Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dache
Dec 26, 2003

this happy little fella is steve

I don't know if I should post this in or create another thread for this or not, but...

What's the best way to do fried chicken without a dedicated fryer?

I have a few non-stick pots and pans that I suspect are no good, a cast iron pan with griddle marks that probably isn't deep enough, some trash woks, and - what I suspect might be my best bet if it's possible at all - a large stainless steel stockpot.

Unfortunately, all I have is an induction hob/stove with digital controls. I hate it but I'm stuck with it. I suspect this also damages my chances of frying beautiful chicken in my own home one day.

Any suggestions, please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
What's a good substitution for ricotta/cottage cheese? I have neither, yet want to make a baked pasta dish.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Dache posted:

I don't know if I should post this in or create another thread for this or not, but...

What's the best way to do fried chicken without a dedicated fryer?

I have a few non-stick pots and pans that I suspect are no good, a cast iron pan with griddle marks that probably isn't deep enough, some trash woks, and - what I suspect might be my best bet if it's possible at all - a large stainless steel stockpot.

Unfortunately, all I have is an induction hob/stove with digital controls. I hate it but I'm stuck with it. I suspect this also damages my chances of frying beautiful chicken in my own home one day.

Any suggestions, please?

The cast iron, depending on the depth, might be your best bet. Really all you need is enough oil to come up halfway on the chicken, and then you flip. In fact this is "preferred" for many reasons, I believe.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Two questions:

1) What's the best way to make gravy from the drippings of a 4 lb pork tenderloin roast? A few weeks ago I made a beef sirloin tip roast on a rack with a can of beef broth, a few bay leaves and a cut up onion beneath it. The drippings fell into the broth and the resulting liquid plus some corn starch made a good gravy. If there's something like this I can do with the pork roast that would be great, as I'll be roasting it in the same pan and in the same way.

2) When making a gravy what is the best way to get some grease out? Do you have to toss your drippings into the fridge and wait till you can pick out white solids or is there something you can do on the fly?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Dache posted:

Any suggestions, please?

Probably the cast iron pot. You don't need a dedicated fryer unless you're running a restaurant or frying stuff so often that it's not a giant waste of money. Back home we used a fairly deep pan, put in enough oil to come about halfway up the chicken and flipped it midway through. Works fine.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Two questions:

1) What's the best way to make gravy from the drippings of a 4 lb pork tenderloin roast? A few weeks ago I made a beef sirloin tip roast on a rack with a can of beef broth, a few bay leaves and a cut up onion beneath it. The drippings fell into the broth and the resulting liquid plus some corn starch made a good gravy. If there's something like this I can do with the pork roast that would be great, as I'll be roasting it in the same pan and in the same way.

2) When making a gravy what is the best way to get some grease out? Do you have to toss your drippings into the fridge and wait till you can pick out white solids or is there something you can do on the fly?

ice cubes -- youre going to reduce it to your preferred consistency, anyway, so..

ReaperUnreal
Feb 21, 2007
Trogdor is King
Food safety question. I was making pulled pork in my slow cooker last night. Everything went in, and I turned it on low to go for overnight. 4h later, I'm up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, and I notice that it doesn't smell like pulled pork in the apartment. Sure enough, I turned it on, but it wasn't plugged in.

Question is, is it still safe to eat? I turned it on anyway when I discovered it wasn't plugged in just in case, but now I'm wondering if it really will be safe to eat. I'm thinking that if I let it get to a high enough internal temp it should be fine. Thoughts?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It should be fine, I wouldn't worry about it. Just check that it gets up to temp instead of assuming, but I really doubt there'll be a problem.

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
I have $1.25 for food for the next ~4 days. How do I best stretch this? I'm thinking rice.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

A pound of dry beans is about a buck. Do you have anything else in the cupboard?

Where do you live? If your close, ill pack you some supplies for the next few days.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ron Jeremy posted:

Going back to browning in a pan: if I fill a pan to brown say, chicken breasts, should I add more oil to the pan when I flip them? The second side seems to stick more than the first. Or is it about the temp? I try to have just smoking oil.

Also, is there a strategy for keeping the fond from burning if I have to do two batches in the same pan?

A few things:

One - Make sure that you are not overcrowding your pan. Too much meat at once will cause the pan to lose heat quickly, then you have to keep them in the pan longer, which can lead to overcooking/burning.

Two - If your fond is burning, you might have things a little on the hot side, try dialing the heat down to medium high.

Three - On the sticking; How big a pan are you using and how much oil? Chicken breast are kind of favored for their lack of fat, so it's possible you may have to add just a little oil in between browning sides. And, also make sure that you are not moving the meat around while browning.

HTH

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Ron Jeremy posted:

A pound of dry beans is about a buck. Do you have anything else in the cupboard?

Where do you live? If your close, ill pack you some supplies for the next few days.
That's awful nice of you, but I don't think it's anything that dire! :) I'm just trying to see what sort of things I can come up with. I have the staples (a 5lb bag of bread flour, 1 stick of butter, ~2C left of corn flour), some cheese, baking soda/powder, hot sauce, yeast, pizza sauce (?), olive oil, that sorta thing. The BIGGEST bitch on the SS Dumb Bitches Only is that my oven smokes up my tiny apartment even when there's nothing in it, so stove-top is my best option. I've been subsisting on home-made cheese quesadillas and coffee for the last 4 days but I think I need to eat something else for a while :\

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Going to be in the Tacoma area (around the convention centre) for Magic tournament this weekend. Is there any places nearby for good food/coffee that I can hit up while at the event? Or am I going to have eat bleah food and travel to Seattle for the good stuff?

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

scuz posted:

That's awful nice of you, but I don't think it's anything that dire! :) I'm just trying to see what sort of things I can come up with. I have the staples (a 5lb bag of bread flour, 1 stick of butter, ~2C left of corn flour), some cheese, baking soda/powder, hot sauce, yeast, pizza sauce (?), olive oil, that sorta thing. The BIGGEST bitch on the SS Dumb Bitches Only is that my oven smokes up my tiny apartment even when there's nothing in it, so stove-top is my best option. I've been subsisting on home-made cheese quesadillas and coffee for the last 4 days but I think I need to eat something else for a while :\

You can cook thin cornbread in a covered pan, basically any flour+baking powder+yeast+butter would give you a range of doughs from tortilla to flatbread - experiment with different combinations. Top with cheese or pizza sauce + hot sauce, or dip in olive oil.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
How about making English muffins? They are baked on a pan instead of in an oven. Some recipes have them finished in the oven but they can be done just on a pan. Use your money to buy some eggs and there are lots of ways you can eat an English muffin and eggs and you can use your pizza sauce/cheese to make English muffin pizzas.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

scuz posted:

Looks like you've got the fixings for pizza / bread.. how about crumpets? Yeast dough + stove top. You could conceivably use them as a base for mini pizzas with the rest of the stuff you have.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

scuz posted:

(a 5lb bag of bread flour,

Fix your oven and then make yourself some hardtack!

I made some for a ICSA and it's still in perfectly edible condition 2+ years later. It's nutritious and by the time you manage to gnaw your way through one of those hunks you won't want to bother eating anything else. You could also learn to eat like a tenement family in the early 1900's. That's super cheap.

Flip through that brochure, the polenta recipe may work for you.

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Weird question here. I grew up in northern New York, and we have these clams here. Descriptively, they're brown and kind of longish (sorry for the awful description).

They seem to live in the rivers and lakes around here, and I can remember people eating them at the beach. I'm just wondering what they are scientifically and if anyone here has eaten them.

Google has failed me.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If it were only left out an hour, yes. You don't want it to spend more than 4 hours total in the danger zone. Given the short period of time and relatively cool room, I would be ok with it.

I actually thought that the consensus would be 'no' and I was going to eat it myself but not feed it to MAH GIRLFRIEND and kids. I ended up searing it in hot oil then slow-cooking it overnight with a bunch of barbecue flavors and wine. Not the first choice; I was originally going to chop it up and stir fry it, but these sandwiches are delicious. Thanks.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Barnum posted:

Weird question here. I grew up in northern New York, and we have these clams here. Descriptively, they're brown and kind of longish (sorry for the awful description).

They seem to live in the rivers and lakes around here, and I can remember people eating them at the beach. I'm just wondering what they are scientifically and if anyone here has eaten them.

Google has failed me.

Jackknife clams maybe? Or do you mean some kind of clam that is a more regular clam shape but elongated?

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Barnum posted:

Google has failed me.

These ones?

They're edible, but I'd check with someone local before harvesting them- you might be downstream of something nasty.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Yeah I was going to say razor clam. I think they're the same thing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think jackknife clams are sometimes called atlantic razor clams. Razor clams aren't quite as thin and long, and I think they are a pacific clam.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

scuz posted:

I'd do beans.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Fish are the vegetables of the sea.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Going to be in the Tacoma area (around the convention centre) for Magic tournament this weekend. Is there any places nearby for good food/coffee that I can hit up while at the event? Or am I going to have eat bleah food and travel to Seattle for the good stuff?

Aw man, I just typed up a page long rant about Great Cuisine of India in nearby Lakewood, but that's not within walking distance of the Convention Center. :/ Sorry. I'll ask MY (lifelong Tacomaite) BOYFRIEND once he gets home from work today.

Do you have access to a car, or are you using public transit?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Taft Punk posted:

Aw man, I just typed up a page long rant about Great Cuisine of India in nearby Lakewood, but that's not within walking distance of the Convention Center. :/ Sorry. I'll ask MY (lifelong Tacomaite) BOYFRIEND once he gets home from work today.

Do you have access to a car, or are you using public transit?

Will be driving down but TBH probably using Public transit to get around

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Latkes, and related shredded potato dishes, are my nemesis. I tried this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ukrainian-filled-halushky-dumplings/detail.aspx

and the dumplings broke apart in the water and look like a kettle full of afterbirth. They started smelling really good about five minutes into boiling, but they're still a thick, paste-like consistency that breaks apart under my fingers.

What am I doing wrong? I dropped them in gently, and they had cohesion up until the last couple minutes of boiling. I pressed the cottage cheese and the shredded potato to get all the moisture I could out of them with cheesecloth and paper towels.

I didn't let the dough rest to build gluten bonds, but it didn't say to -- is this one of those parts where it's omitted because any established cook would know to try this?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger
I tried making baked chile rellenos using queso fresco, but the melted cheese came out hard and grainy. Is there a difference between different brands of queso fresco or should I have used something like mozzarella?

Also, I could have sworn there was a Mexican food thread but now I can't find it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Queso fresco doesn't melt. Use queso blanco or queso quesadilla.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Queso fresco doesn't melt. Use queso blanco or queso quesadilla.

Excellent, I'll try that on my next batch. I knew something was wrong when I didn't get anywhere close to the amazing soft and gooey cheese that I've had at restaurants.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Taft Punk posted:

Latkes, and related shredded potato dishes, are my nemesis. I tried this recipe http://allrecipes.com/recipe/ukrainian-filled-halushky-dumplings/detail.aspx

and the dumplings broke apart in the water and look like a kettle full of afterbirth. They started smelling really good about five minutes into boiling, but they're still a thick, paste-like consistency that breaks apart under my fingers.

What am I doing wrong? I dropped them in gently, and they had cohesion up until the last couple minutes of boiling. I pressed the cottage cheese and the shredded potato to get all the moisture I could out of them with cheesecloth and paper towels.

I didn't let the dough rest to build gluten bonds, but it didn't say to -- is this one of those parts where it's omitted because any established cook would know to try this?

Are you married to poaching them? I pan-fry my potato cakes and I'm really pleased with them.

I did a blog entry about them a little while ago actually. I don't like to pimp my blog on the forum, but if you want I can post the link.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

RazorBunny posted:

Are you married to poaching them? I pan-fry my potato cakes and I'm really pleased with them.

I did a blog entry about them a little while ago actually. I don't like to pimp my blog on the forum, but if you want I can post the link.

Pan-fry.. yesss.. I will try this with my second batch. :) Thanks!

Sure, I'd love the link -- the only thing I know about pan-frying potato stuff is to use a lot of oil.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Taft Punk posted:

Pan-fry.. yesss.. I will try this with my second batch. :) Thanks!

Sure, I'd love the link -- the only thing I know about pan-frying potato stuff is to use a lot of oil.

Actually I fry in a pretty shallow pool of oil. Here's my recipe. The batter is kind of like a drop biscuit dough, and you do have to spread it a little with the spoon to get two flat sides on the cake.

Taft Punk
Jan 11, 2011

Sweet deal - I'll try your recipe next time it's carb o'clock.

FYI your frying suggestion turned them from a total failure to a total success. I baked the next batch, then finished them off in a frying pan with bacon fat. They vanished in less than five minutes. :3

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
How the heck to I make a salad for dinner? As in the main course? As in... my girlfriend wants a salad for dinner, because the rest of the meals I make are just too rich. I have onions and a mango and bell peppers and avocado if that helps..

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Cut all that stuff up into slices/bite-size chunks, create a dressing with red/balsamic vinegar and olive oil at a ratio of 1:2.5 and bam, done. Fry up a piece of chicken if she wants more protein or add some beans/nuts. Walnuts are lovely. Don't forget the salt and pepper.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

I like sliced hard boiled eggs in mine, and dried cranberries. Some good homemade croutons are always a nice addition.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Mach420 posted:

Also, I could have sworn there was a Mexican food thread but now I can't find it.

The Mexican food thread died during the whirled peas massacre.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Kenning posted:

The Mexican food thread died during the whirled peas massacre.

No, acutally, it survived that, but FGM closed it because of people's overwhelming obsession with crock pot carnitas or crock pot chile verde, or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I would like to try proper carnitas but using that much lard at home is a bit ridiculous