Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

Tnuctip posted:

What the hell is a red team lead???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Volmarias posted:

I guess more broadly something of a devil's advocate task force to make sure you know all the reasons why something is a bad idea

Jargon aside, having someone who wasnt involved in creating it poke holes in a project plan can be really useful.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Jargon aside, having someone who wasnt involved in creating it poke holes in a project plan can be really useful.

It requires you be willing to listen to people tell you why your idea is bad, which is far too rare.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Volmarias posted:

It requires you be willing to listen to people tell you why your idea is bad, which is far too rare.
https://youtu.be/BKorP55Aqvg

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

basically that, my job was to pretend I was SHIIT and based on their current known product line, staff, and patent disclosures, come up both with what I thought they were doing and what I thought they should be doing, along with possible responses by my firm to that. Since the equipment cycle for semiconductor is somewhat known and the challenges are typically somewhat well understood several years before purchases get made, you could combine those things with customer politics and get pretty close to what people were trying to do

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Tomfoolery posted:

If you don't have infinite levels of acronym then it's not even worth my time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recursive_acronym

AGFA — Always Go For AGFA

That soft of thing is not at all Gnu.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

therobit posted:

Acronym abuse is a serious problem. I also hate when they grab one that is already in use or becomes famous for a different thing than what you are using it for. At my employer we had a process in place for years that new policies and procedures had to be vetted through called MMWR. The federal government publishes the Mortality and Morbidity Weekly Report about serious infectious diseases every week.

My wife works in education, and some younger millennials that didn't remember the 80s called one of their learning models USSR.

And of course, we have the National Restaurantuer's Association, or NRA.

My company spent over $100,000 to rename an older, internal/supplier computer system that just so happened to share their name with a newly prominent terrorist organization. The same one used in early seasons of Archer.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Solkanar512 posted:

My company spent over $100,000 to rename an older, internal/supplier computer system that just so happened to share their name with a newly prominent terrorist organization. The same one used in early seasons of Archer.

I remember we were cleaning out the assorted paper junk storage at the Subway I worked at a few years ago and found all the information for the early (and failed :v:) pay by phone system that was called ISIS

we threw them away with all the Jared Fogel stuff we found too

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I worked with a client that had to rename an ISIS. People were kind of pissed - "why should I have to change my name? he's the one who sucks!"

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Anybody have any experience incorporating their business as a C-Corp and potentially trademarking their business name or doing a trademark search? I've just incorporated 2 businesses I plan on launching soon, but I'm pretty new to the foundation of a corporate company. I have LegalZoom doing most of the legal work right now, including my incorporation paperwork, as well as a trademark search to make sure I'm not going to step on any toes of existing corporations. Any advice or suggestions would be awesome. This poo poo is hella intimidating but I'm super excited about the business idea, and I have enough funding to get the ball rolling on both. I'm the sole owner and manager/president/treasurer/whatever the hell so I'm not really worrying about employees just yet. I still need to get business bank accounts setup and throw some starter cash in there.

I realize LegalZoom can only get me so far as far as advice and help go, I'll probably be seeking out a lawyer, accountant, and tax professional to go over things in deeper detail to make sure I'm covering my rear end.

ceebee fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 8, 2020

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
Here's a boring question:

Last month I started a role a place that uses MS software for everything, having come from somewhere that we used G Suite for everything. I am having a hard time getting used to the MS stuff. Is there a 3rd party suite I can download that makes email and calendar "feel" easier like gmail/gcal/drive did for me? I have outlook 2019 customized pretty well with a simplified ribbon at the top and all that, but it still feels really clunky. Is there a "cool" product I can use with this work account?

I've been surprised at how much productivity I've lost in this switch, but this is after maybe 10 years of MacBooks and Google everywhere I've worked. Now I have a Windows PC and just training myself to use the different keyboard shortcuts has me feeling like I'm one thousand years old.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

Here's a boring question:

Last month I started a role a place that uses MS software for everything, having come from somewhere that we used G Suite for everything. I am having a hard time getting used to the MS stuff. Is there a 3rd party suite I can download that makes email and calendar "feel" easier like gmail/gcal/drive did for me? I have outlook 2019 customized pretty well with a simplified ribbon at the top and all that, but it still feels really clunky. Is there a "cool" product I can use with this work account?

I've been surprised at how much productivity I've lost in this switch, but this is after maybe 10 years of MacBooks and Google everywhere I've worked. Now I have a Windows PC and just training myself to use the different keyboard shortcuts has me feeling like I'm one thousand years old.

Probably not the answer you are looking for: but in my experience, trying to get one thing to act like another - especially when they are very different in philosophy - ends up with some bastard child of a solution that fails to work for either of them.

You're better off biting the bullet and sitting down for a couple of hours and learning how to use MS stuff. The good news is that there is an absolute shitton of resources out there, including by MS themselves, and it really doesn't take long to get the hang of them, or to find an answer for the specific way to do something.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Moo the cow posted:

Probably not the answer you are looking for: but in my experience, trying to get one thing to act like another - especially when they are very different in philosophy - ends up with some bastard child of a solution that fails to work for either of them.

Lotus Notes :unsmigghh:

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

ceebee posted:

Anybody have any experience incorporating their business as a C-Corp and potentially trademarking their business name or doing a trademark search?

Really consider whether you need trademark protection and make sure there aren't competitors with that protection already. Getting a trademark right away for something that is unlikely to have its IP infringed upon is sometimes "fake work" that makes it feel like you're running a business when really just focus on revenue and customers and everything else is a distraction. Not always true though YMMV.

Recommend these guys:
https://www.cognitionip.com/

I got one from a friend who is an IP lawyer in my area but I know the ones who run cognitionip and they're pretty likely to be cheaper.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jun 8, 2020

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)

Moo the cow posted:

You're better off biting the bullet and sitting down for a couple of hours and learning how to use MS stuff. The good news is that there is an absolute shitton of resources out there, including by MS themselves, and it really doesn't take long to get the hang of them, or to find an answer for the specific way to do something.

Yeah you're probably right :negative:

It's been a month and I'm a little better about Ctrl instead of command, that's a good start. I wouldn't mind so much if it was just me struggling with it, but since we're all remote right now I'm sharing my screen in meetings a lot and I cringe whenever I mess up a shortcut and stuff starts minimizing and closing lol

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

My cousin's cat has the same name. We frequently have random guests at our Christmas gift exchange, and one year this cousin wasn't too thrilled with one of their presents so they said: "[They] will love it!". I immediately called time-out and explained to our random guest that [they] is the name of a cat, not the organization of bad people. Everybody was delighted that i was paying such attention.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

BigDave posted:

Lotus Notes :unsmigghh:

Lotus Notes would be running 70% of the world's document, form, and approvals workflows; SAP would be a niche vendor; and we'd all be happy except for some motherfucker who had the bright idea of implementing email inside Notes and another motherfucker who shipped that garbage.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

theHUNGERian posted:

My cousin's cat has the same name. We frequently have random guests at our Christmas gift exchange, and one year this cousin wasn't too thrilled with one of their presents so they said: "[They] will love it!". I immediately called time-out and explained to our random guest that [they] is the name of a cat, not the organization of bad people. Everybody was delighted that i was paying such attention.

You can just say Isis, they don't own the name and didn't even use it after like a year, and if you're posting in this thread I doubt you share their beliefs

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

theHUNGERian posted:

IMO, Isis is a good cat name; her daughter is Bastet.

Betazoid fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 9, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
My wife's cat is named Isis :shobon:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Isis is a nice cat name. It's Batman TAS Catwoman's cat.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Is the gsuite version of gmail significantly better than the public version? My gmail experience is consistently bad and I can't imagine trying to use it for work stuff.

Lord Hamsterbottom
Apr 7, 2007
Your sympathy is as useless as the berries in Super Mario World. By which I mean, only good for yoshis.
My favorite Samsung acronym was the My Machine Is no Defect (MIND) project. Weirdly, it was created by an American manager and not a Korean.

Eventually enough people made fun of the awkward grammar and they retconned the acronym to My Machine Has no Defect (MIND).

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

BeastOfExmoor posted:

Is the gsuite version of gmail significantly better than the public version? My gmail experience is consistently bad and I can't imagine trying to use it for work stuff.

lol. Gmail is by far the best email provider and app I've ever used.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Inner Light posted:

My heart yearns for outlook's sorting rules, especially the "and then stop checking rules" action. I have a bunch of rules to try to replicate the concept of discrete folders and Gmail sucks for it because you have to tell it a negation for every other possible rule match too. I get why the rules are set up as they are but it's still frustrating.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

BeastOfExmoor posted:

GSuite is what your IT department's policies make of it.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Inner Light posted:

When it comes to work, I can't imagine using a company who's entire business model is selling user data. Our corporate legal won't even let us use google's patent search.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Dik Hz posted:

When it comes to work, I can't imagine using a company who's entire business model is selling user data. Our corporate legal won't even let us use google's patent search.

Google admits that they literally scan though your email so they can serve ads to you:

“Our automated systems analyse your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customised search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored.”

That always seems a little shady when it comes to your company's compliance with GDPR and other data protection legislation in various countries.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Google doesn't sell your data though, they just collect insane amounts of it and then they sell access to you, based on that data. The data is their goldmine, they're not going to give anyone access to it.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Got hit with the random slack "Hello, how are you ?" message at 4pm, immediately followed by an Outlook invitation to a 2-hour meeting over lunch tomorrow (over the top of 2 other meetings already), and then another invitation to a meeting in 10 minutes to talk about the meeting. All this to participate in a box ticking "signoff" session for something that has already been approved, work has already been done on, and would have required me to talk for maybe 30 seconds but attend the entire 2 hour meeting and miss actual important stuff.

Conveniently I'm going on maternity leave in a few weeks and am merrily declining things left and right. Feels good. Along with deleting the billion "you are now due to complete xxx training" emails.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

I've definitely noticed since WFH started that 12PM meetings are no longer taboo. Like no one even apologizes for them anymore

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Folks chewing their food, clinking and clanking their forks & knives as their kids are yelling in the background. :coffeepal:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

paternity suitor posted:

I've definitely noticed since WFH started that 12PM meetings are no longer taboo. Like no one even apologizes for them anymore

I never did. If you don’t want a meeting at noon and we work for the same company, block your calendar or decline the meeting.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'm an 11:30 AM eater so I don't give a gently caress about your noon hour. Also, majority of my meetings are across time zones so that's even stupider.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

We made it until now before asking employees to voluntarily furlough. What does that give me before we transition to mandatory furloughs or layoffs. One month? Two?

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

How many others’ firms standard process is to waste a bunch of money for a year, and then do what you originally wanted to so you can claim it on the books as a “cost savings”?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

gwarm01 posted:

We made it until now before asking employees to voluntarily furlough. What does that give me before we transition to mandatory furloughs or layoffs. One month? Two?

If you're publicly traded, whenever your next quarterly earnings are announced.

Also, I'm sorry :(

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jordan7hm posted:

I never did. If you don’t want a meeting at noon and we work for the same company, block your calendar or decline the meeting.

Yep. I have a recurring block every week day from 12-1, have literally never gotten poo poo for it once. If I need to be somewhere super critical during that time then they email me and go "hey so I know you're normally out to lunch but we really need you for [x] at 12:30, can you make it?" and assuming it actually is critical I shift my time to accommodate.

Granted I also work on the west coast where the punctuality aspect of office culture is pretty loose. It's not just start and end times, you could wander off from 3-4 and claim it was a late lunch and pretty much nobody would bat an eye.

gwarm01
Apr 27, 2010

Trabant posted:

If you're publicly traded, whenever your next quarterly earnings are announced.

Also, I'm sorry :(

Don't worry, I have a backup plan if anything happens.

That plan is to move in with my in-laws and becoming a neurotic shut in. Also probably looking into some remote work / consulting in my field since there are still a few openings around the country as of now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Moo the cow posted:

Google admits that they literally scan though your email so they can serve ads to you:

“Our automated systems analyse your content (including emails) to provide you personally relevant product features, such as customised search results, tailored advertising, and spam and malware detection. This analysis occurs as the content is sent, received, and when it is stored.”

That always seems a little shady when it comes to your company's compliance with GDPR and other data protection legislation in various countries.

When you're the customer, not the product, it's a little different.

I'll say that Google definitely takes GDPR seriously from everything I've seen internally, so it's not the standard meaningless "we take our customers' privacy very seriously" prattle.