Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which of these pink video game heroes is best
This poll is closed.
Kirby 126 71.59%
Jigglypuff 34 19.32%
Clefairy 16 9.09%
Total: 176 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

He said “hi” once several months ago, which was nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
i think cowcaster still posts in other forums

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

what is everyones favorite brand of hot dog?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAYbdEhVD4I

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

where ever he is: semper games brother

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

oddium posted:

where ever he is: semper games brother

semper games to all former games chat posters

o7

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

excited for nintendo e3 to announce the return of bowsette

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Gaius Marius posted:

Hopefully it sucks enough that Nintendo can step in, buy out the franchise, and start making the pokemon games good again

Nintendo has one third ownership of the company that they made specifically to license Pokemon already.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

What is an arceus

That werewolf game that got popular with covid I think

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTqRx-F7ZqA

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

billy mitchell can chug my dump truck steve weibe is a king

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Stupid question: my roommate who moved out left me a PS4. I picked up a Playstation Now subscription at a discount last October, and now I'm trying to play The Last of Us on the PS4, but it's only allowing me to "stream to a PC." The FAQs I've found explain that you can't download a PS3 game (which I'm guessing TLOU is), but they don't say you can't stream them... can you also not stream them?

Edit: Nevermind. Unselected it then reselected it and it was fine. Grandpa's just telling stories again, apparently.

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 06:42 on May 29, 2021

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Watched the new Karl video about the Mitchell lawsuit and holy poo poo I didn't realize that one of the Youtubers Mitchell took to court ended up killing himself. Mitchell is a loving psycho with those texts about being glad he's dead, jesus christ

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
OH jeez I was only scanning through that video and missed that part, holy gently caress.

edit: I love the little passive "Todgers" during that segment, set himself up for it.

So regarding this strategy of legal-bullying, forcing settlements when small people cannot afford the upfront money, lawyers, time, stress, energy, etc -- what's the way to reform or fix that (in some hypothetical world trending towards justice)? It can't be the original intention of the court system... (well poo poo, knowing only a little about the history of court systems I reckon there surely were ill intentions or foundational misjustice built in) It shouldn't be the function of a court system to facilitate this, so idk what's the wait why am i asking this here or at all what am i going to do if i know

videogames are cool but legal abuse is not

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 07:40 on May 29, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah I only watched the start because I already knew he was a massive piece of poo poo, but yeah...

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

The 7th Guest posted:

excited for nintendo e3 to announce the return of bowsette

Bowsette never leaves the heart of a true gamer

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Billy Mitchell thing just continues to be insane to me. Get an official arcade cabinet and record your gameplay, problem solved. That is the entire criteria for the leaderboard that he insists to being #1 on. He used a MAME emulator to get his score, its still impressive, but it's not valid.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I blind bought the new Uchikoshi game because I am dumb and bad with money. Hoping for a wild ride.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

I said come in! posted:

The Billy Mitchell thing just continues to be insane to me. Get an official arcade cabinet and record your gameplay, problem solved. That is the entire criteria for the leaderboard that he insists to being #1 on. He used a MAME emulator to get his score, its still impressive, but it's not valid.

Todd Rogers is even worse, several people have done studies and shown from the game's code that he definitively cheated and yet he's still suing people and trying to maintain that he has the world record.

Mitchell did definitely score high on a few arcade games, so he's not without any ability, but that just makes his need to double down on Donkey Kong all the more crazy.

The problem though is Mitchell can't remotely compete with where the record is now, so he has to try to prove that he held the record back in the day or he has nothing. And honestly with how suspect he acted over the entire thing, I can't even assume that he actually pulled off that MAME run legit. He could totally have used save states or even more cheats considering how underhanded the guy is in all other aspects of life.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Todd Rogers is even worse, several people have done studies and shown from the game's code that he definitively cheated and yet he's still suing people and trying to maintain that he has the world record.

Mitchell did definitely score high on a few arcade games, so he's not without any ability, but that just makes his need to double down on Donkey Kong all the more crazy.

The problem though is Mitchell can't remotely compete with where the record is now, so he has to try to prove that he held the record back in the day or he has nothing. And honestly with how suspect he acted over the entire thing, I can't even assume that he actually pulled off that MAME run legit. He could totally have used save states or even more cheats considering how underhanded the guy is in all other aspects of life.

Twin Galaxies even tried to help Todd Rogers out, and hired a computer engineer to assist him in obtaining the time he claimed he did, they recorded it for Youtube, and Todd Rogers was unable to replicate his alleged times. Just off the wall nuts. His other crazy behavior that is notable is submitting hundreds of fake scores to Twin Galaxies.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Twin Galaxies even has a scoreboard for MAME https://www.twingalaxies.com/game/donkey-kong-us-set-1/mame Too bad for Mitchell though, he is permabanned from the site.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
At some point we must face the truth and realize there is something about Wrong with Donkey Kong arcade and Dragster... maybe all retro games? Who has the Dig Dug Hi Score, are they a Dracula or cheater too? Is the Frogger champ some kind of frog hurter. play it safe, and stick with only the current year's full-price AAA games, kids.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

what I'm interested in, is who has the boonga boonga world record

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Last night I completed the Last Guardian - one of the best gaming experiences of all time.

And have just started Demons Souls and made it past The Phalanx. Demons Souls is ace, but on PS5 oh does it look and feel phenomenal. Bluepoint are masters of their craft.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Phalanx is cool but pretty cake for anybody who has already played other soulsbornes.

Fortunately DeS has curveballs in store.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mode 7 posted:

Not really game related but I just want to happy post. I took up Kyokushin karate at the end of January. I was so badly out of shape that I couldn't even make it through my first lesson without repeatedly having to sit out because I was just completely gassed, dripping sweat from every inch of my body and barely able to stand. The next day I could barely move I was so sore.

Doing some full day training this week, and I just trained from 8am - 4pm, with a 45 minute lunch break in the middle. I'm exhausted, but I feel amazing and it's very satisfying to see how far I've come in the past few months. If you had told me at the end of January after that first lesson that I'd one day be able to train for 8 hours and still be walking at the end of it, I would have laughed in your face.

Now I'm going to get a beer and play some Danganronpa until I pass out and do it all over again tomorrow, which is going to be fantastic.

I’m catching up but yeah it sucks this got lost, congrats! Hope you and your people are super proud of you!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Phalanx is cool but pretty cake for anybody who has already played other soulsbornes.

Fortunately DeS has curveballs in store.

I thought perhaps my previous experience was helping me out! I have only died three times in the current playthrough and with the Phalanx I was just walking around lobbing firebombs!

I am excited to see what on earth I shall be getting into :D Feels good playing another From game!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Do you know about the differences in mechanics in DeS like armor weight? There's a couple things that can really trip you up in unfair ways that fortunately Dark Souls made much better.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

demons souls being the defacto ps5 killer app is exactly enough reason to never consider getting a ps5

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Zaphod42 posted:

Do you know about the differences in mechanics in DeS like armor weight? There's a couple things that can really trip you up in unfair ways that fortunately Dark Souls made much better.

I do! Lovely stream audience explained things to me and I am slowly getting a handle of the slight differences.

Big shout out to Stockpile Thomas. :hai:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ostentatious posted:

demons souls being the defacto ps5 killer app is exactly enough reason to never consider getting a ps5

Miles Morales is real real good.
(Albeit short (Spider-man Remastered makes up for it))

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

VideoGames posted:

I do! Lovely stream audience explained things to me and I am slowly getting a handle of the slight differences.

Big shout out to Stockpile Thomas. :hai:

Good! Definitely keep your weight low because if you pick up any items but can't carry them, the drops turn into temporary items which get deleted. Its so mean, since some items are an entire set of armor and there's no way to tell until you pick it up :aaa:

That and the change to how crystal lizards work is so mean, very glad that FROM decided to be nicer for the rest of the series. (And the Carp in Sekiro are even more forgiving, they'll respawn after a few seconds!)

Its funny, Dark Souls 1 has the Bottomless Box as a clear vestigial hang-over of Stockpile Thomas, but it doesn't really serve any purpose in DS1 with the change to no carry weight. But its still there. (I guess it lets you organize)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

homeless snail posted:

what I'm interested in, is who has the boonga boonga world record

:ocelot::cool: me

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Watched the new Karl video about the Mitchell lawsuit and holy poo poo I didn't realize that one of the Youtubers Mitchell took to court ended up killing himself. Mitchell is a loving psycho with those texts about being glad he's dead, jesus christ

this isn't to say "I'm glad he's dead" but as a member of the community he made a bunch of shitstirring videos about with completely false or misrepresented info I don't miss dealing with the discourse fallout from each one.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

When the King of Kong came out I thought they were just kind of playing up Billy Mitchell's character as documentaries tend to do but it turns out no, the man really is a narcissistic megalomaniac about his high score in loving Donkey Kong.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it's easy to judge him but most of us really have no idea what it's like to have the high score in donkey kong

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Dragon Quest Builders 2 is a great game for the exact amount of brainworms Im willing to invest in something even if an early quest is completely bugged but beatable in a weird catch 22

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
video games

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Thank you everyone for your very kind words. :unsmith:

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

it's easy to judge him but most of us really have no idea what it's like to have the high score in donkey kong

Idk much about Billy Mitchell but getting a super high score in DK seems about as strong of a flex as Summoning Salt’s Punch-Out records and he manages to barely ever mention them while making documentaries about the history of Punch-Out speedrunning records. So it seems possible not to be a tool about being better at games than 95% of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Has anyone else been revisting older stuff to re-examine it

I consider GTA Vice City to be an important game to me because driving around the neon hellscape to New Wave was just such a vibe that 12 year old millennial me had never experienced before. Just a grade-a vibe, especially since 80s nostalgia hadn't flooded everything yet. I booted up the Steam version and, after some necessary mods to make it run okay on modern hardware, I have to say I had a lot more fun with it than I was expecting! Yeah it's clunky as hell (it was clunky in 2002!) and some weird frame-related bugs kept me from finishing it, but for all their faults Rockstar is extremely good at giving their open worlds a sense of place and tone, even with the rudimentary graphics of their PS2 era stuff.

Then I moved on to San Andreas which I remember liking enough at the time, but not as much as Vice City. I'm pretty amazed at what a quantum leap forward it was. There's so much details in each of the cities that just wasn't there in Vice City, which is made all the more impressive considering how much bigger the world is. This also affects the moment-to-moment gameplay itself because every block is filled with alleyways and shortcuts and all sorts of other things that make chases feel more tense and dynamic. Also the mission variety is a lot more interesting; I like when you get to the desert hangar and they basically make you play pilotwings for 10 minutes, including a fun little chime when you pass or fail a mission. I still think I like Vice City more just because it nails the aesthetic down so well, but I'm shook at how much better of a game SA is.

In many ways, I feel like Rockstar never really progressed past San Andreas as a studio. As recent as Red Dead 2, were still extremely out here going to points on a minimap and doing a shooting gallery over and over with maybe a chase or two to spice things up. While this was really fresh in 2004, it's kinda a bummer that they keep going back to this well when they do so many other things on an impressive level.

ANYWAY, that was my vent on one of the world's biggest game franchises. I'll prolly move on to GTA 4 after, which I remember loving but seems very much the black sheep of the series? We'll see.