Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Schlegel Mach posted:

Alright, so, I'm looking for this movie about lava that's apparently overtaking a major city (like New York or LA). I remember seeing it when I was younger, about ten years ago (or around there), on VHS in the USA. They built up walls to redirect the lava along the city, or something, but there was too much and it was going to go over the edge/into the city center and kill everyone.
Volcano

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meowjesty
Oct 23, 2009

Friends depend on each other.

bad movie knight posted:

Volcano

Of course when I actually looked for it I couldn't find it. :sigh:

Thanks. :3:

Autarch_Severian
Sep 8, 2007

The Lucas posted:

This sounds like different movies you are compiling together, but this sounds like the Gary Busey classic Hider in the House.

That's the one! thanks!

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Schlegel Mach posted:

Of course when I actually looked for it I couldn't find it. :sigh:

Thanks. :3:

Lava melt guy was John Carrol Lynch, who at that point was also busy playing Drew Carey's transvestite brother on television.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
lol @ notcreativeenough's new avatar. I think you might be beaten to the punch on the ban at the rate he's going.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Captain Equinox posted:

Bit of a long shot, is this Prime Cut? Lee Marvin is the middle-aged detective, and I think he rescues Sissy Spacek from the slave ranch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069121/

That's it. Thanks. It turns out Lee Marvin's character isn't a detective, but I was like ten when I watched it so the story went over my head.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

This is going to be kind of long (and cross posted from Book Barn since it may be a book), I apologize, but:

Boy (18ish) travels to his hometown for the first time in years, having been sent away by his mom. Exploring her house, discovers a room that is locked whenever another door is opened (his room), discovers a strange item in that room (my memory tells me it is the hand of a doll but I could be wrong).

Inadvertently finds out that the object allows him to make people disappear, sending them to another dimension. Series of flashbacks shows us that his dad discovered the object and its power, and first used it discretely, but eventually used it on anyone who crossed his path, eventually accidentally using it against himself. His mother kept it as her last link to him, sending the kid away so he wouldn't follow in his footsteps.

Back to present day, he's caught the attention of the town authorities after a few folks disappear, being the newcomer in town. I don't remember anything after that, but if anyone has any ideas, that would be great. It really reminds me of Stephen King, but I've flipped through the books of his that I have and I'm not finding anything. I'm also reminded of Kiefer Sutherland for some odd reason, but his filmography isn't giving me any results either. Thanks.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:
I was watching a movie on a plane one time, must have been about ten years ago now, about an Irish teacher. I was really young then so maybe he was Welsh/Scottish/Northern/whatever but definitely outside of cosmopolitan London, though I'm 80% sure it was an Irishman. Anyway, he does something as a social protest (The Troubles? Miner's strike? Maybe something more modern or unimportant?) and yells "LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING TO US!". So later he's teaching a class to some young kids and one of them must have seen the teacher on TV because he started shouting "LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING. LOOK AT WHAT'S HAPPENING UP AT THE BLACKBOARD!" to make fun of the guy. There was also some kind of love story and the guy misses some broad and gets a thousand yard stare as the Smiths begin to play in the background, though that might have just been imagined by me while on drugs. Any ideas? None of the quotes or situations I've got are concrete as it was long ago, but that's the jist of it.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...
What a shame. notcreativeenough is going to lose his mod challenge because he's been probated for a month. See what happens when you're a consistently lovely poster in every forum?

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Tough break, man.

*sips Bud*

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ProfessorClumsy posted:

What a shame. notcreativeenough is going to lose his mod challenge because he's been probated for a month. See what happens when you're a consistently lovely poster in every forum?

PROBATION 06/09/10 07:39pm Nuke Goes KABOOM Welcome to SAS. If your rap sheet wasn't so awful I'd probably just warn you but that's some seriously terrible playoff posting. User loses posting privileges for 3 days.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
This one might be a long shot, but can anyone identify what movie is featured in the screenshot at #6 for the bogeyman entry on this blog: http://aaaaahhhhshark.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/top-ten-scariest-monsters-of-all-time/

I tried contacting the writer, and I seriously want to know what movie features such a creepy looking scene.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

timeandtide posted:

This one might be a long shot, but can anyone identify what movie is featured in the screenshot at #6 for the bogeyman entry on this blog: http://aaaaahhhhshark.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/top-ten-scariest-monsters-of-all-time/

I tried contacting the writer, and I seriously want to know what movie features such a creepy looking scene.

What makes you think it's from a movie? It looks like artwork they found somewhere.

Here: http://www.joshuahoffine.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=3&p=0

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

What makes you think it's from a movie? It looks like artwork they found somewhere.

Here: http://www.joshuahoffine.com/#a=0&at=0&mi=2&pt=1&pi=10000&s=3&p=0

Thanks.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
I'm looking for a realistic space movie (with space shuttles and stuff). There are 2 scenes I remember.

1. A guy in a greenhouse on the moon, who was abandoned or something?

2. They were doing something outside of the ship, and they had a certain amount of fuel, and 1 of them was floating away so the guy tried to save him but he was too far away and he was running out of fuel. Then the guy says, don't come any closer or you won't make it back and takes off his helmet.

Sorry if these are hard to read, but this is what I remember. Anyone know it?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

JohnnyDavidson posted:

I'm looking for a realistic space movie (with space shuttles and stuff). There are 2 scenes I remember.

1. A guy in a greenhouse on the moon, who was abandoned or something?

2. They were doing something outside of the ship, and they had a certain amount of fuel, and 1 of them was floating away so the guy tried to save him but he was too far away and he was running out of fuel. Then the guy says, don't come any closer or you won't make it back and takes off his helmet.

Sorry if these are hard to read, but this is what I remember. Anyone know it?

Mission to Mars

DiabloStarCraft
Oct 12, 2006

What is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"

CATS. CATS ARE NICE
🐱🐱🐱💀🐱🐱🐱
I remember seeing bits of a movie at a party while drunk. The film was a western, possibly? The bit that sticks out in my mind is someone using a guitar case like a remote controlled car, and possibly another guitar case that was a machine-gun. It was almost certainly after the matrix came out, and I think it was on DVD.

Another - Watched this on TV maybe 10+ years ago. Seemed like an 80s or 70s film. Was about kids who were abducted from their parents and they were put in a room with loads of toys in, including a merry-go-round. Aliens might have been involved?

edit: That could well be it, thanks
vvvvvvvvv

DiabloStarCraft fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 12, 2010

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

DiabloStarCraft posted:

I remember seeing bits of a movie at a party while drunk. The film was a western, possibly? The bit that sticks out in my mind is someone using a guitar case like a remote controlled car, and possibly another guitar case that was a machine-gun. It was almost certainly after the matrix came out, and I think it was on DVD.
Once Upon a Time in Mexico?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

DiabloStarCraft posted:

Another - Watched this on TV maybe 10+ years ago. Seemed like an 80s or 70s film. Was about kids who were abducted from their parents and they were put in a room with loads of toys in, including a merry-go-round. Aliens might have been involved?

This sounds similar to the Are You Afraid of the Dark episode, The Tale of the Thirteenth Floor.

quote:

Two siblings discover an elevator floor filled with strange toys and games — and alien parents who want their daughter back.

Edit: I'm not one of those weird people that has thousands of tapes of old Nickelodeon shows or anything, this one just stuck with me for some reason.

Fedaykin
Mar 24, 2004
I saw this movie last year at an indie theater. The movie was about a couple who meet, fall in love, and break up. The thing that made it unique was the narrative jumped around in time from future to past. One scene that kept reappearing was the couple at another couples wedding where they were getting along well. The ending was sort of a surprise. The scenes at the wedding reception occurred after they broke up but decided to get back together realizing it would be rough at points.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

Fedaykin posted:

I saw this movie last year at an indie theater. The movie was about a couple who meet, fall in love, and break up. The thing that made it unique was the narrative jumped around in time from future to past. One scene that kept reappearing was the couple at another couples wedding where they were getting along well. The ending was sort of a surprise. The scenes at the wedding reception occurred after they broke up but decided to get back together realizing it would be rough at points.
(500) Days of Summer :dance: except they do not get back together

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
I remember watching a movie when I was half asleep a couple years ago about the coming apocalypse, the characters knew exactly when it was going to happen and prepared for it differently. One has sex with all sorts of women and it ends with a man and a woman shooting each other as the shot fades out.

Any ideas?

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Henron posted:

I remember watching a movie when I was half asleep a couple years ago about the coming apocalypse, the characters knew exactly when it was going to happen and prepared for it differently. One has sex with all sorts of women and it ends with a man and a woman shooting each other as the shot fades out.

Any ideas?

Probably Last Night. One of my favorite overlooked movies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

ClydeUmney posted:

Probably Last Night. One of my favorite overlooked movies. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0156729/

Is that the very Canadian feeling one. (IMBD says that theone you linked was a CBC production, so I am assuming it is, but...)

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose

ClydeUmney posted:

Thanks so much, such a great movie.

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

Keanu Grieves posted:

(500) Days of Summer :dance: except they do not get back together

To be fair Joseph Gordon Levitt's character thought they were going to get back together and was later crushed when Zooey Deschanel's character got proposed to by her actual boyfriend at the party she had invited him to so if you don't really remember the ending it's easy enough to get tricked into thinking it ends that way.

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
My cousin and I were racking our brains last night trying to remember a movie her mom used to show us all the time when were little kids. It was live action but had some sort of puppets or midgets in fuzzy costumes. Two kids, a brother and sister we think (we could be wrong) get pulled into a fantasy world by the cute cuddly puppet things. They have to go fix something to make their world happy again or something. The whole movie they are being chased by this monster that looks like a furry elephant and at the end they get cornered by it, but they make it a nice monster because they hug it and tell it that they love him.

This was probably around 88 or earlier. I'm sorry this is so horribly vague.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

KillRoy posted:

My cousin and I were racking our brains last night trying to remember a movie her mom used to show us all the time when were little kids. It was live action but had some sort of puppets or midgets in fuzzy costumes. Two kids, a brother and sister we think (we could be wrong) get pulled into a fantasy world by the cute cuddly puppet things. They have to go fix something to make their world happy again or something. The whole movie they are being chased by this monster that looks like a furry elephant and at the end they get cornered by it, but they make it a nice monster because they hug it and tell it that they love him.

This was probably around 88 or earlier. I'm sorry this is so horribly vague.

Sounds like it could be The Hugga Bunch movie.

This it?

KillRoy
Dec 28, 2004
I many not go down in history but I'll go down on you sister.
Holy poo poo that was fast. That is it, bless your heart.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Haven't actually seen this but read a synopsis somewhere. I believe it was about a British man who lives with his mom and becomes obsessed with a French woman who moves in nearby

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

My siblings and I used to have this VHS tape we watched all the time that was taped off of TV (Disney Channel, I believe). The first part of the tape was the incredibly trippy Dr Seuss' The Hoober-Bloob Highway

Anyways, the second part of the tape was a movie or made-for-tv special of some kind, I believe it was made by Disney. It was a mixture of live action with animation that featured a guy (played by an older man pretending to be a bunch of different characters including a kid) and it was all about made up aliens from different worlds. I distinctly remember one bit where he was looking through a telescope and talking about how the aliens were his friends. There was also another bit where he was tending to some alien plants and they were alive and started strangling him? The actor was also familiar, I think he was in a ton of live-action Disney stuff.

In any case, the whole thing was really trippy and honestly I don't know how we managed to watch it so many times. I cannot remember the title and scouring all the different Disney production companies on IMDB for something that looked familiar came up blank. I'm guessing this came out in the late 70s or early-to-mid 80s

Anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?

Eyebrows Mulligan
Apr 29, 2009

by Fistgrrl
Hmm, I think I must've posted this before a long time ago. It's kind of difficult though I don't think anyone is going to be able to identify it.

It's a movie with one scene wherein some kind of antagonist character has a toothpick in his mouth and he manoeuvres it into his nostril. I think it has something to do with prison and kids. Maybe a kid-prison.

ianvincible
Jan 23, 2004

Eyebrows Mulligan posted:

Hmm, I think I must've posted this before a long time ago. It's kind of difficult though I don't think anyone is going to be able to identify it.

It's a movie with one scene wherein some kind of antagonist character has a toothpick in his mouth and he manoeuvres it into his nostril. I think it has something to do with prison and kids. Maybe a kid-prison.

Could it be Uncle Buck with John Candy and Macaulay Culkin? There's a scene at the bowling alley where the creepy guy that's hitting on the girl plays with a toothpick with his mouth, but it's been a very long while since I've seen it. It does involve kids, but I don't remember anything like a prison in it.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I'm looking for a move made between the late 70's and mid 80's. Googling for vague descriptions of what I remembered of the movie last time I saw it (more than 20 years ago) only resulted in a thread of someone looking for the same movie. The description is here:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/advice/t-262759.html

quote:

In the early 80s (I think) I saw on TV a movie that featured an old saior who would beachcomb and throw back into the sea anything he found, lest the sea become angry and want it back. An old woman lived by the sea, close to where her significant other died when his ship went down off shore. A wooden figurehead washed ashore from his ship, and she found it before the old man could throw it back. But the sea wanted it, and rose up, threatening to flood the town. Finally, and climactically, she threw it back to the sea, and the sea subsided.

Komet fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Jun 16, 2010

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."
I seen a horror film in the cinema at some stage in the last 5 years. I can't remember the plot at all but that there were two protagonists and I think it was in English (though it might have been in Romanian or French, or at least part of it) but the end involved a girl inside a tunnel under a highway with a child in cons pulling her away or walking.

I know that sounds vague but its been annoying me and my friend since we thought about it last week but we haven't a clue how it ends.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

Brimmy posted:

I seen a horror film in the cinema at some stage in the last 5 years. I can't remember the plot at all but that there were two protagonists and I think it was in English (though it might have been in Romanian or French, or at least part of it) but the end involved a girl inside a tunnel under a highway with a child in cons pulling her away or walking.

I know that sounds vague but its been annoying me and my friend since we thought about it last week but we haven't a clue how it ends.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465203/

Pretty sure this is it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Alan Smithee posted:

Haven't actually seen this but read a synopsis somewhere. I believe it was about a British man who lives with his mom and becomes obsessed with a French woman who moves in nearby

The Science of Sleep?

i got killed
Dec 7, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
There was this Japanese film about this man in Tokyo who lost his job, and he has to pretend he still has it. There was a little boy in it and his name began with a K, he learns to play piano and he plays Claire De Lune at the end. I can't for the life of me remember what its called.

Poison Jam
Mar 29, 2009

Shh...
We're being watched.
There's a film that I can only remember one scene from and it's probably more than 15 years old (I think it was about 15 years ago that I saw it). I think it was a horror film but the scene has a man being injected in the neck by some alien thing and if the man doesnt get the alien new victims to feed on he doesn't inject him and the man goes into really bad withdrawals.

This has been bugging me for ages and every time I ask someone about it they think I've made it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Poison Jam posted:

There's a film that I can only remember one scene from and it's probably more than 15 years old (I think it was about 15 years ago that I saw it). I think it was a horror film but the scene has a man being injected in the neck by some alien thing and if the man doesnt get the alien new victims to feed on he doesn't inject him and the man goes into really bad withdrawals.

This has been bugging me for ages and every time I ask someone about it they think I've made it up.

Brain Damage. Great movie.