Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

http://regex.info/exif.cgi?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fjyiphoto.com%2Fblog%2F2012%2Fnovember%2Fmarisapark%2Fmarisapark-3.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Oprah Haza posted:

Not bad, I would watch out for the slouch and maybe vary the posing a bit next time.

Went on a short walk with these two. My first reaction to myself was to have more variation of expressions. Thirty minutes from first frame to last shot. I'm posting three to not bombard you guys, there is a link with a few more if you are interested. I left EXIF intact as well if you were curious.

Link to more pictures

I've noticed that with first-time models or people uncomfortable in front of cameras, they tend to default to that one forced smile, because they think that's what a natural smile looks like. It helps to get them talking and comfortable and make them laugh naturally, then start ripping frames.

quote:

battery chat

I have the first generation PCB Vagabond battery, and it's fairly robust. It's essentially an inverter connected to a motorcycle battery. I can run 2 b1600's off a power strip connected to the battery, and I think I got it down to 50% after shooting for 2-3 hours at 1/2 power. It's only about $100, and has to be charged constantly, but it's a solid piece of equipment.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

red19fire posted:

I've noticed that with first-time models or people uncomfortable in front of cameras, they tend to default to that one forced smile, because they think that's what a natural smile looks like. It helps to get them talking and comfortable and make them laugh naturally, then start ripping frames.

Having recently been photographed (in my wedding) I can agree with this. Our photographer just kept saying more and more outlandish things to keep us laughing and smiling naturally.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Look at this person, filling in metadata and making us all look lazy !! :o:

That's a cool bookmarklet, thankyou :)

Pics of some custom giant victorian frills I'd been promising to shoot for ages;

Vintage Frills 9 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

I really wasn't digging the shots as I was taking them here, it's difficult to fully envisage the final shot all processed when you've been asked for a particular style; Once I'd got them into LR for basic levels and then PS for the sepia / contrast tweaks I was a lot happier.

Two shoot through brollies at 45 L and R for the couch shots in the set, Apollo softbox key / brolly fill for the chair and fireplace shots, with a 3rd speedlight for hair/rim on a couple.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

You did a pretty good job here and I like how involved your models looks, as well as the tones you got. Watch out for the weird effect you got with distorting the size of her arm, though. Unless she really does have a giant elephant arm, in which case I apologize to her. :(

Just printed this yesterday, click through for the :nws: shots from the set.

Dressed in White by McMadCow, on Flickr

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

McMadCow posted:

You did a pretty good job here and I like how involved your models looks, as well as the tones you got. Watch out for the weird effect you got with distorting the size of her arm, though. Unless she really does have a giant elephant arm, in which case I apologize to her. :(

Heh; shot in her front room which is not a big space, so it was the wide end of my 18-50 to get what I wanted in the frame... I noticed there was some 'lens looming' going on when I was processing them, but I think this was my favourite because of the skintones - Silver Efex is amazing once you understand how all the options/controls fit togther.

All good learning experience and she seemed pleased with the results.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
First maternity shoot:

IMG_9763_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_9726_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

IMG_9706_web by Breanne Unger, on Flickr

and first shoot with the 5dc, which I love.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Look at this person, filling in metadata and making us all look lazy !! :o:

That's a cool bookmarklet, thankyou :)

Pics of some custom giant victorian frills I'd been promising to shoot for ages;

Vintage Frills 9 by NoneMoreNegative, on Flickr

I really wasn't digging the shots as I was taking them here, it's difficult to fully envisage the final shot all processed when you've been asked for a particular style; Once I'd got them into LR for basic levels and then PS for the sepia / contrast tweaks I was a lot happier.

Two shoot through brollies at 45 L and R for the couch shots in the set, Apollo softbox key / brolly fill for the chair and fireplace shots, with a 3rd speedlight for hair/rim on a couple.

I think #2 and #5 (on flickr) work best overall and as product shots, it shows the entire corset and the details nicely. Since your model has such pasty white skin (like me), she looks best when there's hair in front of her shoulders, breaking up that long expanse of alabaster skin tone. Or perhaps feather the hell out of the lights to create some contrast.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

CarrotFlowers posted:

First maternity shoot:

They must love those! A lot of money in that market if you enjoy doing that type of shoot :)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
The photo of the feet and the baby shoes is really nice, I like that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Ya did good, carrot

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
Thanks, guys. I actually really enjoyed it, even though I was a bit nervous at first. My goal to avoid doing any of the really awkward, uncomfortable shots was met, I think. Though they did get one slightly odd one with a golf ball on her belly cause he's such an avid golfer, haha. Their request so we did it :)

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010

evil_bunnY posted:

Ya did good, carrot

this might look like an emptyquote, but it isn't.

As cheesy as it is, I like the chalkboard calendar, that's cute.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

Elite Taco posted:

this might look like an emptyquote, but it isn't.

As cheesy as it is, I like the chalkboard calendar, that's cute.

Thanks, I thought it was cute too. I had to make that stupid thing the night before during a blizzard because no one sells decent chalkboards anymore! I didn't want to use too many props because I was worried it'd get really fake and cheesy, but it did make it a bit easier to get different kinds of shots. I didn't mind using a few, but still tried to keep it simple.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

Happy Happy Breakdance Challenge 4
The thing is, maternity shoots are a cheesy thing by nature, so you have to just roll with it a bit. Those are just lovely, and I love the chalk calendar idea, it's perfect and exactly what that audience wants. If you chuck those up I imagine you'll get a shitton of requests.

EDIT: "Chuck those up" as in advertise with some of those images.

Krelas
May 14, 2007

Be there none left on Earth but you,
one thing will still remain true...

Quick question: Apart from the Zeltsman guide and the Sue Bryce videos, are there any other good guides on basic posing and lighting techniques for portraits?

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

ERRYDAY I BE SPLIT-TONING! Honestly, its the only skill I got other than shooting the back of women and calling it "Editorial".

Krelas posted:

Quick question: Apart from the Zeltsman guide and the Sue Bryce videos, are there any other good guides on basic posing and lighting techniques for portraits?

This will probably sound stupid but the best way for me was to look at tons of portraits (that suited my style) and study what worked for them. It's really just about developing your eyes and being quick on your feet with what works and what doesn't. I personnally use piccsy/pinterest/wedding magazines/fashion magazines (Harper's Bazaar for example)

Also, during shoots I'll have 2-3 key poses in mind but I always look at how my client interacts with the environment when I pose them. For example, sometime I'll start guiding them to a certain pose but while I do that, I'll keep an eye on how they naturally sit/look and most of the time I will like the way they sit and will memorize how they looked and guide them to the same pose they were just in. That way, I think, for them the picture looks more natural/more like them and will be more unique than the standard poses.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Krelas posted:

Unless you're marketing to ironic hipsters, the Zeltsman style hasn't really been "good" since around 1979.

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

CarrotFlowers posted:

First maternity shoot:

I normally HATE seeing the bottoms of feet in photos... but you make it work in that second photo. Well done, sir! It seems they had an awesome apartment for natural light (or if that's your studio....?) Either way, good work!

Boobs.

On a serious note, it's a solid photo but her arm just seems really big to me. Also, why did you decide to go black and white?

A recent promotional portrait for a local furniture maker

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.

sw1gger posted:

I normally HATE seeing the bottoms of feet in photos... but you make it work in that second photo. Well done, sir! It seems they had an awesome apartment for natural light (or if that's your studio....?) Either way, good work!

Boobs.

On a serious note, it's a solid photo but her arm just seems really big to me. Also, why did you decide to go black and white?

A recent promotional portrait for a local furniture maker

Thanks, man. I was actually really nervous when I first showed up because this dining area was the only place near a big window and it was like 6' by 7' space max, but we made it work :S the snow outside helped reflect light back into the house.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Just saw your line about the 5Dc. That camera is goddamn magic. If only I could cram the 5D3s focus mechanism in there. I seriously consider just shooting everything that's outside with the 5Dc.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Not a portrait shot at all, but it does involve a person! I tried my first editorial shoot this weekend and figured I'd post a shot from it.

2 by xxyzx road, on Flickr

There's something very freeing about not giving a poo poo if the sun is casting a harsh shadow on her face or if the horizon line is completely straight. It's a nice change of pace from shooting portraits where there's so many minor details you have to pay attention to.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I like it a lot, but I don't think anything is gained from the crooked horizon.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I don't mind the horizon but it feels a little too "fake washed out" and I can't stop staring at the shadow on her hip that makes her skin look like she's got cellulite :( Also I feel like there should be a car in the background stirring up a giant dust cloud for some reason.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
The unfortunate shadow makes it look like she has a beard!

(I'm soooooo sorry)

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Well, it looks about a hundred times better than any of the portraits you've posted, so maybe stop being so restrictive in what you think a portrait has to be.
e:(This is in response to angrydrunk)

365 Nog Hogger fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 19, 2012

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

A portrait is merely imagery of a personality. I don't think offering opinions on a photo of a person restricts what defines a portrait at all...

Having said that, I think TheAngryDrunk did show a lot of story in a photograph, which is important. It's not as if the photo is without merit, regardless of our own personal skills. But it's obviously in a certain style (pretty girl, passive position, noted as editorial-style) so we can critique within that context. If our assumptions are incorrect, he would let us know, and it becomes a dialogue. Tada! Progress.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

nonanone posted:

Also I feel like there should be a car in the background stirring up a giant dust cloud for some reason.

Heh, that would be sweet. Although the car would be very small. It's hard to tell but she's actually on a platform maybe 100 feet above the desert floor.

Dick Danger
Oct 13, 2010

Gee Gee Baby Baby

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Not a portrait shot at all, but it does involve a person! I tried my first editorial shoot this weekend and figured I'd post a shot from it.

There's something very freeing about not giving a poo poo if the sun is casting a harsh shadow on her face or if the horizon line is completely straight. It's a nice change of pace from shooting portraits where there's so many minor details you have to pay attention to.

Could you share anything on your processing in this one? I think it's pretty neat.

I took some very impromptu shots for a contact lens review on the weekend. It's been months since I shot much at all, let alone worked on any portraiture, but I think they came out reasonably well given how quickly these were organised and shot. The idea was to just crop her eyes into a little box and not use the full photo, but the she really loved the shots and used them as is.

Bedroom Girl by DONT SLEEP, on Flickr

Daytime Girl by DONT SLEEP, on Flickr

My speedlite died recently so these were lit with a combination of desk lamps and popup flash. I built a little origami box kind of thing to put over the popup so it didn't look so harsh.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Dick Danger posted:

Could you share anything on your processing in this one? I think it's pretty neat.

Heh. I was worried someone was going to ask about that. ;)

It's mostly from this preset collection: http://www.color-shop.co/products-page/adobe-camera-raw-acr/fashion-editorial-collection-lightroom-acr-raw/

The presets kind of get you in the ballpark and then you tweak it from there. I don't recall what I changed on this image, but most of the heavy lifting was done by one of the 20 presets in the pack.

Edit: When I get home, I can give you the LR settings that I ended up with.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Nov 20, 2012

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

TheAngryDrunk posted:

This is really weird and I really like it for that reason. I'm going to be a bit of a dick and presume that you didn't do this on purpose (but feel free to shoot me down if you absolutely did) but she seems like a giant in the landscape from the perspective you shot it from. What lens did you use for this?

She looks HUGE or like she doesn't belong in the landscape. It's bizarre but I actually love it for that reason.

Did you do any other editing aside from tone and colour editing? Did you do any perspective correction or rotating or reshaping of the image?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

Gazmachine posted:

This is really weird and I really like it for that reason. I'm going to be a bit of a dick and presume that you didn't do this on purpose (but feel free to shoot me down if you absolutely did) but she seems like a giant in the landscape from the perspective you shot it from. What lens did you use for this?

She looks HUGE or like she doesn't belong in the landscape. It's bizarre but I actually love it for that reason.

You dick! Just kidding. No, I was not trying to make her look like a giant (she kind of does now that I think about it). But it was deliberately shot with a wide angle (24mm) and I was down on the ground when I shot.

Gazmachine posted:

Did you do any other editing aside from tone and colour editing? Did you do any perspective correction or rotating or reshaping of the image?

Nope.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

I realised it's to do with how much of the frame she fills up.

Her knee is almost with the horizon, but not over it, whilst her fingers almost reach the very forefront of the landscape. I really need to do something like this now.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
I got some new gear and a few friends willing to pose while I dicked around.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

This one is really nice. There's just enough motion and story in her eyes to carry this one well beyond the others you posted.

phootnote
Mar 6, 2006
sleighted!
I was watching a video about portrait shooting, and I noticed that the photographer would aim at the face and then lower the camera to shoot. What is that for?

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

phootnote posted:

I was watching a video about portrait shooting, and I noticed that the photographer would aim at the face and then lower the camera to shoot. What is that for?

Focus and recompose. Which may or may not work in any given situation.

xenilk
Apr 17, 2004

phootnote posted:

You put the focus point of the camera on the eye of the subject (you always want the eyes to be sharp) and then recompose. It will work most of the time. It won't work if you move the camera a lot to recompose and your aperture is wide tho.

Gazmachine
May 22, 2005

xenilk posted:

You put the focus point of the camera on the eye of the subject (you always want the eyes to be sharp) and then recompose. It will work most of the time. It won't work if you move the camera a lot to recompose and your aperture is wide tho.

It's also worth noting that it's more likely to misfocus if you tilt the camera to point down, as opposed to shifting it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetrad
Nov 3, 2002
A simple beauty shot.