Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

NTRabbit posted:

I have the open fire box in my queue how do you even paint details on mans that small let alone that well the gently caress :psyduck:

Well, you use a very small brush :v:

Seriously though, you just get used to it. Where you'd usually paint an entire surface, you just put a single line or dot instead. The good thing about 15mm is that mistakes aren't that visible at arm's length anyway. Also, it's pretty fast to paint mans that small. Unfortunately, the result can be pretty dull because of all the different shades of brown/green you're using. The results rarely 'pop'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

TheBlobThing posted:

Well, you use a very small brush :v:

Seriously though, you just get used to it. Where you'd usually paint an entire surface, you just put a single line or dot instead. The good thing about 15mm is that mistakes aren't that visible at arm's length anyway. Also, it's pretty fast to paint mans that small. Unfortunately, the result can be pretty dull because of all the different shades of brown/green you're using. The results rarely 'pop'.

That's because you paint silly WW2 stuff and not God's Own Period, Napoleonics. :smug:

Or pretty much anything medieval or ancient.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Feb 4, 2014

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

lilljonas posted:

That's because you paint silly WW2 stuff and not God's Own Period, Napoleonics. :smug:

Or pretty much anything medieval or ancient.

Well, some of us have an interest in periods where warfare was more advanced than guys dressing in bright clothes, going 'ooga-booga' and beating each other with sticks! :colbert:

(Napoleonics are also awesome)

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

TheBlobThing posted:

Well, some of us have an interest in periods where warfare was more advanced than guys dressing in bright clothes, going 'ooga-booga' and beating each other with sticks! :colbert:

(Napoleonics are also awesome)

I know, I have a few WW2 Germans as well. The satisfaction from picking out two or three colours, wash, highlight, and have a finished unit in an evening is almost worth playing a period that I pretty much have no interest in.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Feb 4, 2014

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

lilljonas posted:

I know, I have a few WW2 Germans as well. The satisfaction from picking out two or three colours, wash, highlight, and have a finished unit in an evening is almost worth playing a period that I pretty much have no interest in.

I wish that was the case with my Fallschirmjaeger, each little man is a pain thanks to the splinter camouflage. It looks really cool, don't get me wrong and I love splinter, but it is a love/hate relationship.

Up next, Volksgrenadiers :negative:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Leo Showers posted:

I wish that was the case with my Fallschirmjaeger, each little man is a pain thanks to the splinter camouflage. It looks really cool, don't get me wrong and I love splinter, but it is a love/hate relationship.

Up next, Volksgrenadiers :negative:

I did Panzergrenadiers in splinter camo. It's pretty manageable when it's only 1 in 5 guys that uses it, and it provides an awesome break from painting Feldgrau all the time, so I loved it.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheBlobThing posted:

Just realised I might not use the Cromwells in my list anyway. I'm doing a Canadian Infantry Company, and putting in 2 platoons of Cromwells instead of Sherman tanks doesn't make sense. I'm essentially paying 75 points extra for mobility (and protected ammo).

Any FoW experts out there that know if Fast Tanks are worth it for a hybrid company? It's pretty expensive for Cromwells, but maybe Fast Tank is cool to exploit any breaks in the line my artillery and AT-guns make.

List is looking like this:

Canadian 3rd Inf. Div.
-Command HQ
-2 Rifle platoons
-4 6 Pdr. AT-guns
-8 QQF 25 pdr.
-Auster AOP
-2 x 3 Cromwells + 1 Firefly.

Instead it could look like this:

-Command HQ
-3 Rifle platoons
-4 6 Pdr. AT-guns
-8 QQF 25 pdr.
-Auster AOP
-2 x 3 Sherman tanks + 1 Firefly.

Wait, can Canadians even take Cromwells? I'm looking through Market Garden right now, and I'm not seeing any options for Canadians to take Cromwells. What book are you using?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Wait, can Canadians even take Cromwells? I'm looking through Market Garden right now, and I'm not seeing any options for Canadians to take Cromwells. What book are you using?

Overlord. They are Desert Rats Cromwells, so they get those lovely Reluctant Veteran stats too.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I have a lot of friends that play Flames of War, and since I already play Warhammer Fantasy and 40k I decided to do what I never do in tabletop wargames: Buy an army with literally no knowledge of its competitiveness purely because I like the sound of it. Naturally this lead me to buy a full Japanese infantry army. I was wondering if anybody out there had had any success with Japan in FoW, and what has worked well for them?

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Zodiac5000 posted:

I have a lot of friends that play Flames of War, and since I already play Warhammer Fantasy and 40k I decided to do what I never do in tabletop wargames: Buy an army with literally no knowledge of its competitiveness purely because I like the sound of it. Naturally this lead me to buy a full Japanese infantry army. I was wondering if anybody out there had had any success with Japan in FoW, and what has worked well for them?

Haven't had the chance to run them/run against them, as most people at my LGS are allergic to anything that isn't LW.

They sound like a really elite infantry army for EW, at least on paper. They have a few tricks and some special rules that no other nation gets. Their anti-tank infantry are definitely something everyone is afraid of. However, the fact that they charge forward when they fail morale checks can be a liability.

Their tanks, to me, seem to be on the weak end of EW tanks. They make good infantry support, but will likely lose more armor fights than win. They have one of the lowest AT ratings (5) and with FA 1. Avoid getting into a tank scrap against the French, they will win. Use your infantry to take out tanks, they'll probably do a better job anyways. If you stick with just fighting other armies out of the Rising Sun book, you'll probably be okay, but I would still avoid attacking armor v armor head on.

Artillery seems good. Good AT and firepower with the 105s and 150s, the Type 41 and Type 38 guns look to be in line with the rest of the world for bombardments, though direct fire is weak, comparatively, because AT8 direct fire is nothing to laugh at in EW. It is in LW, but not EW.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
I play my first game with them over President's day weekend, and I fully expect to be playing against Germans, Americans, and Russians, almost none of which will come from the Rising Sun book. I don't have the slightest clue how many Nikuhaku (the anti-tank teams) I will need, but I have three infantry platoons, and each platoon can have at most three Nikuhaku. I've got six Nikuhaku bases in total, so hopefully six, some tanks, and an anti-tank gun will be enough to fend off any tank assaults.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Zodiac5000 posted:

I play my first game with them over President's day weekend, and I fully expect to be playing against Germans, Americans, and Russians, almost none of which will come from the Rising Sun book. I don't have the slightest clue how many Nikuhaku (the anti-tank teams) I will need, but I have three infantry platoons, and each platoon can have at most three Nikuhaku. I've got six Nikuhaku bases in total, so hopefully six, some tanks, and an anti-tank gun will be enough to fend off any tank assaults.

You shouldn't be playing against Americans. USA is MW/LW only. EW Russians are only featured in Rising Sun, unless you're using unofficial briefings (there exists a quite popular pdf covering the invasion of Poland that includes Russians). Germans should play as a mobile army, but if your opponent plays a lot of LW, he may just dig them in. What he does on his first turn should tell you. Russians will play as a horde army no matter what. Either way, your anti-tank teams should be good against German or Russian armor. Your infantry should fare better than Russians, and I would say are equal to the Germans. Your armor (if you run armor) will have a tougher time against German armor than Russian armor, especially if your opponent brings Pz.IVs or a StuG A.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

TheBlobThing posted:

Overlord. They are Desert Rats Cromwells, so they get those lovely Reluctant Veteran stats too.

Ah, that would explain it. :v: Looking at the unit costs, I do think you're slightly mistaken on seeing your list as paying 75 points extra for Cromwells, though. 3 DR Cromwells and the Firefly are only five points more expensive than 3 Confident Veteran Sherman Vs and the Firefly, and Protected Ammo on the Cromwells helps to mitigate their poor morale. Obviously it's up to you if paying the extra 70-75 points for Veteran status is worth it, but given the relative thin-skinned nature of the Sherman V I'd greatly recommend it to help extend their survivability.

Zodiac5000 posted:

Hopefully you're not playing against Americans, since Americans don't have an early-war army and you'd be going up against Shermans with Early-War AT :v:

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Ah, that would explain it. :v: Looking at the unit costs, I do think you're slightly mistaken on seeing your list as paying 75 points extra for Cromwells, though. 3 DR Cromwells and the Firefly are only five points more expensive than 3 Confident Veteran Sherman Vs and the Firefly, and Protected Ammo on the Cromwells helps to mitigate their poor morale. Obviously it's up to you if paying the extra 70-75 points for Veteran status is worth it, but given the relative thin-skinned nature of the Sherman V I'd greatly recommend it to help extend their survivability.

Hopefully you're not playing against Americans, since Americans don't have an early-war army and you'd be going up against Shermans with Early-War AT :v:

You're right, I should do that actually. I'm playing a Canadian company so i naturally just picked the Canadian tanks. This way I'll still have the recommended even number of platoons, I get better Shermans and I can skip painting an entire platoon!

Dammit man, I could kiss you!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

IIRC Desert Rats get a special rule where if they don't fail any saves they get to re-roll all motivation checks. Basically don't get shot. :v: Also I'm looking to sell the Germans in my Open Fire set, would anyone here be interested?

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Foot in my mouth. Like I said though, First time playing flames of war outside a test game, so I'm already learning something! Out of curiosity, are there any rumors on when Japan will be getting mid or late war armies? A few people have noted similar situations, but like 90% of all the games played by people I know are Late-war. This isn't a problem, really, they're more than willing to play Early war, but I wish to crush them in their own time.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
That probably depends on how well Rising Sun and the units that go with it sell.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Zodiac5000 posted:

Foot in my mouth. Like I said though, First time playing flames of war outside a test game, so I'm already learning something! Out of curiosity, are there any rumors on when Japan will be getting mid or late war armies? A few people have noted similar situations, but like 90% of all the games played by people I know are Late-war. This isn't a problem, really, they're more than willing to play Early war, but I wish to crush them in their own time.

The official word is "eventually". That could be 2nd half of this year, that could be 5 years from now. There are still people waiting on a Barbarossa book. There will be a LW Italian Front compilation hopefully 1st Quarter, and there is suppose to be a Western Front crossing the Rhine this year, too. Though, BF has said before they want to 'finish up' the European Theater before doing the Pacific Theater. I don't know if that means a Berlin book will be first, or if they mean total coverage of the European Campaign.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Given the smorgasborg of random SS units that probably means we'll have stats for all 39 SS divisions and the danish reservists before they touch the pacific.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Prediction: there will never be Japanese minis because the real money is in armor and the Pacific war was light on tanks

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Scratch Monkey posted:

Prediction: there will never be Japanese minis because the real money is in armor and the Pacific war was light on tanks

There are too many people who want to paint anime tits on WWII equipment for it to not make money. Also, segue into Korean War where there were plenty of armor engagements using WWII equipment.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Scratch Monkey posted:

They already have Japanese models, though :confused: It's not like they'll have to change much of the infantry, guns, and tanks they've already released. Really, if anything the greatest challenge towards writing and releasing a Mid-War or Late-War Pacific book is going to be balancing the USMC and the IJA against other Mid/Late-War armies. As you mentioned, the Pacific was fairly light on tank-on tank combat, and the AT capabilities of the USMC and the IJA isn't going to be anywhere near adequate against the heavier Mid and Late War armored lists. Obviously you can mitigate that with special rules and equipment (Spider holes and hidden bunkers for Japan, Battleship-caliber NGFS for the Marines, for example), but balancing that is going to be a delicate task and I can see why they'd want to put that off for a while as they figure it out.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Scratch Monkey posted:

The war may have been light on tank combat, but the tanks themselves existed, and did see extensive use in India, South East Asia and Manchuria: Ha-Go, Ke-Ni, Ke-Nu, I-Go, Chi-Ha, Shinhoto, Chi-He, Chi-Nu, Ka-Mi, Ka-Chi were all produced to varying degrees, and are no less valid as EW vehicles than the British EW tanks I've seen while browsing.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I can see it now, everyone will want to play as US Marines, so they can defend against Mech and Armour companies and have unkillable laser-like fist of God-style NGFS.

Now that will be amazing.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

This is definitely not the proper shield emblem for Hoplites in the summer of 690BC.

My company is doing a big re-org called Project Phalanx; my boss said it was a fitting name because of the Roman formation, and I had to correct him and tell him it was Greek. As such, I made him a memento so he'll always remember that, even after he fires me for being a smart rear end.

The shield emblem is our logo.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 5, 2014

hump day bitches!
Apr 3, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

This is definitely not the proper shield emblem for Hoplites in the summer of 690BC.

My company is doing a big re-org called Project Phalanx; my boss said it was a fitting name because of the Roman formation, and I had to correct him and tell him it was Greek. As such, I made him a memento so he'll always remember that, even after he fires me for being a smart rear end.

The shield emblem is our logo.

What company is that miniature from ?.I want to start collecting historical miniatures and hoplites are catching my eye.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Warlord Games, it's one of the command ones.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you want to do Greeks 6MM is really where it's at. A hundred dudes for like ten dollars is pretty great.

Mr.Booger
Nov 13, 2004
Xyston has beautiful 15mm greeks as well, though the macedonians are a bit huge for the scale.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
This has probably been brought up before, but how well do Forged in Battle models look? Compared to FoW/Command Decision/PSC?

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

YF19pilot posted:

This has probably been brought up before, but how well do Forged in Battle models look? Compared to FoW/Command Decision/PSC?

They look fine. Some guys at my old club had a lot of their tanks, and the detail is decent. Personally, I hate those bases on them, but that's a matter of opinion. Problem is that they don't match the size of neither PSC or BF's own tanks, so some camouflage netting or some such would be a good idea, to mask the difference.

I have two PaK40's with crew, but the crew wasn't very interesting, with samey poses and blocky details (nothing you'll notice at arm's length though). I ended up using spare gun crew from BF's kits.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

I was reading up on Victrix having a 30% sale on their plastics, and you WW2 guys might be interested in them planning 1:100 plastic WW2 planes. Starting with ground support planes like Stukas and Sturmoviks:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=1797151591

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh sure, NOW the Hoplites are on sale!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

That's actually pretty great, Battlefront and model companies make 1/144 planes for 15mm, but I hate seeing that halfling sized cockpit.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

That's actually pretty great, Battlefront and model companies make 1/144 planes for 15mm, but I hate seeing that halfling sized cockpit.
Does forced perspective really bother you that much?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It does when they gently caress it up. Those planes should be scaled larger than the ground troops because they're closer to the observing players.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

moths posted:

It does when they gently caress it up. Those planes should be scaled larger than the ground troops because they're closer to the observing players.

Use 1:35 models. Forget about the actual game as you swoop your awesome planes back and forth, shouting "PEW PEW PEW" at your opponent's planes.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'll settle for 1/100 and pretend they're flying really really low.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You check LoS from the mans on the ground right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You check LoS from the mans on the ground right?

I believe so.