Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Whatever Sabaton owns

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epeQwq-aYV0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
I'm finally reading Master and Commander again, it's such a good book.

One question that I have: He writes about the guns on the Sophie but mentions some of them are brass. I'm assuming most of the guns were iron and only a couple were brass?

Is there any particular reason a brass cannon would work better than an iron one in the early 1800s?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
won't shatter if you get a failure
no ferrous material = no sparks

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

SquadronROE posted:

One question that I have: He writes about the guns on the Sophie but mentions some of them are brass. I'm assuming most of the guns were iron and only a couple were brass?

Is there any particular reason a brass cannon would work better than an iron one in the early 1800s?

Are you sure he is talking about brass or bronze?

Cast bronze is stronger than cast iron, so depending on the size of the gun and the pressures it needs to contain, bronze is an easier and cheaper way to make the same object, up until you reach the point bronze cannot contain the relative pressures.

This is why gunmetal, a high zinc bronze, was used in guns for a long rear end time.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
iron guns are cheaper than bronze though

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i should have said steel, not iron, leaving it there. you are 100% right iron is cheaper than bronze.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i should have said steel, not iron, leaving it there. you are 100% right iron is cheaper than bronze.
this is why galleys have three bronze guns in the nose and non-galleys have a shitton of iron cannon, just...everywhere

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
Also why chasers are often Bronze on a well appointed ship.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Disinterested posted:

Also why chasers are often Bronze on a well appointed ship.

IIRC O'Brien actually does refer to the bow chasers as brass rather than bronze, for whatever reason. Aubrey captures a couple of long bronze 9 pounders in an early novel, and he keeps them as his personal property and installs them in the bow of each new ship he commands, for basically the rest of the series.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
because bronze guns are super pretty and they're cast not wrought, so a nice one will ring itself like a bell when it shoots and you can hear the pinnnnnnng afterwards, making you happy

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
"Hear"

You mean tinnitus with pinnnnnnng

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that's my bad ear, i definitely heard this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Pffffffft, bronze is practically free!!

provided that you get it by melting Pope's church bells

P.S. The Tsar Cannon is bronze and weighs about the same as a T-62.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
My fault, I meant bronze. So the advantage of bronze is that it can handle more powder and thus a higher pressure making the same weight of shot more powerful?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Trin Tragula posted:

Yeah, I've tried to fix this a few times, and each time it breaks and doesn't do what it's supposed to and you end up missing three or four days at a time using the bottom buttons. The book doesn't have this problem, and you get a lot of added material too!

e; f, thanks

Hey, the links page for your 1915 book is broken. They all link to the UK store and I would rather pay in bux than squids.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
I guess I'll drop this here. Spoilers: the BAOR was not very good at its job in 1973.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

SquadronROE posted:

I just knocked through the first few O'Brian's. I was really surprised by how well written they are. I've never come across such nerdy, detail heavy historical fiction which has any literary merit.

Are they generally considered to be good on the historical side of things?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

HEY GAL posted:

because bronze guns are super pretty and they're cast not wrought, so a nice one will ring itself like a bell when it shoots and you can hear the pinnnnnnng afterwards, making you happy

In Desolation Island, they use the bronze guns in a fight with a much larger ship. Preserved Killick is occasionally allowed to fire them, because it turns the grouchy, complain-y Killick entirely civil for upwards of an hour

e:

Mr Enderby posted:

I just knocked through the first few O'Brian's. I was really surprised by how well written they are. I've never come across such nerdy, detail heavy historical fiction which has any literary merit.

O'Brien admits that he starts fudging the historical accuracy in Desolation Island, (he's basically pulling a MASH; if he kept to the historical timeline he'd run past the Napoleonic wars in a few novels) but otherwise I believe it is pretty good. Fun fact about the first book; the Spanish Frigate they capture they rename "Cacafugeo" (IE Shitfire), which is a nod to Sir Francis Drake, who did the same thing with the Spanish Treasure Galleon he captured.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Sep 26, 2016

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Mr Enderby posted:

History Buffs just spent a video praising the accuracy of the movie, though I don't know how legit he is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iwea41ua0Y

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Hey, the links page for your 1915 book is broken. They all link to the UK store and I would rather pay in bux than squids.

Thanks, I'll fix it

here you go though https://www.amazon.com/1915-Battalions-First-Day-Day-ebook/dp/B01BMVK9YM/

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Oh, one more thing about Master and Commander:

having read the whole series, I realize that being in the Royal Navy was in some ways like being in academia.

First: too many officers. While the British are kidnapping people to meet their naval manpower needs, they create too many officers, who struggle about, looking for a commission. You need to get on a Man O'War; otherwise your career will go nowhere and you'll never have a shot at prize money. Second, getting on a ship and staying there for awhile is a pretty arbitrary, random thing. You might finally get a commission on a Man O'War, but then you might spend a year on the Brest blockade, which is even less fun than it sounds. You might also get a commission on a ship that makes one voyage - and then is decommissioned, and you're back to square one. Third, there's tenure. There's a pecking order for ship commanders- first, the titular master and commander of a ship, then Captain, then Post-Captain. When you are made post captain, you've essentially got your tenure; Promotion to admiral is done by seniority alone, so you get the job eventually, as long as you can stay alive.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Törni was utterly nuts, he first volunteered to the Waffen SS after Winter War but returned to Finland when it turned out that he couldn't get that sweet officer's commission that he had wanted. But it's understandable that he fascinates people. He reminds you of some 17th century adventurer who goes to war in the ranks of the Swedish army, then joins the Habsburg side and finally finds himself fighting for the Spanish crown in some South American jungle.

This is funny because I knew little about his past, but I am 90% certain this is the same guy who was one of the early members of the US Army Special Forces in the late 50s or 60s. A lot their early membership was made up of badass (sometimes crazy) former soldiers from various European armies.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Oh, one more thing about Master and Commander:

having read the whole series, I realize that being in the Royal Navy was in some ways like being in academia.

First: too many officers. While the British are kidnapping people to meet their naval manpower needs, they create too many officers, who struggle about, looking for a commission. You need to get on a Man O'War; otherwise your career will go nowhere and you'll never have a shot at prize money. Second, getting on a ship and staying there for awhile is a pretty arbitrary, random thing. You might finally get a commission on a Man O'War, but then you might spend a year on the Brest blockade, which is even less fun than it sounds. You might also get a commission on a ship that makes one voyage - and then is decommissioned, and you're back to square one. Third, there's tenure. There's a pecking order for ship commanders- first, the titular master and commander of a ship, then Captain, then Post-Captain. When you are made post captain, you've essentially got your tenure; Promotion to admiral is done by seniority alone, so you get the job eventually, as long as you can stay alive.

If the US Army of the non-ACW 1800s is any indication, seniority promotions to the top gigs are a crap shoot.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

MrMojok posted:

This is funny because I knew little about his past, but I am 90% certain this is the same guy who was one of the early members of the US Army Special Forces in the late 50s or 60s. A lot their early membership was made up of badass (sometimes crazy) former soldiers from various European armies.

Törni was the inspiration for Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse now. I read a biography about him once, aaand now I finally understand that said biography might have skimped on a few details. Like how he was a true blood volounteer for the SS. During the Lappland war jesus christ.

e. Larry Thorne disappeared during mission insertion in South Vietnam '65

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

Törni was the inspiration for Col. Kurtz in Apocalypse now. I read a biography about him once, aaand now I finally understand that said biography might have skimped on a few details.

I think you are mixing movies? Törni is the inspiration behind a character named Captain Sven Kornie in the 1965 book The Green Berets, which then was given the Hollywood treatment starring John Wayne (and which has very little in common with the book or reality). But I'm sure you knew that, ThisIsJohnWayne!

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011

Cyrano4747 posted:

nd everyone needed to make as many proven rifles as they could ASAP. Germany is a bit of an odd case but there were big political considerations behind not developing an autoloaders until the early 40s.

Also re: wehraboos and the myth of superior equipment: remember that a lot of that was caused by post war generals memoirs that were studied as the how to on fighting the commie menace. You really have to look st that through the lens of the early Cold War.

Do we have any accounts of the American/British general's reactions to those memoirs? Does seem kinda of odd that experienced generals who fought the Germans didn't see anything through the Germans' self serving accounts.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Ataxerxes posted:

There is also the curious case of Jewish citizens of Finland serving in the Finnish Armed Forces during WW2. The Finnish Holocaust memorial society has an article written by Tapani Harviainen, professor of semic languages in Helsinki University.
http://www.hum.fi/holokausti/mita-tapahtui-suomessa/ (article is in Finnish, but below is a part I translated)

"The Winter War doesn't seem to have caused any more ideological problems for Jews than for other Finns. All men due for armed service, 260, (asevelvolliset) served in the army, 200 of them in frontline service. Fifteen Jews were killed in battle, which, percentually, means consiredable heavy lossess. Accoring to an often repeated approximation Winter War gave also Jews the feeling of being part of the Finnish people.

With regards to the Continuation War (1941-44) the situation was different. Finland fought as a brother-in-arms with Germany, there were German troops in the country and while the fullest extend of the cruelty of the anti-Jewish purges was obfuscated the harsh anti-semitism of Nazi Germany was known. Despite this Finnish Jews served, during the Continuation War, in frontline service and as Lotta Svärd (female) volunteers without difference compared to other citizens; this applied to all minorities, the Romani, Russians and Tatars included. Several Jewish soldiers were awarded medals, a few reached the rank of captain and served as company commanders, Salomon Klass as a battalion commander. Jewish military doctors included doctors of the rank of major. The German attitude to Jewish soldiers has been described as being confused but correct. No instances are known where German soldiers would have refused co-operation with Finnish Jewish soldiers, nor cases where Jews would have refused to serve due to pacifism or Jewishness. In 1942 a cardboard Synagogue, "Scholkas shul" was set up at the Syväri front, where Jewish soldiers from the Uusimaa brigade and other nearby units served until 1944. A field synagogue, equipped with Torah scrolls, must have been an unique phenomenon among the equipment of the countries fighting on the side of the Germans."

Huh, Finland had female soldiers too? I thought the soviets were unique, in that regard?

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
re: bronze guns;

The terms bronze and brass were used interchangeably in the US; not sure about else where. Bronze was the preferred metal for cannons for a long time because it would not burst when its elastic limit was exceeded (so you can use more powder, as other posters have pointed out). It is not ideal for rifling or adding hoops though. Cast iron was the next most popular choice as it is cheaper and has better hardness but bursting is not uncommon. Getting ahead of the discussion, steel became the preferred material by all major countries by the 1880s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

sabaton wrote a song about gustavus adolphus, it's difficult to lower that bar

Sabaton writes songs about literally everything, I have no idea what their political affiliation is other than "war is super cool guys"

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

spectralent posted:

Huh, Finland had female soldiers too? I thought the soviets were unique, in that regard?

Lotta Svärd was a paramilitary women's unarmed service organization, the women's version of Suojeluskunta civil guards organization. Lotta volunteers served as nurses, secretaries, telephone operators, cooks, air surveillance etc. The only exception where women were given rifles was a searchlight unit in Helsinki in 1944, as they were expected to be able to shoot anyone trying to sabotage the lights.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

Sabaton writes songs about literally everything, I have no idea what their political affiliation is other than "war is super cool guys"
if they can't balance their gustavus adolphus song with one about the glories of the imperialist war machine, they're biased

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

if they can't balance their gustavus adolphus song with one about the glories of the imperialist war machine, they're biased

I think they did a whole album on Swedish imperial ambitions so that might take a lot of songs.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

Nenonen posted:

I think you are mixing movies? Törni is the inspiration behind a character named Captain Sven Kornie in the 1965 book The Green Berets, which then was given the Hollywood treatment starring John Wayne (and which has very little in common with the book or reality). But I'm sure you knew that, ThisIsJohnWayne!

I did know that! But believe it or not, same guy different movie. The backstory of Kurtz is (supposedly) ripped from Törni: old man doggedly tries to prove to unwilling command that he should go through special forces training, he does while being all impressive and high-scoring and poo poo, becomes a living legend in the special forces, disappears in the "Jungles of Vietnam" TM.

I'm not loving with you haha

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

OwlFancier posted:

I think they did a whole album on Swedish imperial ambitions so that might take a lot of songs.
well tilly and montecuccoli had very long careers, they should get writing

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

HEY GAL posted:

swedish bias isn't bias, it is gods own opinion because we won :yotj:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
how many of you are in this goddamn thread

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007

There is honestly alot more to say about Lauri Törni and fjärrspanspatrullerna, and likewise the group of finnish veterans who wanted to, and successfully did join the american armed forces after the war (we are just så gosh-darned wanting to be änti-communists, donsht yå know! Jeder Treu Semper Fidelis never stop the good fight is the classical tale) but I am super stressed because the debate is starting and my Abuela is on and going to murder Orange Hitler, so laters

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

HEY GAL posted:

well tilly and montecuccoli had very long careers, they should get writing

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Swedish band is more likely to write about Gustavus Adolphus than those lesser men.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
¡anti-hapsburg bias!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Another series I enjoyed was the Horatio Hornblower books, its a solid series even if it isn't as detailed as the Master and Commander books. They are a good entry point I feel, since I read the old books my dad gave me when them when I was in grade school.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 27, 2016