Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

NZAmoeba posted:

And how long did that take to do?

A couple months back I did something that took the site down. I went from doing that, having a gut feeling it was a bad idea, confirming my suspicions, figuring out the quickest way to fix, and implementing it in 5 minutes 45 seconds, and a big chunk of that time was me reuploading code via our deployment system.

During that time I fired off one email to the rest of the Ops team that was pretty much this verbatim:

Subject: I have hosed #site#
Content: fixing now, 5 minutes.

Getting everyone in to talk about the situation can wait until after the problem is fixed, and staff should be trusted enough to make the best decisions about the fix without having to ask everyone else first.

The most we do when it's not going to be quick is let the manager know so they can handle the comms while the engineer works on it. Pulling in people from other teams is the engineer's call as well.

:shlick: That sounds nice. Tell me more

When I worked at the bank, I had to send an email in a certain format to everyone letting them know something was broken. I also had to send text messages to about four people.

Then I could work on the issue for ten minutes. Before it had been down for ~30 minutes, I had to send an update email. This entire time, i had to watch my phone/email and respond to any questions about why it was down, what was down, how long it would be, and which vendors were engaged. If it was going to be down for +45 minutes, I had to send out bank-wide severity notices. Which needed updated, and would get their own calls/emails/texts asking questions that I had to immediately respond to.

Will refusing to be on call ever ever again hurt my potential career projection? Because having 15 minute SLAs for every.single.thing including password resets burned me on on-call. And I just.. look, if I'm watching my kid pretend to be a bunny in her school play, I want to concentrate on that. Not on your URGENT PRODUCTION ISSUE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
That's rough dude. Should t your helpdesk be fielding the support calls and questions?

As far as not being on call, once you are past helpdesk/desktop support, on call is expected in IT. Even our helpdesk rotates into on call one week every two months.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Syano posted:

Same guy

I can hear MJP going "you know, that explains so goddamn much"

edit: gently caress that's what I get for not refreshing the thread since I loaded it in this tab 8 hours ago.

SyNack Sassimov fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 3, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

As far as not being on call, once you are past helpdesk/desktop support, on call is expected in IT. Even our helpdesk rotates into on call one week every two months.

I disagree with this. To a point, sure, for escalations every once in a while, but the higher you go, the less you should be getting called. Let junior/mid-level guys do that.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
Is "I really hate Portland and need to move somewhere else" a good enough reason to leave a job after a couple months?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Che Delilas posted:

The actual professionals get tired of explaining to our families what we do in a way they can understand (car analogies, always car analogies) and it gets a little annoying.

Your Mom’s 6 Best Attempts At Describing What You Do For A Living

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Pudgygiant posted:

Is "I really hate Portland and need to move somewhere else" a good enough reason to leave a job after a couple months?

Yeah, you'll want to use a phrase like "poor culture fit" instead. Misleading sure, but not a lie!

Heh, my mom has a better grasp than that, but when I was looking for my first (software development) job after college, she kept "helpfully" sending me random postings, many from the local paper's classifieds section, for help desk positions. I kept telling her that, no, help desk doesn't really "get my foot in the door" as a programmer and would more than likely be an utter dead end for my career, but she never really got it through her head.

I've given up trying to distinguish between IT and Development to non-industry people. I'll tell them I'm a software engineer, but if they respond with, "Oh you're in IT?" I just say yeah.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

jim truds posted:

Someday I want to go into the doctor's office, tell him my butt don't work, it ain't been workin for a month, and why can't he just fix it. No you can't look at it, I'm too busy doing butt stuff.

I wonder how he'll do.

I complained of butt stuff and he just ordered a test and told me to keep taking OTCs. Test came back negative and I never really followed up on it. I ended up taking probiotics for a while and it got better after like, 9 months.

If a user came to me with a problem and told him to keep using a workaround forever until the user tried something himself that worked, well, I wouldn't be a very good IT.

Speaking of Doctors, I have a nice steamy rant bubbling inside me, but that's for one of the other threads.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evol262 posted:

I disagree with this. To a point, sure, for escalations every once in a while, but the higher you go, the less you should be getting called. Let junior/mid-level guys do that.
I agree with your statement, but you are still on call. In fact, I am on call 24/7/365 but only get an out of hours call a few times per year. I just have to accept that occasionally there will be something that breaks at 2am and needs my attention.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

adorai posted:

I agree with your statement, but you are still on call. In fact, I am on call 24/7/365 but only get an out of hours call a few times per year. I just have to accept that occasionally there will be something that breaks at 2am and needs my attention.

My last position required me to be on call and even if I got a phone call at 2am and worked till 6am they expected me in the office at 9. I politely referred them to HR and if they expected me to drive in under lack of sleep and wrecked my car I would be filing a lawsuit. They decided my tenure at that position should end at that point. Worked out well. 3 months severance and my new job is triple the salary and I work from home.

E: and they still haven't filled my position because of how lovely it is. Been 3 months now. Suckers.

jaegerx fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jan 3, 2015

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

jaegerx posted:

E: and they still haven't filled my position because of how lovely it is. Been 3 months now. Suckers.

You reminded me; I just got in touch with an old co-worker, and in our conversation he told me that the woman they got to replace me after I quit (it took them about 4 months to do so), quit after about 9 months. Not "put in her notice," but just up and quit, because she couldn't take another day of working under my old boss (the sociopath/egomaniac about whom I've told a number of stories in these threads).

I'm not happy that the company is having trouble keeping good people, mostly because the work gets dumped on those who are left, most of whom I respect and don't deserve to be working for that shithead any more than I did. I'm just happy to get a little validation that my reasons for quitting when and how I did were not just me being a drama queen. The dude really is that obnoxious and oppressive.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

adorai posted:

I guess I consider the escalations more notional than actual, since I haven't been called (on or off hours) in 5 years. I figured this was normal, but maybe I'm the exception

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

skooma512 posted:

I complained of butt stuff and he just ordered a test and told me to keep taking OTCs. Test came back negative and I never really followed up on it. I ended up taking probiotics for a while and it got better after like, 9 months.

If a user came to me with a problem and told him to keep using a workaround forever until the user tried something himself that worked, well, I wouldn't be a very good IT.

Speaking of Doctors, I have a nice steamy rant bubbling inside me, but that's for one of the other threads.
On an only vaguely-related note, I think "butt stuff" should be our new term for expected work that falls outside our job descriptions

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?
What should be my response to the owner of my company condescendingly telling me to "worry about the desktop stuff?" for expressing any interest beyond my current role in desktop support. I know I kinda posted in a rage earlier all the things that pissed me off about my current job but it's kinds not getting any better

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

What should be my response to the owner of my company condescendingly telling me to "worry about the desktop stuff?" for expressing any interest beyond my current role in desktop support. I know I kinda posted in a rage earlier all the things that pissed me off about my current job but it's kinds not getting any better

:yosbutt:

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

If you don't think you have any room to grow professionally there, you have to look at some other questions:

• Am I learning anything in my current role that might be as valuable as the things I want to learn in a different role? (Soft skills count.)
  • Is the pay good enough for me to suck it down and deal with this while I learn and possibly certify on my own, in my free time?
  • Are there opportunities for professional mentorship at this job beyond things in my job description?

If you don't see any compelling reasons to stay, don't stay. There's relatively little risk in casually looking while you're already employed.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Since January is YOTJ time for lots and lots of technology people, I just wanted to reiterate the First Rule of Job Hunting: you should turn off activity broadcasts in your LinkedIn profiles. Employers get panicky if they see you connecting with lots of recruiters.

http://help.linkedin.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/78/~/showing-or-hiding-activity-updates-about-you

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Cannot wait to get YOTJ'ing in 2015. Love the current internal gig in sys admin and IT management, done some amazing projects, but it's been a couple of years and hopefully the next move is the "big" one.

I would do it in a second but I was hoping they would find me first :spooky:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Regarding on-call, I have to say working for a global company has it's benefits. We have IT staff in India, France, the UK, and all 3 timezones in the US. I think there's a couple of hours a day where there is no IT staff working during normal business hours.

I still go on call once every 6 weeks for an entire week, but I just have to respond to any alerts, phone calls and check the backup jobs. It's not difficult at all and we get some extra compensation for it. There are rarely any alerts, and never any calls.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jan 3, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
If I'm tentatively looking around for better jobs, should I be linking up with recruiters at companies I want to work for?

Something like "Hey, not sure if you have a spot for me right now but are my skills something you guys might need in the near future?"

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

I'm about to order

RHCSA/RHCE Exam guide by Michael Yang
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071765654/

The Practice of System and Network Administration (Limoncelli,Hogan,Chalup)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321492668/

Before I do that I wanted to get a reality check. TL;DR worked in SQA as my first real job years ago, past 10 years worked in a much less technical job.

I'm interested in this career path as I believe it will let me use my troubleshooting, research and technical skills while implementing solutions and keeping a system running.

My current job has taught me about time management, customer service, proactively keeping projects moving, and prioritizing a large workload.

I know the last 2 paragraphs sound a bit buzzwordy but i'm trying to get into the resume mindset and use less sarcastic terms (time management instead of spinning a poo poo ton of plates at once while one of your 6 bosses throw chainsaws in now and then).

Is starting as a junior or full Linux sysadmin with just the RHCSA under my belt a realistic expectation?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
FYI, Jang is working on a new book for the new certification.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Roargasm posted:

I would do it in a second but I was hoping they would find me first :spooky:
Don't do it; it's a really bad idea. I don't mean morally, I mean yeah that too but unless you're really into that sort of culture it's probably a bad fit. Internal morale is really, really bad and has been ever since Colin Powell threw them and the CIA under the bus for the bad yellowcake intel. It's only gotten worse post-Snowden. I guess if you could get a job doing satellite stuff or whatever, that might be cool, but right now is not a good time for intelligence agencies unless you like to labor under a persecution complex.

I once got headhunted by Palantir and I told them that with their software, they should already know I'm not interested in working for their company. Spying on citizens really brings out the snark in me, I guess.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
I'm personally disgusted by it, but I read the white papers about Frontier and exhaustive regression in the leak and it blew my mind. I would love to get my hands on something like that, but for science

e: I really appreciate the feedback though. Morale means a lot to me, even if the tech is virtually future magic

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Jan 3, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

madpanda posted:

I'm about to order

RHCSA/RHCE Exam guide by Michael Yang
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0071765654/

The Practice of System and Network Administration (Limoncelli,Hogan,Chalup)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321492668/

Before I do that I wanted to get a reality check. TL;DR worked in SQA as my first real job years ago, past 10 years worked in a much less technical job.

I'm interested in this career path as I believe it will let me use my troubleshooting, research and technical skills while implementing solutions and keeping a system running.

My current job has taught me about time management, customer service, proactively keeping projects moving, and prioritizing a large workload.

I know the last 2 paragraphs sound a bit buzzwordy but i'm trying to get into the resume mindset and use less sarcastic terms (time management instead of spinning a poo poo ton of plates at once while one of your 6 bosses throw chainsaws in now and then).

Is starting as a junior or full Linux sysadmin with just the RHCSA under my belt a realistic expectation?
Absolutely! Make sure to professionally network while you learn. My very serious recommendation is to join a local Linux Users Group or system administration group (a local LOPSA chapter, for example), and attend meetups on Docker or other emerging technologies. The friendships and professional relationships you form now will have just as much of an impact on your ability to get the job you want once you're certified as the certification itself, and being able to speak intelligently on bleeding-edge stuff, even if you've never had hands-on experience with it, communicates that you're willing to keep current with technology enhancements and the process changes they enable.

One thing I would also strongly recommend is to learn at least one major scripting language (Python, Ruby, Perl) along with the system certifications. Typically, Linux organizations are much more interested in hand-spun automation than comparable Windows environments.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Agreed. If you can pass it, you're absolutely qualified as at least a junior. I'm not sure about a "Full" (mid-level?) but the problem here is that it's in a timed lab format, so reading a book is only going to be moderate to low assistance on the test itself. Be aware it's going to be tough and if you haven't done linux before you're probably going to fail it the first time. That's why it's both valuable and a good baseline for a linux admin.

The networking and new technology thing is great once you're looking at moving up to mid/senior level; if you're shooting for a low to mid level job I think it's less important beyond the standard "hey there's an open slot at my company" thing so don't dedicate a lot of time to it, I feel that time is better spent playing around on a home lab or learning perl/python/ruby (and bash) to land that first job.

But that's just my opinion, and really it all helps in different ways.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 3, 2015

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Bhodi posted:

Agreed. If you can pass it, you're absolutely qualified as at least a junior. I'm not sure about a "Full" (mid-level?) but the problem here is that it's in a timed lab format, so reading a book is only going to be moderate to low assistance on the test itself. Be aware it's going to be tough and if you haven't done linux before you're probably going to fail it the first time. That's why it's both valuable and a good baseline for a linux admin.

The networking and new technology thing is great once you're looking at moving up to mid/senior level; if you're shooting for a low to mid level job I think it's less important beyond the standard "hey there's an open slot at my company" thing so don't dedicate a lot of time to it, I feel that time is better spent playing around on a home lab or learning perl/python/ruby (and bash) to land that first job.

But that's just my opinion, and really it all helps in different ways.
Very good advice about the RHCSA.

System administrators overwhelmingly tend to recruit out of their personal networks. Out of the five people I directly hired at my last job, two were referrals from another employee: one for a junior Windows engineer job, and one for a senior storage engineering job where the person we hired had no formal experience as a storage engineer. One was an internal transfer from a scientific computing group into IT. One was a hire out of my own social network, moving from a desktop support engineer to a junior backup and storage engineering position. Only one person in my group was hired as a direct applicant. None of the 120+ recruiter-submitted candidates I interviewed were hired for any position.

Professional networking is absolutely the most important thing you can do, especially when you're at a point in your career where the only thing differentiating you from any other candidate is the trust of someone already working at the company. It doesn't mean you spend eight hours a day doing it, but if you're investing no time at all into it, you're very seriously hamstringing your career.

edit for numbers: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/business/employers-increasingly-rely-on-internal-referrals-in-hiring.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jan 3, 2015

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I have to reluctantly agree. My current job (headhunted off of LinkedIn) is the only one I've never had that was not a personal network referral job. Those contacts were from family, ex-coworkers and personal friends. However, all of those people (excepting nepotism) could vouch for the quality of my work and myself as an individual.

It's definitely a catch-22, as so many things are in the professional world - you need references to get a job but you need to have worked with people to get references. I don't know that joining a local club can short-circuit that, but it can't hurt. Just don't go into it expecting the local equivalent of a job fair.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned specifically in this case is building yourself semi-professionally via github or stack exchange. It's a fairly new idea but It shows an ongoing record of engagement while providing hands-on experience with real-world problems and tools. You also might learn a useful thing or two, and contributing to the greater whole is a good thing to do anyway.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

evol262 posted:

Also, I jest. Power hardware is awesome, and I love my power8 kit. Just not aix, so I'm happy IBM is so involved on Linux on power

A while back it seemed you were on the fence with power, what changed?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

What's a realistic time frame for picking up your RHCSA?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Bhodi posted:

I once got headhunted by Palantir and I told them that with their software, they should already know I'm not interested in working for their company. Spying on citizens really brings out the snark in me, I guess.

They're a strange bunch. I interviewed with them in London a couple years back and at the time it seemed like their European team were recruiting people without really having any need for them, which led to some awkward video conferences where three rounds of US staff contradicted each other and had no idea what the job that had actually been advertised was about. I got a strong sense that if you weren't in the Palo Alto team then they didn't consider you a 'real' employee. That and trying far too hard to project their corporate culture as an easy-going casual environment just creeped me out too much.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

What's a realistic time frame for picking up your RHCSA?
It totally depends on your previous hands-on experience. As opposed to the MCSE-style "check off every correct way to do this thing" testing, which really requires heavy rote memorization, the lab format of the RHCSA means that you can run through the study guide in a weekend and brush up on stuff like SELinux if you work every day with CentOS and constantly touch most of the software on the exam. On the other hand, if you're completely green on Linux, it could easily take three or six months to be comfortable handling the tasks in a lab setting. Most people should fall somewhere in the middle.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Thanks Bhodi,Misogynist and Dr Arbitrary.

I have a bit of experience with Linux already so the sample questions I've seen weren't too bad.

Already planned on learning bash and probably Ruby, I did some basic scripts in perl/php and python ages ago. I see Ruby mentioned a lot so I will check that out for sure.

It sounds like landing a system admin job is a realistic goal, I was concerned that I set my sights too high and should be aiming for a less technical position.

Focusing on professional networking is something I did none of at my current position, it always felt slimey to me. I realize this is a mistake and will utilize professional contacts more.

Is it typical for system admins to work as part of a team? Starting out and being solely responsible for security, networking, DR, user issues etc sounds a bit overwhelming.

I found this linked on one of the linux podcasts, and it sounds like a great blueprint of becoming a well rounded system admin, something to work on addition to being on the job and gaining experience.

For just starting out its a lot to take in.

https://sysadmincasts.com/episodes/25-bits-sysadmins-should-know

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

madpanda posted:

Is it typical for system admins to work as part of a team? Starting out and being solely responsible for security, networking, DR, user issues etc sounds a bit overwhelming.

I found this linked on one of the linux podcasts, and it sounds like a great blueprint of becoming a well rounded system admin, something to work on addition to being on the job and gaining experience.

For just starting out its a lot to take in.

https://sysadmincasts.com/episodes/25-bits-sysadmins-should-know

That is a pretty good list. I agree that it's intimidating, but to be blunt, a sysadmin needs to know a lot about a lot of things to be successful. It's a tough, demanding, and (IMHO) fascinating and awesome field. I feel like I learn something new every single day which is what keeps me excited about doing it. You only want to get into this kind of work if you love learning.

You may work on a team or be totally solo, depending on the company. Having been the only admin for a few smallish companies, and on a team at a mid-size one, I vastly prefer being on a team. You will be on-call literally 24/7 if you're the only admin, and that sucks. You also have no one to bounce ideas off or collaborate with. You can get a lot of experience really quickly as a solo admin, but I feel like it also puts a cap on how much you can grow professionally.

A couple notes on the two books you linked earlier. They're both great, but also out of date. The RHCSA book covers the RHEL 6 exam, and the exams have now moved onto RHEL 7. Jang is working on a new book but I don't think it's out yet. And The Practice of... is a great resource, but you do need to keep in mind it came out in 2007. So certain topics, like virtualization, are barely mentioned despite being fundamental, required skills in 2015. It's also geared to a traditional, "enterprise" sysadmin where you're managing internal services and taking help desk escalations. These days, there are a lot of jobs in "operations" where you may be helping run your company's customer-facing services. Think big websites and SaaS products. These jobs might still have sysadmin as the title (mine does), or you might see Operations Engineer, DevOps Engineer, Site Reliability Engineer, etc. These require a different skillset, and those same authors recently put out a "volume 2" in the form of The Practice of Cloud System Administration. It's a great read, but I'll warn you that it assumes a higher baseline skill than the first book. Supposedly they are working on an updated edition of the first book as well, due out within the next year.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Pudgygiant posted:

Sure, why not? I left a Job in Lousiana after about 8 months to move TO Portland. Leaving a job because you're moving away is a perfectly valid reason.

Though I've got no idea why you'd really hate Portland, it's a good place with a decent IT job market.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

NippleFloss posted:

Though I've got no idea why you'd really hate Portland, it's a good place with a decent IT job market.

Is it? It seems most openings in the Pacific Northwest are more senior.

The job market in Texas appears to have a ton of demand for nearly everything no matter what level.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 4, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

The job market in Texas appears to have a ton of demand for nearly everything no matter what level.

Yes, but, as someone who lives in Texas, the drawback is that you live in Texas.

I mean, grass is greener, etc., and there's no state income tax here, but were it not for family and friends keeping me here I'd have left a long time ago.

keseph
Oct 21, 2010

beep bawk boop bawk

Tab8715 posted:

You spend 2-3 years of your career looking for entry level, you spend 30 years looking for senior level.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Tab8715 posted:

A while back it seemed you were on the fence with power, what changed?

I think POWER8 is great. I've always liked power, just not what power kit cost (especially as it gets easier to scale out), and the way IBM has done terrible things with cheaper Tivoli on power/etc.

8 is a modern, incredibly fast, reasonably affordable platform and IBM has put a metric ton of work into KVM on power (which is where I get involved). It's niagra (SPARC) and ARM's lovechild, and what's not to love about that?

madpanda posted:

I have a bit of experience with Linux already so the sample questions I've seen weren't too bad.
I'd suggest using centos7 or Fedora as a daily desktop. The exams for 7 are much more "real world" than 6, and getting familiar with libvirt, selinux, firewalld, yum, rpm, kickstarts, and other tasks which are more "Redhat" and less general Linux will make it a lot easier.

madpanda posted:

Already planned on learning bash and probably Ruby, I did some basic scripts in perl/php and python ages ago. I see Ruby mentioned a lot so I will check that out for sure.
Any language is a good language (learning one makes learning others easier), but ruby is hard. It picked up on default installs with puppet, chef, and rails, but is declining again. As an admin, you can generally expect python to be there on every system, and it's a great language to start with (stable, lots of resources, first-class language at Redhat)

madpanda posted:

Yes, though my experience has been that it's a lot of responsibility splitting, SMEs, and liasons with other teams, with little "group" work (you're all on the same systems, but not generally touching the same stuff as somebody else). This varies on your shop, though.

madpanda posted:

It's been said before by Misogynist, and you're already looking at it, but the single best thing you can do to become a well rounded sysadmin is learning to script/program. Also, a desire to take apart technologies, but curiosity helps in every job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Yes, but, as someone who lives in Texas, the drawback is that you live in Texas.

I mean, grass is greener, etc., and there's no state income tax here, but were it not for family and friends keeping me here I'd have left a long time ago.

I've lived all over the place and moved TO Texas. I like it here for some strange reason.

I want to move to Baton Rouge or NOLA to be closer to family, but the IT job market doesn't seem so hot. Texas isn't too far away and we get to visit often.