Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

MJP posted:

The boss made the deck, I just drew arrows from his text boxes to icons below them

Furthering the above, he's the one who put the things where they are.

Bonus round, he just IMed me to tell me he was going to cc me on an email to our VP that I was not to respond to, no matter what.

Is this normal corporate office politics or is my boss practicing for his KGB side gig?

Well some executives consider themselves to be loving royalty that the serfs must not meet eyes with or they will be drawn and quartered. But since it's your boss giving you instructions about the VP here, what's actually happening is that your boss is terrified that you'll contradict, undermine, or otherwise make him look bad in front of the VP. This is one of the peak fears of any narcissist or ladder-climber.

So, normal? Yeah, but only insofar as it's normal to have narcissists in middle management. Managers who are actually worth the air on this planet don't behave this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Che Delilas posted:

Well some executives consider themselves to be loving royalty that the serfs must not meet eyes with or they will be drawn and quartered. But since it's your boss giving you instructions about the VP here, what's actually happening is that your boss is terrified that you'll contradict, undermine, or otherwise make him look bad in front of the VP. This is one of the peak fears of any narcissist or ladder-climber.

So, normal? Yeah, but only insofar as it's normal to have narcissists in middle management. Managers who are actually worth the air on this planet don't behave this way.

Confirming what I figured. This guy has sealed the coffin on me even thinking I'd like to be any kind of team leader or manager one day. My best managers inspired the poo poo out of me and backed me up, this guy inspires me to remember that the paychecks do at least arrive on time and clear the bank.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Some chickenshit decided to complain that I don't wear my shoes at my desk, I'm 90% certain who it is, and instead of talking to me directly, went to my boss about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MJP posted:

Bonus round, he just IMed me to tell me he was going to cc me on an email to our VP that I was not to respond to, no matter what.

Is this normal corporate office politics or is my boss practicing for his KGB side gig?

Nahh, I do this.

"Hey man, this guy is probably going to get super pissed off but it affects you so I want you to be on it. Just sit there quietly so we're not both on his shitlist. Even if you're right he won't care, so don't step up."

I don't want someone making a VP enemy just pointlessly defending me or a decision. Let managers deal with the political poo poo.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Corporate Megathread:

Iron Crowned posted:

Some chickenshit decided to complain that I don't wear my shoes at my desk

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Lockback posted:

Nahh, I do this.

"Hey man, this guy is probably going to get super pissed off but it affects you so I want you to be on it. Just sit there quietly so we're not both on his shitlist. Even if you're right he won't care, so don't step up."

I don't want someone making a VP enemy just pointlessly defending me or a decision. Let managers deal with the political poo poo.

Yeah I'd do this. I would also explain what I'm doing, which seems to be lacking here. This manager doesn't seem very good at the people management portion of their job.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MJP posted:

Confirming what I figured. This guy has sealed the coffin on me even thinking I'd like to be any kind of team leader or manager one day. My best managers inspired the poo poo out of me and backed me up, this guy inspires me to remember that the paychecks do at least arrive on time and clear the bank.

you know you can be a not lovely manager right

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Only if you have the support of the managers above you. You can try to be as great a manager as you like, and if poo poo sandwiches keep getting delegated down to you, you're either going to break and become a lovely manager, or quit and go somewhere else.

Aspiring Manager: "I will work my team reasonable hours, help them be efficient, and be a good growth mentor to them!"
AM's Boss: "You need to lay off two of your team and redistribute the work to all the others. Also, raise and promotion freezes are in place for the next three years. Make sure you down-rate everyone so that we don't have to explain the freeze."

Aspiring Manager should absolutely throw a fit on his team's behalf right there in that meeting, but if upper management doesn't give a poo poo, you're stuck between Unemployment and rear end in a top hat.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
Being a manager: it's kind of like being a cop

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

I was issued a set of lockout/tagout locks today, i feel so uncorporate. Its a whole
Nother problem that this bothers me.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Iron Crowned posted:

Some chickenshit decided to complain that I don't wear my shoes at my desk, I'm 90% certain who it is, and instead of talking to me directly, went to my boss about it.
Was the complaint that you don't wear shoes, or that it smells like a gym within 30ft of that desk?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tnuctip posted:

I was issued a set of lockout/tagout locks today, i feel so uncorporate. Its a whole
Nother problem that this bothers me.

And yet the whole time you could lockout critical files in SharePoint.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

Update: the 9 slack channels for one project are now 10, with the new one being for "conversations that don't fit in any of the other channels or need to go to multiple stakeholders"

It's got the most posts by far

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Was the complaint that you don't wear shoes, or that it smells like a gym within 30ft of that desk?

All I know is that I received an email from my manager telling me that I need to wear shoes around the office, with an attached copy of the dress code (which does not explicitly say that shoes are required, only a list of shoes that are and are not appropriate).

I have my suspect because they shouted "where are your shoes" at me a week ago. This individual has an office that she holes up in, and I never would known that she was there if she hadn't come by to shout about my lack of shoes.

I've been fine for 3 1/2 years not wearing shoes at my desk, then they moved my department to a different area

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

All I know is that I received an email from my manager telling me that I need to wear shoes around the office, with an attached copy of the dress code (which does not explicitly say that shoes are required, only a list of shoes that are and are not appropriate).

I have my suspect because they shouted "where are your shoes" at me a week ago. This individual has an office that she holes up in, and I never would known that she was there if she hadn't come by to shout about my lack of shoes.

I've been fine for 3 1/2 years not wearing shoes at my desk, then they moved my department to a different area

let me guess, you also think taking shoes off on a plane is alright?

or am I just broken by Japanese office spaces to assume you're very much in public and not in a more secluded/isolated office.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

harperdc posted:

or am I just broken by Japanese office spaces to assume you're very much in public and not in a more secluded/isolated office.

I mean, I'm never getting on a plane again, but I almost always take my shoes off on flights that are more than an hour.

I work in the office of a fabrication shop, so I'm required to wear steel toed boots when I go out to the shop. Those bitches are heavy and the A/C in the office sucks, so yeah, I like not wearing my boots when I'm stuck at the desk for 9 hours a day.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Maybe keep a second pair at your desk?

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

I am curious: can you share this list?

Off the top of my head, the only shoe types I would consider unacceptable are Crocs, stilettoes, open-toed and clown.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Moo the cow posted:

I am curious: can you share this list?

Off the top of my head, the only shoe types I would consider unacceptable are Crocs, stilettoes, open-toed and clown.

"Flip-flops, slippers, and non-dressy sandals"

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I’m guessing this is a general office that people come in and out of, rather than your personal enclosed office?

People don’t want to smell your sweaty feet, dude. That’s as bad as microwaving fish.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sundae posted:

Only if you have the support of the managers above you. You can try to be as great a manager as you like, and if poo poo sandwiches keep getting delegated down to you, you're either going to break and become a lovely manager, or quit and go somewhere else.

Aspiring Manager: "I will work my team reasonable hours, help them be efficient, and be a good growth mentor to them!"
AM's Boss: "You need to lay off two of your team and redistribute the work to all the others. Also, raise and promotion freezes are in place for the next three years. Make sure you down-rate everyone so that we don't have to explain the freeze."

Aspiring Manager should absolutely throw a fit on his team's behalf right there in that meeting, but if upper management doesn't give a poo poo, you're stuck between Unemployment and rear end in a top hat.

I have an Aspiring Manager in this situation and she handles it by fighting the fights that she can, and being very transparent with us when things are out of her hands. She's a good person and we all have a lot of respect for her and don't blame her for any of the bad stuff that happens but I get the sense that she does blame herself and that the job is perhaps literally killing her so yeah that's not a great position to be in.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Iron Crowned posted:

I mean, I'm never getting on a plane again, but I almost always take my shoes off on flights that are more than an hour.

gently caress you

Sundae posted:

yeah then you go find a new job. nothing's forcing you to be a bad manager.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I've had not lovely managers, but the risk of turning unintentionally lovely or being unaware of my own shittiness - plus the near guarantee of too many goddamn meetings and Powerpoints - is enough to dissuade me unless I end up someplace that I really love for more than 3ish years. I'm a bit gun-shy about turning into someone that's responsible for other people's work and I worry I'd turn into a micromanager in addition to being lovely.

Jordan7hm posted:

This manager doesn't seem very good at the people management portion of their job.

Guy's got a reputation of being very difficult to work for and it's absolutely true. When I talked to another manager on another team a few weeks ago about me transferring, his first response was "so %currentmanager% finally got to you, huh? What'd he do this time?"

%potentialnewmanager% went on to describe the guy who %currentmanager% used to work for, and boy oh boy it was a textbook example of learned behavior. He also listed off all the times when %currentmanager% refused to share work with other departments and bombed out or slowed things down, amongst all kinds of dumb corporate warrior stuff. Combined with the fact that the VP likes to open up with both barrels for no real reason, it's looking like it's just a lovely culture in this part of IT.

I'm floating my resume but actively going on the market in October if the COVID-19 transfer/hiring freeze isn't lifted. I've only been here 8 months so far, and was only at my last job for a little over a year. I'm fortunate in that I don't have to constantly interact with %currentmanager% and knowing that he's universally loathed by everyone is actually pretty good at fueling my coping skills.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Got a company wide email regarding professional and personal use of social media and I’m dying to know what precipitated that.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

priznat posted:

Got a company wide email regarding professional and personal use of social media and I’m dying to know what precipitated that.

My guess is the recent highly publicized firings of employees after doing/posting racist stuff in the middle of weeks of protests aimed at changing the culture of many racist organizations (i.e. most police departments).

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

CarForumPoster posted:

My guess is the recent highly publicized firings of employees after doing/posting racist stuff in the middle of weeks of protests aimed at changing the culture of many racist organizations (i.e. most police departments).

Yeah it is most likely this, so not as interesting. People saying/doing dumb racist poo poo on social media and getting fired after is currently the top spectator sport (sorry esports)

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

priznat posted:

Yeah it is most likely this, so not as interesting. People saying/doing dumb racist poo poo on social media and getting fired after is currently the top spectator sport (sorry esports)

We had an all-hands yesterday and our CEO called out someone who got fired for specifically that, and then reiterated that our volunteer time off allowance could be used "to protest the racism inherent in policing in any way you find just".

Sometimes it's nice having a firebrand Irish lady as a big boss. :v:

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting
It is really depressing working in a small conservative office in a small conservative town, especially nowadays.

I am constantly arguing with people around here who make ignorant comments about the issues that are going on today. And I’m the only one who speaks up so it just sucks.

Too old to get a different job, too young to retire and move far away from other people.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Kyrosiris posted:

We had an all-hands yesterday and our CEO called out someone who got fired for specifically that, and then reiterated that our volunteer time off allowance could be used "to protest the racism inherent in policing in any way you find just".

Sometimes it's nice having a firebrand Irish lady as a big boss. :v:

This is p drat good.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Iron Crowned posted:

I work in the office of a fabrication shop, so I'm required to wear steel toed boots when I go out to the shop. Those bitches are heavy and the A/C in the office sucks, so yeah, I like not wearing my boots when I'm stuck at the desk for 9 hours a day.

"No shirt, no shoes, no service" is not an unreasonable office dress code, especially in an office that's attached to a shop, where you might have chips or small sharp parts that end up on the office floor.

Cheap moccasins or loafers are basically dressier slippers, and although they might not look fantastic, they're easy to take on and off and way better looking than no shoes.

If it's causing you constant discomfort to wear shoes, you might want to visit a podiatrist.

harperdc posted:

This, though, is nonsense. Don't be that guy who takes off his shoes for some little 3-hour hop, but there's a reason they hand out slippers on long-haul flights.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Space Gopher posted:

"No shirt, no shoes, no service" is not an unreasonable office dress code, especially in an office that's attached to a shop, where you might have chips or small sharp parts that end up on the office floor.

The issue is that someone decided that they needed to report it to someone above me instead of maybe suggesting something like this, or even asking me to put my shoes on.

As I said I don't exactly know who it is but my prime suspect spends 99% of the time hiding in an office with the door closed, has no actual business in my cubicle, and decided to make a huge exclamation about it.

It just chaps my rear end that someone would go and report it to one of my superiors without even bothering to be even semi-polite about it first.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

priznat posted:

People saying/doing dumb racist poo poo on social media and getting fired after is currently the top spectator sport (sorry esports)
¿por qué no los dos? Looking at you, Kyle Larson.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Space Gopher posted:

Cheap moccasins or loafers are basically dressier slippers, and although they might not look fantastic, they're easy to take on and off and way better looking than no shoes.

If it's causing you constant discomfort to wear shoes, you might want to visit a podiatrist.

Exactly to every single point here. Get a pair of office loafers, keep them under your desk, all problems go away.

I disagree with not taking off shoes in your seat on the plane, though. Take 'em off all you want. By the time people get through security, board the plane, get to their seats and get an hour into the flight, every single person on that plane looks and smells like poo poo anyway. Who cares if you're not wearing your shoes? (Caveat: Leave your socks on you filthy animal.)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Why would I wear a pair of shoes entirely to make my feet and socks all sweaty and smelly at the end of every day? Socks in the office rule.

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Sundae posted:

Exactly to every single point here. Get a pair of office loafers, keep them under your desk, all problems go away.

If you wear socks the same colour as your loafers, it's hard for people to tell if you've slipped them off for a little airing of the feet.

And if people can smell your feet from a couple of cubicles over, that's a whole different issue.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I like to microwave my socks at the office to kill any odor causing bacteria.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jaguars! posted:

Why would I wear a pair of shoes entirely to make my feet and socks all sweaty and smelly at the end of every day? Socks in the office rule.

Next up on your agenda is finding new shoes. Those things you're wearing are actually ziplock bags. :v:

Tomfoolery posted:

I like to microwave my socks at the office to kill any odor causing bacteria.

Oh sweet, now I know how I'm going to quit my next job. Thanks!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Jaguars! posted:

:hai:

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
This entire discussion makes me appreciate working from home right now a little more. Want to wear shoes? Sure go for it, take your pick. Don't? Just keep your feet out of the camera frame. But stressing about shoes is off the table either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

This entire discussion makes me appreciate working from home right now a little more. Want to wear shoes? Sure go for it, take your pick. Don't? Just keep your feet out of the camera frame. But stressing about shoes is off the table either way.

The real WFH winner is no bra! I saw an ad the other day for a "bra for when you haven't worn a bra in two weeks." More like three months.