Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2015/06/19/mrs_clinton_blames_donald_trump_and_talk_radio_for_charleston_murders
This 'find any possible way to blame liberals for clearly right-wing ideologies' is really something to watch unfold in realtime :stare:

I remember when they convinced themselves the Vegas shooters weren't theirs either. Despite the couple screaming revolution and dropping gadsen flags on dead bodies.

For a one man show of it, see the time when Glenn Beck was the only person on earth talking about how the TIDES Foundation was some infowars style secret org taking over everything, some guy gets pulled over with a car full of guns who says he was on the TIDES Foundation, then gives a jailhouse interview about what a cool informative guy Glenn Beck is, and Glenn Beck still found some way to say it wasn't his fault.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

TheScott2K posted:

The kid's manifesto is worth a read. It's basically proof that this isn't some mentally deranged animal lashing out - what he did is the result of racial beliefs that have astounding levels of overlap with your average American Conservative.

Didn't see it posted, so here it is: http://lastrhodesian.com/data/documents/rtf88.txt

He literally cites the Council of Conservative Citizens as a catalyst for becoming the way he is in the first paragraph. If they're allowed to get away with handwaving this dude as something other than a product of what they've been selling I literally have no idea what it would take to convince the average person just exactly what the RWM is trying to push.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

quote:

Congressional Black Caucasians
:psyduck:
I don't even know what he's trying to accomplish with that, I would think it was a Rachel Dolezal joke but I think I've seen it in transcripts before that. Even for Rush that's stupid.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

James Garfield posted:

:psyduck:
I don't even know what he's trying to accomplish with that, I would think it was a Rachel Dolezal joke but I think I've seen it in transcripts before that. Even for Rush that's stupid.

Black Democrats are Uncle Toms.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Didn't see it posted, so here it is: http://lastrhodesian.com/data/documents/rtf88.txt

He literally cites the Council of Conservative Citizens as a catalyst for becoming the way he is in the first paragraph. If they're allowed to get away with handwaving this dude as something other than a product of what they've been selling I literally have no idea what it would take to convince the average person just exactly what the RWM is trying to push.
I'm waiting for the eventual pivot where the right will blame Google for radicalizing him based on his search results.
Seriously though, I just popped over to Stormfront to check out their awful opinions on this whole matter and the 'racial awareness' language is plastered all over their forums. It's pretty open and shut that this dude was a White Supremacist, and yet they are in full denial mode coaxing up imagery of an elaborate conspiracy to tarnish their name when in fact he actually acted on all the inflammatory rhetoric they spew every second of their existence.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
I flipped to Fox amid all the coverage of the manifesto and indeed they were doing a story on how we need to focus more on youths becoming radicalized online by extremist websites, and that ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/06/03/mothers-call-on-children-whove-joined-isis-to-come-home/

The interview wasn't live and when I looked it up I found the story from June 3. I would love to hear the conversation that led to them running that interview at this particular time.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Von Sloneker posted:

I flipped to Fox amid all the coverage of the manifesto and indeed they were doing a story on how we need to focus more on youths becoming radicalized online by extremist websites, and that ignoring the problem won't make it go away.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2015/06/03/mothers-call-on-children-whove-joined-isis-to-come-home/

The interview wasn't live and when I looked it up I found the story from June 3. I would love to hear the conversation that led to them running that interview at this particular time.

Which wouldn't be a terrible idea if Fox & their ilk would admit that there's a lot of radicalization & extremist lit in this country that centers around white power/minority suppression.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Which wouldn't be a terrible idea if Fox & their ilk would admit that there's a lot of radicalization & extremist lit in this country that centers around white power/minority suppression.

Oh, they readily admit all that. They just say it's the Democrats doing it. The right wing in this country projects so hard I could probably hang the average Republican from a classroom ceiling and use them to play a powerpoint presentation.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

Oh, they readily admit all that. They just say it's the Democrats doing it. The right wing in this country projects so hard I could probably hang the average Republican from a classroom ceiling and use them to play a powerpoint presentation.

I wonder how much of this really sways independents who are just otherwise Republicans in their voting habits.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

kik2dagroin posted:

I'm waiting for the eventual pivot where the right will blame Google for radicalizing him based on his search results.
Seriously though, I just popped over to Stormfront to check out their awful opinions on this whole matter and the 'racial awareness' language is plastered all over their forums. It's pretty open and shut that this dude was a White Supremacist, and yet they are in full denial mode coaxing up imagery of an elaborate conspiracy to tarnish their name when in fact he actually acted on all the inflammatory rhetoric they spew every second of their existence.

Tell me they also did this when Breivik, one of their posters, shot up the Labour youth camp four years ago.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

kik2dagroin posted:

A few years ago Freep and probably others had a half-rear end campaign to use bing instead of google because there was a doodle or something that was pro-LGBT and this clearly means their search results are biased. If he used google that's just more proof he was a liberal.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

Reading his manifesto it struck me that the things he said about Hispanics were actually tame compared to Trump's recent remarks.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Takoluka posted:

So according to CNN, Roof literally told investigators he wanted to start a race war. Like, verbatim. I want to see them spin THAT.

Has anyone said

quote:

Racism is a liberal collectivist ideology that passes judgement on people based on a group they belong to. But conservatives are individualists and thus incapable of being racist.

Furthermore,
yet?

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

A small request of some sort?

Is there anyway we can bump the History thread back up? I have a list of books I just discovered called the "Politcally Incorrect Guide to..." and I'd love to see them ripped to shreds by goons that actually understand History.

One pretty much seriously rips the Union's role in the civil war while lamenting the Confederacy no longer exists. I kid you not.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

beatlegs posted:

Reading his manifesto it struck me that the things he said about Hispanics were actually tame compared to Trump's recent remarks.

He probably didn't interact with them much, since he's in South Carolina. Similarly, his lack of interaction with Asian Americans is why you don't see the "Chinese are the new Jews" rhetoric you see elsewhere.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I have kept myself away from here for almost 3 weeks but this recent terrorism has me coming back. I am actually somewhat surprised by Cons now saying what everyone else is saying and calling for the CSA flag to be taken down.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

FuzzySkinner posted:

A small request of some sort?

Is there anyway we can bump the History thread back up? I have a list of books I just discovered called the "Politcally Incorrect Guide to..." and I'd love to see them ripped to shreds by goons that actually understand History.

One pretty much seriously rips the Union's role in the civil war while lamenting the Confederacy no longer exists. I kid you not.

There was a great thread in LF on these. They're absolutely insane

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Necc0 posted:

There was a great thread in LF on these. They're absolutely insane

oh please link.

Some of the stupidity I heard on it was pretty incredible. Including claims that Gahndi was some sort of weird Libertarian among other things.

SpudCat
Mar 12, 2012

Crowsbeak posted:

I have kept myself away from here for almost 3 weeks but this recent terrorism has me coming back. I am actually somewhat surprised by Cons now saying what everyone else is saying and calling for the CSA flag to be taken down.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised too. My shriveled cynical heart is wondering if the "Take Down The Flag" thing is being used as a smokescreen, or a way people can act like they're on the side of the angels by not actually doing anything substantial. It's one thing to call for the confederate flag to be taken down, it's another to actually address the vile culture that Roof immersed himself in or do a bit of self-reflection on how conservative rhetoric plays right into this mindset.

But on the other hand I do want the drat flag to be taken down.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A few years ago, someone started a GBS photoshop thread for Politically Incorrect Guides. Someone made a really good Politically Incorrect Guide to Superman written by Lex Luthor.

The rest of the thread was just people expressing incredulity at real books of the series.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

TheScott2K posted:

The kid's manifesto is worth a read. It's basically proof that this isn't some mentally deranged animal lashing out - what he did is the result of racial beliefs that have astounding levels of overlap with your average American Conservative.

Yes, just your everyday average manifesto writing mass murderer. Nothing psychotic about that.

His rambling, Zionist conspiracy, genocidal manifesto actually proves he's sane!

bpower
Feb 19, 2011

Smoothrich posted:

Yes, just your everyday average manifesto writing mass murderer. Nothing psychotic about that.

His rambling, Zionist conspiracy, genocidal manifesto actually proves he's sane!

I think the point is his views are not the unique delusions of a "madman". They're completely orthodox white supremacist propaganda.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Smoothrich posted:

Your beliefs can be insane but you don't have to be insane to believe them.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Smoothrich posted:

Don't act dumb.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

quote:

Absolutely. We've had enough mass murders in this country to piece together that mass murderers tend to also write manifestos before going and shooting people.

Please do not waste time replying to Smoothrich.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
From a legal standpoint, he never had any chance of an insanity plea being successful. He's probably just planning to use the trial as a soapbox, assuming he still has the capacity to plan anything

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Lady Naga posted:

Don't act dumb.

I dunno. He is making the point that lots of people are completely discounting the fact that he very clearly is mentally ill just because it was racially motivated. You don't go on a rampage if you're mentally stable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

site posted:

I dunno. He is making the point that lots of people are completely discounting the fact that he very clearly is mentally ill just because it was racially motivated. You don't go on a rampage if you're mentally stable.

And then once he's labeled as mentally ill he will be easier to sweep under the rug as no one has to talk about gun control because that one guy was just insane and not racist. 'He was crazy and racist! I'm just 'racist' because I know that negros are inferior and I'm not afraid to tell people THE TRUTH.'

So, if he gets a 'mentally insane' label slapped on him we can dust our hands and forget about him and thankfully skirt by having to talk about the things that influenced him to think that way, how he got ahold of the arms to kill all those people so easily, and the possibility that perhaps racism isn't over.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

RareAcumen posted:

Absolutely. We've had enough mass murders in this country to piece together that mass murderers tend to also write manifestos before going and shooting people.

Please do not waste time replying to Smoothrich.

Because they have psychotic breaks and delusional thinking that compels them to act to "fight back" against whatever conspiracy they believe, living in paranoia and fear real enough to think that killing innocent strangers is doing something good for the world.

Manifestos are the works of psychotic sociopaths trying to normalize antisocial behaviors, like blowing up an abortion clinic, a federal government building, police officers, black people, Jews, they're all intermixable objects of irrational fixation. All manifestos I've read all read exactly the same. "These certain people are bad, one day I "woke up" (had a psychotic break), now I'm gonna kill them. You'll thank me later!"

This has nothing to do with politics, but with an outstanding ignorance in our society of basic human psychology, and a lack of evaluations and diagnosis of extremely dangerous personality disorders.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

site posted:

his white supremacist beliefs though are very common. by saying this dude is just crazy we're handwaving away the millions of white americans who are also racial supremacists, unless we're also willing to say that millions of white americans are also crazy as hell

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Sanity is subjective.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
He was mentally ill in the sense that he struggled with depression and a feeling of helplessness in the modern world where the news media screams at you 24/7 that everything is falling apart and will kill you, where college degrees barely matter and universities demand predatory student loans and if you're not born to privilege you're lucky to get a job that pays much more than minimum wage without several years of experience and a degree or two. These are problems everyone who's come of age in the past ten years or so has been dealing with, and it's very, very tempting to fall into the rabbit hole of a belief system that gives you something tangible you can blame for the state of modern American life for people your age in your circumstances. Dylann Roof simply went further than most and acted on the belief system he fell into. He's not the first - that MRA guy from a few months ago was in more or less the same situation, just blaming women instead of black people.

He won't be the last.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

site posted:

No, he was not mentally ill.

Hate is not a mental illness.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Popular Thug Drink posted:

his white supremacist beliefs though are very common. by saying this dude is just crazy we're handwaving away the millions of white americans who are also racial supremacists, unless we're also willing to say that millions of white americans are also crazy as hell

If they were all actively lynching black people or terrorizing voting locations like the KKK did as a fully fledged insurgency against the federal government and black people back in the day, that would be bad.

Most just shitpost in hateful echo chambers about it, honestly probably for "fun" much like people do here about conservatives.

If a D&D poster from here went out and started massacring Tea Party activists somewhere, would you feel responsible?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
The point is there's people out there who want to talk about mental illness because they want to imagine he was walkong down the street, flipped a switch and killed 9 people in some "episode", which requires no mention of the vast network of white supremacist culture he was seeped in, or an examination of what it means that he dropped the very recognizable "take our country back" language in the middle of a murder spree.

Of course he isn't the picture of mental health. But he was cognizant enough to plan and execute his murders, he used his brain and reasoning to suss out why black people needed killing. And RWM appears to have helped, or at least carved out a space for this sort of bullshit to be consumed without it being a red flag.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Smoothrich posted:

If they were all actively lynching black people or terrorizing voting locations like the KKK did as a fully fledged insurgency against the federal government and black people back in the day, that would be bad.

Most just shitpost in hateful echo chambers about it, honestly probably for "fun" much like people do here about conservatives.

If a D&D poster from here went out and started massacring Tea Party activists somewhere, would you feel responsible?

if i were advocating murdering tea party activists, yes

just because most white supremacists are cowards doesn't mean that the one guy willing to commit murder is crazier than normal. he's just more motivated

he was a young man with nothing going on in his life and he was immersing himself in hatred, which is easily accessible. you don't have to be psychotic to be a murdering terrorist, especially when you're biologically still an adolescent and don't quite grasp the severity of what you're doing

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

site posted:

Then say "Hey let's not forget that he was mentally unstable and how racist scumbags prey on vulnerable people so they can push their awful agenda." Instead of being a snarky fucker about someone else's completely valid point.,

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Smoothrich posted:

I would hope you'd be able to tell the difference between a hate group and disagreeing with a political movement.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

RareAcumen posted:

And then once he's labeled as mentally ill he will be easier to sweep under the rug as no one has to talk about gun control because that one guy was just insane and not racist. 'He was crazy and racist! I'm just 'racist' because I know that negros are inferior and I'm not afraid to tell people THE TRUTH.'

So, if he gets a 'mentally insane' label slapped on him we can dust our hands and forget about him and thankfully skirt by having to talk about the things that influenced him to think that way, how he got ahold of the arms to kill all those people so easily, and the possibility that perhaps racism isn't over.

He should've been "labeled mentally ill" BEFORE he got a gun, or worked himself up into enough of a paranoid delusional frenzy to actually go out and killing people. Therapy and medication probably would've helped him realize "wait.. maybe massacring people in a church.. is wrong?"

I've never, ever seen Fox News or any Right Wing Media or Republican politicians actually tell people to go out and murder innocent people either.

Reddit or SA on the otherhand..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Classtoise posted:

I would hope you'd be able to tell the difference between a hate group and disagreeing with a political movement.

smoothrich is really, really stupid, so don't count on it