Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
what did you telly fanatic addicts think of Inside Number 9 last week?

i had thought they had all died and were undergoing some final test of character but in hindsight the music should have been the giveaway

I do like how they put in a couple of League of Gentlemen throwbacks, chiefly:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
Yeah, it was really good. Great cast. Hope the rest of the series is as good.

With the snooker being over, I've had a chance to catch up on some TV. Blue Lights S2 is really great.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I've watched both seasons of Blue Lights back to back and season 2 feels like a pretty dramatic step down.

90% of that is because no Gerry though. :(

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I've been watching Ladhood on iPlayer a lot recently, as it completely slipped me by until someone at work mentioned it.

It's Liam William's sitcom (that bloke who has been in that thing) about his life and how it has been shaped by growing up in Garforth, Leeds, touching on themes of masculinity. Kind of a Northern English Derry Girls vibe to it, I'm really enjoying it. poo poo title though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5bu6htDfec

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I haven't seen the first series since it aired a year ago, so my memory of it isn't all that clear, but I really liked both series.

Yeah, Gerry was great and none of the newer characters really took on his role at all. Also, there was a bit too much relationship stuff in the second series. It didn't really take away from it, but I don't really care if two characters get together or not. The "call out of the week" that wasn't linked to the main plot was also a bit unnecessary. It worked for character development, but was a bit clunky.

What I liked better about the second series was that it was focused on Loyalists, who I find more interesting because they're just scum. Not that Republicans aren't, but in my experience, that bloke with the Combat 18 tattoo was a fairly accurate portrayal. I also though Lee was a good character.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is it related to those other -hood films from a bunch of years back?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

EL BROMANCE posted:

No, which is why it’s a terrible title

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah I thought that so was a bit apprehensive, since I only really thought Kidulthood was any good. But yeah, nothing to do with it

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ha! Never saw the films and put off the show because of it. There are dozens of us!

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mickolution posted:

I haven't seen the first series since it aired a year ago, so my memory of it isn't all that clear, but I really liked both series.

Yeah, Gerry was great and none of the newer characters really took on his role at all. Also, there was a bit too much relationship stuff in the second series. It didn't really take away from it, but I don't really care if two characters get together or not. The "call out of the week" that wasn't linked to the main plot was also a bit unnecessary. It worked for character development, but was a bit clunky.

What I liked better about the second series was that it was focused on Loyalists, who I find more interesting because they're just scum. Not that Republicans aren't, but in my experience, that bloke with the Combat 18 tattoo was a fairly accurate portrayal. I also though Lee was a good character.

I feel like the Loyalist story could've used an extra episode in the beginning to flesh things out. Before we even know who any of these people are Lee has already got an army and taken over. It just felt a bit out of nowhere.

They could've given him Jen's screen time. As much as that story had a nice resolution it all felt very "we need to give this character something to do this season" and could have been cut without losing anything.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

stev posted:

I feel like the Loyalist story could've used an extra episode in the beginning to flesh things out. Before we even know who any of these people are Lee has already got an army and taken over. It just felt a bit out of nowhere.

They could've given him Jen's screen time. As much as that story had a nice resolution it all felt very "we need to give this character something to do this season" and could have been cut without losing anything.

Totally agree on the Jen storyline. It was so blatant that it would be something her awful mother did years ago.

Felt like they were trying to make her like Prez from The Wire a little bit. poo poo cop unsuited to the job who redeemed themselves a bit, but went on to have a more suitable career that will play into the main story. Hopefully her being in it gives us a good storyline in the next series, if there is one. Not sure if it's been renewed, but I'd be surprised if it wasn't. There's a LOT of that type of poo poo that never came out.

I get what you mean about the Loyalists, but I reckon it could have gotten bogged down a little explaining it while we got enough from (I think) Murray explaining it to (I think) Shane...drug dealing, loan sharking and extortion, that's all we really needed to know about them.

Also, the pub is for sale in real life:
https://www.propertypal.com/the-cock-and-hen-3-lord-street-belfast/577487

It's so horrible, I love it.

For anyone who hasn't seen it, Once Upon A Time In Northern Ireland from around this time last year was a fantastic series. From the people who made Once Upon A Time In Iraq, it's the same idea, whereby the talking heads are the people who were there, not politicians or historians or whatever. The Spotlight on the Troubles series from a few years ago had all that stuff and is also worth a look.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

crispix posted:

what did you telly fanatic addicts think of Inside Number 9 last week?

i had thought they had all died and were undergoing some final test of character but in hindsight the music should have been the giveaway

I do like how they put in a couple of League of Gentlemen throwbacks, chiefly:

I thought at first it was actually real aliens choosing people for another round of anal probing, lol. A wonderfully unnerving episode, a good start for the final series.

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I can't believe that last nights Inside no 9. was the first ever ep with only Pemberton and Shearsmith. Ending reminded me of The Vanishing.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Annabel Pee posted:

I can't believe that last nights Inside no 9. was the first ever ep with only Pemberton and Shearsmith. Ending reminded me of The Vanishing.

Huh, didn't realise that. Was sure they'd done a two hander before. Must have been some with another character showing up for a scene or two at the start/end.

A couple of bits from last night that I probably just missed...

Why was Pemberton's character in the hotel room on the night she died? Did he kill her? Was self immolation Shearsmith's plan all along? Did he get the petrol from the boot of the car? What was his plan if the boot wasn't open?

Pemberton seems to be having the time of his life in the first two episodes.

edit: Just read this on the Wiki for next week's episode. Mild spoiler:
This episode is filmed using a fixed doorbell camera. Could be interesting.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 09:34 on May 16, 2024

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Tom and Geri is very close to a two-handler but has brief appearances by Geri and by Tom's friend

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
Bernie Clifton's close to one as well I think but it has the daughter at the end.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think this most recent episode qualifies as a two hander either tbh.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

For all those who dislike Tim Lovejoy, I bring good news! Someone has uploaded That Clip from Soccer AM in (a) much more quality (b) with much more of the reaction after It happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkteEr4xPs

I'm so happy to know that my memory of the entire show coming to a screeching halt where everyone just laughed at him and nobody showed any kind of concern or sympathy whatsoever is 100% accurate...

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
the size of those trousers

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
loving hell the 90s were horrible

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Trin Tragula posted:

For all those who dislike Tim Lovejoy, I bring good news! Someone has uploaded That Clip from Soccer AM in (a) much more quality (b) with much more of the reaction after It happens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omkteEr4xPs

I'm so happy to know that my memory of the entire show coming to a screeching halt where everyone just laughed at him and nobody showed any kind of concern or sympathy whatsoever is 100% accurate...

I can smell this video

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Jrbg posted:

I can smell this video

Carling and Lynx Africa

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
can someone give me the background to that? :)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The 90s were a wasteland of laddish goings-on. Fantasy football, Loaded magazine, The Word on channel 4, etc

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I wish The Word was on All4 or something. The bands they had on were solid, but I never really saw that many episodes of it. Can’t remember if it was one of those shows that S4C liked to screw over.

Eurotrash, however, was a Friday night staple.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I remember someone getting stomach pumped live on the Word.

Eurotrash was great, and I’m surprised how game Jean-Paul Gautier was to come back when they briefly revived it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I'm not a huge fan of true crime stuff, but I remember this being in the news and it's batshit. Two eps tonight and two tomorrow. Could be good.

My favourite bit of the story is the police's claim that it was the same bloke because he had the same tattoo. Seems reasonable. His defense was that someone must have tattooed him while he was in the coma.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 09:31 on May 20, 2024

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Mickolution posted:

I'm not a huge fan of true crime stuff, but I remember this being in the news and it's batshit. Two eps tonight and two tomorrow. Could be good.

lol. the clip of him in an interview trying to stand up to prove he can't stand up while wearing an unplugged oxygen mask is an all timer

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

lol. the clip of him in an interview trying to stand up to prove he can't stand up while wearing an unplugged oxygen mask is an all timer

Lol, just looked it up and I somehow hadn't seen that before. The accent!

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
I thought it was a Matt Lucas character when i first saw a clip of him a couple of years ago

the bloke could easily be our next tory prime minister imo

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Mickolution posted:

Not sure it needed to be 4 episodes long, but I'm 2 episodes in and the whole thing is both staggeringly awful and staggeringly weird so far. (Love the pub landlord who clocked he wasn't British because he didn't know what coronation chicken was.)

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003
I was mainly confused by what's included so far about tattoos, as that was one of the first stories I read about it, i.e.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-63555232

snipped from bbc posted:

Nicholas Rossi: Alleged fugitive says he was tattooed in hospital

But the man told the court: "Throughout the 18 days I was comatosed, I did not have free will over my body. I have never had tattoos prior to being in hospital."

Advocate depute Paul Harvey asked him to clarify if the tattoos appeared on his body while he was in a coma, to which he replied: "Yes" and that he "raised it with the hospital administration".

The man added: "They were put there to make it look like I am this Nicholas Rossi.

"All I can say is that when I awoke from the coma, there were tattoos on my person and they were not identical to what appears on these screens."

But from episode 2 it sounded like a journo saying he had none and no evidence of removal

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I've been watching Bodkin on Netflix (okay it's not british, it's irish) but it's very nice to see something be really irish on netflix.
It's even had Pauline McLynn and Pat Shortt in it which was interesting to see.

I'd say it's not GREAT - there's a lot of "characters don't see something until the camera does even when it doesn't make sense" and a few coincidences that feel a bit too much to me. But it's still an interesting enough mystery

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I was intrigued by the premise but I just can't watch anything with Will Forte. I overdosed on him in The Last Man on Earth or something, can't stand him at all anymore.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Paladinus posted:

I was intrigued by the premise but I just can't watch anything with Will Forte. I overdosed on him in The Last Man on Earth or something, can't stand him at all anymore.

Thankfully I only really know him as the mayor from gravity falls

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Taear posted:

Thankfully I only really know him as the mayor from gravity falls

And Rad Cunningham from Moonbeam City.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

And in completely unrelated news, some Masterchef spoilers - don't read this if you haven't watched the most recently released two episodes, NOT the broadcast one.
Sad that Abi went, I really don't like Louise. I feel like every single year for me in MasterChef the final 3 I'll like two of them and then the worst one will win so I REALLY don't want Louise to win.
Makes me think of Kenny all over again

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

The 90s were a wasteland of laddish goings-on. Fantasy football, Loaded magazine, The Word on channel 4, etc

I recently purchased a copy of Loaded magazine from 2002 (because i'm in it) and it has aged incredibly badly.

That Lovejoy clip was from 2001, so "lasses in footy but only for blokes to perv over" was in full swing. Bringing in the Soccerettes and making Tubes a main character was when Soccer AM started to go downhill at a rapid pace IMO.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Fenners was the only funny one in the original crew

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Taear posted:

I've been watching Bodkin on Netflix (okay it's not british, it's irish) but it's very nice to see something be really irish on netflix.
It's even had Pauline McLynn and Pat Shortt in it which was interesting to see.

I'd say it's not GREAT - there's a lot of "characters don't see something until the camera does even when it doesn't make sense" and a few coincidences that feel a bit too much to me. But it's still an interesting enough mystery

there's loads of good irish poo poo on streaming services now, it's great.

RTE's Obituary is one I watched the other day. Basically Dexter but in a newspaper office. Really enjoyed it.