Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My test for Roku OS 8 is of they updated the decrepit interface and it looks like they didn't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

My test for Roku 8 will be if the sound works for more than 2 minutes from unit power on. The firmware release last week completely screwed my ultra to the point it may as well be a door stop.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
drat and we just bought a Roku Stick, came today as a matter of fact. I wonder if they sell the remotes separately, I just want one that will act as a universal remote for two of our TVs and control the Roku.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

calandryll posted:

drat and we just bought a Roku Stick, came today as a matter of fact. I wonder if they sell the remotes separately, I just want one that will act as a universal remote for two of our TVs and control the Roku.

You could probably do a return?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am pumped about a single TVE log in. That is something I have wanted for a while.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

So how does the subscriber login work for the Apple TV now? I found it in settings, selected my cable provider, but it never let me actually login. Does it just select your provider for you, but then you still have to login with each individual app with your login info? Seems strange to just eliminate the one step where I say, "Choose Spectrum".

Also, I think I'm still getting screwed somehow, but I think I may just be lost in a weird process. I want to use the Starz app using my cable login, so I download the Starz app, go to login, it preselects Spectrum, and it gives me a code to use to activate on the Starz website. I go there and use the code, then I have to login again, then I'm told, "This app is currently unavailable on tvOS for Spectrum customers in the former Charter Communications service area, but we're working to make it available soon. We're sorry for any inconvenience." That...sucks, if true. I mean, I can view it on my laptop, so I guess I can just Airplay it, but the whole point of having apps for this stuff now is so that isn't necessary.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Your cable provider has to enable support for the Apple Single Sign-On program. If your provider is present in Apple's list, you sign in, let your cable co. confirm to Apple your a customer, and then it stores that info in iOS/tvOS.

You can then either 1) start downloading channel apps from the App Store, or 2) Click the "Find TV Apps" (or whatever it's actually called) and it'll list the apps you can download and sign in to. You have to "Sign in" in each app but if you've got the Single Sign-On turned on, then it quickly gets you logged in without changing screens or needing codes.

It sounds like your situation is temporarily hosed due to the Charter/Spectrum deal.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Thwomp posted:

Your cable provider has to enable support for the Apple Single Sign-On program. If your provider is present in Apple's list, you sign in, let your cable co. confirm to Apple your a customer, and then it stores that info in iOS/tvOS.

You can then either 1) start downloading channel apps from the App Store, or 2) Click the "Find TV Apps" (or whatever it's actually called) and it'll list the apps you can download and sign in to. You have to "Sign in" in each app but if you've got the Single Sign-On turned on, then it quickly gets you logged in without changing screens or needing codes.

It sounds like your situation is temporarily hosed due to the Charter/Spectrum deal.

Yeah, that sounds about right. Airplay it is. Thanks.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

thrawn527 posted:

So how does the subscriber login work for the Apple TV now? I found it in settings, selected my cable provider, but it never let me actually login. Does it just select your provider for you, but then you still have to login with each individual app with your login info? Seems strange to just eliminate the one step where I say, "Choose Spectrum".

Also, I think I'm still getting screwed somehow, but I think I may just be lost in a weird process. I want to use the Starz app using my cable login, so I download the Starz app, go to login, it preselects Spectrum, and it gives me a code to use to activate on the Starz website. I go there and use the code, then I have to login again, then I'm told, "This app is currently unavailable on tvOS for Spectrum customers in the former Charter Communications service area, but we're working to make it available soon. We're sorry for any inconvenience." That...sucks, if true. I mean, I can view it on my laptop, so I guess I can just Airplay it, but the whole point of having apps for this stuff now is so that isn't necessary.

It sounds like you haven't cut cable

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

TheScott2K posted:

It sounds like you haven't cut cable

My HOA has basic cable included in the mandatory dues, and I added Starz while this season of Outlander is on, after which I'll be removing it again. They had a deal that made it easier than adding it to my Hulu account. But as far as basic cable, I mean, free is free. I barely ever use it, and have Hulu and Netflix for most things I watch. I come in here for tips on how to use these things.

I should probably just add Starz to Hulu, if the drat thing will actually work.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

My dad had the same issue using the apps for some channels when he was on TimeWarner Spectrum.

Apparently, they don't license it for devices that connect directly to a TV. He ran into that with the SyFy app and I think the Investigation Discovery app as well. Credentials worked just fine on the computer and iPad/iPhone, just not on his Apple TV or FireTV.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It gets even more ridiculous when you're watching a channel on your phone through dtv now or similar and then it cuts off because an NFL game came on.
"Sorry boss, you gotta cast this since you're not on Verizon. No, it doesn't matter that you're on wifi. You can watch that channel on your phone when the game's over."

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

just picked up two Roku premieres for $40 each at Walmart in an effort to get my parents to cut cable. anyone know which live streaming service is the best for Spanish channels? sling seems to have the most variety but no Telemundo and I don't think my mom would like watching everything on sling then having to change the input on the TV for a single channel

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Sundar be praised; the Chromecast can now turn your TV off and on at your bidding.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/10/05/can-now-turn-off-chromecast-connected-tv-google-home-command/

Guess I don't need the remote anymore.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Skipopatomus posted:

just picked up two Roku premieres for $40 each at Walmart in an effort to get my parents to cut cable. anyone know which live streaming service is the best for Spanish channels? sling seems to have the most variety but no Telemundo and I don't think my mom would like watching everything on sling then having to change the input on the TV for a single channel

DirectTV now has Telemundo(VOD only not live), UniMás, Universo and Univision/Univision Deportes, but that looks to be about it.

PS Vue has Telemundo (it might be only for if you have "Local channel" availability in your area), e-ESPN Deportes, FOX Deportes

Fubo Latino has a bunch, but no Telemundo.

Other Options:

Telemundo app. I just went to the website and it doesn't appear to have a gatekeeper for cable logins. I don't think there's a "Watch live TV" option. Looks to be all VOD.

Does Roku have an HD Home Run compatible app? I don't know what your budget is, but an HD Home Run could be used with an antenna to pick up local broadcasts (incl. the local Spanish language channels).

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

what are the advantages of HD home run over just getting local channels over the air on a regular antenna?

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Skipopatomus posted:

what are the advantages of HD home run over just getting local channels over the air on a regular antenna?

The HDHomerun is accessible to anything on your network. A "regular antenna" is only accessible to the device it's hooked up to.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I'm annoyed i have to wait for this gradual rollout poo poo on Roku OS updates. There's no way to force it?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TheScott2K posted:

The HDHomerun is accessible to anything on your network. A "regular antenna" is only accessible to the device it's hooked up to.

This.

Skipopatomus posted:

Plus the whole not having to change TV inputs, which I think you said was an undesirable outcome.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

TheScott2K posted:

Using Plex and the HDHomerun you can also access your feed from outside your network too. I get locals in HD and basic cable in SD without a cable box so I can tune into pretty anything I need to from my phone. It's pretty sweet.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Very late to the party, but apparently some Walmarts are selling the older Roku Ultras for $64. Thought I would score one here, but it rang up at $99. Even though the shelf sticker said $64, the cashier said that the UPCs didn't match so no go for me. YMMV.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Very late to the party, but apparently some Walmarts are selling the older Roku Ultras for $64. Thought I would score one here, but it rang up at $99. Even though the shelf sticker said $64, the cashier said that the UPCs didn't match so no go for me. YMMV.

I noticed this yesterday as well, all that generation was on clearance but they were all sold out here. Worth checking out if you're in the market for one.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

HD Homerun is sounding pretty awesome, thanks for the info, everyone :banjo:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just FYI there's a 4-tuner model coming out this weekend if you're going that route.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

Just FYI there's a 4-tuner model coming out this weekend if you're going that route.

:aaa:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not TV related, but streaming and movie related, Movies Anywhere went live yesterday. This is an expansion of Disney Movies Anywhere and will ultimately replace Ultraviolet.

It's pretty simple, create a Movies Anywhere account (they accept Google or Facebook login as well as standalone) and you can link that account to iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, and Google Play.

Once you do, your movie purchases will cross sync across all those platforms. Any new purchases or digital copy code redemptions will automatically go to all of those services.

Only caveat right now is Paramount and Lionsgate aren't on board yet so those movies are left out. Negotiations are ongoing though so I would expect them to be on board eventually. This is also only for movies right now, not TV episodes.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Not TV related, but streaming and movie related, Movies Anywhere went live yesterday. This is an expansion of Disney Movies Anywhere and will ultimately replace Ultraviolet.

It's pretty simple, create a Movies Anywhere account (they accept Google or Facebook login as well as standalone) and you can link that account to iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, and Google Play.

Once you do, your movie purchases will cross sync across all those platforms. Any new purchases or digital copy code redemptions will automatically go to all of those services.

Only caveat right now is Paramount and Lionsgate aren't on board yet so those movies are left out. Negotiations are ongoing though so I would expect them to be on board eventually. This is also only for movies right now, not TV episodes.

You also get free poo poo for linking accounts. I got Ice Age, Big Hero 6, Jason Bourne, and the wrong Ghostbusters for linking my Vudu, Amazon, and Google accounts.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah there's quite a bit of discussion about it in the Blu Ray Deals thread in Coupons. Experiences vary, mine is 'utterly broken'.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah there's quite a bit of discussion about it in the Blu Ray Deals thread in Coupons. Experiences vary, mine is 'utterly broken'.

That sucks, mine went smoothly and I have about 190 movies in all 4 services now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

That sucks, mine went smoothly and I have about 190 movies in all 4 services now.

So hang on, if I sign into this with my iTunes account and my Vudu account, then my Vudu movies will be in my iTunes, and vice versa? Like, they pass the rights through or something? And I could watch my Vudu movies on my Apple TV through iTunes?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

thrawn527 posted:

So hang on, if I sign into this with my iTunes account and my Vudu account, then my Vudu movies will be in my iTunes, and vice versa? Like, they pass the rights through or something? And I could watch my Vudu movies on my Apple TV through iTunes?

As long as they aren't Paramount or Lionsgate, but yes.

Also, the iTunes free 4k upgrade works on Vudu ports to iTunes.

You can also link in Amazon and Google Play as well.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

As long as they aren't Paramount or Lionsgate, but yes.

Also, the iTunes free 4k upgrade works on Vudu ports to iTunes.

You can also link in Amazon and Google Play as well.

How do they make money?

Also, this is more of an out of curiosity thing, but if you linked someone else's account, say if you have movies in iTunes and they have movies in Vudu, do they verify identity in any way? Or just only let an account be linked to one Movies Anywhere account, and you can share movies across services like sharing Vudu logins?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You can only change retailer connections every 180 days so that would cut down on a lot of gaming the system. In theory though, you could switch up linkages every 6 months to share a library with someone else.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure what the issue is but it seems to be on MA side. I joined as a Facebook person out of laziness, maybe it was that. But each of the 3 services I have (I don't have a Vudu account) gave error messages with no usefulness to them but still marked as connected. So I got my movies, but they don't appear anywhere else from what I've seen. No massive deal, but thought I'd give it a spin. It'll sort itself out I'm sure.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

bull3964 posted:

You can only change retailer connections every 180 days so that would cut down on a lot of gaming the system. In theory though, you could switch up linkages every 6 months to share a library with someone else.

That’s awesome. Going to mess around with that this weekend. Thanks!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

thrawn527 posted:

How do they make money?
Looks like they offer movies for sale.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Hmm, signed up, connected my Vudu account, all the Vudu movies are in the Movies Anywhere account. Connected my iTunes account, and they're not showing up in my MA account or my Vudu account, and no Vudu movies in my iTunes.

I'll fiddle with it when I get home. Did this from my phone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

thrawn527 posted:

How do they make money?

I don't think this is about direct revenue as much as it is fostering consumer confidence so people will be more willing to buy movies and build a collection without worrying about what service they're getting tied down to. No more "I can watch this movie on this device, but they don't have an app on those other one."

Without a service like movies anywhere, it's almost like having to have 5 different, incompatible DVD players.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There can be a delay and I think push from iTunes was lagging for some. I've never purchased anything from iTunes as I've never owned an Apple device, so I can't comment on that. It should eventually work, stuff just went live yesterday so there are probably a few bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RZA Encryption posted:

I don't think this is about direct revenue as much as it is fostering consumer confidence so people will be more willing to buy movies and build a collection without worrying about what service they're getting tied down to. No more "I can watch this movie on this device, but they don't have an app on those other one."

Without a service like movies anywhere, it's almost like having to have 5 different, incompatible DVD players.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's like when people ask why I spend money on movies when I could just torrent. Back when I would illegally download movies, I said that if someone makes it easy to buy and download movies legally, I would. And then iTunes did, and I was on board. I can see something like this making people more on board for the whole digital streaming way of doing things. I'm telling everyone about this. Very cool.

bull3964 posted:

There can be a delay and I think push from iTunes was lagging for some. I've never purchased anything from iTunes as I've never owned an Apple device, so I can't comment on that. It should eventually work, stuff just went live yesterday so there are probably a few bugs.

I thought it might be something like that, but I was thrown when Vudu happened immediately. Cool, I'll hold steady and check when I get home.