Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Becks
Jul 13, 2006
Bulletproof
Oddball request.

It's a Drum&bass track that has this really agressive rap/hiphop part in the beginning. The sound of the DnB track it's self is hard and dancy (think dieselboy), the rapper sounds American, sorta DMX/Xzibit-y.

Long shot, but it's been driving me crazy..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurt_Cobain
Jul 9, 2001
nm, found a source

Kurt_Cobain fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 19, 2010

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
There is a remix of the song "Stand by Me" that is very similar this version http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Bis1mnNcA

In fact it might be the exact same song, only the version I'm looking for has been slowed down a lot more, so it actually sounds good. There is a whole lot of slow techno build up before "bum-bsh".

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Doctor Malaver posted:

Heard a song while on the operating table!

It's old, maybe from the 70's. Kind of funkish and the male vocal sings something like "Heyla... Heyyyla..." or "Ella... Ella..." and then sings some questions to this presumably woman (like Why'd you do this to me - but not exactly that).

Glass Joe posted:

Layla?

No, I knew the description sounds like Layla, I should have eliminated it right from the start. My song is softer and funkier.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Feb 19, 2010

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Doctor Malaver posted:

No, I knew the description sounds like Layla, I should have eliminated it right from the start. My song is softer and funkier.

I figured that was too easy. Just going on lyrics, how about Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Glass Joe posted:

I figured that was too easy. Just going on lyrics, how about Crowded House - Don't Dream It's Over?

Sorry, no :(

LL_Ghoul_J
Oct 22, 2004

Get Heavy

Doctor Malaver posted:

It's old, maybe from the 70's. Kind of funkish and the male vocal sings something like "Heyla... Heyyyla..." or "Ella... Ella..." and then sings some questions to this presumably woman (like Why'd you do this to me - but not exactly that).

Not fitting the criteria exactly, but maybe Hey Joe by Hendrix?

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

LL_Ghoul_J posted:

Not fitting the criteria exactly, but maybe Hey Joe by Hendrix?

No... something obscure, apparently.

Bitrot
Jul 3, 2003

Looking for a trance (or "techno") song from the mid-90s. All I remember is that there is narrative vocal part where a girl is describing some beautiful night at a rave she had or something... and she says "and in that morning..." [everything was beautiful or whatever]. I know it's not a lot to go off, but I only had like 3 or 4 mp3s of that genre in my collection, so I'm guessing it was pretty famous. Not sure why I'm looking for it, except that that line is stuck in my head.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Bitrot posted:

Looking for a trance (or "techno") song from the mid-90s. All I remember is that there is narrative vocal part where a girl is describing some beautiful night at a rave she had or something... and she says "and in that morning..." [everything was beautiful or whatever]. I know it's not a lot to go off, but I only had like 3 or 4 mp3s of that genre in my collection, so I'm guessing it was pretty famous. Not sure why I'm looking for it, except that that line is stuck in my head.

I want to guess N-Trance - Set You Free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3dXSxtk4o

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Final Fart Buttball posted:

Well this is really fuckin vague but I was in a record store yesterday and they were playing some song where a guy yelled "hundreds of dogs! hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of dogs!" at least once. Any idea what song that was?

I'm going to use my recent reply as an excuse to quote my post from December again in the hopes that someone knows what I'm talking about. I can still hear it in my head

Bitrot
Jul 3, 2003

I want to guess N-Trance - Set You Free

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc3dXSxtk4o

Unfortunately not. This part of the vocals wasn't sung, it was like she was just telling a story. Can't help you with the dogs m'fraid.

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Bitrot posted:

Unfortunately not. This part of the vocals wasn't sung, it was like she was just telling a story. Can't help you with the dogs m'fraid.

I'll take a wild guess and say it's something from the Human Traffic or Trainspotting soundtrack. You can check them out if no-one has any better suggestions.

Doran Doran
Jan 10, 2008

I'm looking for a song that plays on the radio occasionally, I don't really have much info on it though. All I can really recall is there's an acoustic ukulele-sounding guitar (maybe it is, I'm pretty retarded at music) with a guy humming something like "oooooh" for most of the song. It's a pretty somber song from the tone I guess. I can't really recall anything else so thanks if someone can identify this!

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease

Doran Doran posted:

I'm looking for a song that plays on the radio occasionally, I don't really have much info on it though. All I can really recall is there's an acoustic ukulele-sounding guitar (maybe it is, I'm pretty retarded at music) with a guy humming something like "oooooh" for most of the song. It's a pretty somber song from the tone I guess. I can't really recall anything else so thanks if someone can identify this!

Maybe its Beirut - Postcards from Italy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzVbXeD_8E

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up

Doran Doran posted:

Train - Hey Soul Sister?

deadfrog
Jun 8, 2004
Happy Birthday, Fucker.
I am trying to remember the name of an artist, a solo male act. I have very little to go on: I've never actually heard his music before.

- I'm pretty sure his (recording) name was only four letters long. It might have been two and two, separated by hyphen. Like when I first heard the name "Ne-Yo" I thought that was probably him but it's definitely definitely not.

- He plays the guitar, and apparently in unusual ways. His debut album (maybe his only?) contains only sounds made with his guitar. (I'm assuming he sings too.) I guess supposedly there was a startling variety in the sounds it contained so this was a big deal. (I thiiink he plays an acoustic but I would venture to guess they used a lot of effects and/or track layering in the studio.)

- He miiight have done some unorthodox percussion stuff too, like either tapping on his guitar's hollow body or beatboxing or soooomething. Or maybe a lot of harmonics or muting on the guitar strings. I dunno, I have this really vague recollection of something like that. Maybe I'm wrong though. He may or may not actually do this stuff on his album.

- I think he's Caucasian. I heard about him very briefly on TV, as a new artist, probably around 2005-2008. His debut album had either just been released or was about to be released. I think he had longer hair, and I don't think they played any music off of his album. It was like a snippet of an interview, and he demo'ed some of the weird stuff he liked to do on his guitar. I can't remember what he did though. At all. aehroa54yehrjio;ehr

- I feel like his debut album was either produced by Nigel Godrich, or released on Parlophone, or something that reminded me of Radiohead. Super maybe.

- Another big maybe: I think he's from New York. Like he was a crazy busking in Central Park until he was "discovered."

Oh man this sounds so dumb.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.
I know it's not her, but I'm getting a kick out of the idea that you are really really misremembering Kaki King.

Doran Doran
Jan 10, 2008

jeff8472 posted:

Maybe its Beirut - Postcards from Italy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjzVbXeD_8E

The Human Cow posted:

Train - Hey Soul Sister?

Neither of this were it, but thanks. I like both of these songs anyways so it helped me out a little. The song I'm looking for is a lot slower than these and is kinda quiet and slow.

Doran Doran fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 22, 2010

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005

Doran Doran posted:

Neither of this were it, but thanks. I like both of these songs anyways so it helped me out a little. The song I'm looking for is a lot slower than these and is kinda quiet and slow.

If it was top 40 radio I want to guess Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

deadfrog posted:

I am trying to remember the name of an artist, a solo male act. I have very little to go on: I've never actually heard his music before.

- I'm pretty sure his (recording) name was only four letters long. It might have been two and two, separated by hyphen. Like when I first heard the name "Ne-Yo" I thought that was probably him but it's definitely definitely not.

- He plays the guitar, and apparently in unusual ways. His debut album (maybe his only?) contains only sounds made with his guitar. (I'm assuming he sings too.) I guess supposedly there was a startling variety in the sounds it contained so this was a big deal. (I thiiink he plays an acoustic but I would venture to guess they used a lot of effects and/or track layering in the studio.)

- He miiight have done some unorthodox percussion stuff too, like either tapping on his guitar's hollow body or beatboxing or soooomething. Or maybe a lot of harmonics or muting on the guitar strings. I dunno, I have this really vague recollection of something like that. Maybe I'm wrong though. He may or may not actually do this stuff on his album.

- I think he's Caucasian. I heard about him very briefly on TV, as a new artist, probably around 2005-2008. His debut album had either just been released or was about to be released. I think he had longer hair, and I don't think they played any music off of his album. It was like a snippet of an interview, and he demo'ed some of the weird stuff he liked to do on his guitar. I can't remember what he did though. At all. aehroa54yehrjio;ehr

- I feel like his debut album was either produced by Nigel Godrich, or released on Parlophone, or something that reminded me of Radiohead. Super maybe.

- Another big maybe: I think he's from New York. Like he was a crazy busking in Central Park until he was "discovered."

Oh man this sounds so dumb.

I'm also looking for this guy, I don't believe there was a hyphen in his name though.

Doran Doran
Jan 10, 2008

If it was top 40 radio I want to guess Jason Mraz - I'm Yours

I don't think it was top 40 radio, it was only played occasionally. It's kinda funny because the first few notes played remind me a lot of I'm Yours and it usually confused me for the first second. Damnit, I'll never find this drat song.

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Doran Doran posted:

I don't think it was top 40 radio, it was only played occasionally. It's kinda funny because the first few notes played remind me a lot of I'm Yours and it usually confused me for the first second. Damnit, I'll never find this drat song.

Maybe "New Slang"?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q322n-f3FlU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Doran Doran posted:

I'm betting it's Bruddah Iz.

Doran Doran
Jan 10, 2008

saintonan posted:

I'm betting it's Bruddah Iz.

gently caress yes thank you fellow HBD player !

positively punk
Jan 26, 2005
I was having a really crazy day and I jumped in the passengers seat of my car and blasted the radio. Very rare since I despise the radio. Heard this really upbeat song about time travel and going for a wild ride or something to that extent. Bassed out. I tried google and youtube and would LOVE to hear it again....

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
:) This thread is gooooooood...

My request:

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18842432&cfilm=122744.html

What is the first song played in that video ?? :)

I and Frau
Sep 7, 2009
please identify the song (title or composer) in the following youtube video!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXboF_A1cA

(opera/classical/somethinglikethis)

I know I -should- know this but I can't remember who/what it is. Pretty sure it should be really easy for anyone decently well-versed in this sort of music, though.

thanks!

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
poo poo. Dude I knew from another forum had a song he played in a set like 3 years ago. Haven't talked to him in ages, his site's down, and I've since lost the set. I just popped open albeton and recreated the main melody from the track, its the chorus and a guy's voice, kinda sounds like he would belong in a boyband. Its a definite summer track and the sound makes me want to place it in the early 2000's, got some female vocals as background in there somewhere and its got a rap for the verse iirc. I remember snipits of lyrics from the chorus but googling them in conjuction with each other in various combinations has been no help whatsoever. Oh and right, the melody (play it through twice for the full chorus, and I think the first time through that riff the last few syllables he says 'prove me wrong'.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

I and Frau posted:

please identify the song (title or composer) in the following youtube video!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXboF_A1cA

(opera/classical/somethinglikethis)

I know I -should- know this but I can't remember who/what it is. Pretty sure it should be really easy for anyone decently well-versed in this sort of music, though.

thanks!

It's not from Holst's The Planets?

Green Eyed Loco-Man
Aug 27, 2008

Dawncloack posted:

:) This thread is gooooooood...

My request:

http://www.allocine.fr/video/player_gen_cmedia=18842432&cfilm=122744.html

What is the first song played in that video ?? :)

Paul McCartney - Momma Miss America
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbHWx98zf_M

pike
Feb 6, 2001

Becks posted:

Oddball request.

It's a Drum&bass track that has this really agressive rap/hiphop part in the beginning. The sound of the DnB track it's self is hard and dancy (think dieselboy), the rapper sounds American, sorta DMX/Xzibit-y.

Long shot, but it's been driving me crazy..

Might need more information on this one. But the first thing that popped in my mind was Adam F+Redman remixed by Roni Size.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IR-eY9mIECQ

pike
Feb 6, 2001

Here's one I'm trying to hunt down. The following is a clip of a radio DJ in southern California (Jason Bentley, 89.9 KCRW)

I'm trying to figure out what song is playing in the background as he talks. Usually the station does a good job of adding playlists, but in this case they didn't. I thought maybe Massive Attack? I can't track it down for the life of me.

bomblol
Jul 17, 2009

my first crapatar

Doctor Malaver posted:

Bit of a stretch, but is it Oh lord, why lord by Parliament?
http://www.last.fm/music/Parliament/_/Oh%2BLord%252C%2BWhy%2BLord%252FPrayer

If you need to, jump closer to the end, where it turns into more of a funk song.

Two older posts, if the posters are still in the thread...

bumpizza posted:

This should be simple. I know the chorus of a smooth (neo?)-soul song contains the lyrics, "Things just ain't workin' out", which is sung in a sort of falsetto voice. Help me find it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQklopXpQGA
Just ain't gonna work out, Mayer Hawthorne?

Ivan Drago posted:

Here's an impossible challenge for someone looking to identify a tough song:

I was a bartender at a Mexican restaurant ten years ago. The kitchen radio was always tuned to the local Latin radio station and they played this one particular song over and over. It had repetitive lyrics where the singer basically said the same word over and over again along with the melody of the song. I believe the word was "towa" or something like that. I asked who the group was at the time and one of the cooks said it was Tropical, but there may have been something lost in translation. I've searched on and off for top Mexican hits from the late 90s as well as this Tropical group but nothing has provided a solution yet. It's been ten years since I heard the song so I can't remember many more details. My only hope is that someone knows what I'm referring to off the top of their head as it may have been a huge hit for all I know.
If you're still interested this, a nice place to start would probably be http://www.barbesrecords.com/rootsofchicha.html

bomblol fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Feb 26, 2010

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Anyway, I hate to bump but it's been like a year and i still have no clue, so if this rings a bell:

Alright, there was this really stupid, catchy and fun early 90's-sounding funk/r&b song that played on the local college station earlier this year during a show on music from Latin America where the DJ is either faking an accent or is really from there and can hardly speak English. I saved the song from the station's archives, but even though I have no idea what it is uploading it might be (files), so I transcribed the lyrics real quick.

We're having a ball, the party's on
Everybody's wall to wall
Dancing everywhere, letting down the hair
The music feels so good, let's wake up the neighborhood

Let's get this party on
We're moving on and on

You came just like me
Everybody here is glad they came
You came just like me
We all dance to the beat just the same

Everybody here has got a reason
I said, "What they doing here?"
Rocking down the house, shaking the rafters
Dancing like they never danced before

Let's get this party on
We're moving on and on
Well, we got this party going
We're here all night long

You came just like me
Everybody here is glad they came
You came just like me
We all dance to the beat just the same

As long as the feeling's right we'll stay right here all night
We come to town!

(Ends with a silly rap)

Let me know. The song really isn't that great, but I want to know who it is god drat it!

I and Frau
Sep 7, 2009

100 Years in Iraq posted:

It's not from Holst's The Planets?

this is a good guess, and would be appropriate in the context of what it was used for in the video (I guess) -- but nonetheless it doesn't seem to be!

any other guesses?

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
I'm looking for an electro house song I heard at a rave. It had lyrics, and I can remember that it went something like "douchebag DJs playing douchebag clubs." I can't find this anywhere, and I reckon it's pretty new? It sounds cheesy as gently caress but it was catchy.

Rippig
Jan 18, 2009
Gah, I've been trying to think of what this song is, but I can't think of it.

The music video is a girl in a cafe just singing and something like:

She goes into a coffee shop and its raining and the man in the window da da da dada da da da and there's a woman whos in a hurry and she thinks no one is looking and she hikes up her skirt

The DA DA DA part is sampled from Puttin on the Ritz I believe.

Been bugging me for a while.

Glass Joe
Mar 9, 2007

Rippig posted:

Gah, I've been trying to think of what this song is, but I can't think of it.

The music video is a girl in a cafe just singing and something like:

She goes into a coffee shop and its raining and the man in the window da da da dada da da da and there's a woman whos in a hurry and she thinks no one is looking and she hikes up her skirt

The DA DA DA part is sampled from Puttin on the Ritz I believe.

Been bugging me for a while.

Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner.

Also used by Weird Al in one of his polkas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rippig
Jan 18, 2009

Glass Joe posted:

Suzanne Vega - Tom's Diner.

Also used by Weird Al in one of his polkas.

Life. Saver.