Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

:pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol @ most all of these things

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

whats the origin story of the hosed up tiny wolves?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
or by their other name, scrunthounds

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
hosed up tiny wolf was part of the dumb as gently caress hover-chariot that the Space Wolves got if I remember correctly.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

FirstPersonShitter posted:

They have a genetic issue where part of their spine is missing.

Here's a dog with a similar defect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdycNCNdqoI

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Who What Now posted:

hosed up tiny wolf was part of the dumb as gently caress hover-chariot that the Space Wolves got if I remember correctly.

someone sewed a wolf/cyote head onto rabbit and posted it on face book. drat i'm late on that edit

TOILETLORD fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 12, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a BYOB thing

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mange Mite posted:

or by their other name, scrunthounds

good name, is now cannon, but as an alternative to "hosed up tiny wolves" and not a superposition

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

http://i.imgur.com/xpJxKpD.jpg

nws, dead animals

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

TOILETLORD posted:

someone sewed a wolf/cyote head onto rabbit and posted it on face book. drat i'm late on that edit

nah p sure it's a real animal, just a weird genetic freak like that dog in the youtube video.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Forgot the original thread but we had a FUTA thread afterwards

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659677

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Chill la Chill posted:

Forgot the original thread but we had a FUTA thread afterwards

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3659677

im loving furious that isn't what i thought it would be!!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
It doesn't just happen to wolves either

effects dog breeds too, YouTube dog with no neck

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

scalded schlong posted:

hosed up tiny animals encompasses many things - plz be more inclusive

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

hosed up tiny animals encompasses many things - plz be more inclusive

Pretty sure Schlong was expecting something else from a "Futa" thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

scalded schlong posted:

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Who What Now posted:

You'd think "space vikings" would be impossible to screw up, but they managed.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
um actually everything GW does is fine and good

all their stuff is great you should buy everything

*faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart*

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013
GW did nothing wrong
great avatar moola

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
cheers Noctis :)

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Noctis Horrendae posted:

Let me lay out what I'm asking here so that this thread does not devolve into the classic "can/should/will GW ever let" women as Space Marines happen. And I mean Space Marines as in Astartes. Not Sisters of Silence, not Sister of Battle. Astartes. So, to my specific question:

Could a female undergo the same enhancements undergone by individuals like Kor Phaeron, circa the Age of Darkness?

Since this enhancement does not involve geneseed or the troubling trope that the organ "only works with male chromosomes," could a woman undergo the same mixture of cybernetics and muscle-enhancers that make the pseudo-Astartes? I honestly think that it could work, given that nothing about what I have read in the novels invalidates a woman serving in that capacity. Yes, I know that the Space Marines would look at her askew and have trouble accepting her but that's what makes this concept interesting to me. Just for an example, Angron has been vocal about his respect for all his fellow slaves, no matter their gender. So purely hypothetically, if any of the women of his band of rebels survived, wouldn't he have said "set 'em up?"

I dunno guys. I really like this. If I'm totally off-base, let me down easy.

i missed u bro

i thought you were banned from posting in 40k threads thou?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

quote:

et me lay out what I'm asking here so that this thread does not devolve into the classic "can/should/will GW ever let" women as Space Marines happen. And I mean Space Marines as in Astartes. Not Sisters of Silence, not Sister of Battle. Astartes. So, to my specific question:

Could a female undergo the same enhancements undergone by individuals like Kor Phaeron, circa the Age of Darkness?

Since this enhancement does not involve geneseed or the troubling trope that the organ "only works with male chromosomes," could a woman undergo the same mixture of cybernetics and muscle-enhancers that make the pseudo-Astartes? I honestly think that it could work, given that nothing about what I have read in the novels invalidates a woman serving in that capacity. Yes, I know that the Space Marines would look at her askew and have trouble accepting her but that's what makes this concept interesting to me. Just for an example, Angron has been vocal about his respect for all his fellow slaves, no matter their gender. So purely hypothetically, if any of the women of his band of rebels survived, wouldn't he have said "set 'em up?"

I dunno guys. I really like this. If I'm totally off-base, let me down easy.

Yes, they could do it. No, they never would because it'd be ten times more costly to do this than making normal Astartes. Also the Emperor purposefully allowed all of Angron's fellow slaves to get slaughtered like dogs. That's why Angron hated the big E.

HTH

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lets just make all new breastplate to contain their swole tits. No way the imperium has the know-how to design anything new and produce it at large scale. Prolly end up with normal armor with tit holes cut out

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Partly true, from a real world perspective, but this is a galaxy where we have huge diversity in human phenotype – from ratlings to squats to beastmen. It's entirely possible that a recruiting world might produce stronger/physically more capable women than men – we even have House Escher from Necromunda as an example. That's putting aside the general reality that while there's a disparity between males and females at the extremes of physical fitness, that doesn't run through the general populace. A female athlete could very easily be fitter, stronger and faster than a large proportion of men, for example – even male athletes from different disciplines.

Further, the argument that you should feed the Astartes-making resources to the inherently physically more capable is moot in a galaxy with ogryns. The background has been fairly consistent in that it's the 'will to win' that's vital to a recruit, not their physical capability – as that's exactly what the geneseed/process is meant to override and improve. Part of the dystopian reality of the setting is the body horror that the Imperium can and will alter you physically.

So, a plausible in-universe explanation for the possibility of female pseudo-Astartes can be made. However, I'd note that the hypocrisy and general malaise of the setting is typified by general oppressiveness, reactionism and ultra-fascist policies – so misogyny unfortunately fits in right alongside the other more unpleasant aspects of humanity in the 40k setting. In the 30th Millennium, however, there's more of a sense of enlightenment and fair play – but even here I'd note that it's far from a liberal paradise.

To answer the initial question, 'Could a female undergo the same enhancements undergone by individuals like Kor Phaeron, circa the Age of Darkness?', I'd say 'yes, in theory'. I wouldn't personally have any problem with such a character/army – indeed, handled well, the concept provides a huge number of great story hooks, plot arcs and ideas. However, there's a great risk of it being handled or interpreted badly in tabletop terms (if that's the ultimate goal), so I'd say it's more of a headache than it's worth.

However, for an alternative setting, it's intriguing. Consider the following:
1) An Expeditionary fleet arrives at Nuceria. The Emperor deploys his troops to fight alongside Angron, convincingly defeating the highriders. A great number of the slave army survives.
2) Wary, but grateful, Angron joins the Crusade. He takes command of the Warhounds and demands that all survivors be offered the choice of joining the Legion.
3) Attempts to 'elevate' the first wave of female volunteers of the army fails, so Angron demands his chireurgeons use the pseudo-astartes techniques (as for Kor Phaeron, Luther etc.)
4) Rape
5) A small cadre of female 'Astartes' are created.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BULBASAUR posted:

However, for an alternative setting, it's intriguing. Consider the following:
1) An Expeditionary fleet arrives at Nuceria. The Emperor deploys his troops to fight alongside Angron, convincingly defeating the highriders. A great number of the slave army survives.
2) Wary, but grateful, Angron joins the Crusade. He takes command of the Warhounds and demands that all survivors be offered the choice of joining the Legion.
3) Attempts to 'elevate' the first wave of female volunteers of the army fails, so Angron demands his chireurgeons use the pseudo-astartes techniques (as for Kor Phaeron, Luther etc.)
4) Rape
5) A small cadre of female 'Astartes' are created.

Space Marines be firin' blanks, bro. Ain't no lady marines gettin' preggo from them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Heeere we go again.

The answer to the question "could there be women space marines" is not and will never be based on whether it "would make sense" in the lore. It's a design decision made by terrible human beings, and it won't and can't happen until or unless the people in control of the IP become less terrible. That's the entirety of the discussion right there. It could be done if GW wanted to do it and was willing to alter their IP in a significant way, but they don't, so it won't happen.

All the rest is the the worst sort of inspid fan-canon wankery.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
My mother, who was educated at the University of Chicago, a fairly liberal place, and who had travelled around Europe and Israel by herself, was of the opinion that, with the exception of a few "amazons", war was a "realm that women should not enter." that is direct quote from her after reading Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

We all agree that there are exceptional individuals suited for combat, let's leave it at that and, as Kol Saresk said, let's get back on topic.

One small issue; it should be sex, not gender. Gender is whether a word is masculine, feminine or neutral. Sex is whether an organism is male or female.
It's a pet peeve of mine.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
No good will come of defining any of these terms.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

BULBASAUR posted:

Gender is whether a word is masculine, feminine or neutral. Sex is whether an organism is male or female.

Not just a word.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

My mother, who was educated at the University of Chicago, a fairly liberal place, and who had travelled around Europe and Israel by herself, was of the opinion that, with the exception of a few "amazons", war was a "realm that women should not enter." that is direct quote from her after reading Storm of Steel by Ernst Junger.

We all agree that there are exceptional individuals suited for combat, let's leave it at that and, as Kol Saresk said, let's get back on topic.

One small issue; it should be sex, not gender. Gender is whether a word is masculine, feminine or neutral. Sex is whether an organism is male or female.

lol :vince:

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

BULBASAUR posted:

Source your quotes

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
You agree that average males > average females?

Then you should agree that exceptional males > exceptional females

If the enhancement program is seeking top physical specimens, there will still be a preference for males. If you take all the exceptional males and average them and if you take the exceptional females and average them, the male average will in all likelihood be superior. Furthermore, there will be an elite group of males who are physically superior to all females. This is corroborated in real life athletics.

This of course doesn't mean circumstances would never permit a female to receive enhancements...but superior male physical performance at all levels is a biological fact. I can't believe people are actually disputing this or trying to minimise this. Wow...

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

If the enhancement program is seeking top physical specimens, there will still be a preference for males. If you take all the exceptional males and average them and if you take the exceptional females and average them, the male average will in all likelihood be superior. Furthermore, there will be an elite group of males who are physically superior to all females. This is corroborated in real life athletics.

This of course doesn't mean circumstances would never permit a female to receive enhancements...but superior male physical performance at all levels is a biological fact. I can't believe people are actually disputing this or trying to minimise this. Wow...

Warseer?

Noctis Horrendae
Nov 1, 2013

BULBASAUR posted:

i missed u bro

i thought you were banned from posting in 40k threads thou?

Nah just the games forum on the whole

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
What's really surprising is that no one has thought to put Space Marine organs in a dog and then put that dog in power armor and a bolter that shoots whenever it barks and chainswords for teeth.

I mean come on, you know the Space Wolves have at least tried. And GW could sell a bunch of new dog models.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
Agreed. They already stole Space Marines from Starship Troopers might as well get the neodogs too.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What the heck do you think hosed up tony wolves are

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

haha found it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

https://www.eternalcrusade.com/join-the-war

Who's going to be the first to get the $450 video game :allears:

• Locked thread