Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Where did they say they meant to do this?

Devs have confirmed that the lightning miracles are not working as intended currently. It also looks like they never intend to fix them for some reason.

Meanwhile they've buffed a ton of weapons, and literally nothing has been done to the various types of magic leaving those builds sub optimal.

Edit:

It's listed in calibrations 1.08 here http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/game-patches#toc4

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Apr 1, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aas Bandit
Sep 28, 2001
Oompa Loompa
Nap Ghost
I discovered a new blind playthrough today, and it's fairly entertaining, IMO. You might enjoy it, if you like that sort of thing.

Ninja edit: How the gently caress do I post a playlist link?
The forum tries to be "smart" and turn it into a video link automatically, and strips away everything and turns it into this bullshit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist :argh:

Here's the first vid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HE2xpdJ7fM

Another edit: The first couple of vids are a bit boring, but in future vids he does some video editing to pull out the slow bits (although he does keep all the deaths, which is cool).

Final edit: Just watched him kill Mytha without burning the windmill, just to see if he could do it. Hardcore.

aas Bandit fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 1, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

TescoBag posted:

Devs have confirmed that the lightning miracles are not working as intended currently. It also looks like they never intend to fix them for some reason.

Meanwhile they've buffed a ton of weapons, and literally nothing has been done to the various types of magic leaving those builds sub optimal.

Edit:

It's listed in calibrations 1.08 here http://darksouls2.wikidot.com/game-patches#toc4

Haha, drat it's like these guys know how to do one thing and one thing only and that's make the game but then... "what is balance".

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Haha, drat it's like these guys know how to do one thing and one thing only and that's make the game but then... "what is balance".

It's a shame because I absolutely loved the faith/cleric build and would totally have been okay with half the casts and a 20% damage increase or whatever. I'd love to be able to throw lightning and hit poo poo with my mace again.

Is there a way to make that build useful again?

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So going magic now is bad? Welp there goes my hype, I usually only play magic builds in Souls games.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Fat_Cow posted:

So going magic now is bad? Welp there goes my hype, I usually only play magic builds in Souls games.

Offensive miracles were nerfed into the ground. Other magic is still useful but usually just the most boring spells of the bunch, except for a couple specific PvP situations. Most of the time the only things worth attuning is the generic single projectile attacks with a lot of casts or things that just make you better at melee anyway. So if you want to use magic you get to use either the most boring parts of it or just effectively become a melee build anyway.

I do not know why from hates so many of the high int/faith requirement spells but almost all of them come with 3 casts or less and are of questionable value besides.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 1, 2015

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fat_Cow posted:

The only thing that got nerfed is the Lightning spears. Which is a big shame cause I find them to be a pretty iconic part of the game. Everything else is fine dude.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Fat_Cow posted:

Magic is fine, main problem is you get good magic staffs pretty late. My usual go to magic build was a black witches staff infused magic with 50 int and 30 faith for dark magic spells. For example affinity dark spell only scales with your dark scaling stats so it goes well with int build.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Fat_Cow posted:

Pyromancies, Hexes and Sorceries are fine, and non-lightning spear miracles are fine. You just can't be Zeus.

Though if you do go with a primarily int-based caster you'll probably do a lot better with Raw or Enchanted weapons (physical damage from int) than magic/dark/fire due to the way resistances go.

On a side note, I really wish there was a "Blessed" infusion or that gave physical damage from Faith, much how Enchanted gives physical from Int.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Should I buy this game if I wimped out at Blighttown in DS1 and can't really get into Bloodborne?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There's really nothing specifically like Blighttown in DS2 so it depends on why you wimped out there I guess. If it was because of the area's difficulty spike, this game has more branching paths so the difficulty is equalized a little better. If it was because of the technical problems well that's kind of a crapshoot but gedosato exists to make everything better so :shrug:

Either way, you should wait for Scholar of the First Sin obv.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
I didn't exactly wimp out I guess, I just got distracted by other games that came out and never went back to Dark Souls. I don't regret the time I put into it, I just don't feel like jumping back into the middle or starting fresh so I'm thinking about trying DS2 instead.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Adam Bowen posted:

Should I buy this game if I wimped out at Blighttown in DS1 and can't really get into Bloodborne?

Well, did you like everything up to Blighttown? There is a path with a pair of areas that are very Blighttown-ish (dark as gently caress, rickety and unsteady footing, poison projectiles from every loving direction) but they're technically optional (one of the four great souls you need is down there, but the next story beat unlocks either when you have all four great souls, or you reach a grand total of 1 million souls eaten).

Also, the combat in DSII is a lot more like the slower, more plodding combat in DSI.

I'm guessing that the dying repeatedly to learn and explore does not interest you if you weren't interested in Blighttown or Bloodborne, which means you probably won't like Souls the Second.

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

Adam Bowen posted:

Why can't you get into Bloodborne exactly? I haven't played it myself but I've watched it a fair amount and it seems that if you own it and don't really dig it, and couldn't be bothered to finish Dark Souls after getting to BT, chances are you won't like DS2 any more. It's still a Souls game afterall.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Adam Bowen posted:

I didn't exactly wimp out I guess, I just got distracted by other games that came out and never went back to Dark Souls. I don't regret the time I put into it, I just don't feel like jumping back into the middle or starting fresh so I'm thinking about trying DS2 instead.

Dark Souls 2 will savagely punch you in the dick over and over again in the first couple of areas. If you don't pay attention at the start then it's possible in principle to totally miss a critical item that the game is a nightmare without (though you can go back and get it later). The mechanic behind effective dodging is subtle and completely unexplained in-game. Also a surprising number of people seem to enable what boils down to Very Hard mode by accident despite no less than three consecutive warnings presented to you when you attempt to enable it.

After the start it gets really good, but if you're going in blind it's brutal to new players.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
So I noticed an interesting phenomenom yesterday when farming the Shadows in Flexile Sentry's NG+ bossroom. I went at them first alone, then with a buddy because that is foolproof, with the intention to ultimately get two Malformed Claws. After about 12 runs alone, I had two Shadow Daggers, two Gauntlets, two Tops, a Helmet and a Claw. So the only thing missing was another Claw and the Leggings because why not.
With buddy, I did surely 20 more runs and a few more solo ones in-between session. On the third co-op run, the Leggings dropped, and that was it.
Not a single item fell, with full item find gear and a Rusted Coin before every try. We went crazy. Tried having him wear item find gear, too. Waited for me to get the last hit on the enemies. Went back to soloing them. Not a single item dropped, ever.

Then I decided to kill the Sentry, Ascetic once more and start over.

The very first run, I got another Helmet, then another Top in the second run.

Of course, we're talking about chances here and it might all just have been very bad luck. But a single item drop during out 20+ runs would have ruined my assumption that something is up, that didn't happen, and they immediately started dropping again after I burned; and, considering my initial success (also I have farmed them before, but less long, just for Gauntlets), they are actually quite drop-happy usually.

So, is it known or has been speculated before that while they always will respawn because the boss needs his adds, maybe after the usual respawn amounts for normal enemies run out for them, they stop dropping? It would be really strange (and only apply to those particular enemies unless Sinner's friends have particularly useful drops), but it's the only conclusion I come up with.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

So, is it known or has been speculated before that while they always will respawn because the boss needs his adds, maybe after the usual respawn amounts for normal enemies run out for them, they stop dropping? It would be really strange (and only apply to those particular enemies unless Sinner's friends have particularly useful drops), but it's the only conclusion I come up with.

Nope, it's just an insane coincidence. I killed about 20-30 rounds of shadows to get all my gear, and they dropped items well past when they should have been extincted.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Mr Dog posted:

Dark Souls 2 will savagely punch you in the dick over and over again in the first couple of areas. If you don't pay attention at the start then it's possible in principle to totally miss a critical item that the game is a nightmare without (though you can go back and get it later). The mechanic behind effective dodging is subtle and completely unexplained in-game. Also a surprising number of people seem to enable what boils down to Very Hard mode by accident despite no less than three consecutive warnings presented to you when you attempt to enable it.

After the start it gets really good, but if you're going in blind it's brutal to new players.

Okay I know about the critical item but am I missing something about dodging perhaps?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Beach Bum posted:

Okay I know about the critical item but am I missing something about dodging perhaps?

Level ADP to get a less wimpy roll

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fat_Cow posted:

Unless they've made some major changes it's hardly bad, you can chuck huge numbers of magic bolts across the level right out of the gate and getting more is pretty easy.

But you will need to hit stuff with your sword sometimes yes. You can't sit back and just throw magic at everything from a safe distance for the entire game.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Weapon “Chaos Blade”, “Blacksteel Katana” increase of the attack power of the counter attack

:getin:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Namco did a livestream over here a couple days ago to show off some of the changes. I'm only a few minutes in so I'll edit this post with a big list of everything they show off when I finish watching, but things to note so far;

:siren: Spoilers galore :siren:

Heide Knight in Heide's Tower, right when you come out of the tunnel on the little platform, instead of FotFG. There's also multiple of them in Heide's now and you can cause them to move around instead of just sitting there. Killing the Dragonrider makes them hostile.
Shadow Assassins show up in NG.
Texture upres on a lot of mobs and environments.
Dragon guarding the Old Dragonslayer tower.
Atmospheric change to Heide, it's more clear sky blue and sunny.
Enemy leashes are way, way longer. Apparently it was a generational limitation? :raise:
New invader drops new poo poo.
NPC invader location changes.
3 friendly phantoms (Bros, presumably Cops not that you'd ever get any).
Grand Lance attainable way, way earlier, as in FotFG regular. Apparently not the only weapon/item move.
Many/quite a few more petrified people/mobs to block off loot/gate progression, along with more Branches to use on them.
Lucatiel positions modified.
No SM changes. :smith:
Pursuer changes. Now actually pursues you in various ways and places to gently caress with you.
Covenant of Champions prevents mob extinction.
More bosses have NPC summons.
Harvest Valley undead giants have some change that they didn't entirely allude to.
New shortcut in NMW.
There's a petrified Hollow blocking the tree to the coffin in Things Betwixt. It is filled with basiliks.
An ogre in FotFG.

In the end they only showed Things Betwixt, Heide and NMW, so there's a decent chance that there are some interesting changes pretty much everywhere, but who knows.

Orv fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 1, 2015

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Anyone know what time this'll be up?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
3 PM EST IIRC

Anyways: https://www.change.org/p/from-software-do-not-release-bloodborne-for-pc

:lol:

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Yeah, I saw that the other day when I was wondering why everyone was talking about this new Souls-ish game from FROM that wasn't on PC. It's some of the most hilarious, entitled nerd-rage I've seen.

Meanwhile, I honestly give it 50/50 if Sony lets FROM toss it up on the PC. On one hand FROM likes money and Steam makes them more than enough to make it worth to toss their games on it. On the other hand, it sounds like Sony just started throwing fat sacks of cash at FROM until they caved and made an exclusive.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I was under the impression that since Sony got their hands on it, there was basically zero chance of it ever getting to PC because Sony would have to agree to it and they're not going to. Am I wrong on that? Is there some hope?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Amazon France loving up and listing it was hilarious for all the confusion it caused. As one other goon put it re: the port: "Does Sony LIKE money? Or do they LOVE it?"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, I saw that the other day when I was wondering why everyone was talking about this new Souls-ish game from FROM that wasn't on PC. It's some of the most hilarious, entitled nerd-rage I've seen.

Meanwhile, I honestly give it 50/50 if Sony lets FROM toss it up on the PC. On one hand FROM likes money and Steam makes them more than enough to make it worth to toss their games on it. On the other hand, it sounds like Sony just started throwing fat sacks of cash at FROM until they caved and made an exclusive.

MooCowlian posted:

I was under the impression that since Sony got their hands on it, there was basically zero chance of it ever getting to PC because Sony would have to agree to it and they're not going to. Am I wrong on that? Is there some hope?

It's not a toss up at all. It will never happen.

Finished updating previous post with poo poo.

CountingWizard
Jul 6, 2004

MooCowlian posted:

Sony is the publisher. Doesn't that mean they own the rights to the game?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

Alkydere posted:

It's not remotely 50/50 at all, it will literally never ever come to PC.
Demon's Souls and Bloodborne are owned by Sony Japan. Sony didn't just 'throw fat sacks of cash', they had an actual hand in the developments of both games. Although they could have put more effort on Bloodborne since that game looks and runs like dog poo poo on a console that's easily capable of doing better. But that's another story for another day.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
The amusing flipside of that petition is a legion of twelve year old console warriors trolling petitioners and calling them "salty" and laughing at them for "begging". By the way, how did "salty" get in the gamer parlance?? I've only ever heard cops and military use it in casual conversation and now its all over my gamer Twitter. Did PewDiePie scream it out in a video somewhere?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
It's a fighting game thing that kind of spread out into every other multiplayer game

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Either way, you should wait for Scholar of the First Sin obv.

Hey, how is this going to work on pc? Is there going to be anything we need to buy or is it just a patch for us?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

ethanol posted:

Hey, how is this going to work on pc? Is there going to be anything we need to buy or is it just a patch for us?

I think there's supposed to be a link from the regular dark souls 2 store page to the DX11 version of SotFS with all of the upgrade prices listed

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ethanol posted:

Scholar of the First Sin is counted as a whole new game on Steam. Certain elements of it are getting patched into the current game but some of the specific new stuff (updated graphics, enemy placement etc.) will only be available in the new version. Think the comparison between original Dark Souls vs Prepare To Die Edition on 360, except on PC. You'll have to buy it but the price depends on what Dark Souls 2-related stuff you already own, with different levels of discounts based on whether you own the DLCs or not.

Karrahad
Nov 4, 2010

ethanol posted:

THE loving MOON posted:

I think there's supposed to be a link from the regular dark souls 2 store page to the DX11 version of SotFS with all of the upgrade prices listed

As far as I've understood, it's going to be listed as its own full-priced standalone game, and then you get an automatic discount if you own the original DS2 or DS2+DLCs.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Scholar of the First Sin is counted as a whole new game on Steam. Certain elements of it are getting patched into the current game but some of the specific new stuff (updated graphics, enemy placement etc.) will only be available in the new version. Think the comparison between original Dark Souls vs Prepare To Die Edition on 360, except on PC. You'll have to buy it but the price depends on what Dark Souls 2-related stuff you already own, with different levels of discounts based on whether you own the DLCs or not.

ugh, that makes me sad

Orv
May 4, 2011

CJacobs posted:

You'll have to buy it but the price depends on what Dark Souls 2-related stuff you already own, with different levels of discounts based on whether you own the DLCs or not.

To just poo poo those out before someone asks:
Dark Souls 2 DX9 without owning DkS2 prior: $40
DX11 without owning DkS2 prior: $50
DX11 owning DkS2 with NO DLC: $30
DX11 owning DkS2 and ALL DLC: $20

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Orv posted:

To just poo poo those out before someone asks:
Dark Souls 2 DX9 without owning DkS2 prior: $40
DX11 without owning DkS2 prior: $50
DX11 owning DkS2 with NO DLC: $30
DX11 owning DkS2 and ALL DLC: $20
It's the best day to confirm the prices globally tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Anal Surgery posted:

The amusing flipside of that petition is a legion of twelve year old console warriors trolling petitioners and calling them "salty" and laughing at them for "begging". By the way, how did "salty" get in the gamer parlance?? I've only ever heard cops and military use it in casual conversation and now its all over my gamer Twitter. Did PewDiePie scream it out in a video somewhere?

People made fun of me in middle school in 1997 for saying salty all the time, because I picked it up from my 8-years-older sister. At the time people considered it an artifact from the 80s it seemed.

Azran posted:

As one other goon put it re: the port: "Does Sony LIKE money? Or do they LOVE it?"

I would guess that Sony's bean counters argue that the smaller BB sales are worthwhile if some fraction of PC buyers get a PS4 (and presumably a few other games for it) to play BB when they would otherwise wait. Big companies also clutch their pearls about ~*PC piracy*~ but I won't claim to know anything about those numbers.

But more realistically, Sony probably hears "PC" and they see "Microsoft". They probably don't want anything with a Windows/XBOX logo on it playing what they're trumpeting as their PS4 flagship at the moment.