Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
The hit detection in Secret of Mana is awful. You'll notice this espeically when you power up your strike to a high level, let it rip on an enemy and totally miss because either the enemy is in an invincibility animation or one of your party members just hit it. You'll figure out when you can hit and do damage pretty quickly.

You can level up many of your spells, especially healing, at INNS. just cast the spells until you run out of MP, sleep, and repeat.

The best weapons are sword, spear and axe. Whip is ok. There's really not much reason to use anything else.

Always carry a bunch of walnuts to replensh MP for healing and buffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Bigass Moth posted:

The hit detection in Secret of Mana is awful. You'll notice this espeically when you power up your strike to a high level, let it rip on an enemy and totally miss because either the enemy is in an invincibility animation or one of your party members just hit it. You'll figure out when you can hit and do damage pretty quickly.

You can level up many of your spells, especially healing, at INNS. just cast the spells until you run out of MP, sleep, and repeat.

The best weapons are sword, spear and axe. Whip is ok. There's really not much reason to use anything else.

Always carry a bunch of walnuts to replensh MP for healing and buffs.

Listen to everything here about the "not much reason to use anything else".

There are 8 weapons in the game. Use whichever three you think are the "coolest". I recommend keeping the sword on the Boy, but give the girl the boomerang and the sprite the javelin if those weapons interest you.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I just got Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (which is the Wii version) and could use some tips. I don't know what the blended drinks do, for example, other than heal you. And do you need to go exploring between missions to get good stuff?

Bloodcider
Jun 19, 2009

Dr Snofeld posted:

I just got Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop (which is the Wii version) and could use some tips. I don't know what the blended drinks do, for example, other than heal you. And do you need to go exploring between missions to get good stuff?

Man, the original Dead Rising is one of my favorite games. I never played the Wii version though. Wish I could help.

In the original, when you drank a blended drink its name would appear at the corner of the screen. There was Nectar (Orange), which attracted a single queen for you to capture. I dunno if they have that in the Wii version. Blue was Spitfire, which made your spit basically like a handgun. White was Quickstep, I think, which made you walk really really fast. Purple was Untouchable, which meant zombies couldn't latch onto you. Black was Randomizer, which just fucks up your stomach and makes you puke randomly.

Exploring - again, in the real Dead Rising - is a pretty important thing since you could always find item spawns and shortcuts and generally know your way around the mall much better. It's probably worth your time to poke your nose into nooks and crannies, raid the shops, and what not. They took out the ability to jump though, didn't they?

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof

Bloodcider posted:

Man, the original Dead Rising is one of my favorite games. I never played the Wii version though. Wish I could help.

In the original, when you drank a blended drink its name would appear at the corner of the screen. There was Nectar (Orange), which attracted a single queen for you to capture. I dunno if they have that in the Wii version. Blue was Spitfire, which made your spit basically like a handgun. White was Quickstep, I think, which made you walk really really fast. Purple was Untouchable, which meant zombies couldn't latch onto you. Black was Randomizer, which just fucks up your stomach and makes you puke randomly.

Exploring - again, in the real Dead Rising - is a pretty important thing since you could always find item spawns and shortcuts and generally know your way around the mall much better. It's probably worth your time to poke your nose into nooks and crannies, raid the shops, and what not. They took out the ability to jump though, didn't they?

And take pictures.

That was probably my favorite part of the original game.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
It controls pretty much exactly like Resident Evil 4 (and shares some weapons apparently - I know I saw the Red9 in the manual). So no jumping, but Remote aiming. Good for those loving parrots.

It doesn't have the real-time time limit thing that the original apparently has, nor are you so weak at the start that you need to start over a bunch of times to get enough experience to proceed.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dr Snofeld posted:

Although it's not a bad game on it's own terms, the Wii version of Dead Rising had so much chopped out it's laughable. Most books, most special moves, many drinks and items are gone. To make up for it, once you get a gun the game throws truckloads of ammo your way, so forget about improvising and just blast your way through. It's totally linear, no way to miss a survivor. As a final kick in the nuts, they took out infinite mode, which is the reason I bought it in the first place.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The last couple times I levelled up I got "Book+" or similar on the screen but it didn't appear to add books to my inventory. Is there something I'm missing with it?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I got a "Bear" detector. Still can't find poo poo.

I have at least two quests that require me to fetch stuff from inside the base. Besides, it's fun.

Find a clump of anomalies and take out your detector. If you hear a PING there's an artifact in there. The artifact zips around so you have to move in circles until it magically appears. Problem is that all anomalies emit massive amounts of radiation so if you don't have very good armor (and at that point in the game YOU DON'T) then the radiation will kill you before the anomalies do.

Like I said earlier, do all of the Stalker missions and try to help them whenever they ask for it (bandits spawn infinitely and everyone is worthless without you aiding them so there's plenty of opportunities). After an hour or so of playing attrition you'll have enough money to buy the best armor in the game which makes radiation and every anomaly that's not the one which instantly gibs you super trivial. You can pretty much wade into an anomaly pocket, grab the artifact, and walk out while only using two or three health kits. The stalker faction also gives you one of the best detectors when their faction strength is at its highest.

DarkDude98
Jul 22, 2007
Any tips for Railroad Tycoon 2: Platinum?

Picked it up during the Steam sale and have been meaning to play it.
Cheers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dr Snofeld posted:

The last couple times I levelled up I got "Book+" or similar on the screen but it didn't appear to add books to my inventory. Is there something I'm missing with it?
Isn't that supposed to mean the book you carry improves the thing it belongs to?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm replaying Suikoden V for the first time in a couple years. The first time, I got the 108 stars of destiny with minimal guide usage, but I know a few are missable. Can anyone remind me which ones can be missed?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Loofa08 posted:

I never get these perks, especially Bloody Mess. I personally think its super annoying when I shoot a guy in the chest and his arms, legs, and face explode. It makes no sense and happens almost every time. I could care less about the damage boost. And the game was never hard enough where I felt the Mysterious Stranger was needed. That's just me though.

Bloody Mess increases your damage by 5%, so that's useful.

Mysterious Stranger is fun, but somewhat useless -- there's only a 10% chance of him appearing when you've dropped an enemies health below 150 points and he'll sometimes be positioned such that he shoots you, your allies, or terrain obstacles if they're between him and his target.

My Fallout 3 advice:

At level 4, take the Educated perk. (This gives three additional skill points every time you level.)

At level 5, take the Comprehension perk. (This gives you two points from every skill book instead of one. Don't read any skill books you may have collected until you get this perk.)

Skill books are almost never in containers or on bodies, you'll find them laying around out in the open, so be on the lookout for anything booked-shaped that doesn't look burnt.

Don't take any of the following perks:
Lady Killer (not many dialog options, most enemies are male)
Swift Learner (you'll get plenty of XP naturally)
Child at Heart (not many children, the dialog options aren't useful)
Fortune Finder (you'll find plenty caps and stuff to be sold for caps as it is)
Scrounger (ammo generally isn't a problem)
Mister Sandman (you can kill people easily enough when they're asleep already)
Here and Now (again, you'll get plenty of XP)
Cannibal (the animation is long and you only get 25 HP)
Explorer (explore the world yourself)

At early levels, you'll be limited in your choice of perks to those that add points to your skills, so pick the perks that complement whatever play style you've chosen. Once you get better choice of perks, never take one that only increases your skill points -- you can always raise your skill points, but getting the other benefits that perks provide is hard or impossible.

When you're picking perks, keep in mind what your character is capable of through equipment and items -- for example, Rad Resistance may permanently increase your radiation resistance by 25%, but the max tops out at 85% and you'll probably be able to reach that by equipping the right armor and taking a Rad-X, so why waste a perk on that?

If you have the DLC, don't install Broken Steel until either a) you're about to hit level 20 or b) you're about to follow a giant robot. It's mildly broken in that some of it's content leaks into the game world before it should, which spoils the plot and can spawn dangerously overleveled enemies. The rest can be installed at any time, although Point Lookout is definitely end-game content and shouldn't be done until you're high level.

Other than that, be aware that (in the spirit of the previous Fallout games) the main plot can be accidentally short circuited while you're just exploring the world. If you don't want to miss parts of the game, avoid the Rivet City Science Lab and Smith Casey's Garage until you're directed to go there.

There's a wiki: http://fallout.wikia.com. It is hugely useful.

Finally, keep in mind that there's many ways to accomplish your objectives -- you can kill people, convince people, pick locks, get keys to those locks, hack computers controlling the locks, hack computers controlling the turrets that kill people for you, go in with guns blazing, sneak around and kill silently with a flaming sword, save everyone, murder everyone, do whichever pays the most, get paid twice and then murder them, etc.

Above all, have fun.

Edit: One more thing: Save your game! Do not rely on the autosaves -- they don't happen often enough and they can happen at inopportune times (e.g. two seconds before your follower gets killed). There is nothing more irritating than discovering when you die or when the game crashes (and it will crash) that the last time you saved was when you exited a building into the Capital Wasteland 90 minutes ago. Save after you level up, save after you read a skill book, save after you kill anything big and scary, save before you start conversations with quest-related NPCs, save whenever you can't remember the last time you saved, save save save your game.

pseudorandom name fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 29, 2010

Little Blue Couch
Oct 19, 2007

WIRED FOR SOUND
AND
DOWN FOR WHATEVER

Riversideblues posted:

I'm about to play the snes game that had always alluded me, sorry if I've missed it earlier in the thread but can anyone give me a rundown of Secret Of Mana??

(Why does a bar go from 0-100% when I swing my sword?)

Your magic pretty much rules. The hardest bosses in the game are the ones that you fight before you can use magic.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Little Blue Couch posted:

Your magic pretty much rules. The hardest boss in the game is the one that you fight before you can use magic.

This is very true, and since you can only hold 4 faerie walnuts at any given time (that restore only 50 mp) you should really only use Sprite's offensive magic on bosses.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pseudorandom name posted:

Fallout 3

That list is already pretty exhaustive, I just got one more thing to add: In character creation, I recommend putting your Intelligence stat at 10, the maximum.
That way, together with the perks "Educated" and "Comrpehension" (as mentioned above), you should quite easily be able to get all skills to 100, provided you find enough books and bobbleheads.

Also, if you want to blow up megaton, wait a bit until you've thorougly scavenged it, since there is a bit of otherwise missable stuff in it, most notably a bobblehead in Lucas Simms' house.

And for the perks: Try to avoid perks that give you +5 on certain skills, you can get them up to 100 anyhow, so it's just a wasted slot. Instead, try to focus on those that give you abilities that you couldn't get otherwise.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Perestroika posted:

That list is already pretty exhaustive, I just got one more thing to add: In character creation, I recommend putting your Intelligence stat at 10, the maximum.
That way, together with the perks "Educated" and "Comrpehension" (as mentioned above), you should quite easily be able to get all skills to 100, provided you find enough books and bobbleheads.

I just restarted Fallout 3 with an INT of 6, and I'm on track to hit 100 in everything by the time I hit level 30.

Not that having a 100 in everything is necessary to have a great time.

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Perestroika posted:

Also, if you want to blow up megaton, wait a bit until you've thorougly scavenged it, since there is a bit of otherwise missable stuff in it, most notably a bobblehead in Lucas Simms' house.

And for the perks: Try to avoid perks that give you +5 on certain skills, you can get them up to 100 anyhow, so it's just a wasted slot. Instead, try to focus on those that give you abilities that you couldn't get otherwise.

Why not INT 9 because the bobblehead is relatively early in the main quest?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

One final Stalker Clear Sky question - am I correct in assuming that enemies are invulnerable during their "flinching" animation?

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

Evil Badman posted:

Why not INT 9 because the bobblehead is relatively early in the main quest?

8 is fine because Near Perfect will put you at 9, then the bobblehead will give you 10.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My best Fallout 3 advice; if you're the role-playing type, leave the difficulty at medium, then build your character however the hell you want. Fancy being a suave, smooth-talking bounty hunter who befriends animals and seduces women? Go ahead. Medium difficulty is so easy you can do this and still beat the game.

If you want a challenge, crank the difficulty up to the max (it's still not really hard) and use this starting build:

STR 4
INT 9
CHA 1
Luck 8

Grab the INT bobblehead ASAP. It's in the Rivet City science lab.

Educated at 4, Comprehension at 5, Strong Back at 10 or so. Perks that don't give you stat boosts or help you in combat are iffy at best.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Bemis posted:

8 is fine because Near Perfect will put you at 9, then the bobblehead will give you 10.

Near Perfect is a ways away though. The perks of an extra point in Intelligence early on would probably outweigh the benefits of a point in any other stats.

Perfect Potato fucked around with this message at 14:09 on May 29, 2010

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Re: Fallout 3

If you find the following items, grab and stash them away. You'll be glad you did.

Nuka-Kola Quantum
Steam Gauge Assembly
Motorcycle Gas Tank/Brake
Pre-War Books
Fission Battery
Radscorpion Poison Gland
Lunch Box
Turpentine
Abraxo Cleaner
Scrap Metal
Leaf Blower

Also get Repair skill as high as possible as quickly as possible. It makes it much easier to rake in caps when you can consolidate 5 lovely weapons into 1 brand new. Frees up lots of space, too.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

pseudorandom name posted:

Perks list

I'd disagree and say that Scrounger is a perk I always get. It ensures you actually get enough ammo to be able to frequently use weapons like the sniper rifle and scoped magnum, and finding ten rockets instead of one is nice, if only because they're both weightless and extremely valuable to barter with! Also, you'll get a whole lot more Alien Power Cells from the few boxes that contain them, which is great because they're a limited resource.

Basically, after a few levels you'll be swimming in ammo with this perk, which means you'll consequently be swimming in caps. I just find it really handy to get more of the rarer ammo so that I don't have to buy it from Lucky Harith (or Flak & Shrapnel) or do without.

ObertoFromage
Jun 10, 2007

Froggie jumped all over the stage that day...
I'm about to begin my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2. I've never played the first one, but I have a grasp on THAC0 and the DnD ruleset.

Any arbitrary show-stopping points I need to know about?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The difference between "Normal" and "Core" difficulties is essentially you gaining max hp at level up versus a random number and your party members occasionally getting insta-gibbed rather than dying in a ressurrectable fashion. So you might want to stick with the prod with "Normal".

I'm assuming you already know this, but getting your character killed or imprisoned is an instant gameover, while (nearly) every other death is reversible.

You can complete all the quests pretty much at any point in the game up until the penultimate dungeon (you leave the main city for the middle of the game, but come back towards the end)

Get the balduradash and gibberlings 3 fixpacks, as well as "Unfinished Business" - balance tweaks, bug fixes, restoration of deleted content, no "mod bullshit".

You might want to compose your party of characters of similar alignment / neutral, since at least 4 good/evil pairings are incompatible and will eventually duke it out to the death.

At the beginning of the game, you'll quickly get a list of places you might want to visit (most of it will come from strangers approaching you in a tavern). An approximate difficulty scale goes: Trademeet < Nalias Keep < Umar Hills < Firkraag's valley.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

ObertoFromage posted:

I'm about to begin my first playthrough of Baldur's Gate 2. I've never played the first one, but I have a grasp on THAC0 and the DnD ruleset.

Honestly, don't worry about making the perfect character for your first playthrough. There's all kinds of stuff on the Internet about how to make completely broken characters that tear through everything, but whatever. Just choose a class that appeals to you. The game is ultimately easy enough and you'll have powerful NPC's to help you.

Get the fixpack and install it:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2fixpack/

and the widescreen mod:

http://www.gibberlings3.net/widescreen/

and check into the tweakpack

http://www.gibberlings3.net/bg2tweaks/

I wouldn't do any of the content changing stuff in there for your first playthrough, but things like unlimited stacking for weapon ammo is considered pretty helpful. SO you don't have to manage tons of stacks of arrows all the drat time.

Remember that spacebar pauses the game and is mean to be used to let you tell your party what to do next. Basically pause, give everyone commands, then unpause and let them execute those commands, then pause again and setup the next group of commands.

You can do just about every sidequest in chapter 2, but don't worry if you miss some before going to chapter 3, you can finish them up later in the game.

Read up on how to debuff enemy mages, it's a pain to just figure it out yourself if you're not really familiar with the rules or into reading every spell description.

I don't think you can really screw anything up by choosing one option over another...good choices usually give you better rewards, but if you want to be evil go ahead anyways. You can kill the romances if you're mean to one of the love interests when they start talking to you about crap, but eh

Just explore a lot and talk to people

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I picked up Heroes of Might and Magic III a while back and while I understand how to play it, I guess I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to DO when starting a scenario. I read all the tips on the wiki but the early game is throwing me off:
-Should I be killing every mob I see, or waiting to build up a big force and overwhelming them?
-Should I be recruiting new heroes left and right?
-How many casualties in a battle are "acceptable"?
-How do I get around the fact that new troops only come in once a week?
-How long does a typical scenario take to complete (in game time)?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

One final Stalker Clear Sky question - am I correct in assuming that enemies are invulnerable during their "flinching" animation?

Yes, you are wrong (however this was a problem in vanilla SoC so make sure you patch just in case). Armor in general has been beefed VASTLY compared to SoC so that even the most basic of armor can take half a magazine to drop someone. Bandits are small time but once you start fighting military and up you'll want to save normal rounds for mutants and use nothing but armor piercing rounds. Monolith does and once you reach that point they'll tear your armor to loving shreds.

Bemis
Jan 5, 2010

C-Euro posted:

I picked up Heroes of Might and Magic III a while back and while I understand how to play it, I guess I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to DO when starting a scenario. I read all the tips on the wiki but the early game is throwing me off:
-Should I be killing every mob I see, or waiting to build up a big force and overwhelming them?
-How long does a typical scenario take to complete (in game time)?

-Do what you can, doesn't take better numbers or troops to win as the ai isn't breathtakingly intelligent. Some aren't meant to be killed right away. Try to pick off the tier 1 and 2 guys in the start (centaurs, imps, skeletons etc), engage ranged mobs with caution (as casualties are pretty much assured).
-I like to stick with 1 main guy, every town should have a guard for spells and shuttle troops, collect weekly resources. Eventually your main guy will get too far away and then you make a 2nd fighter.
-None ideally. Depends though, try not to lose ranged/expensive ones. Depends on how important the target is really. Generally I wouldn't be pleased losing a third of any given troop unless it was chaff.
-Fight smart, get more towns. Diplomacy helps.

Bemis fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 29, 2010

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Thanks.
Also on the wiki for Fallout, the sfall link actually goes to a mod for Fallout 2. Is that what I'm supposed to be installing?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

C-Euro posted:

Almost always, you should have ONE hero do all your fighting, to maximize his experience and minimize attrition.

You need to learn this from experience. Usually you shouldn't fight a battle that will cost you a significant part of your army... but if the stack is guarding that one gold mine, sometimes it's worth it to go down to the last man.

Build creature dwellings as early as possible, +growth structures too.

DR_Bob84
Apr 13, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Thanks.
Also on the wiki for Fallout, the sfall link actually goes to a mod for Fallout 2. Is that what I'm supposed to be installing?

Sfall is only for fallout 2. For FO1 you only need the FO1 high resolution patch and patch 1.2. (1.3 goes over that one).

Fallout 2 has a High Rez patch too along with Sfall and a choice between the unofficial patch OR the restoration project 2.0 (by the same guy). Don't install both. Update 2e was recently released for the restoration patch.

Just started FO1 myself. Played 2 years ago but never 1. Pretty cool so far. The follower mechanics are a lot worse than in 2 but the story and towns are great so far.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

DR_Bob84 posted:

Sfall is only for fallout 2. For FO1 you only need the FO1 high resolution patch and patch 1.2. (1.3 goes over that one).

Fallout 2 has a High Rez patch too along with Sfall and a choice between the unofficial patch OR the restoration project 2.0 (by the same guy). Don't install both. Update 2e was recently released for the restoration patch.

Just started FO1 myself. Played 2 years ago but never 1. Pretty cool so far. The follower mechanics are a lot worse than in 2 but the story and towns are great so far.

Well there's another problem- every time I try to change resolution the game flips out on me. The readme for the res patch made it sound like I merely had to run the exe that was in the wiki download, did I miss something?

Vidaeus
Jan 27, 2007

Cats are gonna cat.
I've just started Risen. It seems quite hard. Any missables or tips?

Valvados
Sep 11, 2002

Night brings its wetness to beaches in your soul
I saw a request for Torchlight a few pages ago, but didn't see any response, so I'd like to toss out my own request for this as well, since I'm planning on getting it today or tomorrow. I'm planning on playing as an Alchemist, and was wondering if there were any really effective spells/skills I should make sure to pick up, or any that seem like they might be great but really aren't.

Also, I was reading through the manual and I was wondering if I understood it correctly: can you pick any ability out of any of the 3 skill trees as long as you have the level requirement, or do you have to have the lower abilities from that tree as prereqs?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Valvados posted:

I saw a request for Torchlight a few pages ago, but didn't see any response, so I'd like to toss out my own request for this as well, since I'm planning on getting it today or tomorrow. I'm planning on playing as an Alchemist, and was wondering if there were any really effective spells/skills I should make sure to pick up, or any that seem like they might be great but really aren't.

Also, I was reading through the manual and I was wondering if I understood it correctly: can you pick any ability out of any of the 3 skill trees as long as you have the level requirement, or do you have to have the lower abilities from that tree as prereqs?

Yeah, you can pick anything you're high enough level for. Personally when I went alchemist I got all the minion talents first, then the talent that lets you cast a spell that buffs minion damage. Stuff MELTED.

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

ObertoFromage posted:

There are a couple places in Athkatla (the Guarded Compound in the Temple District, the sealed door in the Docks District, the secret door in the Gate District, and the two sarcophagi beneath the Temple and Sewers Districts) where you can run into very powerful enemies without warning. Not only is it a good idea to avoid those encounters early on, it's also a good idea to remember them and come back later when you're more powerful, because the enemies will drop some of the most powerful items in the game.

I found it really really useful to set my thief's AI script to Adventurer, so that he auto-detects traps whenever the party isn't in combat. Go into your Character Sheet→ Customize →Scripts to edit them. Most scripts are worthless because BG2 is about micromanaging combat so that your characters never waste a second, but some scripts save you time, like telling your assassin to auto-stealth or telling your mage to avoid melee combat.

You might also want to mess around with your autopause setting. I usually have mine autopause when the party sees an enemy and when a character kills their target. It helps prevent enemies from getting the jump on you.

You don't need to worry about doing all the wilderness quests (De'Arnise Keep, Trademeet, Umar Hills, etc.) before Chapter 4. You'll get a chance to complete them again in Chapter 6. However, you might want to try to finish as many as possible just for the extra experience early on.

Tab will highlight items on the ground and containers, as well as displaying each character's hitpoints above their heads.

When you first travel at night around Athkatla, you might run into streetfights between the vampires and the Shadow Thieves, two rival guilds. It's a really bad idea to get involved, most because at lower levels the combatants (especially the vampires) can kill your party quickly. However, it's worth noting that siding with either guild in the streetfights won't affect your eventual interactions with their leaders.

If you want to create your entire party on your own (instead of using the party-joinable NPCs that the game provides), start a multiplayer game, make your characters, start the game, then save. Go into your BG2 directory, find the MPSAVE folder, find your saved game inside, and copy the savegame folder into the SAVE folder. Then you can load your multiplayer characters and play in single-player mode (which has shorter load times and such).

You'll come across artifacts in the course of the game that can be brought to a certain smith in Athkatla who'll turn them into some powerful items. The artifacts can sometimes be obvious, like the wave shaft or the vorpal blade, but some are just ordinary items like the Gauntlets of Ogre Power. It might help to find a list of the unique items as well as their component pieces if you don't want to miss out on making them.

Each character class (Rogue, Arcane Magic, Divine Magic, Ranger, Paladin, Fighter, Bard) has a unique stronghold with a series of quests associated with it. Without cheating or exploiting bugs, you can only have one stronghold per game. So if you're a multi or dual-classed character, you may want to pick ahead of time so you don't wind up accidentally accepting the wrong one.

You'll want to familiarize yourself with a few game concepts that will really gently caress you over if you're not prepared for them:

- Level drain. Certain enemies in the game (vampires, wraiths, shadows, undead creatures) will “drain levels” from your character. If your character’s level is drained past 1, they die. Level draining doesn’t technically hurt the character, just reverts them to a lower level (with that level’s proficiencies, THACO, spells, hitpoints, saving throws, and everything else). Level draining can only be cured by a restoration spell (which divine spellcasters have access to, and which can also be purchased at temples or in scroll format). Level draining can only be prevented by the divine spell “Negative Plane Protection” (which only affects one character and lasts for a short time) or by wielding certain items which confer the same effect.
- Regenerating enemies. Trolls can only be killed with fire or acid. When they reach “Near Death” status, they’ll collapse and begin regenerating. If they aren’t struck with fire or acid (whether magical or otherwise), they’ll eventually rise with full health and begin attacking again.
- Beholders. If you've played DnD before, you know what these guys are. If not, they're floating monster-heads with one main cyclopean eye and dozens of eyes on tentacles. They shoot death-rays from all their eyes. One can decimate your party. Groups of them will end your game. Most of the encounters with Beholders are optional, but if you’re dead set, download the official patch, and it’ll include a new merchant who sells a Beholder-death-ray-reflecting shield.
- Mind Flayers. These guys suck your party's intelligence, but that doesn't mean you should send your intelligent characters to fight them. There's very little defense against their psionic mind drain, and if a character's intelligence is drained past 0 they die. Mind Flayers can also charm party members into attacking their allies, so these guys are just all around bad news. If you're going up against them, either find your tank some defense against their psionic attacks (like the brine potion) or keep the mind flayers at a distance using summons while your party attacks with their most powerful ranged weapons. There's also a sword you can find relatively early on in Athkatla that grants immunity against psionic attacks.

And some advice with spoilers:
- When you are in the labyrinth below Spellhold in Chapter 4, be sure to search all the rooms in the first map. The room along the north-eastern wall will have a Bag of Holding in one of its containers.
- When you're leaving Spellhold in Chapter 4, make sure you find Saemon before leaving the building and agree to go along with his plan. Otherwise, you'll miss out on an entire area and numerous items that you'll never be able to access again.
- While in the Underdark in Chapter 5, you have the option of obtaining blood from one of three different sources. You only technically need the one, but you can explore the other two maps and even kill the other two bosses for their blood just to get the experience and the items.
- When you return to Athkatla in Chapter 6, you may find the battle beneath the graveyard to be too difficult, especially at lower levels. If you're having a lot of trouble, consider completing all the wilderness quests that you've been delaying. You can also speak to the paladins and thieves guilds to ask for assistance.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 30, 2010

Cinroth
Dec 11, 2008

Has it never occured
to you that this club
is overpopulated?

Astfgl posted:

Baldur's Gate 2

Yo thanks a lot for this I was about to ask about this game as well, this will help me out obscenely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astfgl
Aug 31, 2001

Take Levitate's advice, too, and figure out the proper spellcasting sequence for winning mage battles. It's the single most frustrating element of the game and will ultimately prevent you from winning most battles until you get it down. For this reason, it usually doesn't hurt to have two arcane spellcasters (bard, mage or sorcerer) in your party, just so that you can cut down on casting time (have the first mage cast the first spell, then immediately have the second mage cast the next, and then the first mage should be ready to cast the third spell).

You could also consider putting the proper spells into a spell trigger or contingency, although you need to be sure they're also in the proper order, otherwise it won't work.

Edit: I guess I could just save you the trouble of googling this.

So basically enemy mages will cast three types of spells as soon as they see you:

1. Spell Protections: Spells like Globe of Invulnerability, Spell Turning, Spell Reflection, Spell Deflection, etc. These spells protect against OTHER spells. For instance, Spell Turning prevents the caster from being affected by a set number of spells (divine OR arcane) before dissipating.
2. Combat Protections: Spells like Stoneskin, Fireshield, Mantle, Protection from Magical Weapons, Protection from Normal Missiles, Protection from the Elements, etc. These spells protect against certain types of physical (or magical) damage. For instance, Mantle will render the caster immune to +3 weapons and lower.
3. Illusions: Spells like invisibility, mirror image, blur, simulacrum, etc. These spells deflect damage (mirror image and blur) and conceal the enemy mage (invisibility and shadow door). Some illusions (like project image and simulacrum) create doubles of the mage which can attack and cast the same spells as the caster.

Combat protections prevent your party from physically damaging the enemy mage until they run out or are dispelled. Spell protections prevent your mages from dispelling his combat protections. Illusions prevent your party from seeing the enemy mage which means your mages can't target him to dispel his spell protections.

You need to do the following, in this order:

1. Dispel the illusions: Thieves have a skill called Detect Illusion. Divine and Arcane spellcasters have a 3rd-level spell, Dispel Magic, which will take down most illusions. They also have the spell True Sight which will see through most illusions. Arcane spellcasters have the 3rd-level spell Remove Magic, which will only affect enemy spells and which is sufficient to bring down most illusions. Illusions can also be taken down by hammering away at them (unlike combat and spell protections, most illusions are susceptible to physical damage). Remember, you can't target enemy mages while they're invisible, so you need a passive way of seeing through their illusions (like True Sight) instead of a projectile one (like Dispel Magic).
2. Next remove the spell protections: Spells like Spell Thrust, Ruby Ray of Reversal, Khelben’s Warding Whip, Pierce Magic, etc. Low-level versions will only remove one, maybe two spell protections. Higher level versions (like Warding Whip and Spellstrike) will remove some or all spell protections. Some high-level enemies like Liches will be immune to lower-level spell-protections. If that's all you have, you will have to wait for his spell protections to dissipate. If the enemy casts Spell Immunity: Abjuration, Ruby Ray of Reversal is the only non-abjuration debuffer.
3. Remove the combat protections last: Breach. That’s it. It’s a fifth-level spell and it’s the only one you need. Memorize it often (at least 3-4 times). Again, if you're facing a high-level enemy who is immune to level 5 spells and lower, Breach will be ineffectual and you'll have to wait for the spell to wear off.

Some mages won't cast spell protections, only combat protections, so learn what the spells look like, pay attention to the battle text, and don't waste your spells. And don't get frustrated if it doesn't work. Enemy mages also keep protection spells in triggers and contingencies so they can throw them up as soon as you dispel them. Contingencies and triggers are limited, though, and enemy mages will eventually run out of memorized spells.

Astfgl fucked around with this message at 18:41 on May 30, 2010