Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

Pushkin, a great Russian poet, hid in a closet in his childhood to observe the visit of a poet he admired. He expected the poet to say something profound, but the poet just asked where the bathroom was.

Never meet your heroes.

The dude literally just came over to use their bathroom? How long was this visit planned in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ensign Expendable posted:

Pushkin, a great Russian poet, hid in a closet in his childhood to observe the visit of a poet he admired. He expected the poet to say something profound, but the poet just asked where the bathroom was.

Never meet your heroes.

“Kings and philosophers poo poo—and so do ladies.”

—Michel de Montaigne (d. 13 September 13 1592, N.S.)

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

That's Christoph Schappeler (1472-1551), a theologian from Switzerland who was very influential in establishing Protestantism in the Imperial City of Memmingen. But that's not why I posted this here, because holy poo poo look at this portrait of his

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It is a very geometric haircut, I'll give you that.

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

He looks like he's about to be twisted into a pretzel by Stardust the Super Wizard.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I think he looks like he's ready to loving cut a dude, just look at his eyes and his mouth, they clearly spell murder

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Sadly the other half of the diptych (a cowering papist) has been lost to the ages.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Powaqoatse posted:

Sadly the other half of the diptych (a cowering papist) has been lost to the ages.

I wonder if the portrait was supposed to signify how badass he was, just laying out theology on people. Or if it was a jab at him, "look at this angry protestant, why are they always so mad?". Did he commission it himself and was like "no, make the frown deeper" and then hang it in his home?

Nice hat.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

He looks like he's about to be twisted into a pretzel by Stardust the Super Wizard.

"You proclaimed yourself as a Protestant, and now you shall be transformed into a protesting ant!"

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
The portrait is the first "pull my finger" on record. The real story is that he was super constipated but also had to fart so he thought hey maybe if he had somebody pull on his finger it will change the pressure. That's why he looks so grumpy.

Somebody did and he took the biggest poo poo there ever was or ever will be immediately. Everybody present was so impressed that they immortalized the moment in that painting.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

System Metternich posted:

That's Christoph Schappeler (1472-1551)

Why would they split his surname rather than using another line a line break?

theroachman
Sep 1, 2006

You're never fully dressed without a smile...
I think it stems from when text would be hewn in stone. It saves space. You don't need line breaks when you put a dot between words otherwise.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Abbreviating common words and phrases is constant from at least Roman inscriptions to medieval diplomas until the advancement of paper and the printing press made saving space and time (for writing by hand) an increasingly minor concern.

In the picture it saves space and gold while retaining legibility with the letter size.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

frankenfreak posted:

Abbreviating common words and phrases is constant from at least Roman inscriptions to medieval diplomas until the advancement of paper and the printing press made saving space and time (for writing by hand) an increasingly minor concern.

In the picture it saves space and gold while retaining legibility with the letter size.

in what way does it save gold to write the name on two lines instead of one. how would you save gold writing

SCHA
PPELERUS

instead of just SCHAPPELERUS

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
He said abbreviations

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

When 98% of the population can't read or write, nobody thinks much about kerning and spacing. People didn't even consistently spell their names the same.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

System Metternich posted:

That's Christoph Schappeler (1472-1551), a theologian from Switzerland who was very influential in establishing Protestantism in the Imperial City of Memmingen. But that's not why I posted this here, because holy poo poo look at this portrait of his

Looks like he's pointing out where the bathroom is.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the painter used the line breaks they did because they're center-justifying, you see the same things on texts. it looks good.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

If you wanted to center-justify while still respecting word breaks, you could do that.

They didn't do that at the time, because spacing didn't carry the same weight then as it does now. As theroachman mentioned, writing material was at a premium whether rock, parchment, or paper. They used dots between the letters instead of spacing. Most writers would be used to just writing until reaching the edge & then continuing below. If you've used a typewriter, it gets to be a conscious decision if you have enough letters to write the word out or you have to do the *ka-ching* carriage return + linefeed. For them it didn't matter.

Pretty much anything written on paper I've seen up until say late 17th/early 18th century will almost always have the entire surface of the paper used. Of course it's heavily dependant on whether there's budget for it or not. Wealthier writers (writers employed by wealthier patrons) will leave huge blank spots and create giant elaborate curlicue titles, others will write so compactly that you'll have to scan each line minutely to tell when a new entry begins.

So since words & spacing had different meanings then than now, I'm guessing the painter just attempted for a vaguely upside-down triangle shape; write to the edge for the first line, then continue on the second line, slightly indented & end it before the first, etc.

e: sketching something out on paper would be a crazy waste of money

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 00:30 on Mar 18, 2017

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Powaqoatse posted:

If you wanted to center-justify while still respecting word breaks, you could do that.

They didn't do that at the time, because spacing didn't carry the same weight then as it does now. As theroachman mentioned, writing material was at a premium whether rock, parchment, or paper. They used dots between the letters instead of spacing. Most writers would be used to just writing until reaching the edge & then continuing below. If you've used a typewriter, it gets to be a conscious decision if you have enough letters to write the word out or you have to do the *ka-ching* carriage return + linefeed. For them it didn't matter.

Pretty much anything written on paper I've seen up until say late 17th/early 18th century will almost always have the entire surface of the paper used. Of course it's heavily dependant on whether there's budget for it or not. Wealthier writers (writers employed by wealthier patrons) will leave huge blank spots and create giant elaborate curlicue titles, others will write so compactly that you'll have to scan each line minutely to tell when a new entry begins.

So since words & spacing had different meanings then than now, I'm guessing the painter just attempted for a vaguely upside-down triangle shape; write to the edge for the first line, then continue on the second line, slightly indented & end it before the first, etc.

e: sketching something out on paper would be a crazy waste of money

They drew the image directly on the medium, be it wood, canvas or whatever. You sat for the actual painting. The master usually did the portrait and the more important parts, then had the apprentice fill in the rest. The solid backgrounds were typically done by apprentices. Leonardo was famous for doing all his atmospheric backgrounds himself.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjV5xnc04m8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Khazar-khum posted:

They drew the image directly on the medium, be it wood, canvas or whatever. You sat for the actual painting. The master usually did the portrait and the more important parts, then had the apprentice fill in the rest. The solid backgrounds were typically done by apprentices. Leonardo was famous for doing all his atmospheric backgrounds himself.

Yes, those are all parts of an image with clearly visible proportions. I have no doubt the painter knew where to put the head when he started a fresh painting. If you're used to drawing or painting a dude, you know how much space you need for his weird hair & hat and his pointing index finger.

Letters are "different" if you don't write a lot, and especially if the rules are also different from what we consider normal. Think about children (and inexperienced signmakers) writing smaller and smaller letters as they get nearer the edge of the paper. To us an edge is a stop-marker, we need to put an apostrophe. In medieval times, an edge was just a signal to start writing/reading below.

And they already had the dots instead of spaces, so there's not really any need to take into account words being broken up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

that helmet is almost too wehrmacht

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Aug 25, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I've always wanted to put a pope and and antipope in a room together, just to see what would happen.

Just a simple hotel room with a queen size bed and rose petals scattered about, scented candles and a perfectly decent red wine.

Kenny G on the stero.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Powaqoatse posted:

I've always wanted to put a pope and and antipope in a room together, just to see what would happen.
You'd probably just end up with two photons.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
You'd get the Council of Pisa.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Obviously, you'd discover the God particle.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

Heresy.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Powaqoatse posted:

There is a theory which states that if ever a pope and anti‐pope occupy the same room, the Universe will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.

There is another theory which states that this has already happened.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet
Here's another odd one.

German Politicians from the two city states of Bremen and Hamburg, always refuse any Order of Merit or decoration, it's an old republican tradition for those two states.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

RagnarokZ posted:

German Politicians from the two city states of Bremen and Hamburg, always refuse any Order of Merit or decoration, it's an old republican tradition for those two states.
I thought it was easy to Order a Hamburger?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

DACK FAYDEN posted:

BOOOOOOOOOOOO

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

:golfclap:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Is that protesting that women weren't allowed to drink coffee, or protesting that people shouldn't drink it at all?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Is that protesting that women weren't allowed to drink coffee, or protesting that people shouldn't drink it at all?

They complain that coffee = :flaccid:

Or in their own words, that their men are becoming French-like.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

In The House of the Seven Gables, Judge Pyncheon's wife realizes what a bastard he is right after they are married and he demands coffee in bed every morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I assume the Keepers of the Liberty of Venus is an amazing way to say women as a whole? Cause I was hoping that it was like an ancient sisterhood, freemason style. Imagine the minutes from the meeting right before they decided to publish that?