Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Blue Horeshoe Loves Anacot Steel

DNova posted:

I have a box full of expired superia 110 that I'd like to use. Trouble is, nobody seems to be processing 110 anymore. While there are a couple of places on the internet that still process and print 110, I'm wondering if I can process them with B&W chemicals.

I've read you can cross process C-41 in B&W chems, but I've never done any darkroom work at all so I don't know if there's an equipment limitation for handling the film itself.

How are you going to develop it? Do you have a reel that can handle 110 film?

Honestly, I think 110 is one of those formats that is just not worth the trouble. It's always sucked. You might be better off selling it on eBay to the Lomo people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

killabyte posted:

How are you going to develop it? Do you have a reel that can handle 110 film?

Honestly, I think 110 is one of those formats that is just not worth the trouble. It's always sucked. You might be better off selling it on eBay to the Lomo people.

I'm positive it's going to suck, but that's not really the point. So I need to get a reel for 110 film, is that the only thing I would need that a rental darkroom might not have?

Hmm, after checking ebay it seems this film might actually be worth something.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

DNova posted:

I'm positive it's going to suck, but that's not really the point. So I need to get a reel for 110 film, is that the only thing I would need that a rental darkroom might not have?

Hmm, after checking ebay it seems this film might actually be worth something.

Most likely all you need is the reel and a tank it will fit in. You are better off selling it and buying some other film.

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004
Scored a Minolta X-570 at the flea market today for $15. The lens it came with had a little fungus and the light seals needed to be replaced but it works fine otherwise. Neat little camera that just screams "1980s".

KosherNostra
Jan 1, 2005

WHERE DA PIRATES AT?
So I might have a chance to get some Kodachrome...but it expired in 1980. Any thoughts on if i should even bother? I can't find kodachrome anywhere and would like to shoot a few more rolls before it's gone for good.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I've been looking through my old scans of film, both 135 and 120, and I've been noticing particular lens' and films working together quite well, and others not so much.

In particular, my Minolta Hi-Matic 7sII with its Rokor f/1.7 lens shoots Ilford XP2 really nicely, yet I've tried both Fuji and Kodak colour negatives/slides and they just don't seem to work so well, the colour never seems right.

Also going through the Kodachrome shots, I've found that images shot with my Pentax-SMC 50mm f/1.7 have much richer colour compared to the 28mm f/2.8 that I used on a number of landscape shots.

Does anyone else have recommendations for film/lens combinations that work well?

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Question for all of you. I just saw a good deal for a canon AE-1 with a 50mm 1.4 and other lenses for 50 dollars and have been looking into trying out film/good manual focus lenses. The question I have is though, if I don't have the space/resources/time to do my own lab work, what are my options really? Is it one of those things where getting 35mm film developed now costs a lot and isn't done well?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Blindeye posted:

Question for all of you. I just saw a good deal for a canon AE-1 with a 50mm 1.4 and other lenses for 50 dollars and have been looking into trying out film/good manual focus lenses. The question I have is though, if I don't have the space/resources/time to do my own lab work, what are my options really? Is it one of those things where getting 35mm film developed now costs a lot and isn't done well?

It's about as cheap as it always has been. Developing C-41 (regular print film) costs $2-2/roll where I am, I think a CD of the scanned images is $5. The resolution is nothing to write home about though; fine for the web but not really useful if you're printing. Now that I have a scanner that handles negatives, I only do it when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy and want to get them online in a hurry.

It's not that the developing itself isn't done well (most of those machines they just put the film in one end and wait for it to come out the other automatically) but if it's not a pro lab you can count on your negs picking up scratches and whatnot from being manhandled by the indifferent employees. That's one of the things that drew me to processing my own B&W; full control over the whole process. It's really not terribly involved; it takes like 15 minutes and most tanks can do two rolls at a time. People are often selling the stuff on Craigslist for almost nothing since everyone's going digital.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."
Just to chime in, as far as space needed: I keep all my developing supplies in a plastic storage tote. I do my developing at my kitchen sink and I hang the negatives to dry on the shower curtain rod in the bathroom. The chemicals aren't even all that smelly so when I'm not actively developing nobody has a clue that I do it at home.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It's about as cheap as it always has been. Developing C-41 (regular print film) costs $2-2/roll where I am, I think a CD of the scanned images is $5. The resolution is nothing to write home about though; fine for the web but not really useful if you're printing. Now that I have a scanner that handles negatives, I only do it when I'm feeling exceptionally lazy and want to get them online in a hurry.

It's not that the developing itself isn't done well (most of those machines they just put the film in one end and wait for it to come out the other automatically) but if it's not a pro lab you can count on your negs picking up scratches and whatnot from being manhandled by the indifferent employees. That's one of the things that drew me to processing my own B&W; full control over the whole process. It's really not terribly involved; it takes like 15 minutes and most tanks can do two rolls at a time. People are often selling the stuff on Craigslist for almost nothing since everyone's going digital.

Which scanner have you gone with and does it give nice results?

I'm still trying to decide between a flatbed canon or epson, or possible a dedicated 35mm one.

Thanks.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

EvilRic posted:

I'm still trying to decide between a flatbed canon or epson, or possible a dedicated 35mm one.

Thanks.

The V500 is great for the price, I have one and it works very well. Overall the Epsons seem very popular around here. Neither will do 4x5 negative scans, which probably isn't an issue for most people. Someday you may want medium format though.

Keep in mind you probably won't get real 6400 DPI resolution from any consumer scanner, so take the promised resolutions with a grain of salt. That said, there's plenty to work with.

e: It's a bit of a special case, but if you have boatloads of 35mm to digitize, the CoolScan 9000ED is a kickass scanner. It has a hopper feed that's a bit problematic, but it should be a bit easier to babysit. If you've got the cash to float, buy used, scan your stuff, resell it, and think of the difference as the cost (lower selling price, PayPal fees, Ebay fees, or whatever) of renting it. It shouldn't depreciate much.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Aug 2, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EvilRic posted:

Thanks.

Yeah, I've got a V500. It's given me no major troubles, although it's been having weird connection issues since I reinstalled Windows last month.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The V500 is great for the price, I have one and it works very well. Overall the Epsons seem very popular around here. Neither will do 4x5 negative scans, which probably isn't an issue for most people. Someday you may want medium format though.

fwiw it does 4x5. you just have to scan it twice and auto-stitch :downs:

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

fwiw it does 4x5. you just have to scan it twice and auto-stitch :downs:

What do you use for a holder?

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

heh what holder?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
What up in this film thread bitches????

The amount of :smug: on my face right now is off. the. charts.

My Flickr Page! :nws:

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Because you own the ugliest (film) camera ever produced?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

:( drat you're right. And here I thought the important thing was build quality, features, and optics.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

gently caress you, McMadCow. Just, gently caress you.
Also, why'd you get the zoom?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I've had the zoom for years. I got it because it's a constant aperture. I'm actually planning on selling it real soon though. Probably get the 35 f2 in its stead. I'm just going to stick with primes. Next up is the 180mm f2.8, I think.

I have no idea how this thing works yet. I've been using an R4 for almost 6 years and that thing is the definition of simplicity. This thing has all sorts of gizmos on it that I need to learn.

As far as the ugly shape goes, it actually allows for a real easy ergonomic grip on it.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

Reichstag posted:

Because you own the ugliest (film) camera ever produced?

:colbert:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

drat you MadCow, drat you to hell!

Jealous

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

guidoanselmi posted:

:colbert:

Call and raise you:

McMadCow posted:

What up in this film thread bitches????

The amount of :smug: on my face right now is off. the. charts.

I've always wanted to ask you, how come you favor a 35mm system over a Hasselblad or something?

fartzilla
Dec 30, 2009

how disgusting

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Call and raise you:

dear God I want that so badly

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

KosherNostra posted:

So I might have a chance to get some Kodachrome...but it expired in 1980. Any thoughts on if i should even bother? I can't find kodachrome anywhere and would like to shoot a few more rolls before it's gone for good.
It's most likely going to be color shifted toward peach/magenta, but it's an awesome vintage look. I say go for it.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Call and raise you:

That is way better looking than any of the rounded plastic Nikons and Canons of the 90s.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Call and raise you:

One of those silly things is sitting on the shelf at the camera shop right across the street from me. It's been there for about six years now.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've always wanted to ask you, how come you favor a 35mm system over a Hasselblad or something?

I like the spontaniety I get with 35mm. I stage shots a lot, but once I'm in a shooting position I recompose a lot and I'm always on the lookout for the model to do interesting things. 35mm is small enough and fast enough that I can keep on top of that.
I'm definitely shooting a lot more mmedium format lately, though. I have a 6x6 and a 645 system and between them MF is probably about 1/3 of the shooting I'm doing.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Reichstag posted:

That is way better looking than any of the rounded plastic Nikons and Canons of the 90s.

It really looks like a sub-holga knock-off camera that you see in dollar stores.

EvilRic
May 18, 2007

come have a nice cup of tea!
I don't really understand film expiration.

What's the likelyhood of Fujichrome Provia 400F that expired in 2005, being worth a go?

I don't mind, infact i would like it, if it came out with interesting colour distortion etc but if it's just going to be a total waste of time i'd rather just bin it.

I don't think it's been kept refrigerated in the last year or 2.

I assume it's pretty useless?

Thanks.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I'd say its probably fine, but there's a chance it could come out looking grainy. You could try shooting at ISO 200 and getting it processed in C-41.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

EvilRic posted:

It's basically the manufacturer's guarantee that the film will be within spec (barring you doing something like keeping it on the dashboard of your car 24/7 or something) until a certain point. They give themselves some wiggle-room, which is why not all expired film is bad (or even noticeably different). It will depend on the type/make of film, how it was stored, and any variables that occurred during the manufacturing process.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

EvilRic posted:

What's the likelyhood of Fujichrome Provia 400F that expired in 2005, being worth a go?

I don't mind, infact i would like it, if it came out with interesting colour distortion etc but if it's just going to be a total waste of time i'd rather just bin it.

I don't think it's been kept refrigerated in the last year or 2.

I assume it's pretty useless?

Thanks.

I routinely use 99-cent rolls of medium format color film (iso 100) that expired 10+ years ago. 2005 and partly refrigerated should be just fine, I'd think.

If you're doing paid work (especially studio work) that has to be reliable and consistent between rolls, don't use expired film. Otherwise, it probably doesn't matter much. You might see a bit more graininess. If it was really badly stored (too hot, too humid) or quite old, you'll start getting color shifts (either discolorations within the image, or a general hue change throughout), base fogging, and some loss of film speed.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Aug 6, 2010

killabyte
Feb 11, 2004

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

I routinely use 99-cent rolls of medium format color film that expired 10+ years ago. 2005 and partly refrigerated should be just fine, I'd think.

If you're doing paid work (especially studio work) that has to be reliable and consistent between rolls, don't use expired film. Otherwise, it probably doesn't matter much. You might see a bit more graininess. If it was really badly stored (too hot, too humid) or quite old, you'll start getting color shifts (either discolorations within the image, or a general hue change througout), base fogging, and some loss of film speed.

One thing I will caution people on is using expired high speed film. I don't think I would trust 800+ speed film if it is more than a couple of years out of date. It is much more sensitive to cosmic rays (which eventually does in ALL film), so shooting it is likely to yield poor results.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

killabyte posted:

One thing I will caution people on is using expired high speed film. I don't think I would trust 800+ speed film if it is more than a couple of years out of date. It is much more sensitive to cosmic rays (which eventually does in ALL film), so shooting it is likely to yield poor results.

I agree with this, I've had some really lackluster results with a batch of expired Superia 1600 I bought on eBay, and it only got worse as time passed.

JizJizJiz
Apr 18, 2005
I don't want to cause trouble - but I figured I should cross post this here

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3163404&pagenumber=142#post380617290

I'm a strictly digital guy who's only been shooting for about 1 1/2 years. I miiight keep the best example of each camera but the rest has got to go. I'm fairly certain there's no SUPER lenses in there. So what do I do?

Hollis Brown
Oct 17, 2004

It's like people only do things because they get paid, and that's just really sad
Pretty noob question here but I recently picked up a spotmatic on craigslist and I believe I have successfully loaded film. However the frame indicator didn't exactly line up with 0 when I advanced it, and is a little past it. Does this matter?

edit: I thought about it and it doesn't matter. I guess the only content I can add is that the Wein zinc-air cell battery I ordered from B&H works great if you ever need one.

Hollis Brown fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Aug 6, 2010

fronkpies
Apr 30, 2008

You slithered out of your mother's filth.

JizJizJiz posted:

So what do I do?

If I where you? Keep it all, regardless of using it or not, I would still keep it all, but I love collecting stuff and would honestly just love to have a couple of shelves lined with that stuff.

I suppose its better letting it go to a good home, where people could actually use it, but I would keep it all, hands down.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Hollis Brown posted:

Pretty noob question here but I recently picked up a spotmatic on craigslist and I believe I have successfully loaded film. However the frame indicator didn't exactly line up with 0 when I advanced it, and is a little past it. Does this matter?

The only way to find out for sure is to shoot a test roll. It's a possibility that the actual frame spacing may be off, but generally the frame counter isn't a huge thing to get worried about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JizJizJiz
Apr 18, 2005

fronkpies posted:

If I where you? Keep it all, regardless of using it or not, I would still keep it all, but I love collecting stuff and would honestly just love to have a couple of shelves lined with that stuff.

I suppose its better letting it go to a good home, where people could actually use it, but I would keep it all, hands down.

My inner demented self agrees - but it defies all logic. I think at most, I will keep the best condition piece of each variety.