gently caress that. We have backups up to a year, if they need the file, we can get it back for them.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

anthonypants posted:

If it were a document in like, Word, then it would be in Word's list of recently-opened documents. But I think you've probably come to the correct conclusion.

Heh, that was one of the first things we suggested, since that would also get us a file path. "It's not there!"

Apparently user called their supervisor (who was taking the day off), as the supervisor called us and we ran through everything we'd tried and suggested. Supervisor apparently independently came up with the idea that the file didn't exist. I was amused.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Consultant used an ODBC to pull stuff out of a database and do stuff with Excel years ago when our database didn't support running a specific report, I'm unsure of the difficulties they had or if it's completely made up as it supports it now but people still use this excel file. It uses VLOOKUP

Anyway we now have item names that are just numbers and not just names. Consultant was called and charged for the answer "Excel isn't a real database you need to put ' in front of the number" I instead set the column for text instead of general, it now works for new info (for existing you have to go up to it and press enter, which is quicker than typing '). Users were confused by "it's not a real database" but understood my explanation of computers only see 1s and 0s and you typed 72,819 but the computer doesn't see that the other sheet says Seven Two Eight One Nine.

Now where is my 2 hours at $300/hr minimum for consultant support fee? Why did the department call up this guy who hasn't worked with us in almost 10 years for help instead of ask me to take a look at it? Why did they agree to the charges for such a lovely answer. Also they should be just using the software and not a custom hacked up excel file.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

pixaal posted:

Consultant used an ODBC to pull stuff out of a database and do stuff with Excel years ago when our database didn't support running a specific report, I'm unsure of the difficulties they had or if it's completely made up as it supports it now but people still use this excel file. It uses VLOOKUP

How bad is it that I use VLOOKUP rather than INDEX MATCH? I know I should adapt, but the people who taught me were olds that have been using it forever.

I haven't been using Excel almost at all lately thanks for getting shoved onto tickets for the last month and a half anyway, goddamn I hope the person we gave an offer to acceps. It's been holding up a huge actually interesting project.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

22 Eargesplitten posted:

How bad is it that I use VLOOKUP rather than INDEX MATCH? I know I should adapt, but the people who taught me were olds that have been using it forever.

I haven't been using Excel almost at all lately thanks for getting shoved onto tickets for the last month and a half anyway, goddamn I hope the person we gave an offer to acceps. It's been holding up a huge actually interesting project.
vlookup kind of sucks since you can only search from the left to the right along vertical columns, but maybe that's all what you want. I would assume index+match performs better, but I couldn't tell you.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Notes that I just typed into a ticket verbatim:

quote:

This was a total clusterfuck and we didn't have her set up for nearly a week because her new hire paperwork wasn't even started until after she was here.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
INDEX MATCH is a lot more powerful than vLookup so unless you're trying to do a small quick trick, you're better off just learning the best tool. It's not really any more difficult to get INDEX MATCH to do the same thing as vLookup, anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Judge Schnoopy posted:

i have a coworker who used to store stuff in the recycle bin, her logic being that if she never emptied it then it would be fine there in case she needed to get it back

then when trying to work out where all our storage space had gone, our IT guy noticed the size of the recycle bin and emptied it :getin:

• Locked thread