Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I started playing Dragon's Dogma and got through the first hour or two. It felt super generic. People said I needed to get to the main city for it to get cool but whoops Monster Hunter came out
Yeah all the good stuff is at the end which is a hosed up way to make a game, and yeah, lots of it is redundant now that MHW is out. MHW doesn't have reapers that can appear out of thin air and building sized beholders to fight though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I started playing Dragon's Dogma and got through the first hour or two. It felt super generic. People said I needed to get to the main city for it to get cool but whoops Monster Hunter came out

idk about the main city bit because that's where the story slows to a crawl and gets way more generic to me. the hydra is the highlight of the game until the dragon comes back, but when it does things get amazing. most of the game you have to coast on the really fun mechanics because the plot/quests don't really hold up their end of the deal, but the late game stuff is legit awesome and I wish the whole game had been like that

you gotta understand that dragon's dogma is a flawed game. I think a lot of the hype around it is at least in part because you can see what the game could have been and what a real sequel might be and it is glorious

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

katkillad2 posted:

Surprised by the lack of hype for Iconoclasts, took a break from Monhun and beat it at around 11 hours. Solid metrovania style game, the writing was kind of odd but there are a ton of boss fights and they were all different and pretty great.

Well, Celeste came out a day later and overshadowed it...and I like Iconoclasts but Celeste is straight up one of the best platformers ever made, not to mention one of the best 2D games period.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah all the good stuff is at the end which is a hosed up way to make a game, and yeah, lots of it is redundant now that MHW is out. MHW doesn't have reapers that can appear out of thin air and building sized beholders to fight though.

I dunno, MHW gets pretty loving epic, when Rathian, Rathalos, and Bezelguese are locked in a 3-way turf war and you're just diving out of the way to not get crushed underfoot.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A monster hunter based on D&D monsters would be siiiiiiick.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Holy balls monster hunter can be frustrating

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

A monster hunter based on D&D monsters would be siiiiiiick.

That's kinda the Witcher, isn't it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Kinda, but MH still has a gameplay flow different than either of those. The monsters fight with each other, they fall back to locations more advantageous to them, and so on.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, MHW gets pretty loving epic, when Rathian, Rathalos, and Bezelguese are locked in a 3-way turf war and you're just diving out of the way to not get crushed underfoot.

Seeing something like Rathalos doing 1500 damage to Anjanath in one hit while I'm plinking away for dozens of damage at best has me impressed. But then I remember that when Rathalos does the same thing to me, at most it makes me "faint."

Also it does nothing to the cat

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd love monster hunter with actual exploration and stuff going on in between fights.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Seeing something like Rathalos doing 1500 damage to Anjanath in one hit while I'm plinking away for dozens of damage at best has me impressed. But then I remember that when Rathalos does the same thing to me, at most it makes me "faint."

Also it does nothing to the cat

the cat owns

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

I'd love monster hunter with actual exploration and stuff going on in between fights.
That's Dragon's Dogma

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I go out on expeditions between fights to find new camps and material sources and stuff, or just to better understand the environment so I’m not surprised when a monster goes somewhere I don’t understand well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

So I watched a video of Kingdom Come and it looks fairly cool! How does it run on a PSPOOR?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

So I watched a video of Kingdom Come and it looks fairly cool! How does it run on a PSPOOR?

runs and looks fine on mine plus the combat works alot better with controller. id wait for more patches though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Mh only whets the appetite for the splendid feast of dd.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

According to Sony I spent 231 hours playing Dragon's Dogma on PS4 last year.

I just started playing Kingdom Come and I get the feeling I'm going to love it. I find something charming about these weird Euro RPGs with all their quirks and eccentricities, although the tutorials are kind of lacking so far. It reminds me of those old RPGs where you just jumped in head first and have to make heads-and-tails of all the menus. The combat is something else though, feels real interesting.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Flying into FREEE

:rip:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Flying into FREEE

:rip:

finding out that was an actual song from the 90's hosed me up

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

B'z

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

homeless snail posted:

That's Dragon's Dogma

And dragons dogma owns.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Yakuza 0: First of all, holy loving poo poo, breaking out of the Tojo Clan HQ was loving breathtaking, that was what, a hundred thugs that they took out?

Second, it seems the plot is now going all out as Tachibana revealed that the owner of the Empty Lot is in Sotenbori and is someone that is being pursued heavily, which can only mean it's Makoto Makimura and why everyone is hunting her. He also is the man with the Bat tattoo so that's something that's not going to sit well with Majima and Fei. poo poo is going to go down and it's going to get really ugly.

But first I gotta buy some properties!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Samuringa posted:

Yakuza 0: First of all, holy loving poo poo, breaking out of the Tojo Clan HQ was loving breathtaking, that was what, a hundred thugs that they took out?

Second, it seems the plot is now going all out as Tachibana revealed that the owner of the Empty Lot is in Sotenbori and is someone that is being pursued heavily, which can only mean it's Makoto Makimura and why everyone is hunting her. He also is the man with the Bat tattoo so that's something that's not going to sit well with Majima and Fei. poo poo is going to go down and it's going to get really ugly.

But first I gotta buy some properties!

The lid blows off after ch 10/11 where you are and ramps up for like another 15 hours

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnKaHFVwOYk

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Well, Celeste came out a day later and overshadowed it...and I like Iconoclasts but Celeste is straight up one of the best platformers ever made, not to mention one of the best 2D games period.

I tried Celeste, literally couldn't get past the first level. How am I supposed to move mechanical platforms that don't move unless you are on top of them... when they have spikes on top of them?

Edit: I can easily look my question up. These are two completely different genres though. I'm usually not into the Meatboy style games and getting stuck so early has me in danger of bouncing off pretty easily..

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

katkillad2 posted:

I tried Celeste, literally couldn't get past the first level. How am I supposed to move mechanical platforms that don't move unless you are on top of them... when they have spikes on top of them?

Cling to the side?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
:cripes:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

katkillad2 posted:

Edit: I can easily look my question up. These are two completely different genres though. I'm usually not into the Meatboy style games and getting stuck so early has me in danger of bouncing off pretty easily..

Huh???

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I finished Blood Knights in one sitting and enjoyed it. I just started Alone In The Dark: Inferno and I am really digging it. Someone send help.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

lol Alone in the Dark is one of the three 360 games I have 1000 gamerscore for.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I am honestly kind of amazed that the question of whether it's ethical to be mining the loving relics never comes up in Knack. like the Doctor just goes on about how "oh we mine the earth and take the relics even though there are things that get angry when we do" and Lucas never gets mad at him for that--just that he wants to get his hands on the huge ones behind the door

the true theme of Knack is society's complicity in destroying the environment for short term gain

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

morallyobjected posted:

I am honestly kind of amazed that the question of whether it's ethical to be mining the loving relics never comes up in Knack. like the Doctor just goes on about how "oh we mine the earth and take the relics even though there are things that get angry when we do" and Lucas never gets mad at him for that--just that he wants to get his hands on the huge ones behind the door

is this your first video game

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Sakurazuka posted:

lol Alone in the Dark is one of the three 360 games I have 1000 gamerscore for.

Apparently Inferno is much better. Still a 7/10 game apparently. Those are my lifeblood however.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry dude, and I know you'll disagree, but MHW is basically the perfect game. I'm not sure if I've ever encountered a game with THIS MUCH content that's THIS polished before. I've had more cool moments in 3 weeks of MHW than I'd get in 6 months from other games.

:drat:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its ok. Good even.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

Its ok. Good even.

Gooder than ur mom.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
What's the DLC/content update plan for MHW anyway? Is there one?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry dude, and I know you'll disagree, but MHW is basically the perfect game. I'm not sure if I've ever encountered a game with THIS MUCH content that's THIS polished before. I've had more cool moments in 3 weeks of MHW than I'd get in 6 months from other games.

I'll happily acknowledge that it's good for what it is and I'm glad people like it, but it's lacking about 70% of what I like in a video game. I really like the other 30%, but after the novelty of killing a monster for the first time I just zone out and resent that the game just wants me to run through the same area and kill the same thing again. It's fine but I just want stuff to do in the in between that is more engaging. it gives me serious Destiny/Diablo flashbacks. Wish I could have stuck with it but it wasn't clicking at all.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

make a dragon's dogma sequel with an open world and quest system in the style of the witcher 3 imo

Samurai Sanders posted:

What's the DLC/content update plan for MHW anyway? Is there one?

they're adding free monsters to hunt. outside of that idk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

I'll happily acknowledge that it's good for what it is and I'm glad people like it, but it's lacking about 70% of what I like in a video game. I really like the other 30%, but after the novelty of killing a monster for the first time I just zone out and resent that the game just wants me to run through the same area and kill the same thing again. It's fine but I just want stuff to do in the in between that is more engaging. it gives me serious Destiny/Diablo flashbacks. Wish I could have stuck with it but it wasn't clicking at all.
As far as I know the main missions of the game never ask you to kill the same thing twice. Which is a massive improvement from its predecessors.